PDA

View Full Version : Question for those who go to all the away games

Mag7
15-09-2009, 11:58 AM
As somebody who used to go to almost every away game until work/family commitments took over, I remember I used to be reasonably content if Hibs drew the game as it seemed we'd been rewarded with SOMETHING for making the trip. Losing was always dreadful as it made the journey home pretty gloomy. I'm talking mainly about the days when it was only 2 points for a win (which makes me realise it's quite some time since I used to follow Hibs home and away) and a point was of greater value than it is now.

With it being 3 points for a win these days, it means that if you win one game and lose the next, it's still a better points return than drawing both games. My question to those who still go to all the away games is would you prefer to see Hibs draw every game and thus have something tangible to take from the day or would you prefer if they won 50% of the games but lost the other 50%, thus ensuring a better points tally but also ensuring a large number of miserable trips home?

Hibercelona
15-09-2009, 12:04 PM
As somebody who used to go to almost every away game until work/family commitments took over, I remember I used to be reasonably content if Hibs drew the game as it seemed we'd been rewarded with SOMETHING for making the trip. Losing was always dreadful as it made the journey home pretty gloomy. I'm talking mainly about the days when it was only 2 points for a win (which makes me realise it's quite some time since I used to follow Hibs home and away) and a point was of greater value than it is now.

With it being 3 points for a win these days, it means that if you win one game and lose the next, it's still a better points return than drawing both games. My question to those who still go to all the away games is would you prefer to see Hibs draw every game and thus have something tangible to take from the day or would you prefer if they won 50% of the games but lost the other 50%, thus ensuring a better points tally but also ensuring a large number of miserable trips home?

Don't go to all the away games.

But if someone came to me with an offer that would ensure Hibs win 50% of there away games.... I would bite their hand off. :agree:

CB_NO3
15-09-2009, 12:08 PM
Hibs have had a very poor away record for the past 10 15 years now, its really dissapointing. If you want to be successfull and come third we need to be beating the likes of St Mirren, Hamilton and St Johnstone away. Kilmarnock is always a hard place to go to so a point their is a decnt result imo. Times have changed though, when I was growing up in the 90s getting beat 1-0 or 2-1 from the Old Firm was a good result, now I expect to get a point at least. But to answer your question about miserbale trips home, it doesn't really bother me as such, you just get used to it being a Hibby, we always do everything the hard way

mim
15-09-2009, 12:17 PM
It's really a no-brainer. If we win half of our away games, we should finish third.

19 away games; say we win 9 and lose 10 - that's 27 points away from home.

The last time we finished third, we won 9 away and drew 3 for 30 points.

Alex B
15-09-2009, 12:19 PM
I'd take a draw every time if it meant avoiding days like last Sunday!

Mag7
15-09-2009, 12:23 PM
It's really a no-brainer. If we win half of our away games, we should finish third.

19 away games; say we win 9 and lose 10 - that's 27 points away from home.

The last time we finished third, we won 9 away and drew 3 for 30 points.

That's not really the issue I was addressing in the question. It was more to do with the psyche of the away day when I'd suggest picking up a point every time makes for a happier day out than losing every other game.

All hypothetical and never going to happen either way I know, but I'm sure some understand what I'm getting at.

Alicky Ranks
15-09-2009, 01:07 PM

I guess you'd probably just stop going to the away games we were going to lose :wink:

I know what you're getting at though. I used to travel away a lot too and it was effin grim coming back from the likes of Pittodrie after getting beat so yeh, a point every time would probably be what most away day travellers would pick.

Mag7
15-09-2009, 01:16 PM
Hibs have had a very poor away record for the past 10 15 years now, its really dissapointing. If you want to be successfull and come third we need to be beating the likes of St Mirren, Hamilton and St Johnstone away. Kilmarnock is always a hard place to go to so a point their is a decnt result imo. Times have changed though, when I was growing up in the 90s getting beat 1-0 or 2-1 from the Old Firm was a good result, now I expect to get a point at least. But to answer your question about miserbale trips home, it doesn't really bother me as such, you just get used to it being a Hibby, we always do everything the hard way

That's the bit I used to find strange about a lot of guys on the buses. You'd never have known by their mood if we'd won or lost, they were just the same either way. As for me, I'd be singing all the way home if we won but just sitting there wondering why I'd bothered going if we got beat!

LancashireHibby
15-09-2009, 01:19 PM
That's not really the issue I was addressing in the question. It was more to do with the psyche of the away day when I'd suggest picking up a point every time makes for a happier day out than losing every other game.

All hypothetical and never going to happen either way I know, but I'm sure some understand what I'm getting at.

But then you wouldn't experience the highs of the wins either.

Steve20
15-09-2009, 01:56 PM
As someone who goes to almost all the away games, I would take the 50% wins easily. Better chance of finishing higher in the league. The draws may avoid the total miserable journey home when we lose, but there would be no real high of a game we win.

Joe Baker II
15-09-2009, 01:57 PM
Think it depends on overall package - was game good even if we lost, stadium, policing/stewarding, good or bad pubs, drinks on car/train/bus, who we were playing, nature of defeat etc.

blackpoolhibs
15-09-2009, 02:00 PM
Every game is an away game for us lot, in fact Sundays game is our nearest match unless Gretna ever get back, and are allowed to play their home games in Gretna.:greengrin

monktonharp
15-09-2009, 10:08 PM
Every game is an away game for us lot, in fact Sundays game is our nearest match unless Gretna ever get back, and are allowed to play their home games in Gretna.:greengrinI met 2 guys,with a laddie 10years old in a club in Hamilton ,they'd travelled up from Leamington Spa to see the Hibees,hope they were not scunnered.coversely,sitting next to me at the game were 3 older guys with west coast accents,told me they were Hibees but lived in Hamilton

franks
16-09-2009, 09:01 AM
Would take winning 50% of games over draws. Sunday I had a great day until the fitba started. What really cheesed me off about Sunday was the display rather than the result, if we had played well and lost it wouldn't have been so bad but the thought on the way home that I might face another away season like last was depressing.

If we play reasonably well I would take the high of a win every second game for the low of defeat the rest. Roller coaster rather that merry-go-round.

Bob1875
16-09-2009, 09:29 AM
Out of interest, does anyone know why it was changed from 2 points for a win to 3?

MSK
16-09-2009, 09:37 AM
Out of interest, does anyone know why it was changed from 2 points for a win to 3?I think the extra point was to encourage teams to go for a win, make the game more entertaining as opposed to teams setting up for a draw with the bonus of an extra point ..

I could be a bit of there as the old head is a bit rusty ..

WindyMiller
16-09-2009, 11:25 AM
As an aside, it seems to me that the travelling support is much older than it was when I went in the 60's and 70's.
Saturday's crowd also consisted of a fair few couples.
We Uberfans seem to be old romantics and like to treat our wimmin' to the odd day oot.

Franck is God
16-09-2009, 12:08 PM
I tend to go to about half our away games every season and generally leave happy if I think we have played well and competed in the match, sometimes the result goes your way and sometimes it doesn't.

I am a football romantic/idiot at times and think that the way we play at times is more important than the result. Except against the Infirm or Jambos where any kind of win deserved or not is brilliant expecially away from home!

Hermit Crab
16-09-2009, 05:43 PM
50% of away games defo. I go to all away games and other than away to the bigot brothers because you get hee haw from refs there you've got to be looking to win at most other spl teams like hamilton st mirren and falkirks no disrespect to these teams but we are surely a class above them with the playes we have. In recent years however we have succumed to these smaller teams with some really ugly performances when we really should have been looking to get atleast 1 point.

As for the gloomy journey home i dont mind that because you head out the boozer after and have a bevy with yer mates and forget all about it. Unless we lose to the yams. But thats just what happens when you folllow Hibs. More high and lows than Micheal Fish! Would'nt change it for the world though. :greengrin:greengrin :thumbsup: