PDA

View Full Version : How Many Managers Would Admit To This?

Speedway
15-09-2009, 10:42 AM
He insisted there is plenty of talent at Easter Road, but stressed that means nothing if it is not coupled with simple hard graft: "I've got to put my hands up and admit that, with hindsight, I probably played the wrong team against Hamilton. I think we were maybe a bit lightweight, we didn't put a team out who would make sure that Hamilton knew they were in a battle. All over the pitch we lost our one-on-ones.
"You've got to have that edge to your character and to your game and it was missing on Sunday.

"The talent is here but hard work beats talent every time when talent doesn't work hard. Talent on its own is not enough. You need to put everything into a game to get something back out of it."

Hughes had his side in for a post-mortem yesterday and feels that he proved his point to the players, adding: "We've done things a bit differently this week. We had the players in on Monday, we didn't think that they deserved a day off.
"We split them into three seven-a-side teams and we really thought about how we were splitting them up. And it worked because one of the teams went out, worked really hard and won every match.

"The rest of the boys recognised that and we didn't have to say too much to them.

"I am looking for a positive response from them. If people want to feel sorry for themselves then they are no good to me.

"If any one of the players who played in that game on Sunday can come and knock on my door to complain if they are left out of the side this weekend, then they have got a real brass neck."

Full article here: http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/Stokes-and-Miller-set-the.5646829.jp

Honesty from Yogi.

Hibs7
15-09-2009, 10:47 AM
already posted :greengrin and I thought you were not allowed to copy and paste for copyright laws !!!!

blackpoolhibs
15-09-2009, 10:54 AM
I think its great he realizes what we all thought was wrong on Sunday. Under Mixu it would have been a fantastic effort from the boys, who were unlucky to lose. That was the easy part, the hard part will be putting it right, i said a couple of weeks ago he has a few very difficult decisions to make, regarding his captain and his goalkeeper. He's made the decision with Maka, his next one needs to be done now too. Get Murray in beside Bamba, and either go with a 4-4-2. or maybe a 3-5-2, i believe we have the players for both. But he needs to get back to 2 up front, and those 2 have to be Riordan and Stokes.

Jim44
15-09-2009, 11:49 AM
I think its great he realizes what we all thought was wrong on Sunday. Under Mixu it would have been a fantastic effort from the boys, who were unlucky to lose. That was the easy part, the hard part will be putting it right, i said a couple of weeks ago he has a few very difficult decisions to make, regarding his captain and his goalkeeper. He's made the decision with Maka, his next one needs to be done now too. Get Murray in beside Bamba, and either go with a 4-4-2. or maybe a 3-5-2, i believe we have the players for both. But he needs to get back to 2 up front, and those 2 have to be Riordan and Stokes.

Nah, he reads Hibs.net, that's all. :greengrin

Isaac_Refvik
15-09-2009, 11:52 AM
He insisted there is plenty of talent at Easter Road, but stressed that means nothing if it is not coupled with simple hard graft: "I've got to put my hands up and admit that, with hindsight, I probably played the wrong team against Hamilton. I think we were maybe a bit lightweight, we didn't put a team out who would make sure that Hamilton knew they were in a battle. All over the pitch we lost our one-on-ones.
"You've got to have that edge to your character and to your game and it was missing on Sunday.

"The talent is here but hard work beats talent every time when talent doesn't work hard. Talent on its own is not enough. You need to put everything into a game to get something back out of it."

Hughes had his side in for a post-mortem yesterday and feels that he proved his point to the players, adding: "We've done things a bit differently this week. We had the players in on Monday, we didn't think that they deserved a day off.
"We split them into three seven-a-side teams and we really thought about how we were splitting them up. And it worked because one of the teams went out, worked really hard and won every match.

"The rest of the boys recognised that and we didn't have to say too much to them.

"I am looking for a positive response from them. If people want to feel sorry for themselves then they are no good to me.

"If any one of the players who played in that game on Sunday can come and knock on my door to complain if they are left out of the side this weekend, then they have got a real brass neck."

Full article here: http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/Stokes-and-Miller-set-the.5646829.jp

Honesty from Yogi.

Never understood this 'put out a physical side to play a physical side' stuff. Hamilton play that way every week so are used to it. If Barcelona were to play Hamilton, would they put in their big cloggers or would they rely on good football to beat physical football?
I never saw the Brazil team of the 70's change their style whoever they were playing.

Dan Sarf
15-09-2009, 01:03 PM
By too "lightweight", I think he meant he put too many attackers on and left the midfield weakened. And he is right, he did.

And, as others have said, he has the honesty to admit his mistake.

wee 162
15-09-2009, 01:11 PM

How come Stokes is undroppable? He's had 4 starts and got progressively worse in each one.

I do think he'll come good, but he needs dropped just now for a game or two imo because he's been going backwards. Give Byrne (who's had about 15 minutes on the park so far against sides defending leads) or Benji (who's contributed more than either Nish or Stokes has so far) a chance to partner Riordan from the start on Saturday imo. Bring Stokes on against a tiring side who have been conceding goals and see if he can get one at that point.

Mikeystewart
15-09-2009, 01:20 PM

I agree with that, Mixu was always trying to put a positive spin on things even if it was a woeful performance. Never admiting to his own mistakes and i dont mean coming out and saying that everyone makes mistakes actualy pinpointing his own rather than slating the team effort. As far as im concerned Hughes has already acheived more in 3 months the mixu did in his entire tenour. Being fare to Mixu he did sign some decent players Riordan, Murray etc.

RIP
15-09-2009, 01:43 PM
By too lightweight I presume he means he could have played Nade in midfield?

blackpoolhibs
15-09-2009, 01:54 PM
How come Stokes is undroppable? He's had 4 starts and got progressively worse in each one.

I do think he'll come good, but he needs dropped just now for a game or two imo because he's been going backwards. Give Byrne (who's had about 15 minutes on the park so far against sides defending leads) or Benji (who's contributed more than either Nish or Stokes has so far) a chance to partner Riordan from the start on Saturday imo. Bring Stokes on against a tiring side who have been conceding goals and see if he can get one at that point.

Nish is *****, benji was either injured, he had been with the national squad, or not selected due to ramadan or some other bloody excuse he continually has. And Byrne is not good enough yet, he might be in the future, but have you seen him play? If we were lightweight on Sunday, Byrne imho would have made it worse. The reason i said Stokes and Riordan, was imho they were starting to form a decent partnership, something i cant remember us having in a long time, O'Connor and Riordan was the last proper partnership we had. They had formed an understanding, but for some strange reason, Yogi decided to break it up. I hope he has learnt from Sunday, i have no reason to think he wont.

wee 162
15-09-2009, 02:08 PM
Nish is *****, benji was either injured, he had been with the national squad, or not selected due to ramadan or some other bloody excuse he continually has. And Byrne is not good enough yet, he might be in the future, but have you seen him play? If we were lightweight on Sunday, Byrne imho would have made it worse. The reason i said Stokes and Riordan, was imho they were starting to form a decent partnership, something i cant remember us having in a long time, O'Connor and Riordan was the last proper partnership we had. They had formed an understanding, but for some strange reason, Yogi decided to break it up. I hope he has learnt from Sunday, i have no reason to think he wont.

If you were giving Stokes marks out of 10 for performances then I would say v Falkirk (8) v Brechin (7) v Celtic (6) v Hamilton (4 or 5 and he wasn't the worst in fairness).

Players who are steadily getting worse in their performances should be dropped imo. I'm not talking about him being out forever, I'm saying give the other players who've not got a chance yet an opportunity for a game or two. The games start getting harder after the St Johnstone games (and they won't be a walkover) and if Stokes has ended up not getting any better; then suddenly you have a woefully lacking in confidence Nish, plus Benji and Byrne who haven't kicked a ball in anger for weeks as potential replacements for him when you do have to drop him. And you'll be having to bring them in for games such as trips to Ibrox and Tynecastle, or home games against Aberdeen or Dundee Utd.

The strikers we've got should be giving us options and you can't freeze them out solely to play Riordan and Stokes every week.

blackpoolhibs
15-09-2009, 02:22 PM
If you were giving Stokes marks out of 10 for performances then I would say v Falkirk (8) v Brechin (7) v Celtic (6) v Hamilton (4 or 5 and he wasn't the worst in fairness).
I'd agree with those marks, he had done well in the first 3 games, but had not scored. Yes he was poor against Hamilton, but as you say they all were. You cant drop him after one bad display surely?
Players who are steadily getting worse in their performances should be dropped imo. I'm not talking about him being out forever, I'm saying give the other players who've not got a chance yet an opportunity for a game or two. The games start getting harder after the St Johnstone games (and they won't be a walkover) and if Stokes has ended up not getting any better; then suddenly you have a woefully lacking in confidence Nish, plus Benji and Byrne who haven't kicked a ball in anger for weeks as potential replacements for him when you do have to drop him. And you'll be having to bring them in for games such as trips to Ibrox and Tynecastle, or home games against Aberdeen or Dundee Utd.

The strikers we've got should be giving us options and you can't freeze them out solely to play Riordan and Stokes every week.
I dont think Stokes has got worse, he had 1 bad game, the other 3 were decent performances.
The players not in the 1st 11 will be playing games. They are playing today. They will also get substitution appearances too. If they are good enough, they will force their way into the team, thats the way it normally works. At this moment in time, again imho Nish will never be good enough, Byrne is not good enough to start, and who knows whats wrong with Benji at the moment. So again imho we have only 2 serious starters at the moment, there is no strength in depth up front.

wee 162
15-09-2009, 03:06 PM
I dont think Stokes has got worse, he had 1 bad game, the other 3 were decent performances.
The players not in the 1st 11 will be playing games. They are playing today. They will also get substitution appearances too. If they are good enough, they will force their way into the team, thats the way it normally works. At this moment in time, again imho Nish will never be good enough, Byrne is not good enough to start, and who knows whats wrong with Benji at the moment. So again imho we have only 2 serious starters at the moment, there is no strength in depth up front.

I would say one good performance, 2 middling (and you've got to consider the opposition in those two) and one bad.

Benji has played twice. Came on and won us the game in one of those performances, and done okay against Brechin.

I would say going on that, Benji is probably due a game.

We need to give Byrne a game sooner or later to see what we have with him.

And I don't agree that bounce games are anything like first team games. It's just not the same.

stubru59
15-09-2009, 03:06 PM
The problem we have with Stokes is that his lack of match fitness means we have to give him games to get him up to speed.

A lightweight and ineffective midfield was swamped to the point of nullifying the forwards. That is another way of saying - as Hughes did - that we were crap and lacked any fight.

Sir David Gray
15-09-2009, 03:15 PM
Once again, there's some excellent comments from Yogi but the proof will be in the pudding on Saturday to see if the players have learned anything from Sunday and if the performance is any better.

It surely couldn't be any worse...

blackpoolhibs
15-09-2009, 03:18 PM
I would say one good performance, 2 middling (and you've got to consider the opposition in those two) and one bad.
yes i agree with that
Benji has played twice. Came on and won us the game in one of those performances, and done okay against Brechin.
I thought stokes was better against brechin than benji
I would say going on that, Benji is probably due a game.
Is he fit?
We need to give Byrne a game sooner or later to see what we have with him.
He will get his chance as a sub, he will have to force his way in, yogi is not going to spend what he did on stokes if he thought byrne was good enough.
And I don't agree that bounce games are anything like first team games. It's just not the same.
Yes you are right, although yogi shouldn't weaken the team with players who are not up to it, and keep better on the bench. Sorry i take that back after Sundays shambles.

Hibee_Rab
15-09-2009, 05:08 PM

Personally I would put murray and hogg at cb to free up bamba for midfield. But it is yogi that has to make these difficult descions not me or you.

blackpoolhibs
15-09-2009, 05:21 PM
Personally I would put murray and hogg at cb to free up bamba for midfield. But it is yogi that has to make these difficult descions not me or you.

How do you think Hogg has done so far?

ancient hibee
15-09-2009, 05:33 PM
I've only seen Stokes in the home matches and he was woeful particularly against Brechin when he should have scored at least 3.

I just wish Hughes would shut up for 5 minutes and get on with the job.

Arch Stanton
15-09-2009, 05:38 PM
In terms of managers admitting they got things wrong I have always found Craig Levein to be very honest and informative in his after-game comments as to how his team selection and tactics had fared.

I don't find the 'lightweight' comment from Yogi to be particularly edifying to be honest. Even on this thread there are a few interpretations as to what he really meant by that.

(((Fergus)))
15-09-2009, 06:02 PM
Never understood this 'put out a physical side to play a physical side' stuff. Hamilton play that way every week so are used to it. If Barcelona were to play Hamilton, would they put in their big cloggers or would they rely on good football to beat physical football?
I never saw the Brazil team of the 70's change their style whoever they were playing.

You never saw them kicking lumps out of Holland in 1974?

Stokes was chasing shadows against Celtic, totally ineffectual. Byrne was well out his depth - but then he's just a boy.

I'd play 442 Riordan and Nish with the option of Benji from the bench second half.

Spoony MUST play

sahib
15-09-2009, 06:15 PM

:agree:
Excellent post.
Nice to read something that cuts through the usual cliched solutions that are rolled out in the wake of a defeat like Sunday's one.

Hibby 2005
15-09-2009, 06:33 PM
As long as Yogi never goes back to 3 forwards we'll be ok.

3 up front if it includes a winger can work as they're usually fast and know how to cross a ball.

For the majority of games 4-4-2 will see us allright.

BT58
15-09-2009, 06:37 PM
looking at our defence,,,,,bringing in IAN MURRAY added strength,although i think he should have started on the left
the midfield was the midfield that yogi has played all aseason so far
the strike force was deeks stokes+nish
so i cant really see yogis argument about having too many [fancy/skillful ]players in the team !!!!!!!!!
hell, if you where to drop cregg for say zouma,mcbride for say galbraith, then yip i could see where yogi was coming from
but methinks its just been a BAD DAY at the office for ALL involved
cant we get pc stamp to give BIG hints to yogi the next time he interviews him for HI TO DROP THE 4-3-3,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
and get back to a 4-4-2
hb

hibsbollah
15-09-2009, 06:46 PM

I couldnt disagree more:confused: Stokes and Riordan, supported by Benji and Nish at 3rd and 4th choice, both proven scorers at SPL, with Byrne at 5? Thats plenty strength in depth. If you're looking at areas of the pitch where we need strengthening I suggest theres more pressing areas of concern...

sahib
15-09-2009, 07:03 PM
I couldnt disagree more:confused: Stokes and Riordan, supported by Benji and Nish at 3rd and 4th choice, both proven scorers at SPL, with Byrne at 5? Thats plenty strength in depth. If you're looking at areas of the pitch where we need strengthening I suggest theres more pressing areas of concern...

Where are the goals coming from?

(((Fergus)))
15-09-2009, 07:09 PM

Stokes and Benji once they're up to speed. It's as if we only have three strikers at the moment but they will come good

hibsbollah
15-09-2009, 07:15 PM

The players' record speak for themselves, surely:confused: Stokes 16 in 18 for Falkirk and EPL experience, Riordans, enough said, Benji, 14 goals the only full season he was fully fit, Nish, 5th leading all time scorer in SPL. Would you rather have Motherwell's, Aberdeen's, Dundee Utds, Yams(:devil:) strikeforce instead?

Sir Mixulot
15-09-2009, 09:06 PM

Got to say- didnt want to hav a go but those ratings are incredible. I saw both games and at Falkirk he was very average and should have scored. The brechin game he had acomplete nightmare he couldnt do a thing right and cud have scored 6 goals- certainly shud have had 2 at least.
It bewilders me how irrational the fans can be in their appraisals of players. FWIW I think Stokes will be good for Hibs but had Colin Nish put in the identical performaces in these two games guaranteed ppl wud have been giving him about half the amount. Frustrating.

ancient hibee
15-09-2009, 09:09 PM
Got to say- didnt want to hav a go but those ratings are incredible. I saw both games and at Falkirk he was very average and should have scored. The brechin game he had acomplete nightmare he couldnt do a thing right and cud have scored 6 goals- certainly shud have had 2 at least.
It bewilders me how irrational the fans can be in their appraisals of players. FWIW I think Stokes will be good for Hibs but had Colin Nish put in the identical performaces in these two games guaranteed ppl wud have been giving him about half the amount. Frustrating.

absolutely right.

Hibby Bairn
15-09-2009, 09:37 PM
:agree:
Excellent post.
Nice to read something that cuts through the usual cliched solutions that are rolled out in the wake of a defeat like Sunday's one.

I agree with this. Strength, lightweight etc etc. Why don't we just play our best football players.

Stack
Wotherspoon
Hanlon
Murray
Bamba
Zemmamma
Miller
McBride
Riordan
Stokes
Benji

Simples. :agree:

sahib
15-09-2009, 09:41 PM
The players' record speak for themselves, surely:confused: Stokes 16 in 18 for Falkirk and EPL experience, Riordans, enough said, Benji, 14 goals the only full season he was fully fit, Nish, 5th leading all time scorer in SPL. Would you rather have Motherwell's, Aberdeen's, Dundee Utds, Yams(:devil:) strikeforce instead?

14 in 16 league games is a nice wee run of form.
4 in 64 subsequent league appearances, is not so hot. Although he is now back in the league where he made most impact, he needs to bag one soon to get him off and running as he has had a fairly dry spell. If the Nish stat is genuine then he must be being played in the wrong role or he is just f###ed. I like Benji but he is a wee bit bonkers -in my opinion-and therefore unreliable. Riordan is a steady goal scorer but I don't fancy him and Stokes together .

Sir David Gray
15-09-2009, 10:05 PM
14 in 16 league games is a nice wee run of form.
4 in 64 subsequent league appearances, is not so hot. Although he is now back in the league where he made most impact, he needs to bag one soon to get him off and running as he has had a fairly dry spell. If the Nish stat is genuine then he must be being played in the wrong role or he is just f###ed. I like Benji but he is a wee bit bonkers -in my opinion-and therefore unreliable. Riordan is a steady goal scorer but I don't fancy him and Stokes together .

He is one of only 13 players to have scored more than 50 goals in the SPL but he is 12th equal on the list, not 6th.

blackpoolhibs
15-09-2009, 11:21 PM

IMHO stokes and riordan should be 1st choice starters, nish is just hopeless, benji plays once every time hayleys comet comes round, and byrne is never ready for 1st team football yet. So i couldn't disagree more with you.

wee 162
16-09-2009, 12:43 PM

He played pretty well in the Falkirk game I thought. Was using his pace, timed a few runs, linked up pretty well. Should have scored, but I was putting that down to rustiness. Against Brechin he never scored but he got in loads of good positions, and again his linking up was pretty good. If he had got a goal I would have probably given him an 8 for his performance that night, but marked down due to not taking any of his chances.

And if Nish had put in identical performances to those, I'd have given him exactly the same amount. Not least because it would have meant he'd developed a consistent first touch in the last month.

Hibee_Rab
16-09-2009, 07:08 PM
How do you think Hogg has done so far?

Not great (has the capacity to play a lot better but hasn't been as absolutely terrible as some have made out), but I think having bamba in midfield would take pressure off our defence as he breaks up play before it reaches them and I don't think thicot or mccormack should be at cb at the moment.

Speedway
17-09-2009, 05:51 PM
Thinking about it, Yogi also held his hands up for Stack's hamstring injury when he first singed, so keen was he to get him ready...to sit on the bench.