PDA

View Full Version : NHC burley

18/03/07
15-09-2009, 08:26 AM
Just on SSN that burley expected to keep Scotland job,G.Smith to confirm at noon today

HIBEES 4 LIFE
15-09-2009, 08:41 AM
Just on SSN that burley expected to keep Scotland job,G.Smith to confirm at noon today

For me, that is the correct decision.

Burley has had a poor campaign and maybe under other circumstancies i would give him the bullet. But i think we as a nation need a bit of consistancy and maybe Burley is the man to receive a second chance....

...but mainly cause there is no-one else

Hibbyradge
15-09-2009, 08:45 AM
I agree with this.

He should get 4 years to prove himself.

Having said that, he'll need to show some progress in the friendlies leading up to Euro 2012 qualification.

Imagine if we sacked every manager we employed after only 12 games.

Oh...

Higgy115
15-09-2009, 08:48 AM
Agree, sensible decision from SFA for a change.

I thought they may have told him he can stay as long as he makes up with Kris Boyd to get him back in the squad, cannot stand Boyd but feel he would improve an average bunch of strikers.

Booked4Being-Ugly
15-09-2009, 08:51 AM
There's always the World Cup 2014 qualifiers to look forward to i suppose!

Leithenhibby
15-09-2009, 09:04 AM

I have to agree this is the right decision, if confirmed later today. I did say that this would be the way to go on another thread and if true then I for one would give him every chance to proof himself. We all need a second chance!
sometimes....:wink:

Alicky Ranks
15-09-2009, 09:10 AM
Terrible decision. His record in one of the easiest qualifying groups we've had for many years was a disgrace and it's a big mistake to let him carry on.

jdships
15-09-2009, 09:21 AM

I have to agree this is the right decision, if confirmed
In the cold light of day when you take into consideration the "dross" he had to work with the question has to be asked - Could anyone have done any better ?

There has been a dearth of real talent coming through in Scottish football over the last ten years.
OK one or two have had "the potential" /"looked promising" but virtually none have made it to the top.
This is highlighted by the fact that Burley has had to play Weir, Alexander, Davidson , Hartley and a few others who are in the twilight of their careers simply because there was no one to replace them.
Put alongside them a few others who have been "tried and found guilty" over the past years but whom he had to play for the same reason and there is a good argument for him keeping his job

We all know that , at whatever level , a manager is " only as good as his last result" but I genuinely feel Burley should be given the thumbs up at this time.

:thumbsup:

blackpoolhibs
15-09-2009, 09:53 AM
Agree, sensible decision from SFA for a change.

I thought they may have told him he can stay as long as he makes up with Kris Boyd to get him back in the squad, cannot stand Boyd but feel he would improve an average bunch of strikers.

Boyd made himself unavailable for his country, Burley only told him to get fitter and in the rangers side. Burley has done nothing wrong. Boyd has made his bed.

poolman
15-09-2009, 10:14 AM
Boyd made himself unavailable for his country, Burley only told him to get fitter and in the rangers side. Burley has done nothing wrong. Boyd has made his bed.

And he can ****in go and lie in it :dummytit:

Huffy git

blackpoolhibs
15-09-2009, 10:16 AM

And he can ****in go and lie in it :dummytit:

:top marks One of the good things if Burley keeps his job, is hopefully Boyd keeps his stance and keeps as far away from the national team as possible.

Higgy115
15-09-2009, 10:17 AM

I totally agree with you but with all the bad press surrounding the Scotland team recently and with Burley stating that he wishes to remain in the job, i'm sure the SFA may see it as an opportunity to force Burleys hand in going back to Boyd and make out that we NEED him to come back. Totally the wrong way to do it in my opinion but probably the only way to get the huffy lump back in the squad as i cannot see him returning any other way (unless Burley goes).

blackpoolhibs
15-09-2009, 10:22 AM
I totally agree with you but with all the bad press surrounding the Scotland team recently and with Burley stating that he wishes to remain in the job, i'm sure the SFA may see it as an opportunity to force Burleys hand in going back to Boyd and make out that we NEED him to come back. Totally the wrong way to do it in my opinion but probably the only way to get the huffy lump back in the squad as i cannot see him returning any other way (unless Burley goes).

Burley wouldn't let Romanov pick the team, i don't think he'd take to kindly to the SFA picking his squad for him.

McD
15-09-2009, 10:25 AM

This would surely only undermine Burley further in the eyes of the players.

If twats like boyd, ferguson, mcgregor etc want to act up and abuse the priviledge of being selected to represent their country, sod them, let them rot, and regret later.

Boyd would add to the striker options, but not at the cost of pandering to his whims.

Liberal Hibby
15-09-2009, 10:34 AM
Good decision if true. What Scotland needs is someone with a longer term vision who can build a squad (so no Boyd). If you chop and change your managers every two years - there's no continuity or progression - just knee jerk reaction to every poor result(s).

Leithenhibby
15-09-2009, 11:15 AM
Good decision if true. What Scotland needs is someone with a longer term vision who can build a squad (so no Boyd). If you chop and change your managers every two years - there's no continuity or progression - just knee jerk reaction to every poor result(s).

Have to agree, it's the way forward and as everything in this world, we are never in a million years going to keep everyone happy. So lets get behind our country and move on.

iwasthere1972
15-09-2009, 11:25 AM

The correct decision as far as I am concerned. Hope he gets all the support that he deserves from the players this time and that none of them go in the cream puff if they're not picked.

No player has the devine right to play for Scotland.....they have to work for it.

poolman
15-09-2009, 11:26 AM

Total nonsense IMO

Whats with all this clamour from some people to get this petulant Hun back in the Scotland team

He doesn't even command a starting game for the Huns each week

Let him rot

Sir David Gray
15-09-2009, 12:00 PM
Terrible decision. His record in one of the easiest qualifying groups we've had for many years was a disgrace and it's a big mistake to let him carry on.

:agree: Although Peat and Smith should have gone with him, Burley should not continue as Scotland manager.

We have won THREE out of the TWELVE matches that Burley has been in charge of and two of those victories came against Iceland, who are ranked 96th in the world.

We also finished 3rd in our qualifying group behind Norway who also hammered us 4-0.

The SFA needs a complete overhaul, starting with the three men at the top, before we can even contemplate moving forwards.

Andy74
15-09-2009, 12:00 PM
Total nonsense IMO

Whats with all this clamour from some people to get this petulant Hun back in the Scotland team

He doesn't even command a starting game for the Huns each week

Let him rot

Boyd's timing was childish, he wasn't in the Rangers team so couldn't really be picked. A few weeks later he was back in the team and scoring goals and he would have been right back in the Scotland team.

He acted like an idiot at the wrong time.

'Mon the Hibs
15-09-2009, 12:15 PM
For me, that is the correct decision.

Burley has had a poor campaign and maybe under other circumstancies i would give him the bullet. But i think we as a nation need a bit of consistancy and maybe Burley is the man to receive a second chance....

...but mainly cause there is no-one else

john Collins :hmmm: :agree::thumbsup:

Seriously think he could do a job. Dicipline, plays the game the right way and won't be with players for long enough spells to pi$$ them all off! :devil:

JE89
15-09-2009, 12:22 PM
Bad decision. We should have benefitted from being in the 'wee' group but didn't.

Losing to Macedonia away was a shocking result as was Norway which was an utter embaressment.

We should comfortably beat Icealand home and away and thankfully we got maximum points against them (which if we had been in a 6 country group and finished 2nd this would count as 0 if Im correct)

Burley kept his job because we beat Macedonia at home and played well (but lost) against Holland. This does not make him a good manager and the right man for the job.

He plays 4-5-1 against teams that we are the favourite for and should not be given another chance. Get Strachen or Levein in :agree:

Onceinawhile
15-09-2009, 12:38 PM
It's the choice I would have gone with, there is no one else for starters.

I would however like him to take his blinkers off and look eastwards for a few players.

I would get shot off Alexander, Davidson, Weir, Miller

and bring in Wallace and Riordan.

The spine of a good squad is definitely there

Gordon
Whittaker Hutton
Brown Fletcher Mcfadden

Hopefully Berra can develop in the EPL and partner Mcmanus, who whilst not world class is steady and decent, we just need some strikers who can score!

heretoday
15-09-2009, 01:16 PM
He may as well stay in the job. There's no one else much who comes to mind.

At least we're spared the sight of possible contender G.Strachan on our screens for a while.

Mag7
15-09-2009, 01:21 PM
He may as well stay in the job. There's no one else much who comes to mind.

At least we're spared the sight of possible contender G.Strachan on our screens for a while.

That's such a defeatist way of looking at it. Do you mean there are no other SCOTTISH managers out there? Believe me, if the job becomes available there will be plenty of interest and despite getting it badly wrong with Vogts, we should look to England and Northern Ireland to see how a good foreign manager can turn things around.

Burley has been a failure for Scotland and should not be allowed to continue on the basis of a too little, too late display against Holland.