PDA

View Full Version : UEFA say it's ok to dive

Danderhall Hibs
14-09-2009, 06:35 PM
Eduardo has won his appeal and can play in the CL games this midweek.

From here. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/8236689.stm)

That's UEFA opened the floodgates.

Hibercelona
14-09-2009, 06:42 PM
"We were able to show there was contact between the keeper and Eduardo and that the decision should be annulled," a Gunners statement said.

I'm sorry..... me and millions of other people must have just missed the "contact" in the replays.

NOLA
14-09-2009, 06:48 PM
surely the powers that be can zoom in on the supposed contact area and slow it down frame by frame on the tv footage instead of just viewing the incident from a different angle :confused:

Danderhall Hibs
14-09-2009, 06:50 PM
surely the powers that be can zoom in on the supposed contact area and slow it down frame by frame on the tv footage instead of just viewing the incident from a different angle :confused:

They shouldn't have to do that for this incident - he clearly wasn't touched. Instead of taking a stand on this they've open the door for anyone that fancies cheating.

blackpoolhibs
14-09-2009, 06:50 PM
Unbelievable.:confused:

Hibercelona
14-09-2009, 06:52 PM
They shouldn't have to do that for this incident - he clearly wasn't touched. Instead of taking a stand on this they've open the door for anyone that fancies cheating.

We're going to see a huge diving frenzy now... I guarantee it. :agree:

Danderhall Hibs
14-09-2009, 06:53 PM
We're going to see a huge diving frenzy now... I guarantee it. :agree:

If you get caught it's worth the booking, if you don't get caught...

It's a win/win for the cheats.

WindyMiller
14-09-2009, 06:56 PM
I don't think this will make any difference. Players dive in every part of the pitch to gain an advantage. This decision just means that there will be no retrospective punishment, for the big clubs.

Hibercelona
14-09-2009, 06:57 PM

I can see it now....

They get all 10 outfield players booked for diving.... then the next thing you know.... they get their goalie to run out and have a go at it as well. :greengrin

TheEastTerrace
14-09-2009, 07:07 PM
Well done UEFA :rules::worms:

number 27
14-09-2009, 07:15 PM
Am I the only person who thought there was contact :confused:

Each time I see the incident Boruc catches him. Yes it is slight and there was no need to go down but at the same time time there was no need for the hysterical witch hunt.

IMO of course.

lapsedhibee
14-09-2009, 07:18 PM

Each time I see the incident Boruc catches him. Yes it is slight and there was no need to go down but at the same time time there was no need for the hysterical witch hunt.

IMO of course.

No.

There was slight contact, but after Eduardo had decided to go down. Just as there was the following week when Rooney decided to go down against Arsenal. No witch hunt that time because Rooney's not a foreigner and British players don't go in for diving. :fibber:

MrSmith
14-09-2009, 07:20 PM
I saw the tosser trip over his own feet!

absolutely appalling by UEFA!

Now we know eh??:grr::grr:

Hibstrooper
14-09-2009, 07:23 PM
I think they've made the right decision here.

I'm confident it was a dive and I bet UEFA know it too. However The punishment for diving is a yellow card - are you going to go back and start giving out 2 game bans for players however only situations where the ref missed it?

As WindyMiller pointed out it would only be bigger clubs who would lose in this situation.

They had set a dangerous predecent with the decision that would have been a nightmare to uphold.

Woody1985
14-09-2009, 07:23 PM

A bit like crime in our society. :LOL:

Sylar
14-09-2009, 09:21 PM
Had Arsene Wenger and Arsenal not kicked up a stink about Scots within UEFA leading a "witchunt" against his player, then the decision would NOT have been reversed IMO.

UEFA are trying to save face with one of the "bigger powers" in European Football, but I agree with all of the above, that it opens a huge can of worms.

On the night, in real-time speed, I was convinced it was a penalty, so the referee (IMO) was right to award the spot kick, but the slowed down video is conclusive, and I can't see where the contact was at all!

Sir David Gray
14-09-2009, 09:27 PM

I'm confident it was a dive and I bet UEFA know it too. However The punishment for diving is a yellow card - are you going to go back and start giving out 2 game bans for players however only situations where the ref missed it?

As WindyMiller pointed out it would only be bigger clubs who would lose in this situation.

They had set a dangerous predecent with the decision that would have been a nightmare to uphold.

No, we should get FIFA to change the rules to state that anyone who dives during a match should be shown a straight red card with a subsequent two match ban for the culprit and anyone who has been shown to have dived by the TV cameras afterwards should be handed a retrospective two match ban.

Or is that too easy?

persevere1875
14-09-2009, 10:21 PM
So whats the difference between the Eduardo dive and the Rooney dive the week after ? The only difference I saw was the Rooney dive took him on to the keeper and Eduardo's dive hardly had any contact if at all, they were still both going for the same thing, an experianced striker sensing the contact coming goes down to make sure he gets the pen especially if there's nothing else on, some call it cheating some call it gamesmanship but I'll tell you one thing, Scottish Cup Final and my striker doesnt go down when he knows the contacts coming and we subsequently lose the game, I wont be raising a drink to his sportsmanship in the pub after :wink:

lapsedhibee
14-09-2009, 10:33 PM
I'll tell you one thing, Scottish Cup Final and my striker doesnt go down when he knows the contacts coming and we subsequently lose the game, I wont be raising a drink to his sportsmanship in the pub after :wink:

Problem with that though is that the Scottish Cup Final is held in the weege and is quite likely to be against an Ugly. So the best strategy for your striker might be to try to stay on his feet, as there's no guarantee the pen will be awarded if he goes down - whether he's fouled or not.

hibsdaft
14-09-2009, 10:38 PM

IMO of course.

i agree with this, but i think he's already going down by that point. not sure though as its very hard to tell.

hopefully something good will come out of this farce as things stand the rules aren't watertight.

matty_f
14-09-2009, 11:43 PM
In an ideal world, UEFA would have considered Mowbray's comments after McCheaty dived at ER, then viewed the McCheaty incident, and then went 'well, Eduardo has ridden three challenges and run thirty yards, and he was anticipating the contact'.

Apparently, that makes the cheating alright.

Speedy
15-09-2009, 03:04 AM
Sounds like a 'not proven' to me.

"Following examination of all the evidence, notably the declarations of both the referee and the referees' assessor, as well as the various video footage, it was not established to our satisfaction that the referee had been deceived in taking his decision on the penalty."

Moulin Yarns
15-09-2009, 05:19 AM

IMO of course.

You're not the only one. I said it on the original thread that Boruc clipped him, slightly, but when you are running and get your foot clipped you are likely to go down, whether by accident or design.

Everybody who thinks he cheated would be claiming a penalty if it was Riordan in that situation.

EasterRoad4Ever
15-09-2009, 05:54 AM
Diving Yams can start winning games again :grr:

Leithenhibby
15-09-2009, 07:48 AM
How in gods name (or anybody else) did the gunners pull this off!!
This has got to be the strangest decision I've seen :wink: It is as clear as mud it was a dive...:bitchy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R507YIpOqjc

mikey1875
15-09-2009, 09:21 AM

Yeah! mon the gooners! :thumbsup:

Sudds_1
15-09-2009, 02:06 PM

Thats a very interesting slant on the issue.........and I can't say I disagree. Any other decision would be inequitable and at odds with the actual powers of the referee had he actually called it as a dive........

.....mind you, maybe the ban was for being found out after the event! :wink:

hibsbollah
15-09-2009, 03:03 PM
How in gods name (or anybody else) did the gunners pull this off!!
This has got to be the strangest decision I've seen :wink: It is as clear as mud it was a dive...:bitchy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R507YIpOqjc

I think everyone, including Arsenal and UEFA, know it was a dive. But its a case of being able to prove it. Arsenal probably got their legal representation to threaten UEFA with a multimillion compensation claim.

Leithenhibby
15-09-2009, 04:41 PM
I think everyone, including Arsenal and UEFA, know it was a dive. But its a case of being able to prove it. Arsenal probably got their legal representation to threaten UEFA with a multimillion compensation claim.

AW sums it up for me, with the opening and closing of doors. Good and very important point too.

The link would help..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3rRBKHy4vs&NR=1&feature=fvwp

Woody1985
15-09-2009, 05:34 PM

Not read the thread but IIRC I suspect that a legal challenge can be raised against it because I don't think there's anything in the rules.

They'd have also set a precendant and would have to look at every incident raised, leaving them open to embarrasment should they be inconsistent.

Basically, they've gave some spiel but the real reasons are above I suspect.

Danderhall Hibs
15-09-2009, 06:59 PM
Not read the thread but IIRC I suspect that a legal challenge can be raised against it because I don't think there's anything in the rules.

They'd have also set a precendant and would have to look at every incident raised, leaving them open to embarrasment should they be inconsistent.

Basically, they've gave some spiel but the real reasons are above I suspect.

The precednt was set with Mikolunias though. According to Gordon Smith the rules are if a player dives (and isn't booked at the time) he can be found guilty retrospectively if (i) he wins a penalty which is scored, (ii) he wins a free-kick on the edge of the box which is scored or (iii) the opposing player is sent off due to the cheat.

Basically if McGeady hadn't been caught against us there could be no punishment dished out after the event, however Mikolunias got done under (i) and Lafferty under (iii)