PDA

View Full Version : The Blueprint by a typical football know-it-all!!!

DirtyDeeds
14-09-2009, 11:16 AM
Solidity and consistency of selection is what we are really dying for just now. I really feel sorry for Darren McCormack just now, the guy cant seem to hold down a place in the the back four. I can only remember him getting a chasing once and that was by an on fire McGeady at Parkhead last year. Otherwise he defends solidly if unspectacularly, and looks like he can pass a ball to a teammate within 20 yards.

Given the creativity and perhaps unpredictability of some of our attacking players, id rather have a defence of solid defenders who know the role without perhaps being outstanding going forward. Personally, my back four for now would be :

McCormack Hogg(only as he wont be dropped:grr:) Murray Hanlon

Our midfield is where there are difficult decisions to make. Fair to say that we really need to be starting Zemamma and Miller, they really an be match winners yet they arent what would be regarded as 'luxuries' as they both seem keen to put in a shift. Then for me its a decision between McBride and Bamba. Each has their own strengths, McBride being extremely comfortable on the ball and very aware of the value of keeping it, whilst Bamba offers real strength and aggression which we do miss in there. The other position would be between a mix of Wotherspoon, Galbraith and Rankin. With Riordans natural leaning towards coming out left, it leaves space for Zemmama, Miller and Wotherspoon/Galbraith/Rankin to get into the box. I might be wrong but im pretty sure i remember Miller having a few outstanding Champions League games for Celtic on the left but coming in narrow and getting into the area. This doesnt leave us short on width with Deek fading out there.

Up front, for me its Deek and Stokes as they really need to play due to reputation, wages being paid and just their god-given ability to score goals. Benji always provides a great option too, playing well with his back to goal.

Anyways, my Hibs team going forward would be:

Stack

McCormack Hogg Murray Hanlon

Wotherspoon Bamba/McBride Zemamma Miller

Stokes Riordan

I think that provides us with a strong defence (for my money Hogg wouldnt play, Bamba would be in there with McBride in midfield, but Yogi wont drop his captain) and in midfield there are four guys in there who first of all arent scared of a graft. Also the right balance of magic/unpredicability and 'level-headed' play. Stokes seems very adept at taking the ball into feet and showing an awareness of passes around him, or closer to goal rolling his marker and getting a shot in. And Deek is Deek. The old mystery wrapped in a riddle etc etc. I think that side is as strong as any other in the league. Dundee Utd may have a stronger defence but dont have the goals we do. Mowbrays third place side were of similar stock.....But consistent team selection is so important!!! Our better sides of the last 10 years rarely changed from week to week unless necessary ie McLeish 2000/01 and Mowbrays best side.

Massive spraff over!!! Would be really interested to hear other peoples thoughts though

jacomo
14-09-2009, 12:50 PM
Stack

Stokes Riordan

Ah, but what about when we are defending? :wink:

Incidentally, Mowbray's team wasn't as settled as you think - in certain positions (such as full back) there wasn't any argument, but there were regular changes elsewhere.

Golden Bear
14-09-2009, 01:24 PM
Solidity and consistency of selection is what we are really dying for just now. I really feel sorry for Darren McCormack just now, the guy cant seem to hold down a place in the the back four. I can only remember him getting a chasing once and that was by an on fire McGeady at Parkhead last year. Otherwise he defends solidly if unspectacularly, and looks like he can pass a ball to a teammate within 20 yards.

Given the creativity and perhaps unpredictability of some of our attacking players, id rather have a defence of solid defenders who know the role without perhaps being outstanding going forward. Personally, my back four for now would be :

Our midfield is where there are difficult decisions to make. Fair to say that we really need to be starting Zemamma and Miller, they really an be match winners yet they arent what would be regarded as 'luxuries' as they both seem keen to put in a shift. Then for me its a decision between McBride and Bamba. Each has their own strengths, McBride being extremely comfortable on the ball and very aware of the value of keeping it, whilst Bamba offers real strength and aggression which we do miss in there. The other position would be between a mix of Wotherspoon, Galbraith and Rankin. With Riordans natural leaning towards coming out left, it leaves space for Zemmama, Miller and Wotherspoon/Galbraith/Rankin to get into the box. I might be wrong but im pretty sure i remember Miller having a few outstanding Champions League games for Celtic on the left but coming in narrow and getting into the area. This doesnt leave us short on width with Deek fading out there.

Up front, for me its Deek and Stokes as they really need to play due to reputation, wages being paid and just their god-given ability to score goals. Benji always provides a great option too, playing well with his back to goal.

Stack

Stokes Riordan

I think that provides us with a strong defence (for my money Hogg wouldnt play, Bamba would be in there with McBride in midfield, but Yogi wont drop his captain) and in midfield there are four guys in there who first of all arent scared of a graft. Also the right balance of magic/unpredicability and 'level-headed' play. Stokes seems very adept at taking the ball into feet and showing an awareness of passes around him, or closer to goal rolling his marker and getting a shot in. And Deek is Deek. The old mystery wrapped in a riddle etc etc. I think that side is as strong as any other in the league. Dundee Utd may have a stronger defence but dont have the goals we do. Mowbrays third place side were of similar stock.....But consistent team selection is so important!!! Our better sides of the last 10 years rarely changed from week to week unless necessary ie McLeish 2000/01 and Mowbrays best side.

Massive spraff over!!! Would be really interested to hear other peoples thoughts though

I still think that Paul Hanlon's best position is as a centre back and from what i've seen of Ian Murray this season then there's something lacking in his game - not sure whether it's a lack of match fitness, a lack of confidence or maybe a combination of both.

Danderhall Hibs
14-09-2009, 02:02 PM
I still think that Paul Hanlon's best position is as a centre back and from what i've seen of Ian Murray this season then there's something lacking in his game - not sure whether it's a lack of match fitness, a lack of confidence or maybe a combination of both.

Murray's only played in one match and it was at rightback so if that's what you've seen of him then it should answer your question.

As for Hanlon - how many times have you seen him play centre-half? He looks a bit small still to be playing CH in the SPL.

DirtyDeeds
14-09-2009, 02:27 PM

I personally think Hanlons future lies in the centre, but its probably best for him just now to learn the game at full back, slightly further from the real firing line. Mowbray did a very similar thing with Fletcher when he broke through, often playing him in wide midfield roles so he developed an understanding of other team functions, as well as learning good and bad habits by watching other strikers and how their decisions effected the decisions he had to make as a midfield player. My suggestions for our team were more based on the here and now.

ancienthibby
14-09-2009, 02:31 PM

Stack

Stokes Riordan

Quality post, very much to the point!!:agree:

I agree absolutely with the Murray/Bamba switch, but I would also see that as putting Hoggy in the 'last chance saloon'. It seems to me Hoggy is unnerved by the presence of Bamba, so play the cool, capable Murray beside him at CB for a while and if he still flounders then it's time for a major change come the January window.

Given his performances last year, the only place for the Solman is DM and as Liam M IS going to play with Zouma the creative spark, that leaves one position for Cregg/Rankin/McBride, with Spoony presumably being the alternate for Zouma. Deeks and Stokesy up front as part of 4-4-2.

Sorted.

Simples.:thumbsup: