PDA

View Full Version : More Width

Ozyhibby
14-09-2009, 08:54 AM
For about 2 seasons now we have been far to narrow in midfield. we have not had a decent winger since sproule.
This has been made worse by Mixu and now yogi insisting on playing 4-3-3. It means we have to play through teams which makes us easy to defend against.
To me the solution is clear. We have to make more use of wotherspoon and Galbraith. I know they are both young and untested but we need player who can get behind defences and put in crosses.

Also think benji should be in before stokes and Nish only used if Riordon, stokes, Benji, Byrne and anyone from the groundstaff are not available.

Ritchie
14-09-2009, 09:16 AM
i think yogi has been guilty of doing the same as mixu did last season..... playing the best team, but not it their best positions.

i just wish we'd play a normal 4-4-2.......

this would be my team against st johnstone.

stack

mccann hogg murray hanlon

zemmama bamba miller galbraith

deek stokes

RIP
14-09-2009, 09:35 AM
Not convinced mate I think it's a deeper problem.

In the Mowbray era we had quality and combative midfielders. Thomson, Brown , Beuzy and Stewart. Any team playing against us knew they were in for a tough battle in midfield.

Since then we haven't signed anyone of note who can truly be called a midfielder. Recruiting fringe players at lowly clubs such as Cregg, McBride Rankin was never going to fulfil any ambitions. Not to say those players can't sometimes be effective - Rankin was our best player against Falkirk and St Mirren. But they are not the long-term answer.

Teams know that the way to beat us is to play 5 across the middle and hit us at free-kicks and breakaways. They starve our front players of the ball. Riordan and Stokes are not the sort of guys to join in a midfield scrap so it's like playing with 2 men down, 3 if you count a thoroughly disillusioned Colin Nish

Hibs7
14-09-2009, 09:52 AM
MURRAY, MILLER, WOTHERSPOON AND ZEMMAMA

that would be my starting midfeild.

jacomo
14-09-2009, 11:06 AM
The 4-3-3 can work, if the players understand their roles.

Weirdly, against Celtc we played 4-4-2, but it was Riordan who was constantly pulling out to the left to stretch their defence, and it nearly paid off for us. Can't see why he doesn't play wide when on the left of a three.

I can only assume that Galbraith isn't ready yet for a start yet?

The_Todd
14-09-2009, 03:14 PM
Width you say?

Nade might be available for a small fee.

Hibercelona
14-09-2009, 03:38 PM
Width you say?

Nade might be available for a small fee.

That's if we arent paying by the pound.

Dunkin' Donut
14-09-2009, 04:05 PM
dunno why yogi left wotherspoon out against hamilton tbh, sounds like he put all his eggs in one basket by playing 3 strikers and we have paid the price, i.e not scoring,getting beat and by the sounds of it we were over-run in midfield again. if he plays 433 i think it would suit us better to have galbraith or wotherspoon in there but personally i think 442 suits us better.