PDA

View Full Version : 4 midfielders, 1 forward and a goalie, no defenders...

Hibby 2005
14-09-2009, 07:29 AM
brought in over the summer/start of the season.

Any wonder we're leaking goals?

HFC 0-7
14-09-2009, 07:41 AM

I have said this on a couple of other threads already. Where I agree that we could do with another couple of defenders I think the majority of our problems is the midfield. The midfield is supposed to protect the defence and create attacking opportunities, something it is failing to do. We lost a goal yesterday because of the defense, and one because of nish. I think the defense probably performed the best out of the team yesterday. Was it about an hour before we created an opportunity? and this with our amazing forward choice of forwards and midfielders. Its not the defense that has been underachieving in my opinion. If we get the midfield sorted, the defense will have less to handle, and where I think the defense will still cause problems, it wont effect results that much.

Hibby 2005
14-09-2009, 08:05 AM
The midfield, with Wotherspoon, played well enough against Celtic but every time an opposition cross went into our defence we looked like conceding from a header. We seriously lack height at the back and this has not been addressed by Yogi. Worringly, he was after Barr the last transfer window, another small defender.

Speedway
14-09-2009, 08:45 AM

The wonder is that we've brought in 4 midfielders and 1 forward and we're now not scoring goals.

TornadoHibby
14-09-2009, 08:55 AM
The wonder is that we've brought in 4 midfielders and 1 forward and we're now not scoring goals.

Not really a wonder if the opposition crowd the midfield area and prevent your midfielders having any time on the ball or options to pass to if they do have the ball. This is all achieved by top level endeavour, effort and energy from the "lesser talented" opposition meaning that the Hibs defence and forwards become isolated from the rest of the team! :cool2:

Other teams will now do what Hamilton did to us yesterday (all SPL clubs were represented at yesterday's match I understand) and we had better get our act sorted out for a repeat performance from St Johnstone next week or we will be looking at another similar result to yesterday and to being knocked out of the Co-op Cup by a week tomorrow night IMO! :grr:

J-C
14-09-2009, 08:57 AM

2 of these MF are defensive and 1 only just arrived is short of match fitness. Stokes looks to be struggling for fitness and going by yesterdays performance confidence, maybe even struggling with Yogi's tactics, playing with Nish and not Riordan up front.

We seemed to back to the long ball again because our midfield couldn't keep hod of the ball to make passes into feet.

Do we need 2 holding midfielders??

Zouma's not fully fit yet and when Ramadan is finished he and Benji will be back to full strength.

Hogg has to have the captaincy removed due to his severe dip in form and Bamba still has a very big question mark above him at CH, to many rash challenges.

HFC 0-7
14-09-2009, 08:58 AM
Not really a wonder if the opposition crowd the midfield area and prevent your midfielders having any time on the ball or options to pass to if they do have the ball. This is all achieved by top level endeavour, effort and energy from the "lesser talented" opposition meaning that the Hibs defence and forwards become isolated from the rest of the team! :cool2:

Other teams will now do what Hamilton did to us yesterday (all SPL clubs were represented at yesterday's match I understand) and we had better get our act sorted out for a repeat performance from St Johnstone next week or we will be looking at another similar result to yesterday and to being knocked out of the Co-op Cup by a week tomorrow night IMO! :grr:

The reason we never created any chances yesterday is not because they crowded the midfield, the midfield must have been very un crowded as we only put 3 in there, then 2 when we changed to a 4-2-4. Also the midfielders in there were not creative. 4 in midfield would have been crowded but we would have competed!

TornadoHibby
14-09-2009, 09:04 AM
The reason we never created any chances yesterday is not because they crowded the midfield, the midfield must have been very un crowded as we only put 3 in there, then 2 when we changed to a 4-2-4. Also the midfielders in there were not creative. 4 in midfield would have been crowded but we would have competed!

Why do you think that "lesser" teams use the 4-5-1 formation then I wonder? :confused:

By having the "luxury" of 5 players in midfield it can be made very difficult for the opposition with fewer midfield players to find space or time on the ball to do much if anything with it! Now, if the quality of the 3 man midfield is EPL top 4 team quality, then quick, sharp one touch football and high energy levels and work rates can combat that!

On yesterday's performance (and I was at the game) we had none of these attributes on display from our guys hence they were simply over-run and outnumbered. :agree:

I referred to that, not incorrectly IMO, as overcrowding in the midfield area as that's exactly what it looked like yesterday! :grr:

HFC 0-7
14-09-2009, 09:10 AM
Why do you think that "lesser" teams use the 4-5-1 formation then I wonder? :confused:

By having the "luxury" of 5 players in midfield it can be made very difficult for the opposition with fewer midfield players to find space or time on the ball to do much if anything with it! Now, if the quality of the 3 man midfield is EPL top 4 team quality, then quick, sharp one touch football and high energy levels and work rates can combat that!

On yesterday's performance (and I was at the game) we had none of these attributes on display from our guys hence they were simply over-run and outnumbered. :agree:

I referred to that, not incorrectly IMO, as overcrowding in the midfield area as that's exactly what it looked like yesterday! :grr:

The point I was trying to make was that if we dont have a midfield that can cope with more players in there than we do then we need to at least match them to compete. I was being sarcastic about it being undercrowded to make a point that we never played enough in there!

TornadoHibby
14-09-2009, 09:16 AM
The point I was trying to make was that if we dont have a midfield that can cope with more players in there than we do then we need to at least match them to compete. I was being sarcastic about it being undercrowded to make a point that we never played enough in there!

And I've tried to explain why that was the case (i.e we couldn't seem to do what you suggested) but maybe not as well as I thought that I had! :confused:

J-C
14-09-2009, 09:19 AM
If you play 4-4-2 against a decent 3-5-1 formation, then you need to have a very good forward similar to Rooney/Giggs who can drop back into midfield and counteract the extra man.

TornadoHibby
14-09-2009, 09:20 AM
If you play 4-4-2 against a decent 3-5-1 formation, then you need to have a very good forward similar to Rooney/Giggs who can drop back into midfield and counteract the extra man.

Has the opposition had a man sent off then ! :wink: :greengrin

J-C
14-09-2009, 09:24 AM
Has the opposition had a man sent off then ! :wink: :greengrin

OOps! typo:greengrin

Love the Green
14-09-2009, 02:08 PM

Exactly played 3 teams who may well fight out the relegation spot and not 1 clean sheet....big problems .............

"keep the faith":wink: