PDA

View Full Version : Basis for a good team .... Ian Murray

Hibs7
14-09-2009, 06:54 AM
I have been looking at some suggestions for the St Johnstone game and we have so many options, but for me my first step would be to put Ian Murray back in midfeild, I remember when he played ther before and he was immense, a great tackler and also could put in a killer pass whilst chipping in with goals, something he is not doing at the back. I would form my team around him.
Would be interesting to have others views and who else would be in the team, I would have wotherspoon in the midfeild along with Murray, the rest is open for debate. :blah::blah:

HFC 0-7
14-09-2009, 07:03 AM
I have been looking at some suggestions for the St Johnstone game and we have so many options, but for me my first step would be to put Ian Murray back in midfeild, I remember when he played ther before and he was immense, a great tackler and also could put in a killer pass whilst chipping in with goals, something he is not doing at the back. I would form my team around him.
Would be interesting to have others views and who else would be in the team, I would have wotherspoon in the midfeild along with Murray, the rest is open for debate. :blah::blah:

I think the main thing Yogi needs to do is change us from a 4-3-3. After that I would imagine there are lots of different combinations, player wise, that would work. I would be tempted at this point to put murray at the back to start play off with a decent pass out of there. Hogg's passing lately has not been good at all, and although this will probably get a lot of opposition, I dont think Bamba is that great in there. He is big and has presense and can make some good tackles, but too hot and cold for me. He can be a liability at times, gets his positioning wrong, makes stupid tackles (Almost always gets booked) and is not that great in the air. Celtic game he was getting beat in the air by McDonald. Anyway, thats what i think.

biggie1875
14-09-2009, 09:05 AM
yes i think we need to change from 433 too playing deeks stokes and nish just not working .play deeks upfront insted of out wide nish for me hasn,t done enough to warrent a starting place this season play 442 get a new cb and i think we should be ok the midfield and strikers are ok just not solid at the back

WindyMiller
14-09-2009, 09:17 AM
I felt Murray was wasted at RB. We should've played Wotherspoon in there and Ian as part of a mid-field 4 and Nish out.

Hibs7
14-09-2009, 09:47 AM
Yeah I know the 4-3-3 is a problem, but I still think Murray along with Miller, Wotherspoon and Zemmama would be a good midfield, can't see a place for Cregg, Rankin or McBride as a first choice midfeild for me.

hibbie02
14-09-2009, 09:50 AM
I think Murrray is the man to build the team around, and I agree he is best placed in Midfield, but that in itself gives us a problem.

So starting in the defence I think Wotherspoon deserves his chance at Right Back and Hanlon on the Left. At Centre Half I think we are lacking the vital component, but with what we have I think we are stuck with Hogg and Bamba. However I still believe we could play with 3 Centre Halves and play Wotherspoon and Hanlon as Wing Backs.

That leaves 3 Midfield Places and I would like to see Cregg, Miller and Zouma in there.

Up Front Deek and Stokes. So

Stack
Hogg Bamba
Wotherspoon Murray Hanlon
Zoumma Cregg Miller
Stokes Riordan

Hibs7
14-09-2009, 09:59 AM
I think Murrray is the man to build the team around, and I agree he is best placed in Midfield, but that in itself gives us a problem.

So starting in the defence I think Wotherspoon deserves his chance at Right Back and Hanlon on the Left. At Centre Half I think we are lacking the vital component, but with what we have I think we are stuck with Hogg and Bamba. However I still believe we could play with 3 Centre Halves and play Wotherspoon and Hanlon as Wing Backs.

That leaves 3 Midfield Places and I would like to see Cregg, Miller and Zouma in there.

Up Front Deek and Stokes. So

Stack
Hogg Bamba
Wotherspoon Murray Hanlon
Zoumma Cregg Miller
Stokes Riordan

I think that might work for some games, but would prefer

Maka
Hogg McCormack Bamba Hanlon
Wotherspoon Miller Murray Zemmama
Stokes Riordan

I know Hogg at Right back is a chance but until Stevenson gets back to how he was that could be a solution, McCormack is a natural central defender and with a decent midfeild in front of him should be ok. Maka for me as Stack has done nothing to say he is any better so far and I prefer the big mans height if he would get in about cross balls.

DirtyDeeds
14-09-2009, 10:11 AM
For what its worth, i dont think Murray has the mobility any longer to play midfield week after week. He was never that quick in th first place but he looks particualrly sluggish off the mark since his return, although still putting in some fine performances. In addition to this, passing has never really been his strength and i think the value of ball retention under Yogi is very clear. Depending in what shape he goes with, i think we really need to look at using some combination of Zemamma, Miller, Wotherspoon, McBride, Cregg in there, all are mobile which is key in the modern game and all look comfortable making a pass. The first three mentioned also have that something wee bit special about them whether it be a killer pass or the ability toget past the forwards. Personally, id like to see Murray left back or centre half. Just my feelings on the subject though.

jacomo
14-09-2009, 10:35 AM

It's been a long time since Murray was scoring goals... but I agree, he's a natural winner and should be in the team somewhere.

Yogi has tried different combinations in every match so far - let's hope we're learning from this and will find a settled best 11 before long. I am a little worried that we've conceded in every SPL match so far - it seems something isn't working at the back.

Broken Gnome
14-09-2009, 10:38 AM
It's been a long time since Murray was scoring goals... but I agree, he's a natural winner and should be in the team somewhere.

:agree: Don't think anyone would argue Murray deserves some role in the team, but he's not the guy you 'build a team around'. Not with what Hibs are trying to do anyway.

Hibs7
14-09-2009, 10:50 AM
:agree: Don't think anyone would argue Murray deserves some role in the team, but he's not the guy you 'build a team around'. Not with what Hibs are trying to do anyway.

And what is the basis for that ?

Broken Gnome
14-09-2009, 10:52 AM
Cos you'd want a better actual footballer?

Hibs7
14-09-2009, 10:56 AM
Cos you'd want a better actual footballer?

And who do we have at ER that we could do that with ?

Broken Gnome
14-09-2009, 11:00 AM
Guys like Zemmama? Even a Wotherspoon in the not too distant future. Ian Murray does a great job for Hibs, everyone can see that, but he has his limits. He's not a guy that's going to dictate a game, or probably even win a game. Nor the guy who can take the ball to feet in tight situations and play it on or beat a man. As much as he does deserve a place, having your key player as a guy that sometimes plays centre half, sometimes plays left back, sometimes plays midfielder etc. isn't possibly the most helpful thing you could do to a football team.

Hibs7
14-09-2009, 11:02 AM
Guys like Zemmama? Even a Wotherspoon in the not too distant future. Ian Murray does a great job for Hibs, everyone can see that, but he has his limits. He's not a guy that's going to dictate a game, or probably even win a game. Nor the guy who can take the ball to feet in tight situations and play it on or beat a man. As much as he does deserve a place, having your key player as a guy that sometimes plays centre half, sometimes plays left back, sometimes plays midfielder etc. isn't possibly the most helpful you could do to a football team.

Sorry don't agree but then we are all entitled to our opinions.

jacomo
14-09-2009, 12:45 PM
Guys like Zemmama? Even a Wotherspoon in the not too distant future. Ian Murray does a great job for Hibs, everyone can see that, but he has his limits. He's not a guy that's going to dictate a game, or probably even win a game. Nor the guy who can take the ball to feet in tight situations and play it on or beat a man. As much as he does deserve a place, having your key player as a guy that sometimes plays centre half, sometimes plays left back, sometimes plays midfielder etc. isn't possibly the most helpful thing you could do to a football team.

Hopefully these two will have big roles to play this season, but Zemmama looks rustier than a victorian pier at the moment, and Wotherspoon needs to be given time, without heaping too much responsibility on him too early.

lumbo_hfc
14-09-2009, 05:35 PM

Totally agree with that!! Murray is good at what he does which is win the ball and pass it to more creative players! much prefer to see him in midfield!!

hibiedude
14-09-2009, 05:49 PM

Good post and for me Murray should have been captain this season.

blackpoolhibs
14-09-2009, 06:08 PM
We have had Murray at left back, left midfield and now the latest right back for hibs. He was a central midfielder, the one who gets in amongst them, and drives the team forward. Its been that long since he played in that position, i don't know if he has the legs for it anymore. His best performances in recent times, were he's taken control of the game, have been as a central defender. Tynecastle last season was one of the best performances from him i have seen.

He is a leader, he is a good player, but one thing he is not, is very quick. Either at left back or right back he wont ever be an overlapping full back who whips in great crosses, and thats what yogi wants from his full backs.

Stick him in central defense yogi, let him lead us from the back, him and Bamba are better than any other permutation you have.

WindyMiller
14-09-2009, 06:19 PM
We have had Murray at left back, left midfield and now the latest right back for hibs. He was a central midfielder, the one who gets in amongst them, and drives the team forward. Its been that long since he played in that position, i don't know if he has the legs for it anymore. His best performances in recent times, were he's taken control of the game, have been as a central defender. Tynecastle last season was one of the best performances from him i have seen.

He is a leader, he is a good player, but one thing he is not, is very quick. Either at left back or right back he wont ever be an overlapping full back who whips in great crosses, and thats what yogi wants from his full backs.

Stick him in central defense yogi, let him lead us from the back, him and Bamba are better than any other permutation you have.

I'd agree BH, but that would mean pushing our Captain out of his prefered position. I don't know if Hughes is ready for that yet.