PDA

View Full Version : 'I Don't Think We Train Very Well'

Speedway
13-09-2009, 11:41 PM
This was an interesting snippet from Yogi's BBC interview.

How does he reconcile this with the 'in terms of effort and willingness to learn, I can't ask any more of the boys in training since I came here' quote's he's been handing out left right and centre?

silverhibee
13-09-2009, 11:57 PM

How does he reconcile this with the 'in terms of effort and willingness to learn, I can't ask any more of the boys in training since I came here' quote's he's been handing out left right and centre?

I think the squad train to much.

hibs0666
13-09-2009, 11:58 PM

How come?

Hibercelona
14-09-2009, 12:00 AM

Perhaps a case of quantity over quality?

oregonhibby
14-09-2009, 06:42 AM
Er state of the art training centre?! Workman and tools come to mind.

Early days and he needs to find a blend of players but the first couple of results may have flattered. If we are to be at the right end of the table we need to beat the Hamiltons and St Johnstone's.

Perhaps we should be working longer on the training bit - fitness and passing!

Steve-O
14-09-2009, 06:57 AM

Well, tell us how often they train?

Jack
14-09-2009, 11:16 AM
From what I heard and read on here it might be a good idea if they trained together, at the same time, and maybe got to know each other! :cool2:

jacomo
14-09-2009, 11:27 AM

Cue wry smile from John Collins...

Golden Bear
14-09-2009, 01:02 PM

Maybe Yogi meant that as a consequence of the break for the internationals, then the majority of the squad were forced to train rather than participate in an actual game(s)

I think.

:confused:

Jim44
14-09-2009, 02:03 PM
Surely the quantity, quality and effectiveness of training is the responsibility of the coaching staff and ultimately Hughes himself. If the players are not responding well in training or have any sort of negative response to the training being given then its up to the coaching staff to sanction any guilty parties. I'm quite baffled by Hughes's ouburst as it seems like the start of losing the trust and confidence of the players which is far from what we have recently been led to believe. I got the impression yesterday that the players were like strangers with one another. :dunno:

VegasHibby
14-09-2009, 03:31 PM
Yogis 433 didn't work yesterday. Wotherspoon should have kept his place after playing very well the week before. And after playing very well against Celtic the players may have found it hard to adjust to Yogi's stupid tactics against Hamilton. Yogi should look at himself before screaming at his players.

It's very early season yet and I do feel that we'll get it right.

number 27
14-09-2009, 07:41 PM
I only hope this puts an end to the procession of p1sh about "smiles on faces" and "training is fun"

Why should anyone care about how much fun a bunch of highly paid professionals are enjoying. What matters is whether they earn their money at the end of the week and this week they failed.

Hopefully this week they can take pleasure from performing their jobs to a high standard instead of infantile practical jokes.

Or am I missing something :confused:

Westie1875
14-09-2009, 07:45 PM
This is a strange one when he has constantly been going on about how fantastic the attitudes have been so far and how much effort goes into training. Which is it to be? :confused:

HFC07
14-09-2009, 08:25 PM
I only hope this puts an end to the procession of p1sh about "smiles on faces" and "training is fun"

Why should anyone care about how much fun a bunch of highly paid professionals are enjoying. What matters is whether they earn their money at the end of the week and this week they failed.

Hopefully this week they can take pleasure from performing their jobs to a high standard instead of infantile practical jokes.

I agree, a little less joking around and more consentration on simple tasks such as passing and moving and if it's nae to hard try both together.

500miles
14-09-2009, 09:17 PM

I would imagine that in any job, those who enjoy going to work perform better. That's why it is important that players enjoy training. Simple.

I very much doubt when Yogi speaks about enjoying training, he means arsing about. In fact, I think if you listen to his early interviews about getting the training balls out straight away, it's clear that he means he focusses on doing ballwork, which the players enjoy.

number 27
15-09-2009, 08:35 AM
I would imagine that in any job, those who enjoy going to work perform better. That's why it is important that players enjoy training. Simple.

I very much doubt when Yogi speaks about enjoying training, he means arsing about. In fact, I think if you listen to his early interviews about getting the training balls out straight away, it's clear that he means he focusses on doing ballwork, which the players enjoy.

Players being happy at work is fine, I'm all for it as long as they genuinely are performing. My problem is with the constant harping on about it in the press as if a happy dressing room is the number 1 priority.

Professional sportsmen should be aiming for satisfaction through quality of performance and success :agree:

It would be refreshing to hear a bit more about players working hard to get better rather than the emphasis on simply enjoying training.