PDA

View Full Version : BBC Report

Argylehibby
13-09-2009, 09:28 PM
Anyone else think the Beeb report is a tad understated?

"With 12 minutes remaining the visitors were thrown a lifeline when Trent McClenahan handled in the box."

No mention of it being on the goal line and the fact that Trent should have been running off the park.

Mark_K
13-09-2009, 09:32 PM
yeah he should of been shown red. i'm guessing we will never know if it would of given us a lifeline but if we did score the pen and he was shown a red then it would of been a very slim lifeline to equalise cos our performance wasn't top notch but could of also lifted the team to go on to grab a second

LancashireHibby
13-09-2009, 09:38 PM
Bizarre situation, really. Given the reluctance to send him off, I actually thought the penalty might have been given for a push or summat rather than the handball. Summed up the clown in the middle that he was stood 5/6 yards away and said it his chest, only to be over-ruled by a linesman who was stood 20 yards away!

Never had any faith that Deek would score though - when you get a delay like that in the lead up to taking a penalty, it must put doubt in the mind of the taker.

Jim44
13-09-2009, 09:47 PM
Bizarre situation, really. Given the reluctance to send him off, I actually thought the penalty might have been given for a push or summat rather than the handball. Summed up the clown in the middle that he was stood 5/6 yards away and said it his chest, only to be over-ruled by a linesman who was stood 20 yards away!

Never had any faith that Deek would score though - when you get a delay like that in the lead up to taking a penalty, it must put doubt in the mind of the taker.

If he initially thought it hit the player's chest he must have seen which player it was. If he then accepted the linesman's opinion that it was deliberate hand ball on the line, he should have sent off the player whose chest he thought the ball hit............simple,but difficult when your playing the 'homer' role.

Argylehibby
13-09-2009, 09:50 PM
If that had been either half of the Old Firm would the report simply say "handled in the box"? The journalism is of the same standard as the refereeing IMHO.

LancashireHibby
13-09-2009, 09:51 PM
If he initially thought it hit the player's chest he must have seen which player it was. If he then accepted the linesman's opinion that it was deliberate hand ball on the line, he should have sent off the player whose chest he thought the ball hit............simple,but difficult when your playing the 'homer' role.
Completely agree with what you're saying, but I've got a feeling that the linesman may have flagged for an offence in the lead up to the handball, rather than for the handball itself. After all, the referee had a far better view of the incident.

Dibben
13-09-2009, 09:54 PM

:agree:

I didn't realise that he signalled 'chest' - I just seen Murray scream that it had crossed the line, then seen the linesman run 10 yards along the byeline to get refs attention. I'd presumed that none of the 4 officials actually bothered to see who had handballed.

This is were refs should be able to speak after the game to explain decisions.

All the hassle with their players and Zemmama delaying the kick may have affected Deeks. 2 - 1 down again 10 men with 10+ minutes to play would have seen Hibs go for it...

BH.

Toaods
13-09-2009, 09:54 PM
If the ref had any sense he'd have sent a random Motherwell defender off to correct the balance of the number of players left to continue the game, as per the laws of the game.

Would have been tough on an individual but he could have appealed the card and been avaiable for the next game. with no blemish on his record.

Just a useless wee git of a ref.

Argylehibby
13-09-2009, 09:55 PM
Completely agree with what you're saying, but I've got a feeling that the linesman may have flagged for an offence in the lead up to the handball, rather than for the handball itself. After all, the referee had a far better view of the incident.

If that was the case why was he running about like a headless chicken asking every other official at the game who it was? If it had been for another offence he would give the penalty, point at the culprit and perhaps indicate a push or what other offence it was. Dont see it being anytheing other than the handball and the ref making an @rse of it.

Jonnyboy
13-09-2009, 09:56 PM
If the ref had any sense he'd have sent a random Motherwell defender off to correct the balance of the number of players left to continue the game, as per the laws of the game.

Would have been tough on an individual but he could have appealed the card and been avaiable for the next game. with no blemish on his record.

Just a useless wee git of a ref.

Now that would upset Jim Gannon :greengrin

LancashireHibby
13-09-2009, 09:58 PM
If that was the case why was he running about like a headless chicken asking every other official at the game who it was?

Do we know that's what was being asked though? I thought he went over to the fourth official because there was a bit of a melee on the touchline, to be honest. No doubt at all that the referee had the clearest view of anyone in the ground so surely would have been able to identify the culprit.

Argylehibby
13-09-2009, 10:01 PM
Was it crystal Palace v Bristol City when the goal was scored but the ref didnt see it and their Chairman accused Bristol of cheating? Much the same here. He should have gone to their captain with the red card in hand and said who was it? If you wont, or cant tell me youre walking! Yeah I know he'd have been hammered for it but at least they would have been down to 10 men.

Argylehibby
13-09-2009, 10:03 PM
Do we know that's what was being asked though? I thought he went over to the fourth official because there was a bit of a melee on the touchline, to be honest. No doubt at all that the referee had the clearest view of anyone in the ground so surely would have been able to identify the culprit.

But he went to the linesman who "gave it" twice so his trip up to the 4th official couldnt have been for anything at half way IMHO.