PDA

View Full Version : 4-3-3

Alfred E Newman
13-09-2009, 07:49 PM
Lets hope that after todays woefull performance that it doesn`t take Yogi as long as Mixu to realise that todays 3 strikers set up doesn`t work. No width and over-run in midfield by Hamiltons 3-5-1 set up. The substitutions were equally bad and changed nothing. Zemmama or Wotherspoon for one of the 3 strikers would have made more sense.

blaikie
13-09-2009, 07:59 PM
:agree:
4-3-3 will never work in this league, We have the players to be a force in the top 6. Yogi and Rice got it wrong today but hey that's football. Lessons have been learned hopefully and we see a great performance against the tractor boys next week :agree:
Mon the Hibs :thumbsup:

Cocaine&Caviar
13-09-2009, 08:02 PM
But are his two signings McBride and Cregg 442 central midfielders?

If you have them together, you lack creativity and an attacking threat, if you play them with a more attacking player, neither of them on their own are out and out defensive midfielders, McBride does best with the box to box midfielder Cregg next to him, and Cregg does well with McBride picking up from the back 4 and being a link man...

Jonnyboy
13-09-2009, 08:08 PM
But are his two signings McBride and Cregg 442 central midfielders?

If you have them together, you lack creativity and an attacking threat, if you play them with a more attacking player, neither of them on their own are out and out defensive midfielders, McBride does best with the box to box midfielder Cregg next to him, and Cregg does well with McBride picking up from the back 4 and being a link man...

Which is exactly what happened today. I lost count of the number of times Cregg passed to Ian Murray but didn't run beyond him to take the return. That meant Murray had to pass the ball back towards his own goal and as a result there was no forward momentum.

On my way to the game I heard Yogi say two things that alarmed me. Firstly he said he had a strong bench in case we went behind and so he could use some of those subs to get back into the game. I thought "WTF - if they're the strong ones they should be starting"

Secondly he used the old chestnut re Wotherspoon not getting a start. Don't want to rush him he's just a young lad. He was outstanding against Celtic, his confidence is high and yet he's dropped - wonder what that did for his confidence?

Brando7
13-09-2009, 08:17 PM
Not sure if this wise but i'd like us to play a 3-5-2 :duck:

Alfred E Newman
13-09-2009, 08:22 PM
Which is exactly what happened today. I lost count of the number of times Cregg passed to Ian Murray but didn't run beyond him to take the return. That meant Murray had to pass the ball back towards his own goal and as a result there was no forward momentum.
I hear
On my way to the gamed Yogi say two things that alarmed me. Firstly he said he had a strong bench in case we went behind and so he could use some of those subs to get back into the game. I thought "WTF - if they're the strong ones they should be starting"

Secondly he used the old chestnut re Wotherspoon not getting a start. Don't want to rush him he's just a young lad. He was outstanding against Celtic, his confidence is high and yet he's dropped - wonder what that did for his confidence?

What really alarmed me was the fact that the substitutions changed nothing. We persisted with the same set up which was obviously getting us nowhere. That was part of Mixus downfall. Its all right signing all these attack minded players but if it means playing a formation that doesn`t work just to accomodate them then its a waste of time.

Jonnyboy
13-09-2009, 08:24 PM
What really alarmed me was the fact that the substitutions changed nothing. We persisted with the same set up which was obviously getting us nowhere. That was part of Mixus downfall. Its all right signing all these attack minded players but if it means playing a formation that doesn`t work just to accomodate them then its a waste of time.

Too little, too late :agree:

Cocaine&Caviar
13-09-2009, 08:26 PM

Yeah, but both Cregg and McBride both have mainly defensive duties in the 433 set up, with Rankin having more of an attacking role, and he was the one without creativity in the middle that was really noticeable, i think with Zemmama, Arfield or Miller in his place, we would have been a lot better going forward today, or at least have a lot more creativity through the spine of the team...

Jonnyboy
13-09-2009, 08:29 PM
Yeah, but both Cregg and McBride both have mainly defensive duties in the 433 set up, with Rankin having more of an attacking role, and he was the one without creativity in the middle that was really noticeable, i think with Zemmama, Arfield or Miller in his place, we would have been a lot better going forward today, or at least have a lot more creativity through the spine of the team...

Tell Yogi that :greengrin

Pre game he spoke about this being the toughest fixture yet. With all due respect to Hamilton that's just plain nonsense and yes I know they beat us 2-0! We set ourselves up with three in midfield, two of whom sat deep and so we had no service to our strikers. We shouldn't be setting our side up to defend in such numbers against Hamilton. No creativity at all until wee Zouma came on.

Jim44
13-09-2009, 08:30 PM
I thought our passing/possession approach was Fergusonesque in it's effect..............square passing, no forward/telling passing and resorting to the enevitable pass back to the keeper or a tentative hoof up the park, especially from Hogg.

Jonnyboy
13-09-2009, 08:32 PM
I thought our passing/possession approach was Fergusonesque in it's effect..............square passing, no forward/telling passing and resorting to the enevitable pass back to the keeper or a tentative hoof up the park, especially from Hogg.

In a nutshell Jim :agree:

500miles
13-09-2009, 08:36 PM
Yogi got it all wrong tactically today. 3 up front means that someone had to take responsiblity for picking the ball up in deep areas, and we only started doing that 20 minutes from the end of the game.

The midfield personelle was also wrong. Cregg and Rankin can't play together - both have a similar engine, with Cregg being a tougher tackler, and Rankin better in possession. McBride, I thought, had another good game, and kept possession, regardless of passing forward or backwards.

Ian Murray isn't a right back, and shouldn't be played up the right. He's a natural leftie, and can swing in crosses much better with his left peg.

Next week -

...................Maka
.McCann.Hogg.Bamba.Murray
................McBride
..W'spoon.....Miller....Zemmama
............Stokes.Riordan

NOLA
13-09-2009, 08:57 PM
Lets hope that after todays woefull performance that it doesn`t take Yogi as long as Mixu to realise that todays 3 strikers set up doesn`t work. No width and over-run in midfield by Hamiltons 3-5-1 set up. The substitutions were equally bad and changed nothing. Zemmama or Wotherspoon for one of the 3 strikers would have made more sense.

did we get beaten by 10 men:devil:

J-C
13-09-2009, 08:59 PM
Unless you have 3 very good solid midfielders this system doesn't work.

With most teams playing either 4-5-1 or 4-4-2, you're going to get overwhelmed in the midfield and hence struggle to get a hold of the ball to use it.

We must get 4 back into midield, two holders and two playmakers to supply the 2 forwards. Listening in today the midfield struggled to put their foot on the ball and when Hogg or Bamba passed to a midfielder the ball inevitably came back to the immediately, for the ball to be hoofed up to Nish and Stokes.

Why is Riordan again being played out on the left as a midfield/attacker, when we all know he should be played up front as a striking partner, that's where he played at the start of the season in a 4-4-2 formation and he was scoring. Now we've gone back to the old Mixu days, playing with 3 strikers and giving up the midfield, I hope Yogi realises his mistake and never plays this system again.

Alfred E Newman
13-09-2009, 09:14 PM
did we get beaten by 10 men:devil:

:idiot::offski:

silverhibee
13-09-2009, 10:13 PM
I think Yogi will stick with his 4-3-3, not my choice of formation.

blackpoolhibs
13-09-2009, 11:08 PM
There was no need to change the team around as much as Yogi did today. Ian Murray was always coming back in, why he did not come in as Bamba's partner i don't know.

For fully 90 minutes we had no width on the right, and Riordan playing on the left. :confused: Why? We had no creative players in the middle, nish couldn't trap a bag of cement, so stokes was coming deeper and deeper by the minute. His first touch was woeful, and the game just drifted away, with us not realy giving it much of a fight.

Why all the changes from last week? The team and formation was not working after 15 minutes, and still persevering with it right up to the end was baffling. Wotherspoon should have come on to give us that width on the right, he's on fire at the moment, another strange decision. The one thing about todays game that really stood out for me, was just how pedestrian we were, all over the park. Our passing was so slow, it was easy for them to defend in front of the ball. A shocking performance.:bitchy:

Prof. Shaggy
13-09-2009, 11:20 PM
I think Yogi will stick with his 4-3-3, not my choice of formation.

If he does we are sunk.
The correlation between playing three strikers and unacceptable performances is one-to-one.

The Fletcher-Nish-Riordan trio was successful for about 4 minutes in the first game Mixu tried it. Hearts then dominated the rest of that match and only Nade saved us from losing it. Simply it has never worked since.

silverhibee
13-09-2009, 11:29 PM
If he does we are sunk.
The correlation between playing three strikers and unacceptable performances is one-to-one.

The Fletcher-Nish-Riordan trio was successful for about 4 minutes in the first game Mixu tried it. Hearts then dominated the rest of that match and only Nade saved us from losing it. Simply it has never worked since.

Agree with you, but Yogi will stick with 4-3-3 all the time.