PDA

View Full Version : Wotherspoon

Dashing Bob S
13-09-2009, 06:46 PM
I know he's young and needs nurtured etc etc but I felt we missed him badly today. I think DW is already an essential pick and i'd get him back in asap to add that verve and vitality to midfield.

Baldy Foghorn
13-09-2009, 06:48 PM
I know he's young and needs nurtured etc etc but I felt we missed him badly today. I think DW is already an essential pick and i'd get him back in asap to add that verve and vitality to midfield.

Agreed, how he could be dropped beggars belief

Lmc2105
13-09-2009, 06:55 PM
playing a 4 3 3 just doesn't work!!! simple as that against celtic we were fantastic with the 4 4 2, but today proves wotherspoon shuda been in for that waste of space nish and we might have got something today

but agreed was missed badly.

Hiber-nation
13-09-2009, 06:57 PM

Yep, I don't understand this lack of experience thing - he played him against Celtic so why the hell not today when we were crying out for someone with a bit of drive and with the ability to cross a ball.

Baldy Foghorn
13-09-2009, 06:59 PM
playing a 4 3 3 just doesn't work!!! simple as that against celtic we were fantastic with the 4 4 2, but today proves wotherspoon shuda been in for that waste of space nish and we might have got something today

but agreed was missed badly.

We single out Nish??? There were more than the big man...... Easy scapegoat eh?

Removed
13-09-2009, 07:00 PM

:agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree:

Jim44
13-09-2009, 07:02 PM

I've previously tried to take your view on Nish, Delabooze, but I thought he was truly garbage today. I think Hughes has no option but to put him to the back of the queue for the foreseeable future.

Baldy Foghorn
13-09-2009, 07:04 PM
I've previously tried to take your view on Nish, Delabooze, but I thought he was truly garbage today. I think Hughes has no option but to put him to the back of the queue for the foreseeable future.

Was he any worse than Stokes or Riordan though Jim????

Lmc2105

nah if you read my comment!
i was sayin ad rather have wotherspoon than nish
just think a 4 4 2 suits us better and we sacrificed a good player for a mediocre one but agreed there was more than nish today!

Dashing Bob S

Agree its wrong to have a go at CN as he was only one of 11 who didn't perform. However its also clear that three up front didn't work and i'd drop him for Riordan Stokes/Benji. We don't have a pacy right back so we need four in the middle.

Baldy Foghorn
13-09-2009, 07:05 PM
nah if you read my comment!
i was sayin ad rather have wotherspoon than nish
just think a 4 4 2 suits us better and we sacrificed a good player for a mediocre one but agreed there was more than nish today!

Just wish we would play 4-4-2 every time, we should not trying to play a system to accomodate certain players, when it clearly doesn't work.........

jakki
13-09-2009, 07:05 PM

Me too

hibbymark
13-09-2009, 07:06 PM
I think yogi is being over protective with this boy.Everything about him says he is ready to me. man of the match against st.mirren dropped for falkirk.Standout against celtic dropped today!We had no midfielders capabable of going past a player and getting the ball into the box today which he does everytime he plays. Must start against st.johnstone and get a run in the team. good enough...old enough.

Lmc2105
13-09-2009, 07:07 PM
Just wish we would play 4-4-2 every time, we should not trying to play a system to accomodate certain players, when it clearly doesn't work.........

totally agree with you Brockie and hopefully Yogi will now play a 4-4-2 for the future games starting with the saint's on saturday!:agree:

truehibernian
13-09-2009, 07:12 PM
Given DW is a Perthshire lad then I am quite sure that he will be in from the start next week.

Jim44
13-09-2009, 07:12 PM
Was he any worse than Stokes or Riordan though Jim????

OK, they were maybe only marginally better but at least I think that, with them, we are always likely to get something. If Yogi moves away from three up front, Nish has to go.

hibsbollah
13-09-2009, 07:15 PM

Agree, the way he started had me thinking he would be one of the first names on the teamsheet.

Hibs Spain
13-09-2009, 07:16 PM
I know he's young and needs nurtured etc etc but I felt we missed him badly today. I think DW is already an essential pick and i'd get him back in asap to add that verve and vitality to midfield.He's been exceptional and should be in there until he screws up. What's with the "If he's good enough,he's old enough" ethos? He's shown skill ,vision ,confidence .... :dunno:

hibsdaft
13-09-2009, 07:21 PM
doesn't matter how good he's been he still needs protected from week in week out football just now.

the fact people think we're already depending on him underlines this point.

Mcneil, Stevenson are just two players i think had too much pressure on them from their debut on and it ****ed them up imo.

it would be easy for Hughes to throw him in but also reckless for the lad and its good to see he is playing the long game rather than doing what would be simplest for himself.

in a couple of months we can review how he's coping and take things from there imo

GlesgaeHibby
13-09-2009, 07:33 PM
doesn't matter how good he's been he still needs protected from week in week out football just now.

Mcneil, Stevenson are just two players i think had too much pressure on them from their debut on and it ****ed them up imo.

it would be easy for Hughes to throw him in but also reckless for the lad and its good to see he is playing the long game rather than doing what would be simplest for himself.

in a couple of months we can review how he's coping and take things from there imo

He's in great form, and has the ability. He should play IMO.

Fabregas played regularly for Arsenal from a young age (I'm not comparing the two players like for like here!).

Wotherspoon is only going to learn and improve from playing and the more first team experience he gets, the better.

Brando7
13-09-2009, 08:14 PM

Not that i'm saying DW is anywhere near this class but i dont remember the likes of giggs, rooney, scholes etc cotton wooled during their yonger days.

Thats the problem with the scottish game imo, we find a good prospect but hamper his chances of playing week in week out & we wonder why our game is in ther state it's in.

Age shouldn't come into it imo, we have a 19 yo that is a better player than say a 24yo but hey lets play the 24yo in fear of burning out the young lad.............bollocks

Row H
13-09-2009, 08:30 PM
He's been exceptional and should be in there until he screws up. What's with the "If he's good enough,he's old enough" ethos? He's shown skill ,vision ,confidence .... :dunno:

Anyway Hibs Spain, what about the real issue - have you got over the the trauma of Maka not starting for us today?

Hibs Spain
13-09-2009, 08:46 PM
Anyway Hibs Spain, what about the real issue - have you got over the the trauma of Maka not starting for us today?No,I haven't. I wasn't at the game but three trusted buddies were. And by doing nothing Stack's ineptitude might have gone unnoticed to the average punter but it would appear that his lack of command in the box caused the 1st goal and his general lack of command didn't go unnoticed. That having been said,it seems to me that playing a left footed right back,Hogg,Nish and not playing Wotherspoon weren't such clever ideas either.I'm totally and utterly pissed off to be honest :grr:

hibsdaft
13-09-2009, 08:49 PM
i dont remember the likes of giggs, rooney, scholes etc cotton wooled during their yonger days.

they did though, Rooney came off the bench for most of his first season.

Giggs played intermittently for his first two seasons

Scholes got a steady run in his first year but rarely played more than an hour, and came off the bench for 1 in 3/4 games.

Row H
13-09-2009, 08:49 PM
No,I haven't. I wasn't at the game but three trusted buddies were. And by doing nothing Stack's ineptitude might have gone unnoticed to the average punter but it would appear that his lack of command in the box caused the 1st goal and his general lack of command didn't go unnoticed. That having been said,it seems to me that playing a left footed right back,Hogg,Nish and not playing Wotherspoon weren't such clever ideas either.I'm totally and utterly pissed off to be honest :grr:

Great post Maka, nice 1.

crash
13-09-2009, 08:55 PM

The thread is referring to Wotherspoon. Wotherspoon was dropped for Colin Nish... Comprende?

Brando7
13-09-2009, 09:56 PM
they did though, Rooney came off the bench for most of his first season.

Giggs played intermittently for his first two seasons

Scholes got a steady run in his first year but rarely played more than an hour, and came off the bench for 1 in 3/4 games.

I'll give you that one :greengrin but they both broke through when they were 17 & by the time they were Wotherspoon's age they were 1st team regulars

oconnors_strip
13-09-2009, 11:26 PM
Not that i'm saying DW is anywhere near this class but i dont remember the likes of giggs, rooney, scholes etc cotton wooled during their yonger days.

Thats the problem with the scottish game imo, we find a good prospect but hamper his chances of playing week in week out & we wonder why our game is in ther state it's in.

Age shouldn't come into it imo, we have a 19 yo that is a better player than say a 24yo but hey lets play the 24yo in fear of burning out the young lad.............bollocks

think we need to be careful and protect the likes of wotherspoon and byrne from the so called hibs fans! the lads arent a finished article by any means but there will always be a large number of fans who will criticse them from their first silly mistake. this will knock their confidence and effect their game.

but in my opinion from watching david a lot over the past two years i would say he should be the first name on the team sheet every week!

blackpoolhibs
13-09-2009, 11:29 PM
think we need to be careful and protect the likes of wotherspoon and byrne from the so called hibs fans! the lads arent a finished article by any means but there will always be a large number of fans who will criticse them from their first silly mistake. this will knock their confidence and effect their game.

but in my opinion from watching david a lot over the past two years i would say he should be the first name on the team sheet every week!

Away and bile yer heid. The so called fans have been fantastic with Wotherspoon in particular this season. :bitchy:

oconnors_strip
13-09-2009, 11:34 PM
Away and bile yer heid. The so called fans have been fantastic with Wotherspoon in particular this season. :bitchy:

there is always and has always been fans at easter road who will criticse and pick on the new/younger players. they will notice every little mistake, missed pass, being beaten by a man etc etc. ive heard it already this season in the east stand and outside the ground after the st mirren match:grr:

blackpoolhibs
13-09-2009, 11:40 PM
there is always and has always been fans at easter road who will criticse and pick on the new/younger players. they will notice every little mistake, missed pass, being beaten by a man etc etc. ive heard it already this season in the east stand and outside the ground after the st mirren match:grr:

So fans were having a go at wotherspoon after his MOM performance, do me a favour. Perhaps so called fans like you maybe want them wrapped in cotton wool a bit too much?

oconnors_strip
13-09-2009, 11:47 PM
So fans were having a go at wotherspoon after his MOM performance, do me a favour. Perhaps so called fans like you maybe want them wrapped in cotton wool a bit too much?

sit in the east stand and you will hear it every week!!! you dont hear it on the radio or hibs tv.

so called fans like me?! i want the younger lads to get the experience of playing first team football every week, hearing the fans cheer them on but also get on their backs, thats the only way you learn and build yourself as a professional footballer. but sometimes it can be a bit ott.

blackpoolhibs
13-09-2009, 11:49 PM
sit in the east stand and you will hear it every week!!! you dont hear it on the radio or hibs tv.

so called fans like me?! i want the younger lads to get the experience of playing first team football every week, hearing the fans cheer them on but also get on their backs, thats the only way you learn and build yourself as a professional footballer. but sometimes it can be a bit ott.

I stood in the east stand for the St mirren game, and the crowd loved Wotherspoon. I sat behind the goal today, and the crowd wanted him on.:confused:

zlatan
14-09-2009, 12:14 AM

So a bit of abuse could dent a players confidence and affect their performance on the pitch, much like booing a returning player on to the park before they had kicked a ball that season?

The_Todd
14-09-2009, 03:04 PM
I don't the East Stand give our own players too much abuse at all. You get the odd "Oh, for ******s sakes" but on the whole I think the East are very good with our own players.

When a player puts in a shift, you can guarantee the East Stand appreciates it - even for those less skillful or popular players. AOB got a standing freakin' ovation from the East last season for goodness sakes!

Andy74
14-09-2009, 03:17 PM
Bolton were up to see Wotherspoon this weekend. Good move to take him out the way!

Seriously though, we do need to be careful with him for the long term so can see why we take him in and out just now.

blackpoolhibs
14-09-2009, 03:29 PM
Bolton were up to see Wotherspoon this weekend. Good move to take him out the way!

Seriously though, we do need to be careful with him for the long term so can see why we take him in and out just now.

I understand that, although it was the original posters use of the words (so called fans) that wound me up. Who the hell is she to have a go at anyone, especially when Wotherspoon has had nothing but praise from everyone and his dog since breaking into the team. Another uberfan thinking they are better than everyone else.

FWIW i think wotherspoon should have played yesterday. The guy is on fire, and his confidence must be through the roof.:confused:

Andy74
14-09-2009, 03:38 PM
I understand that, although it was the original posters use of the words (so called fans) that wound me up. Who the hell is she to have a go at anyone, especially when Wotherspoon has had nothing but praise from everyone and his dog since breaking into the team. Another uberfan thinking they are better than everyone else.

FWIW i think wotherspoon should have played yesterday. The guy is on fire, and his confidence must be through the roof.:confused:

Yes, it must be and I think he should have played, but I suppose that's with the beenfit of knowing how the game went.

Of course, if he had played, maybe the game would not have gone that way!

With the striking talent we have now we are in danger of doing what Mixu did and thinking we need to play them all to score goals.

Actually, we need just a couple from Stokes, Riordan, Benji and Byrne but they need to be supported and supplied by the likes of Zemmam, Wotherspoon, Galbraith and Miller.

And please, no Nish unless we are desperate!

blackpoolhibs
14-09-2009, 03:45 PM
Yes, it must be and I think he should have played, but I suppose that's with the beenfit of knowing how the game went.

Of course, if he had played, maybe the game would not have gone that way!

With the striking talent we have now we are in danger of doing what Mixu did and thinking we need to play them all to score goals.

Actually, we need just a couple from Stokes, Riordan, Benji and Byrne but they need to be supported and supplied by the likes of Zemmam, Wotherspoon, Galbraith and Miller.

And please, no Nish unless we are desperate!

Yes, hindsight is wonderful, although things were going ok, and we were starting to get players back from injury and suspension, players that should strengthen us. Yet we change the player who has been MOM in the 2 starts he's had this season to accommodate our worst striker. Makes no sense to me.:confused:

Andy74
14-09-2009, 04:23 PM
Yes, hindsight is wonderful, although things were going ok, and we were starting to get players back from injury and suspension, players that should strengthen us. Yet we change the player who has been MOM in the 2 starts he's had this season to accommodate our worst striker. Makes no sense to me.:confused:

I can only assume he expected a real battle and somehow thought Nish and his height would be better than a young lad who is on the light side. I'm sure Zemmama never started for the same reason.

I'm sure he didn't count on the rest of the team being totally beaten to every bal as well.

Gert stuck in and then play them off the park with your talented players, that's the way to beat these teams.

IWasThere2016
14-09-2009, 04:36 PM
Spoon should've played IMHO.

Dropping him after his good games will do more damage than over playing him.

Once the boy has a poor performance it easier to put him on the bench and easier to explain the move to him.

To drop him for N(P)ish is staggering .. Absolutely staggering!

Onceinawhile
14-09-2009, 10:22 PM
I just don't understand what sort of message it sends the boy, play well, and we'll drop you. Consistently play like a huddy and I'll make sure I can fit you in. Thank goodness Nish is suspended for next week.

oconnors_strip
14-09-2009, 10:27 PM
[QUOTE=blackpoolhibs;2174501]I understand that, although it was the original posters use of the words (so called fans) that wound me up. Who the hell is she to have a go at anyone, especially when Wotherspoon has had nothing but praise from everyone and his dog since breaking into the team. Another uberfan thinking they are better than everyone else.

[QUOTE]

:blah::blah::blah::blah:

uberfan...well thanks:greengrin

Booked4Being-Ugly
14-09-2009, 10:44 PM
Wotherspoon has shown a bit of class, composure and maturity in the games he's played in, for someone so young. He has an attitude that the rest of the team would be doing well to emulate! :applause:

Shrekko
14-09-2009, 11:20 PM
I just don't understand what sort of message it sends the boy, play well, and we'll drop you. Consistently play like a huddy and I'll make sure I can fit you in. Thank goodness Nish is suspended for next week.

Firstly- i think Wotherspoon should have played but...

..are folk seriously saying this is going to ruin his confidence or affect him mentally??

For goodness sake, he knows fine well he wasnt 'dropped' and I'm sure Yogi will have explained to him the reasons for his team selection. I'm sure he's got the strength of charachter to deal with it and it should make him all the hungrier.

lf Wotherspoon keeps up his progress he'll be one of the first names on the team-sheet in the future but his progress might depend on how well he's broken into the team.

It'll be interesting to see how the ever so patient Hibs fans deal with the inevitable drop in his form.. Will everyone be patient and make sure not to dent his confidence? Mmmm.

Hibs On Tour
15-09-2009, 02:11 PM
Firstly- i think Wotherspoon should have played but...

..are folk seriously saying this is going to ruin his confidence or affect him mentally??

For goodness sake, he knows fine well he wasnt 'dropped' and I'm sure Yogi will have explained to him the reasons for his team selection. I'm sure he's got the strength of charachter to deal with it and it should make him all the hungrier.

lf Wotherspoon keeps up his progress he'll be one of the first names on the team-sheet in the future but his progress might depend on how well he's broken into the team.

It'll be interesting to see how the ever so patient Hibs fans deal with the inevitable drop in his form.. Will everyone be patient and make sure not to dent his confidence? Mmmm.

Like we did with Andy McNeil you mean? :devil: