PDA

View Full Version : Working with ego's

stubru59
13-09-2009, 05:03 PM
Hughes quoted on the BBC Scotland web-page as saying: we are working with ego's - guys who think they are better than what they are.

Wonder who he has in mind.

Westie1875
13-09-2009, 05:04 PM
Hughes quoted on the BBC Scotland web-page as saying: we are working with ego's - guys who think they are better than what they are.

Stokes maybe ?

Hanny
13-09-2009, 05:05 PM
Hibernian manager John Hughes:
"We didn't turn up. I said they would have to come here and work.

"I picked my team and made sure I had some physical stuff in there, but we were second-best.

"Hamilton deserved to win the football match, which is disappointing for us.

"If we want to go where we want to go, the boys are going to have to do better than that.

"You're working with egos - guys who think they're better than they are. For me, it's a recipe for disaster.

"You have to play as an underdog, and anything you get you battle for.

"I need to get that right throughout my team. If I get that, I can take getting beat."

:hmmm:

Toaods
13-09-2009, 05:06 PM
I'd put forward:

Bamba

Hogg

Nish

Hibby 2005
13-09-2009, 05:20 PM
Bamba certainly, Stokes too, can't believe Nish or Hogg would be so silly to think they're better than average.

Cocaine&Caviar
13-09-2009, 05:22 PM
Cant believe no one has mentioned Riordan, or the blatantly obvious choice of Benjelloun?

Baader
13-09-2009, 05:25 PM
Very disappointing. We need players to fight when the chips are down, not to sulk about when things aren't going their way.

Hamilton had scored 1 and conceded 10 in their games ahead of today. It is simply unacceptable to be losing home or away to clubs like that.

It seems to be our own complacency that costs us in these type of games - you don't just win by showing up. Too many previously have thought they are big time cos they can score a goal against the Old Firm and tend to live off that for a few weeks. The best players give the same effort if its Rangers at home or Albion Rovers away. We need 100% at all times... :grr::brickwall

The_Horde
13-09-2009, 05:26 PM
Cant believe no one has mentioned Riordan, or the blatantly obvious choice of Benjelloun?

Who wasn't even playing? :bye:

Hibby 2005
13-09-2009, 05:26 PM
Actually, having an ego is no bad thing, it's just that days like today tend to deflate them!

hibsdaft
13-09-2009, 05:27 PM
or the blatantly obvious choice of Benjelloun?

:confused:

he wasn't even on the bench

Stokes for one imo.

Scorrie
13-09-2009, 05:29 PM

Stokes for one imo.

That's a bit worrying given that Yogi knows what he is like and has just signed him...again.

TornadoHibby
13-09-2009, 05:32 PM
Very disappointing. We need players to fight when the chips are down, not to sulk about when things aren't going their way.

Hamilton had scored 1 and conceded 10 in their games ahead of today. It is simply unaaceptable to be losing home or away to clubs like that.

It seems to be our own complacency that costs us in these type of games - you don't just win by showing up. We need 100% at all times... :grr::brickwall

The short answer is that we were outfought by a bunch of poorer players who simply wanted to win the match more than our players did! :agree:

We should also have done something about our 4-3-3 which was being decimated in midfield by their 4-5-1 to the point where little got through to our front 3 at all! :agree:

I thought that Zouma and Miller would come on for the last half hour as that is possibly all they had in the tank for different reasons but when that wasn't turning things around I felt that taking Nish off (largely ineffective IMO) and bringing Wotherspoon on to play right wingback and pushing Murray into the midfield area to add some steel to our team was the right thing to do to try and salvage the game! :agree:

However, what do I know!? :grr:

marjoriebanks
13-09-2009, 05:37 PM
Stokes did not have a good game but others in the team that have been there for some time and should be contributing more. For example Riordan who throws his hands in the air and scowls when things are not going for him. Where is the fight. Saying that the system today was a poor choice by Yogi. The games previously saw more energy in the midfield with Wotherspoon there and why did Ian Murray walk back in I thought McCormick had done ok in his last game.

Baader
13-09-2009, 05:41 PM
The short answer is that we were outfought by a bunch of poorer players who simply wanted to win the match more than our players did! :agree:

Totally agree. If it's between a hungry footballer (and I don't mean Nade here) or a lazy but outrageously talented one give me the one that will run through walls to win everytime.

Really annoyed as this is what costs Hibs every time - no use turning it on every so often and running the big two close. We need that level of commitment every single week.
As an aside, I would like to see Wotherspoon in the first 11.

hibsdaft
13-09-2009, 05:41 PM
on second thoughts he might simply be talking about the whole lot of them

they're probably guilty of what almost all of us have - thinking we've achieved something by signing and being linked to a few decent players.

it means **** all. all that counts are points. thats the mark of a good team, not signing big name EPL rejects, or having players selected in World Cup squads.

right now Well and United are above us in the league so they're better than us, and the players have to accept that and use it to drive themselves on towards actual achievement.

barely a player in our squad has ever won anything or achieved anything in the game. until they do they are nothing in the grand scheme of things.

TornadoHibby
13-09-2009, 05:46 PM
Stokes did not have a good game but others in the team that have been there for some time and should be contributing more. For example Riordan who throws his hands in the air and scowls when things are not going for him. Where is the fight. Saying that the system today was a poor choice by Yogi. The games previously saw more energy in the midfield with Wotherspoon there and why did Ian Murray walk back in I thought McCormick had done ok in his last game.

When I arrived there were no seats left (some were "found" in the "temporary stand opposite the main stand after the police kindly agreed that we could use them!) and so I stood with the others similarly affected behind Stack's goal. He was screaming at Riordan something like "do it better and work harder ya lazy c u next tuesday"! :agree:

He wasn't holding back but Deek seemed to ignore him or maybe didn't hear him! :wink:

JimBHibees
13-09-2009, 08:09 PM
Seems an odd comment coming so early in his managership. Would imagine Deek would be one of the guys he was referring to however IMO he shouldnt be making such thoughts public. Sure I seen an article today about Deek about to have his best ever season. Why was Benji not in the squad today unless injured seems an amazing omission?

500miles
13-09-2009, 08:15 PM
Seems an odd comment coming so early in his managership. Would imagine Deek would be one of the guys he was referring to however IMO he shouldnt be making such thoughts public. Sure I seen an article today about Deek about to have his best ever season. Why was Benji not in the squad today unless injured seems an amazing omission?

Age? Need to have so many under 23's or something?

Hainan Hibs
13-09-2009, 08:15 PM
Been saying this for years myself, for some reason we have a higher than average number of billy big times who feel they can produce the goods against Celtic and Rangers but not turn up against other teams because they are superstars, forgetting the fact they are not actually as good as they think they are.

Hopefully Yogi is the man to give out the needed reality checks.

Hibercelona
13-09-2009, 08:17 PM

Stokes for one imo.

Who should have been on the bench IMO.

Benji has made the mistake of having a big ego in the past and he now knows that it doesnt get him anywhere.

On the other hand, other players still have big egos.... and I think some of them need dropped off to some lower league team for a while for some toughening up.

I believe Benji has something he wants to prove now, and he should have been playing today.

Jim44
13-09-2009, 08:20 PM
Stokes may very well be in the 'big-ego' category but he better snap out of it and prove he can hack it when necessary. He's back here to a great extent because of his 'Falkirk' performances of a few seasons ago when Falkirk were playing good football with Latapy as the playmaker. Stokes really fed off that quality play and there's no reason why he can't get the same good service when we can find our game. He has to work for results as he is far from the end product.

JimBHibees
13-09-2009, 08:20 PM
Age? Need to have so many under 23's or something?
Hanlon and Wotherspoon would have covered that surely. Personally would have Benji in front of Byrne every time. He scored against St Mirren and did ok against Falkirk. He was then bizarrely preferred to by Byrne in Celtic game and today, dont get it to be honest.

Jim44
13-09-2009, 08:24 PM
Hanlon and Wotherspoon would have covered that surely. Personally would have Benji in front of Byrne every time. He scored against St Mirren and did ok against Falkirk. He was then bizarrely preferred to by Byrne in Celtic game and today, dont get it to be honest.

I suspect that the Ramadan factor is more of an issue with Benjelhoun than Zemmama.:dunno:

NOLA
13-09-2009, 08:25 PM
would imagine a few changes to the side for the StJ Doubleheader, hughes sending a message to the players ' Do what i ask of you or your out '

PISTOL1875
13-09-2009, 08:26 PM

Stokes has to be the favourite after that comment....

hibsdaft
13-09-2009, 08:41 PM
Who should have been on the bench IMO.

Benji has made the mistake of having a big ego in the past and he now knows that it doesnt get him anywhere.

On the other hand, other players still have big egos.... and I think some of them need dropped off to some lower league team for a while for some toughening up.

I believe Benji has something he wants to prove now, and he should have been playing today.

i can see what your saying but at the end of the day we don't know why he wasn't in the team. could have been for a knock, for fatigue after going away with Morocco, could of been tactical.

and it seemed like Hughes was criticising the players on the pitch rather than anyone else.