PDA

View Full Version : Just back....Pedal for Scotland

Sprouleflyer
13-09-2009, 01:50 PM
Just back from the Pedal for Scotland cycle run, had a bath and my back is getting better.

How did fellow .netters get on?

I left Glasgow about 7.45 and got to Victoria park at midday, felt really good up to Linlithgow then began to struggle a bit, must have been the chicken soup :greengrin

How much of a **** is Barnton Avenue after 45 miles, jeez never thought Barnton was that hilly!!!

Anyway enjoyed my day, that B825 road from Airdrie to Linlithgow is a great cycle road, although we did have the weather for it today.

Well done to everyone that took part today.

Oh aye, CMON THE HIBS!!!!!!

FranckSuzy
13-09-2009, 01:58 PM
Well done-good effort :thumbsup:

H113EE5
13-09-2009, 08:14 PM
Well done. I did it last year and I had to push up the hill from Cramond through Barnton. Felt good, though, down the path towards Vickie Park. :thumbsup:

Hibbyradge
13-09-2009, 08:21 PM
We got to Viccy Park at 7.10 and the queue was so long we didn't leave till 8.20.

The driver got lost and by the time we eventually got our bikes off the trailer, it was 10.15.

Our starting time, therefore, was 10.30 and we finished at 4.30.

I cycled all the way although loads pushed heir bikes up hills etc. :smug:

The chicken soup and rolls at Lithgy was the best meal I've ever had. :greengrin

I'll definitely do it again next year, but might choose a different way of getting to Glasgow in the morning.

I'll feel it tomorrow though, for sure.

Woody1985
13-09-2009, 09:09 PM
We got to Viccy Park at 7.10 and the queue was so long we didn't leave till 8.20.

The driver got lost and by the time we eventually got our bikes off the trailer, it was 10.15.

Our starting time, therefore, was 10.30 and we finished at 4.30.

I cycled all the way although loads pushed heir bikes up hills etc. :smug:

The chicken soup and rolls at Lithgy was the best meal I've ever had. :greengrin

I'll definitely do it again next year, but might choose a different way of getting to Glasgow in the morning.

I'll feel it tomorrow though, for sure.

If anyone does decide to go ahead with this next year could people post it up about a month in advance.

I find it all too often that pyhsical events in Scotland aren't publicised until a couple of weeks prior to the event which leaves little or no time to train. I only knew about the race 3/4 weeks in advance and the bike I've been using for work is rubbish and probably wouldn't make it 50/60 miles in one go and I didn't have the cash to get a new one before the race.

Time after time you see a 5/10k race coming up and the notice is too short to do any training. It's crap considering we're trying to make people fitter and healtier.

clerriehibs
13-09-2009, 09:29 PM
If anyone does decide to go ahead with this next year could people post it up about a month in advance.

I find it all too often that pyhsical events in Scotland aren't publicised until a couple of weeks prior to the event which leaves little or no time to train. I only knew about the race 3/4 weeks in advance and the bike I've been using for work is rubbish and probably wouldn't make it 50/60 miles in one go and I didn't have the cash to get a new one before the race.

Time after time you see a 5/10k race coming up and the notice is too short to do any training. It's crap considering we're trying to make people fitter and healtier.

search on the internet every now and again for whatever type of gig you fancy ... there's all sorts, and they're almost all advertised well in advance.

Billy
13-09-2009, 10:50 PM
Well done to all who took part today, however...I left for the match at noon (I live in Linlithgow), I drove to Broxburn via Threemiletown and had to spend about 15 minutes dodging people on bikes who have no concept of how to cycle on a road!!

There was a distinct lack of stewards along the route, cycling 4 abreast on a busy road is suicidal, not just for the cyclists but for drivers who had to drive on the wrong side of the road to get past them and swerve to avoid cyclists who thought the entire road was for their personal use.

Yes, there was a few signs out saying the bike ride was on, which ensured that I and other motor users took our time and were careful, but 5 miles per hour on a 70mph road with cyclists not even looking around for cars was a complete joke. At one point dozens cut up a bus forcing the driver to hit the brakes with loads more cyclists close to the back of it.

I hope that everyone managed to complete the cycle and that the flashing blues from the ambulance heading towards Winchburgh was not for anyone taking part. If your doing the cycle again next year, please be safe and remember your road safety.

Well done again to those who took part :thumbsup:

Woody1985
13-09-2009, 10:56 PM
search on the internet every now and again for whatever type of gig you fancy ... there's all sorts, and they're almost all advertised well in advance.

I do occasionally have a look but I think they should be promoted more to get people involved rather than people who already have an interest.

What I've found is that a lot of the people in the races have ran a fair few races before etc and not many people doing it for the first time.

If there was more promotion of this cycle say 3/6 months ago then you could have had people out on bikes building up to the race. People will baulk at a 50/60 mile race if they have no bike and only see it in the paper two weeks before.

:hijack:

Hibbyradge
14-09-2009, 06:44 AM
Well done to all who took part today, however...I left for the match at noon (I live in Linlithgow), I drove to Broxburn via Threemiletown and had to spend about 15 minutes dodging people on bikes who have no concept of how to cycle on a road!!

There was a distinct lack of stewards along the route, cycling 4 abreast on a busy road is suicidal, not just for the cyclists but for drivers who had to drive on the wrong side of the road to get past them and swerve to avoid cyclists who thought the entire road was for their personal use.

Yes, there was a few signs out saying the bike ride was on, which ensured that I and other motor users took our time and were careful, but 5 miles per hour on a 70mph road with cyclists not even looking around for cars was a complete joke. At one point dozens cut up a bus forcing the driver to hit the brakes with loads more cyclists close to the back of it.

I hope that everyone managed to complete the cycle and that the flashing blues from the ambulance heading towards Winchburgh was not for anyone taking part. If your doing the cycle again next year, please be safe and remember your road safety.

I agree with al of that, Billy.

On more than one occasion, I was forced onto the wromg side of the road whilst overtaking a slower cyclists who just poulled out without looking.

The problem arises from the fact that the event is for people of all abilities and ages, many of whom are not regular cyclists. Just keeping the pedals moving in the wrong gears seemed to take all their concentration, so road sense was out of the question!

(This coming from the bloke who fell off after absentmidedly hitting the kerb after less than 5 miles! :rolleyes: )

You're also right about the marshalls. Loads of cyclists (including me) went the wrong way at one point in Glasgow when the sign to turn left was barely visible. Of all the turns, someone should have been there.

The fact that it seemed to be ersehole Sunday for many car drivers didn't help either. :grr:

Despite those wee complaints, I thoroughly enjoyed it and will definitely do it again next year.

Those folk who want a bit more notice of the event should be aware that Broxi and I registered for it 6 months ago. :wink:

Maybe we could enter a hibs.net team next year if we ever managed to agree which charity to collect for! :greengrin

HibeeMassive
14-09-2009, 08:08 AM
I agree with al of that, Billy.

You're also right about the marshalls. Loads of cyclists (including me) went the wrong way at one point in Glasgow when the sign to turn left was barely visible. Of all the turns, someone should have been there.

Not sure if you were in the same group as us, but we got stopped by a police car with the sirens on, screetching to a halt, just before we ended up on the M8 / dual carriageway along to Coatbridge... doh

Mr Policeman found it highly amusing, and to make it worse we'd just came down a rather tasty hill, which made for some great free-wheeling - not on the way back tho!! As it it wasn't long enough ... :greengrin

We too were late getting through because of the bus queue at Vicki Park - and for anyone doing it next year, I would suggest getting there early or making alternative arrangements.

Enjoyed the day though and managed to raise some good money for the Sick Kids at the same time.

Well done to everyone who took part ... !

MB62
14-09-2009, 08:46 AM

What! they were actually cycling on the ROAD, now there's a novel idea for cyclists. I stay on Ferry Road about 5 minutes walk from Vicky Park and was out yesterday cutting my hedge. I can assure you, 95% of them who were heading back west, probably towards cars that were parked the length of Ferry Road, cycled along the PAVEMENT forcing pedestrians to dodge them all day long.
Cyclists in general, seem to think they are a law unto themselves and I see them on a daily basis breaking or simply ignoring laws of the land and the road.

speedy_gonzales
14-09-2009, 09:19 AM
Cyclists in general, seem to think they are a law unto themselves and I see them on a daily basis breaking or simply ignoring laws of the land and the road.
You might want to rethink that one there? I'd suggest, in general, that cyclists are more than aware of the relevant laws, it's the few ar$ehole$ out there that perpetuate this myth that all cyclists are red light jumping/ pavement cycling/ granny rapists!
The decent cyclists are invisible, just like car drivers. You walk along the road and maybe hundreds of cars will pass you without event, one car jumps a red light as you cross at a 'green man' and I can pretty much guarantee that when you get to wherever you are going to, 'all car drivers are idiots' will spout forth.

MB62
14-09-2009, 10:08 AM
You might want to rethink that one there? I'd suggest, in general, that cyclists are more than aware of the relevant laws, it's the few ar$ehole$ out there that perpetuate this myth that all cyclists are red light jumping/ pavement cycling/ granny rapists!
The decent cyclists are invisible, just like car drivers. You walk along the road and maybe hundreds of cars will pass you without event, one car jumps a red light as you cross at a 'green man' and I can pretty much guarantee that when you get to wherever you are going to, 'all car drivers are idiots' will spout forth.

Nothing to re-think S.G

After years of driving I can assure you the VAST majority of cyclists that I see have no regard for their own safety, never mind the rules of the road, or pavement, which they seem to think is another lane for their own use that allows them to avoid red traffic lights.

speedy_gonzales
14-09-2009, 10:34 AM
Nothing to re-think S.G

After years of driving I can assure you the VAST majority of cyclists that I see have no regard for their own safety, never mind the rules of the road, or pavement, which they seem to think is another lane for their own use that allows them to avoid red traffic lights.
Fair enough, the 'vast majority that you see' it is then.
Usually I come across these sweeping generalisations when in the pub, or talking at work, and when it comes down to it they have maybe only seen 1 or 2 cyclists cycling irresponsibly and then it gets blown out of all proportion.
For some reason, every other road user, be it white van man, taxi driver, volvo driver or even just the plain old pedestrian, hate cyclists with a remarkable vengeance. I just don't get it.
For the record, I do cycle, not every day, but I do abide by all applicable rules. And for this, I have been knocked off my bike more than once and even rear ended at a roundabout by Mr Beemer. I don't hold a grudge, these things happen, but what I don't like is when folk(not you) crow on about cyclists being a menace when generally(in my opinion) they are not, but the mud sticks!

McSwanky
14-09-2009, 10:44 AM
Usually I come across these sweeping generalisations when in the pub, or talking at work, and when it comes down to it they have maybe only seen 1 or 2 cyclists cycling irresponsibly and then it gets blown out of all proportion.
For some reason, every other road user, be it white van man, taxi driver, volvo driver or even just the plain old pedestrian, hate cyclists with a remarkable vengeance. I just don't get it.
For the record, I do cycle, not every day, but I do abide by all applicable rules. And for this, I have been knocked off my bike more than once and even rear ended at a roundabout by Mr Beemer. I don't hold a grudge, these things happen, but what I don't like is when folk(not you) crow on about cyclists being a menace when generally(in my opinion) they are not, but the mud sticks!

There were hunners of them on the pavement yesterday. We were out for a walk with another couple with 2 prams, only to be asked reasonably politely if we could get out of the way. I moved aside, saying "sorry," only to find that a cyclist was the source of the request. Sorry I certainly was not.

The pavement is no place for bikes. If you aren't savvy enough to be on the road, you should be walking. Simple. I have no problem with people pushing their bikes on the pavement, but they should not be on the saddle.

Anyway, well done to all who participated in the event and raised money for charity. Can't have been easy at all for some of the 'big boned' folks I saw... :wink:

MB62
14-09-2009, 10:51 AM

I cycled for years myself S.G. Back and forward to my work every day, and know the pitfalls and dangers, had a few good bumps for my troubles too.
As a car driver, I give cyclists every bit of respect, a damn sight more than they give themselves. I am honestly not exaggerating when I say 95% of cyclists I see simply have regard for anything. I am not Mr perfect behind the wheel of my car, I make the odd mistake, but I do try and stick to rules of the road.
A wee bit more care and attention from cyclists would go a long way to making life easier for everybody.

BroxburnHibee
14-09-2009, 01:25 PM
I can honestly say that yesterday was one of the greatest things I've ever done.

What I found particularly inspiring was the amount of children taking part - fantastic.

Anyone who knows me will tell you I'm not exactly the right build for cycling :wink: but I did it - and I cycled all the way (Avonbridge & Cramond where particularly tough :greengrin)

I wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone who's even thought about it.

Can't wait for the next one.

PS. I might let the PM's have a wee glimpse of Radge's "injury" later on :greengrin

Hibbyradge
14-09-2009, 02:46 PM
Email from Maggie's

Congratulations!

Dear Cyclist,

WELL DONE for riding an amazing 51 miles at Pedal for Scotland yesterday. What a fantastic day and what an achievement!

Thank you again for supporting Maggie’s by taking on this great challenge. With one in three people facing a cancer diagnosis in their lifetime, the role Maggie’s plays in the community has never been greater.

Maggie’s are delighted to be the charity partner of such a great event and with over 3500 people riding in aid of Maggie’s yesterday, each and every one of your fundraising efforts will allow Maggie’s to continue to provide our services for free and welcome 400 visitors a day to our centres.

Visitors like Lisa Devlin, 33, of Glasgow, who was diagnosed with breast cancer. She said: “Following my diagnosis and subsequent months of treatment, I don't know what I would have done without Maggie’s Centre.

Through the centre I have had so many opportunities to nurture myself in a truly amazing place, run by such great people. Maggie’s staff supported my mental health and wellbeing and gave myself and many others a safe and nurturing environment to come to terms and deal with living with cancer."

Please keep raising vital funds for Maggie's cancer caring centres. It is not too late to donate(http://www.justgiving.com/Saddle-Sore-in-Scotland/)

Thank you again for your support and we look forward to seeing you at another Maggie’s event in the future.

clerriehibs
16-09-2009, 08:53 PM

Where exactly did cyclists on Pedal for Scotland have a 70mph road (i.e. a motorway or a full dual carriageway) on their route???

clerriehibs
16-09-2009, 09:00 PM
Nothing to re-think S.G

The VAST majority of car drivers are also reckless. This must be the case, as every day whilst cycling to work, I'm forced into avoidance action at least once; at every lights with an ASL (look it up), there's a car sitting in the pink area; and at every light change, one (or usually more than one) car diver will SPEED up to ensure they get through on amber (i.e., breaking the law). Therefore, by your reckoning, the VAST majority of car divers are irresponsible and reckless.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
16-09-2009, 09:00 PM
Where exactly did cyclists on Pedal for Scotland have a 70mph road (i.e. a motorway or a full dual carriageway) on their route???

You'd have been able to deduce that was a typo since A class roads are 60mph.

Billys right tho, these guys should use a bit of noggin considering they were on open roads. Speaking as a Cyclist, Runner, Motorist, Biker and Pedestrian, the no1 concern anyone should have out on the roads is their personal safety.

clerriehibs
16-09-2009, 09:02 PM
I cycled for years myself S.G. Back and forward to my work every day, and know the pitfalls and dangers, had a few good bumps for my troubles too.
As a car driver, I give cyclists every bit of respect, a damn sight more than they give themselves. I am honestly not exaggerating when I say 95% of cyclists I see simply have regard for anything. I am not Mr perfect behind the wheel of my car, I make the odd mistake, but I do try and stick to rules of the road.
A wee bit more care and attention from cyclists would go a long way to making life easier for everybody.

Honestly, you are exaggerating.

clerriehibs
16-09-2009, 09:05 PM
You'd have been able to deduce that was a typo since A class roads are 60mph.

Billys right tho, these guys should use a bit of noggin considering they were on open roads. Speaking as a Cyclist, Runner, Motorist, Biker and Pedestrian, the no1 concern anyone should have out on the roads is their personal safety.

My point was I didn't think it was a typo ... I know of a fair few drivers who believe national speed limit is 70mph.

madgoalie87
16-09-2009, 09:21 PM
My point was I didn't think it was a typo ... I know of a fair few drivers who believe national speed limit is 70mph.

it is in certain instances:duck:

HibbiesandtheBaddies
16-09-2009, 09:51 PM

Fair play.

But it's a moot point to cyclists IMHO. When on a major road, brains should be engaged.

I used to race motorcycles and I know only too well what happens to bodies that impact hard surfaces at speed. It really p1sses me off when I see how little regard some people show for their, and others wellfare on public roads.

Cyclists, in particular, need to be aware of how vulnerable they are. It's not always necessarily what their effect actions will have, but to be aware of some the erchies that they share the road with....

Bit of a Victor Meldrew moment there!

Landells
16-09-2009, 09:53 PM
Well done!

was the event a full Glasgow to Edinburgh? if so how many miles total?

clerriehibs
16-09-2009, 10:03 PM
Fair play.

But it's a moot point to cyclists IMHO. When on a major road, brains should be engaged.

I used to race motorcycles and I know only too well what happens to bodies that impact hard surfaces at speed. It really p1sses me off when I see how little regard some people show for their, and others wellfare on public roads.

Cyclists, in particular, need to be aware of how vulnerable they are. It's not always necessarily what their effect actions will have, but to be aware of some the erchies that they share the road with....

Bit of a Victor Meldrew moment there!

The other side of that particular coin, which the likes of the Daily hateMail and the EEN always seem to ignore; motorists have to be aware of just how much damage their carelessness will cause to other road users who are obliged by law to cycle on the road despite being little more than a faster moving pedestrian.

Admittedly without the stats to back me up (which doesn't stop some from using the "VAST majority of cyclists" phrase), reports of death & serious injury stats of cyclists (and pedestrians) generally appear to suggest that it's usually a case of the carelessness of the driver of a motor vehicle rather than the cyclist that's the cause of the accident.

Sprouleflyer
16-09-2009, 10:04 PM
Well done!

was the event a full Glasgow to Edinburgh? if so how many miles total?

52 miles in total.

Started at Glasgow Green and finished at Victoria Park just off Ferry Road.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
16-09-2009, 10:13 PM
The other side of that particular coin, which the likes of the Daily hateMail and the EEN always seem to ignore; motorists have to be aware of just how much damage their carelessness will cause to other road users who are obliged by law to cycle on the road despite being little more than a faster moving pedestrian.

Admittedly without the stats to back me up (which doesn't stop some from using the "VAST majority of cyclists" phrase), reports of death & serious injury stats of cyclists (and pedestrians) generally appear to suggest that it's usually a case of the carelessness of the driver of a motor vehicle rather than the cyclist that's the cause of the accident.

:agree: regard for other road users whether it be a car driver, cyclist, bus driver is key

lapsedhibee
16-09-2009, 10:55 PM
:agree: regard for other road users whether it be a car driver, cyclist, bus driver is key

What about us pogo-ists? :grr:

HibbiesandtheBaddies
18-09-2009, 07:30 PM
What about us pogo-ists? :grr:

You boys have just got to take the ups and downs of life in the fast lane like the rest of us......