PDA

View Full Version : Scotland have a dearth of decent central defenders yet..........

lyonhibs
13-09-2009, 07:57 AM
..... there is one defender who isn't 40, guarenteed a 1st team game when fit, has played in the SPL, Championship and Champions League, despite suspension has STILL played more 1st team football this season than McManus, never shirks a challenge and has a wee bit of pace about him.

Who is this man - guessing shouldn't be too hard :greengrin, and why has he not been picked for Scotland when Davie - El Geriatico - Weir consistently keeps coming back from the grave to be a complete fandango at CB for the national team!!

A couple of days "late" I guess, but looking at the Scotland squad, I fail to understand why there is a complete lack of current Hibs players in it, when the "filler" players that we seem to love turning to are invariably mediocre on a good day!!

Bob1875
13-09-2009, 08:23 AM
..... there is one defender who isn't 40, guarenteed a 1st team game when fit, has played in the SPL, Championship and Champions League, despite suspension has STILL played more 1st team football this season than McManus, never shirks a challenge and has a wee bit of pace about him.

Who is this man - guessing shouldn't be too hard :greengrin, and why has he not been picked for Scotland when Davie - El Geriatico - Weir consistently keeps coming back from the grave to be a complete fandango at CB for the national team!!

A couple of days "late" I guess, but looking at the Scotland squad, I fail to understand why there is a complete lack of current Hibs players in it, when the "filler" players that we seem to love turning to are invariably mediocre on a good day!!

I was thinking Ian Murray till you said he had a bit pace about him.

lyonhibs
13-09-2009, 08:27 AM
I was thinking Ian Murray till you said he had a bit pace about him.

I should specify when I say a bit of pace I mean:
"a bit more pace than David Weir" :greengrin

hibsbollah
13-09-2009, 08:32 AM
But Hogg's English, isnt he?:confused:

:devil:

500miles
13-09-2009, 08:50 AM
I don't get what people mean about Murray not having pace. When he first came back from injury, yeah he was sluggish, but once he loosens up and gets a couple of games under his belt, then he's got a fair turn of pace. IIRC when Sproule was here, over the length of a pitch, Murray was second fastest at the club.

However, I can't say I've ever really rated Murray at CH. He lacks the aeriel ability, and doesn't hold a the line well. Sure, he was excellent against Hearts last season, but they were toothless, and never put anything like the pressure he would expect to face on him. He was part of some of the leakiest defenses that Hibs have had, playing with Caldwell, Smith, Rudge, Konde....... I could go on.

Since his return, I've been pleasently suprised at how much he has improved as a leftback, and would make that his primary position.

Toaods
13-09-2009, 09:43 AM
I presume it to be Andy Webster.

lyonhibs
13-09-2009, 09:52 AM
I presume it to be Andy Webster.

:greengrin Good shout also.

iwasthere1972
13-09-2009, 10:11 AM

A shot in the dark. :agree:

Charlie Adam - Blackpool

Bob1875
13-09-2009, 10:13 AM
Am I right in saying that Murray has never been part of a Scotland squad?

iwasthere1972
13-09-2009, 10:18 AM

He's got 6 caps.

Bob1875
13-09-2009, 10:38 AM

He's got 6 caps.

Was he a hibs player when he got them?

iwasthere1972
13-09-2009, 10:45 AM
Was he a hibs player when he got them?

Think he got just the two while with Hibs.

Against Canada in 2002 and Moldova in 2004.