PDA

View Full Version : Hibs signing policy

Jack
12-09-2009, 04:12 PM
I’m not sure if its been part of the boards gradual investment plan they have promised us over the last few seasons or taking advantage of the current financial/football climate. Maybe both, but there's been a step change!

No ***** Sherlock, I noticed that too, I hear you all say! :greengrin

In the past few seasons we’ve picked up players at the bargain basement end of things and there's been a few gems in there, just a few. I cant be bothered taking my socks and shoes off to count the number of not so good signings!

I see Hibs continuing to sell the young players that come through, although we may be able to keep them half a season or so longer as the club continues to benefit from a healthier than most financial situation.

The money we get will be invested in known high quality out of contract [dumped] players. If it keeps up at £2+m rated players the likelihood of us picking up a dud will be fairly small in comparison with what we’re used to. There's still a chance though so lets keep calm. :dummytit:

The signing of these two ‘big name’ out of contract players will, I suspect, have been facilitated by fairly large up front payments (thanks Fletch! :agree:) and a rather modest wage, compared with what they're used to, that fits in our structure while they are at the Hibees.

Who knows, these ‘multi million pound stars’ might bring the youngsters on to be even better players than the ones we have had?

This is how I see it continuing in the future with perhaps a modest Barr type transfer now and again.

Why gamble £1.5m to £2m, over 3 years, on the likes of Arfield when you can get a £2m rated player for less than half that over 2 years? Particularly when IMO the chances of extending contracts is about equal.

Rod, you're a genius!

ancienthibby
12-09-2009, 04:15 PM
I’m not sure if its been part of the boards gradual investment plan they have promised us over the last few seasons or taking advantage of the current financial/football climate. Maybe both, but there's been a step change!

In the past few seasons we’ve picked up players at the bargain basement end of things and there's been a few gems in there, just a few. I cant be bothered taking my socks and shoes off to count the number of not so good signings!

I see Hibs continuing to sell the young players that come through, although we may be able to keep them half a season or so longer as the club continues to benefit from a healthier than most financial situation.

The money we get will be invested in known high quality out of contract [dumped] players. If it keeps up at £2+m rated players the likelihood of us picking up a dud will be fairly small in comparison with what we’re used to. There's still a chance though so lets keep calm. :dummytit:

The signing of these two ‘big name’ out of contract players will, I suspect, have been facilitated by fairly large up front payments (thanks Fletch! :agree:) and a rather modest wage, compared with what they're used to, that fits in our structure while they are at the Hibees.

Who knows, these ‘multi million pound stars’ might bring the youngsters on to be even better players than the ones we have had?

This is how I see it continuing in the future with perhaps a modest Barr type transfer now and again.

Why gamble £1.5m to £2m, over 3 years, on the likes of Arfield when you can £2m rated player for less than half that over 2 years? Particularly when IMO the chances of extending contracts is about equal.

Rod, you're a genius!

I'm stroking my tache as I tell ye: Telt ye so, disbelievers!!:devil::agree::thumbsup:

Petrie's Tache
12-09-2009, 04:30 PM
I'm stroking my tache as I tell ye: Telt ye so, disbelievers!!:devil::agree::thumbsup:

hey, It's my tache:grr:

ScottB
12-09-2009, 04:31 PM
Awairting retractions from BBC, Scotsman et all for spouting all the Hibs to slash budgets yet again chat earlier in the summer...

Probably waiting a fair while mind you!

Jack
12-09-2009, 04:40 PM
I should have added the likes of Derek Riordan and Ian Murray into this as well. :agree:

Onwards and upwards :thumbsup:

TheBall'sRound
12-09-2009, 04:52 PM
The other "free" benefit of signing the likes of Miller and Stokes is that Hibernian is becoming the "place to go" outside of the old firm in Scotland. We now need to convert the reputation into results and points.

European football is a minimum requirement for this season which in turn will turn this quality of signing from a nice surprise into the norm.

jacomo
12-09-2009, 06:55 PM
When Deeks returned to the club, Scott Lindsay described the signing as a "statement of intent".

I don't think that got much attention at the time, but we are now starting to see what he meant.

Petrie's reputation for being tight has hidden the fact that Hibs are spending money again!

rubber mal
12-09-2009, 07:04 PM

Why gamble £1.5m to £2m, over 3 years, on the likes of Arfield when you can get a £2m rated player for less than half that over 2 years? Particularly when IMO the chances of extending contracts is about equal.

Rod, you're a genius!

Good post.

I think Rod has sensed a great opportunity to invest a wee bit more, given the fact that most other clubs are struggling financially right now, hence a reduction in competition for players. Add to that the fact that a lot of players will be a lot more worried about their futures than they may have been a couple of years ago, and we are able to attract a better calibre of player within our wage budget (which, albeit has increased).

It also shows that he has faith in the manager, which hasn't always been the case.

All in all, I think it's evident that the man with the tache knows what he's doing and his prudent running of the club has placed us in a very strong position, while those around us falter. Admittedly a big factor in all of that has been our ability to bring through excellent young players, who have moved on and made us a lot of money, but the money still has to be invested properly.

One Day Soon
12-09-2009, 07:07 PM
Hibs signing policy

Our policy is that we will sign players when they are good enough because we now have the balanced budget to do so.

The Yam policy is that they won't sign players even if they are good enough because they do not have the money to do so.

Welcome, Yam Fuds, to the beginning of the cold hard reality that is 'spend today, pay tomorrow'.

Big Team/Wee Team is about to become the most ill judged piece of smug, yellow cardigan, rover driving, establishment, short sightedness you could imagine. Suck it up.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
12-09-2009, 07:15 PM
Good post.

I think Rod has sensed a great opportunity to invest a wee bit more, given the fact that most other clubs are struggling financially right now, hence a reduction in competition for players. Add to that the fact that a lot of players will be a lot more worried about their futures than they may have been a couple of years ago, and we are able to attract a better calibre of player within our wage budget (which, albeit has increased).

It also shows that he has faith in the manager, which hasn't always been the case.

All in all, I think it's evident that the man with the tache knows what he's doing and his prudent running of the club has placed us in a very strong position, while those around us falter. Admittedly a big factor in all of that has been our ability to bring through excellent young players, who have moved on and made us a lot of money, but the money still has to be invested properly.

Agree with all of that :agree:

Dibben
12-09-2009, 07:57 PM
Hibs signing policy

Our policy is that we will sign players when they are good enough because we now have the balanced budget to do so.

The Yam policy is that they won't sign players even if they are good enough because they do not have the money to do so.

Welcome, Yam Fuds, to the beginning of the cold hard reality that is 'spend today, pay tomorrow'.

Big Team/Wee Team is about to become the most ill judged piece of smug, yellow cardigan, rover driving, establishment, short sightedness you could imagine. Suck it up.

:agree: :thumbsup:

Welcome to your hellish future Yam fuds...

:greengrin

BH.

Eire hibs
12-09-2009, 08:25 PM
Hibs signing policy

:top marksQuality, my thoughts exactly.

SquashedFrogg
12-09-2009, 08:41 PM
Hibs signing policy

Beautifully put my man. :agree:

Could agree more, this "big team, wee team" :yawn: crap is about to bite them on the bum with a bigger bite than Nade at a free buffet.

Hibby days, are hear again...:trumpet::tee hee:

Kato
12-09-2009, 08:56 PM
Hibs signing policy

Two Scottish Cup wins cost them £40M + - they will soon be realising it wasn't worth it.

Mibbes Aye
12-09-2009, 09:28 PM
Two Scottish Cup wins cost them £40M + - they will soon be realising it wasn't worth it.

You would think. When the inevitable does come to pass some of them will still try and romanticise it as some sort of 'chasing the dream' adventure, thus allowing them to continue blaming everyone else for their failure (I'm expecting the SFA and the OF to feature strongly on their blamelist).

Professional victims, that what the Yams have become. They make Celtc look like the Stoics :rolleyes:

Dibben
12-09-2009, 10:05 PM
Could agree more, this "big team, wee team" :yawn: crap is about to bite them on the bum with a bigger bite than Nade at a free buffet.

:faf::faf: :thumbsup:

BH.

Kaiser_Sauzee
13-09-2009, 07:31 AM
The rainy day has arrived. :wink:

Spike Mandela
13-09-2009, 08:09 AM
This signing policy is a backward step. Where is our investment on infrastructure this year? Nowhere:grr:

After years of watching concrete block after concrete block spring up and the happy scenes as a girder was transported along Princes St not so long ago we are now reduced to watching routine maintenance and patch up jobs.

I signed up for my season ticket this year in the hope Hibs might show a little ambition and go for building the final stand. I was looking forward to a New Year of building sites, piles driven and JCB's but oh no now we have to sit back and watch the short termism of exciting football, decent players and goals.

Petrie GTF!!!!!!!:grr:

:wink:

sahib
13-09-2009, 11:18 AM

Rod, you're a genius!

The Miller signing is just a return to the type of signing Hibs used to make, before the extreme austerity of the last few years. The new stand may well have been sacrificed to fund it, at least for now.

Dashing Bob S
13-09-2009, 11:21 AM
This signing policy is a backward step. Where is our investment on infrastructure this year? Nowhere:grr:

After years of watching concrete block after concrete block spring up and the happy scenes as a girder was transported along Princes St not so long ago we are now reduced to watching routine maintenance and patch up jobs.

I signed up for my season ticket this year in the hope Hibs might show a little ambition and go for building the final stand. I was looking forward to a New Year of building sites, piles driven and JCB's but oh no now we have to sit back and watch the short termism of exciting football, decent players and goals.

Petrie GTF!!!!!!!:grr:

:wink:

All those poor kids who asked for green site helmets for their birthdays will so heartbroken.

Mikeystewart
13-09-2009, 12:02 PM

Duno if it could be garanteed cant say i would turn it down for us :wink:

Hibby Kay-Yay
13-09-2009, 12:13 PM

Rod, you're a genius!

Stokes was not out of contract :cool2: