PDA

View Full Version : NHC Le Tissier admits betting scam

Benny Brazil
11-09-2009, 11:24 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/8250042.stm

Something like this must be easy enough to do without being noticed too much. He even managed to get the agreement of the opposition.

lapsedhibee
11-09-2009, 01:39 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/8250042.stm

Something like this must be easy enough to do without being noticed too much. He even managed to get the agreement of the opposition.

Why would he write about this in his autobiography though? Shirley someone must have assured him that he stands to make more in extra sales through the publicity than he stands to lose by being fined etc.

Almost as bad as diving, that. :agree:

HUTCHYHIBBY
11-09-2009, 01:45 PM
He must've forgot to tell Neil Shipperley!

I'm sure West Ham players got involved in something like this a few years ago. I think the spread betting firms stopped taking bets on time of 1st throw in, not sure if you can do it now. :confused:

hibsdaft
11-09-2009, 02:13 PM
Almost as bad as diving, that. :agree:

i know it was only a throw in and i like MLT but its corruption plain and simple, not only bringing the game into disrepute but showing total disrespect for it and those who follow it.

diving is cheating one set of fans and one club.

this sort of scam is cheating every fan who thinks he is watching proper competative football, its cheating the fundamentals of the sport.

as i say, i like MLT and was glad he revealed all on this but they should still throw the book at him imo.

the day we can't trust what we're seeing in any given football match will be a very sad one.

far worse than diving imo.

NORTHERNHIBBY
11-09-2009, 02:19 PM
Yawn. I would skip past all the footie stuff and go straight to the chapters about when he was giving one to that blonde sort from Home and Away.

dalkeith stu
11-09-2009, 02:21 PM
He can't get fined or punished as is no longer involved in football.
I think this would be more wide spread as it's an easy thing to do. Nobody is hurt apart from the bookie and is that a bad thing. :wink:
I remember alot of games were the ball is kicked out straight from the kick off. I always thought this was crazy as your giving the ball away but others would say they are pushing the other team into the corner.

stu in nottingham
11-09-2009, 02:26 PM
I'm glad that something managed to get him 'running around like never before in his life'. Great player but that's not something you could have ever accused Matt Le Tissier of doing too often. :wink:

SmashinGlass
11-09-2009, 09:42 PM
I just love the title of the book - Taking Le Tiss

Genius!:faf:

Disc O'Dave
11-09-2009, 09:49 PM
Nobody is hurt apart from the bookie and is that a bad thing. :wink:

Well, unless you count honest punters who put a bet on the throw in being later, and MLT decides to make himself some cash by launching it out early doors.

Hibercelona
11-09-2009, 09:50 PM
Whats stopping players from placing bets online?

Surely their is no way of anyone finding out about it.

I wouldn't mind our player betting on themselves to score!

Pete
11-09-2009, 10:09 PM
i know it was only a throw in and i like MLT but its corruption plain and simple, not only bringing the game into disrepute but showing total disrespect for it and those who follow it.

diving is cheating one set of fans and one club.

this sort of scam is cheating every fan who thinks he is watching proper competative football, its cheating the fundamentals of the sport.

as i say, i like MLT and was glad he revealed all on this but they should still throw the book at him imo.

the day we can't trust what we're seeing in any given football match will be a very sad one.

far worse than diving imo.

You're right when you imply it's dishonest...but such an action doesn't effect the game or the result.

However, diving is a deliberate action to con the ref into making a false decision.

Everyone and their granny knew these things were going on until the bookies stopped it. How would you punish Matt now?

These incidents didn't cheat the fans in any way whatsoever. The players were more on a par financially with the fans in those days than they were with the top brass at william hill.

He doesn't have to answer to the fans of any club at all...just the lawyers of the bookies...which should be enough.

I reckon they knew the boundaries and the first few seconds of a match was fair game to make some dosh.

mixumatosis
11-09-2009, 10:50 PM
Like someone else said, I used to really enjoy watching MLT, but this is fraud in any other walk of life and his being retired from football shouldn't protect him from the consequences the rest of us would face.

hibsdaft
11-09-2009, 10:59 PM
These incidents didn't cheat the fans in any way whatsoever.

can't agree with that - he spent the start of the match worrying about putting the ball out the park rather than trying to win three points...

that robbing the fans plain and simple imo.

Pete
11-09-2009, 11:46 PM
can't agree with that - he spent the start of the match worrying about putting the ball out the park rather than trying to win three points...

that robbing the fans plain and simple imo.

The whole "scam" involved the first few seconds of the match...and it wasn't even about a decisive incident!

It's not robbing the fans of anything!

Steve-O
12-09-2009, 04:17 AM
Whats stopping players from placing bets online?

Surely their is no way of anyone finding out about it.

I wouldn't mind our player betting on themselves to score!

They'd have to do it through someone else though, because the sites would require all their personal details, bank accounts etc.