PDA

View Full Version : The Way ahead for the Scottish Game?

Scotsman
11-09-2009, 06:51 AM
I coach with the SYFA National development squads at Under 15 Level.

Myself and other SYFA coaches were over in Holland as part of a study tour in April for 8 days

For me there are some very significant differences between Scotland and Holland

One Governing Body

The Dutch FA are the sole body responsible for football in Holland, (we have the SPL, SFL , SJFA, SYFA, SWFA, Senior leagues, Junior leagues etc) We need one body with overall strategic responsibility for football in Scotland

Culture Change

We watched kids from 5-18 years old trying to pass the ball at every opportunity, with emphasis also on 1-1 situations

Ball possession is key in Holland. 5 Yr old kids were learning possession drills. We have to move away from the Kick and run style in Scotland
Our Coaching ethos shuld be based on this

Investment in facilities

Each small town has fantastic facilities, many which are the community hub in the town/village. Their is a real sense of ownership/pride in each club. Volunteer numbers for each club are fantastic.

Youth Initative

Professional Dutch clubs work very closely with Youth/Semi Pro teams, they often hold coaching workshops for clubs. Clubs often recommend players to the likes of PSV/Ajax.

If a senior club release a youth player they must ensure the player finds a club. They are not just released as they are over here. Player development, not just club development.

Coaching Development

All Dutch FA coaches must have ongoing development every year- they are awarded points for every seminar/workshop attended and they have to obtain a certain number of points to ensure they are still qualified

The Dutch system works - I was very impressed by the structure in Holland and am convinced its the way ahead for Scotland

Thoughts?

Paul McLennan

The_Todd
11-09-2009, 06:56 AM
I agree with your points above, and it's patently obvious to most fans that the state of the game in Scotland stinks - if Burley got us to a playoff it would have been papering over the cracks.

Sadly, I'm not sure if things will change.

The SPL and SFL won't want to lose control over their little "empires", and I'm sure the Old Firm are quite happy with the way things are going. Any change to the setup could threaten their position.

But things need to change, top to bottom - from the national setup, to the youths and to the domestic competitions.

MB62
11-09-2009, 08:33 AM

Myself and other SYFA coaches were over in Holland as part of a study tour in April for 8 days

One Governing Body

The Dutch FA are the sole body responsible for football in Holland, (we have the SPL, SFL , SJFA, SYFA, SWFA, Senior leagues, Junior leagues etc) We need one body with overall strategic responsibility for football in Scotland

Culture Change

We watched kids from 5-18 years old trying to pass the ball at every opportunity, with emphasis also on 1-1 situations

Ball possession is key in Holland. 5 Yr old kids were learning possession drills. We have to move away from the Kick and run style in Scotland

Investment in facilities

Each small town has fantastic facilities, many which are the community hub in the town/village. Their is a real sense of ownership/pride in each club. Volunteer numbers for each club are fantastic.

Youth Initative

Professional Dutch clubs work very closely with Youth/Semi Pro teams, they often hold coaching workshops for clubs. Clubs often recommend players to the likes of PSV/Ajax.

If a senior club release a youth player they must ensure the player finds a club. They are not just released as they are over here. Player development, not just club development.

Coaching Development

All Dutch FA coaches must have ongoing development every year- they are awarded points for every seminar/workshop attended and they have to obtain a certain number of points to ensure they are still qualified

The Dutch system works - I was very impressed by the structure in Holland and am convinced its the way ahead for Scotland

Thoughts?

Paul McLennan

Totally agree with everything you say Paul.
Given the fact that it looks like the only thing you are able to influence directly is your point CULTURE CHANGE can I ask if you and your other coaches on that course have since implemented this new approach?

WindyMiller
11-09-2009, 08:38 AM
Excellent post Paul.
Sound very much like the training my boys recieved as youngsters in Holland in the early 90's.
Best of luck to you and your fellow coaches, hopefully the players and parents will be receptive to your ideas.

Scotsman
11-09-2009, 08:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotsman

One Governing Body

Culture Change

Investment in facilities

Youth Initative

Coaching Development

Thoughts?

Paul McLennan

Totally agree with everything you say Paul.
Given the fact that it looks like the only thing you are able to influence directly is your point CULTURE CHANGE can I ask if you and your other coaches on that course have since implemented this new approach?

Thanks Burnsie

As coaches we fed our views into the SYFA and SFA- its up to them on how they wish to progress

Its an issue I hope to progress best I can

Paul

bingo70
11-09-2009, 09:05 AM

One Governing Body

Culture Change

Investment in facilities

Youth Initative

Coaching Development

Thoughts?

Paul McLennan

Good post, something that i've always thought is holding kids back is training and playing in the winter, how can you expect kids to learn things and enjoy it when it's pouring with rain, cold and windy? I've never been involved in coaching but surely in these conditions the emphasis is on keeping them warm rather than actually trying to improve their technical ability.

Something else that John Collins touched on when he was manager here was that although the coaches at the best intentions a lot of them were doing more harm than good by just continually doing training drills without actually stoping and telling players what they were doing wrong, some people say this was one of the reasons hibs players didn't enjoy training, it was very repetative until players actually learned and improved.