PDA

View Full Version : The worst "Sitter" you have witnessed

iwasthere1972
10-09-2009, 07:51 PM
No it's not a thread about the girl who looks after your kids while you and the wife/husband are out on the razzle. If it was then I could mention a few. :agree:

What from your own personal experience (you had to be at the match and not just watching it on the 50" plasma tv) is the worst "sitter" that you have seen a player miss.

Ivan Sproule

It was at Easter Road against Arbroath when Ivan had the ball on the edge of the penalty area, dribbled past the defender and all he had to do was put it in the net from about the penalty spot area. The Hibs fans in the FF were up from their seats getting ready to celebrate a goal but unfortunately wee Ivan skelped the ball with his left peg and it sailed past the post. :faf: I think even Ivan was having a wee chuckle.

I may have seen worse but that's the one I remember best.

Prof. Shaggy
10-09-2009, 07:57 PM
Wasn't that against St Mirren in the cup?
It was hilarious.

I'm_cabbaged
10-09-2009, 08:00 PM
Callum Milne at Firhill in a cup game, he even had his hands up celebrating before he kicked it. :greengrin

MSK
10-09-2009, 08:01 PM
Not the worse but worthy of a mention at least...im sure others will remember it too..

Andy Watson at Paisley dribbles his way through the St mirren rearguard & with only a tap in past the keeper required he proceeded to run the ball past the post !!! :grr:....why didnt that surprise me with Watson ...:greengrin

--------
10-09-2009, 08:04 PM
Bremner from 6 inches against Brazil in 1974. That was on TV, I admit, but it's seared into my soul.... :grr:

Storar
10-09-2009, 08:07 PM
No it's not a thread about the girl who looks after your kids while you and the wife/husband are out on the razzle. If it was then I could mention a few. :agree:

What from your own personal experience (you had to be at the match and not just watching it on the 50" plasma tv) is the worst "sitter" that you have seen a player miss.

Ivan Sproule

It was at Easter Road against Dundee United (I think) when Ivan had the ball on the edge of the penalty area, dribbled past the defender and all he had to do was put it in the net from about the penalty spot area. The Hibs fans in the FF were up from their seats getting ready to celebrate a goal but unfortunately wee Ivan skelped the ball with his left peg and it sailed past the post. :faf: I think even Ivan was having a wee chuckle.

I may have seen worse but that's the one I remember best.

Wasn't that against St Mirren in the cup?
It was hilarious.
Was against Arbroath :wink:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpRHzfNWVGc&feature=channel_page

Prof. Shaggy
10-09-2009, 08:12 PM
That's the one.

iwasthere1972
10-09-2009, 08:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpRHzfNWVGc&feature=channel_page

:thumbsup: I knew it was a team from oop north. :greengrin

The old memory is obviously on the way out because I thought he took it past a defender. Makes the miss even worse.

iwasthere1972
10-09-2009, 08:54 PM

MSK
10-09-2009, 09:03 PM
.Aye..that was a cracker too ..:thumbsup:

iwasthere1972
10-09-2009, 09:06 PM
Aye..that was a cracker too ..:thumbsup:

I can say with hand on heart that was one of my more sensible posts. :agree:

Onceinawhile
10-09-2009, 09:07 PM
kenny miller last night:agree:

MSK
10-09-2009, 09:11 PM
I can say with hand on heart that was one of my more sensible posts. :agree::greengrin

Lix
10-09-2009, 09:16 PM
Dirk Lehman v I think it was v Clydebank but at Morton's ground?:confused:

He was basically on the goal line but somehow managed to miss... kind of kicked it away from goal... unbelievable :no way:

HibbyAndy
10-09-2009, 09:19 PM
Sam Morrow header against the pubteamers at ER, sure it was a new yearish game, famous five end and he put his header wide.

blueisthecolour
10-09-2009, 09:21 PM
kenny miller last night:agree:

If that is one of the worst you can't have seen many sitters.

BigKev
10-09-2009, 09:27 PM
Iwelumo's miss against Norway takes some beating.

Callum_62
10-09-2009, 09:35 PM
Agathe vs Hearts at Tynie....1st game of season, finished 0-0

rounded niemi and all he had to do was roll it in.....didnt hit it hard enough and was cleared off the line.

I was already jumping out my seat celebrating when I thought "oh shi...."

HibbyAndy
10-09-2009, 09:38 PM

rounded niemi and all he had to do was roll it in.....didnt hit it hard enough and was cleared off the line.

Christ forgot all about that!

Total pap.

Ringothedog
10-09-2009, 09:38 PM
Joe Harper against the huns at ibrox, how he hit the bar from a distance of 1 millionth of a micron (poetic licence)i will never know:grr:

Shrekko
10-09-2009, 10:02 PM
Craig Brewster for Hibs v. Dundee United. His first game back at Tannadice, got a great reception from the United fans and they loved him even more when he missed a genuine half open goal from a couple of yards out.

Ed De Gramo
10-09-2009, 10:14 PM
Morrow's is the only one that springs to mind right away....did Fletch not miss one last season?

Leitherhibs
10-09-2009, 10:18 PM

Cant beat that one

Jonnyboy
10-09-2009, 10:19 PM
Iwelumo (Scotland v Norway)

Didier Agathe (Hearts v Hibs)

Tam McManus (Hibs v Rangers)

Hans Eskilsson (Hibs v Hearts) :greengrin

HibbyAndy
10-09-2009, 10:24 PM

Hearts were 1-0 up at the time threw Neil Pointin (remember it very well) that sitter cost hearts as Michael Oneil and Kevin Harper won it for Hibs 2-1...incidentally we had just been papped 7-0 at Ibrox which made the win even more remarkable.

Jonnyboy
10-09-2009, 10:25 PM
Hearts were 1-0 up at the time threw Neil Pointin (remember it very well) that sitter cost hearts as Michael Oneil and Kevin Harper won it for Hibs 2-1...incidentally we had just been papped 7-0 at Ibrox which made the win even more remarkable.

Good memory there Andy :thumbsup:

Do you recall what Eskilsson said in his own defence post match?

TheEastTerrace
10-09-2009, 10:32 PM

Remember being in the FF directly in line with it and thinking 'HTF did he miss that?'

Anyways, back to OP, I'm gonna break the TV rule and put forward Kanu for Portsmouth only 2 yards out and blazed it over the bar, Ronnie Rozenthal (remember we tried to sign him???!!) for Liverpool v Villa and Giggs for Man Utd v the Arsenal

iwasthere1972
10-09-2009, 10:34 PM

How long does it take to learn poker. :dunno:

HibbyAndy
10-09-2009, 10:35 PM

The Hibs fans put him off or summit? :greengrin

Jonnyboy
10-09-2009, 10:36 PM

Good try :greengrin

Eskilsson excused his miss by saying 'the roar from the Hibs crowd put him off' :greengrin

HibbyKeith
10-09-2009, 10:44 PM
Paco Luna, dont think i even need to mention the game.

HibbyAndy
10-09-2009, 10:46 PM

:agree:

:boo hoo::boo hoo::boo hoo:

Shrekko
10-09-2009, 10:47 PM

:greengrin

Good one!

Just shows you that we've all got a talent but it sometimes takes you a while to find it! He should have realised he wasnae a footballer a bit sooner mind you!

Monts
10-09-2009, 10:47 PM
Worse than Iwelumos (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmyUzOPyK8E) :greengrin

Monts
10-09-2009, 10:58 PM
Some unbelievable misses here! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjtY2HhAe2s&feature=related) :faf:

iwasthere1972
10-09-2009, 11:05 PM
Some unbelievable misses here! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjtY2HhAe2s&feature=related) :faf:

Was that oor Pat Nevin at about 3mins 20secs? The one immediately after Gazza.

ChilliEater
10-09-2009, 11:43 PM
Scotty Brown in the cup final - over the bar from about 3 yards.

CRAZYHIBBY
11-09-2009, 06:08 AM
keith wright v Kilmarnock in the early 90s we scored 3 goals in 5 minutes and could have made it 4 in 6 but keith missed an absolute sitter:greengrin

Mon Dieu4
11-09-2009, 07:22 AM
Van Vossen against Celtc or Harold Brattbak against the Yams 1 yard out & he put it over the bar :faf:

AFKA5814_Hibs
11-09-2009, 07:30 AM
Worse than Iwelumos (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmyUzOPyK8E) :greengrin

He didn't even need to hit it, just watch it roll into the net. :greengrin

Hibercelona
11-09-2009, 07:41 AM
Van Vossen against Celtc or Harold Brattbak against the Yams 1 yard out & he put it over the bar :faf:

Gereth evans at falkirk, the ball was on the line . How he managed to put it over the bar i'll never know.:faf:

Hibs Class
11-09-2009, 07:45 AM
Joe Harper, many years ago and I don't remember who we were playing, but it was at ER and we were shooting down the slope. He did all the hard work, presenting himself with an open goal, but then tried to belt it and miskicked so badly it more or less went out for a throw in front of the main stand.

dangermouse
11-09-2009, 07:51 AM
Again only saw this on TV. Eammon Bannon playing for Hearts in a European tie against an Irish team IIRC. Three yards out with an empty net in front of him and he headed the ball past the post. :faf::faf::faf:

loanheadhibby
11-09-2009, 08:57 AM

Stuart Lovell (Stirling V Hibs in scottish cup 2-1 defeat!

To this day I do not know how he missed.

Viva_Palmeiras
11-09-2009, 09:40 AM
Worst sitter witnessed - Nade when he was on the bench.

I seem to recall a number of times when I was listening on the radio "Watson screws it over the bar from 6 yards..."

LancashireHibby
11-09-2009, 10:02 AM
I once saw Mario Jardel miss an open goal from quite literally a yard out in a Carling Cup game against Walsall (or maybe Gillingham?) at the Reebok a few years ago. He made Nade look like a Weight Watchers success story.

BonnieFitbaTeam
11-09-2009, 10:15 AM

Good shout, but he missed an almost identical header at Castle Greyskull a few days before that. Two to choose from...

Agathe's miss against the Jambos was indeed a pearler !

Exiled Hibby
11-09-2009, 10:34 AM
Me. An Edin Ams match about 25 years ago. I was right under the bar to tap in to an open goal and managed to get it up and over the bar. what a red face!!!! Not one player could believe it was possible - the ref was even going to give it but realised I'd missed by the hysterical laughter from my own team-mates