PDA

View Full Version : Kris Boyd would have scored

Hibbyradge
10-09-2009, 12:35 PM
Boyd would have stuck away at least one of those chances last night, if he had been fast enough to be in the right place at the right time.

His contribution to Scotland's failure should not be forgotten.

An egotistical traitor.

RoslinInstHibby
10-09-2009, 12:43 PM
Boyd would have stuck away at least one of those chances last night, if he had been fast enough to be in the right place at the right time.

An egotistical traitor.

Weir at fault for the goal, Miller missed another couple of great chances, Bazza n McGregor acting like tw*ts, Boyd in the cream puff......what links all these players:hmmm:

blackpoolhibs
10-09-2009, 12:46 PM

An egotistical traitor.

:top marks i WOULD RATHER PLAY WITH 10 MEN THAT THAT HUN TWAT.

1two
10-09-2009, 12:52 PM
[QUOTE=Hibbyradge®;2168885]Boyd would have stuck away at least one of those chances last nightQUOTE]

so would deek:cool2:

And he's not in the huff !

Frazerbob
10-09-2009, 12:52 PM
add to the list:

Stone wall penalty not given in Skopje with Faddy getting booked for "diving" which ultimately cost him his place last night.

SFA agreeing to play in 100+ degrees in Skopje

The SFA using a hotel in Skopje in the middle of the main strip of bars which was full of blootered Scotland fans having a rammy 'til 6am. Really poor planning IMO.

Not playing Weir in Norway

Scott Brown's miss last night

This entire campaign has been a shambles and a lesson on how not to run a national football team. Everyone from top to bottom needs to take a long hard look at themselves and learn from the mistakes. From Pleat & Smith to Burley & Butcher to the many players who have let us down. Let's hope they all learn from the debacle.

Jonnyboy
10-09-2009, 12:53 PM

An egotistical traitor.

:agree:

Deeks would have scored at least one of those chances but for reasons unknown a proven goalscorer is overlooked :agree:

Exiled Hibby
10-09-2009, 12:54 PM
No doubt if/when Burley gets the sack, Boyd will suddenly declare himself available for selection again. If so I hope whoever the new manager is takes account of public opinion - its probably only the Huns that would have him back.
He and his fellow members of wee barry's gang are a disgrace for turning their backs on their country (Boyd, McCulloch) or failing to act professionally (McGregor and the wee ned)
I would rather play guys who are prepared to battle for the cause - even if like Kenny Miller, they are worse than the gang members.
Stuff Boyd and the rest of them.:grr::grr::grr:

hibsdaft
10-09-2009, 01:04 PM

:thumbsup:

scott7_0(Prague)
10-09-2009, 01:10 PM
Weir at fault for the goal, Miller missed another couple of great chances, Bazza n McGregor acting like tw*ts, Boyd in the cream puff......what links all these players:hmmm:

I agree Weir played some part last night but Hutton ( I think) was not tracking his man back, who then went on to score.....

PeterboroHibee
10-09-2009, 01:11 PM

Deeks would have scored at least one of those chances but for reasons unknown a proven goalscorer is overlooked :agree:

Thats one of the problems, we focus our attack on a guy who runs around mental trying to win every ball but cant score, instead of trying to work guys in who can actually score but will do less work.

JackRegan
10-09-2009, 01:14 PM
Don't think Boyd has scored for Rangers in Europe and he's only scored once against Celtic. Add to the fact that about 80% of his goals for Rangers have been against bottom 6 clubs, then I don't think Boyd would have scored.

its been a basket case of a campaign from start to finish.

JimBHibees
10-09-2009, 01:17 PM
I agree Weir played some part last night but Hutton ( I think) was not tracking his man back, who then went on to score.....
Yep Hutton was culpable as he switched off and let the scorer get onto the ball unchallenged if he had tracked the run he would IMO have been able to get a tackle in or put the guy off scoring.

RoslinInstHibby
10-09-2009, 01:21 PM

well its another one with links to rangers we can add to the blame list:greengrin

lucky
10-09-2009, 01:37 PM
Hutton was not at fault the guy who scored made Ivan look like Tony Higgins in the sprinting stakes. Last night was not the problem it was the games against Norway. We took 1 point out of 12 against the top two teams in the group

Storar
10-09-2009, 02:02 PM
If Boyd had been getting played in the first place and not sitting on the bench behind Iwelumo and Miller then he wouldn't have walked away anyway.

He is by far the best striking option we have yet he was still being overlooked for these two. Who's to say if he was available that Burley would have played him anyway? Going on past experiences you can only assume that he would have remained on the bench.

Burelys poor managment is at fault for me here. I'm not normally one for the whole 'this player is bigger than the team' thing but if Burleys departure meant that Boyd (and to a lesser extent McCulloch) we available for selection again then I wouldn't be in the least bit bothered.

Hibbyradge
10-09-2009, 02:13 PM
Don't think Boyd has scored for Rangers in Europe and he's only scored once against Celtic. Add to the fact that about 80% of his goals for Rangers have been against bottom 6 clubs, then I don't think Boyd would have scored.

He's scored 3 times for Rangers in Europe and 7 times for Scotland.

_hucks_
10-09-2009, 02:18 PM
Here's an unpopular opinion, but I reckon that Iwelumo has been wrongly overlooked. He missed one gloriously easy chance, that most people with even a passing interest in football could have scored. But the fact that it was that easy really does suggest it was an anomaly, something entirely alien to what he would usually do. He rattles away the goals for Wolves, and is a very hard worker to boot. Lots of finishing talent. Burley should have been strong enough not to capitulate to the pressure coming from just one miss, as he, as a football manager, should realise how rare that miss was. I feel sorry for Iwelumo as he really does have the quality to get into that Scotland team.

Sir David Gray
10-09-2009, 02:19 PM
If Boyd had been getting played in the first place and not sitting on the bench behind Iwelumo and Miller then he wouldn't have walked away anyway.

He is by far the best striking option we have yet he was still being overlooked for these two. Who's to say if he was available that Burley would have played him anyway? Going on past experiences you can only assume that he would have remained on the bench.

Burelys poor managment is at fault for me here. I'm not normally one for the whole 'this player is bigger than the team' thing but if Burleys departure meant that Boyd (and to a lesser extent McCulloch) we available for selection again then I wouldn't be in the least bit bothered.

:agree: I can understand why Boyd was upset. If I had the goals record that he has, I would be pretty annoyed at Chris Iwelumo getting a start ahead of me, too.

I probably wouldn't have made myself unavailable for selection by my country, though.

magnificent_seven
10-09-2009, 02:21 PM

An egotistical traitor.

Huge IF

HibbyAndy
10-09-2009, 02:22 PM
:agree: I can understand why Boyd was upset. If I had the goals record that he has, I would be pretty annoyed at Chris Iwelumo getting a start ahead of me, too.

I probably wouldn't have made myself unavailable for selection by my country, though.

KB is quite happy sitting on the bench for rangers when they play big games against celtic and european games, so should he then tell Watty he doesnt want to play for Der Hun again?

JackRegan
10-09-2009, 02:26 PM
He's scored 3 times for Rangers in Europe and 7 times for Scotland.

Against sides comprable to the bottom 6 in Scotland.

Hibbie_Cameron
10-09-2009, 02:27 PM
KB is quite happy sitting on the bench for rangers when they play big games against celtic and european games, so should he then tell Watty he doesnt want to play for Der Hun again?

Exactly:agree:

Everyone from Peat and Smith down to unused subs need to have a look at themselves. Not good enough all round imo

Jonnyboy
10-09-2009, 02:28 PM
Here's an unpopular opinion, but I reckon that Iwelumo has been wrongly overlooked. He missed one gloriously easy chance, that most people with even a passing interest in football could have scored. But the fact that it was that easy really does suggest it was an anomaly, something entirely alien to what he would usually do. He rattles away the goals for Wolves, and is a very hard worker to boot. Lots of finishing talent. Burley should have been strong enough not to capitulate to the pressure coming from just one miss, as he, as a football manager, should realise how rare that miss was. I feel sorry for Iwelumo as he really does have the quality to get into that Scotland team.

:top marks :agree:

Storar
10-09-2009, 02:29 PM
FFS obviously teams and players are going to score more goals against the bottom 6 sides, that's why they're in the bottom six in the first place, because they concede more goals.

How many teams/players score more goals (or even equal) against the top sides in the leagues than the bottom? :rolleyes:

Jonnyboy
10-09-2009, 02:32 PM

As a matter of interest how many goals do your Scottish strikers score against the lower sides? Oops I forgot, you don't have any :wink:

ballengeich
10-09-2009, 02:36 PM
Boyd wouldn't have been in place for Iwolumu's miss or for the ones last night. Iwolumo's miss came because he and Fletcher had provided the mobility and passing to set up the chance.

Boyd's pace, passing and close control let him down against top quality opposition. He's not the Messiah - just (insert appropriate cliche)

Storar
10-09-2009, 02:36 PM
Boyd wouldn't have been in place for Iwolumu's miss or for the ones last night. Iwolumo's miss came because he and Fletcher had provided the mobility and passing to set up the chance.

Boyd's pace, passing and close control let him down against top quality opposition. He's not the Messiah - just (a ******* good goalscorer)

JackRegan
10-09-2009, 03:03 PM
FFS obviously teams and players are going to score more goals against the bottom 6 sides, that's why they're in the bottom six in the first place, because they concede more goals.

How many teams/players score more goals (or even equal) against the top sides in the leagues than the bottom? :rolleyes:

Yes but his record against better sides is truly awful. Of course he'll socre more against the poor sides, but he should also show some sort of return against the better sides. He has not and there is a gulf in his scoring ratio.

Its a point thats not even lost on Walter smith.

JackRegan
10-09-2009, 03:04 PM
here's an unpopular opinion, but i reckon that iwelumo has been wrongly overlooked. He missed one gloriously easy chance, that most people with even a passing interest in football could have scored. But the fact that it was that easy really does suggest it was an anomaly, something entirely alien to what he would usually do. He rattles away the goals for wolves, and is a very hard worker to boot. Lots of finishing talent. Burley should have been strong enough not to capitulate to the pressure coming from just one miss, as he, as a football manager, should realise how rare that miss was. I feel sorry for iwelumo as he really does have the quality to get into that scotland team.

well said.

Scorrie
10-09-2009, 03:22 PM

I agree. But isnt he injured at the moment; out til at least next month?

Danderhall Hibs
10-09-2009, 03:34 PM

That's what i thought. He done his knee ligaments late last season I think so he's not had many chances to get into a Scotland squad.

_hucks_
10-09-2009, 03:35 PM

That may be the case, I have to admit to not checking. I doubt, however, that he would have been included if fit.

Regina Phalange
10-09-2009, 03:41 PM
That may be the case, I have to admit to not checking. I doubt, however, that he would have been included if fit.

Burley started him in the next international (friendly against Argentina) after his miss, he went off injured at half time. He hasn't been available for any of the subsequent squads.

500miles
10-09-2009, 04:10 PM
Kris Boyd embarrassed himself when he dropped out of the Scotland side. He thought everyone would take his side, force Burley out, and he would get his place. However, the TA don't take kindly to players who turn thier backs on Scotland, and rounded on him.

Boyd was an exceptionally lazy, unfit player. He had a knack for scoring goals against weak opposition, but couldn't get the upperhand against better CH's. Miller got the better of the Holland defence numerous times, and thus got into good goalscoring positions. Sadly, he wasted them, but the Boyd that abandoned Scotland,wouldn't have even got into them.

However, Boyd has been forced to up his game. He needed to prove himself in the wake of his walk out fiasco, and he has upped his effort. Stronger and fitter, Boyd may well be a starter now. He would certainly start against the slower CH's of Macedonia, and MAY now be able to compete against the big CH's of Norway.

George Burley has NEVER said Kris Boyd will never be picked again. He is open to Boyd admitting his mistake and coming back to represent Scotland. Boyd, if he has any patriotic feeling or humility, simply must make a public apology.

ancient hibee
10-09-2009, 04:42 PM
Boyd wasn't trying a leg in training with Scotland-Smith was leaving him out at Rangers partly for lack of effort -don't see Burley could have done anything else.

Oranje39
10-09-2009, 04:48 PM
I don't want to see Boyd anywhere near any future Scotland squads. He turned his back on Scotland because he was in a huff. We don't need players like that but I can see the next manager begging him to come back! :grr:

col02
10-09-2009, 04:49 PM
Scotland like it or not have to defend from the front and that is why guys like Riordan and the vastly over rated Kris Boyd will never be regular international players imho! For once Charlie Nicholas called it correct when he said we need a striker who will work his socks off for the cause and also score goals when they present themselves. I personally think the future lies with Steven Fletcher and Ross McCormack up front as they are both players who with a bit more experience give as near as the complete package as anyone Scottish can represent as a forward right now.

Dr What If?
10-09-2009, 06:26 PM
I really feel for Weir. He seems to be getting the blame for 'that' error. Personally I look to Burley again. Weir had an outstanding match for about 70 minuted when I was clear that he wasn't moving as freely, unfortunately, it was clear that at the age of 40 he just didn't have the tank for the full game. The mistake was due to simply fatige.
Burley called it right to bring him in, his game knowledge and ability gave us a new defence for the last two matches but when he started to struggle he should have been given a well earned rest. Burley let us all down by failing to recognise what was happening.

This is the first and last time I will ever defend a Rangers player by the way.:agree:

500miles
10-09-2009, 06:30 PM
I really feel for Weir. He seems to be getting the blame for 'that' error. Personally I look to Burley again. Weir had an outstanding match for about 70 minuted when I was clear that he wasn't moving as freely, unfortunately, it was clear that at the age of 40 he just didn't have the tank for the full game. The mistake was due to simply fatige.
Burley called it right to bring him in, his game knowledge and ability gave us a new defence for the last two matches but when he started to struggle he should have been given a well earned rest. Burley let us all down by failing to recognise what was happening.

This is the first and last time I will ever defend a Rangers player by the way.:agree:
It was a simple ball over the top. Tired or not, Weir should have dealt with it far better.

Dr What If?
10-09-2009, 06:30 PM
I agree with the Boyd comments. If Burley does go, I hope the new manager makes it very clear that turning your back on the national team is the ultimate sin and that Boyd is simply not welcome.
Did he honestly think that he was so important to the national team that his actions would have the fans screaming and get the manager sacked? Even if he was available, bench player at best.

Dr What If?
10-09-2009, 06:31 PM
It was a simple ball over the top. Tired or not, Weir should have dealt with it far better.

Maybe tired was the wrong phrase, 'completely out on his feet' may be more appropriate.

faffkid
10-09-2009, 06:39 PM

clerriehibs
10-09-2009, 08:51 PM

That would have to be 9 men then, because if Boyd isn't worthy, you can be damn sure that huffy, smug git Weir should never have been invited back.

Lewis77
10-09-2009, 08:53 PM

clerriehibs
10-09-2009, 08:59 PM

What's your point, caller? Boyd has 7 goals in 15 full international appearances (appearances, not necessarily starts). That's the stat that counts. But you don't think Boyd would have scored.

Maybe more of a problem is Scottish players who'd rather play for a foreign team, no?

clerriehibs
10-09-2009, 09:03 PM
Kris Boyd embarrassed himself when he dropped out of the Scotland side. He thought everyone would take his side, force Burley out, and he would get his place. However, the TA don't take kindly to players who turn thier backs on Scotland, and rounded on him.

Boyd was an exceptionally lazy, unfit player. He had a knack for scoring goals against weak opposition, but couldn't get the upperhand against better CH's. Miller got the better of the Holland defence numerous times, and thus got into good goalscoring positions. Sadly, he wasted them, but the Boyd that abandoned Scotland,wouldn't have even got into them.

However, Boyd has been forced to up his game. He needed to prove himself in the wake of his walk out fiasco, and he has upped his effort. Stronger and fitter, Boyd may well be a starter now. He would certainly start against the slower CH's of Macedonia, and MAY now be able to compete against the big CH's of Norway.

George Burley has NEVER said Kris Boyd will never be picked again. He is open to Boyd admitting his mistake and coming back to represent Scotland. Boyd, if he has any patriotic feeling or humility, simply must make a public apology.

You mean like Weir did ... not?

ballengeich
10-09-2009, 09:12 PM
"Seconds later, however, the Rangers striker inexplicably missed a glorious chance when he took a fresh-air swipe at Gary Naysmith's left-wing cross."

This is from the BBC report on a Boyd miss in the Scotland-Georgia game from the last Euro qualifier. Iwolumo or Miller would surely have scored.:devil:

Onceinawhile
10-09-2009, 09:23 PM
Burley started him in the next international (friendly against Argentina) after his miss, he went off injured at half time. He hasn't been available for any of the subsequent squads.

This is a Burley bashing thread, less of your facts!

500miles
10-09-2009, 09:31 PM
You mean like Weir did ... not?

I'm no Weir fan, he was wrong to do what he done. However, Vogts refused to take any blame for the Faroese dabacle, and tried to pass the anger and disappoint of an entire nation onto the shoulders of Weir and Dailly. Weir decided he didn't need that pressure, and, at 32, he retired.

Boyd threw the toys oot the pram because he didn't get picked.

The incidents are totally different.

clerriehibs
10-09-2009, 09:47 PM
I'm no Weir fan, he was wrong to do what he done. However, Vogts refused to take any blame for the Faroese dabacle, and tried to pass the anger and disappoint of an entire nation onto the shoulders of Weir and Dailly. Weir decided he didn't need that pressure, and, at 32, he retired.

No, they're not, they're exactly the same; criticised player takes huff.

Weir was criticised by Vogts (rightly, I think), he took the huff over playing for Scotland, but was ultimately welcomed back by most it would seem.

Boyd was criticised by Burley (wrongly, I think), he took the huff over playing for Scotland, but is now the devil's spawn, it would seem.

Gutted Scotland didn't make it, but I'm delighted that Weir's Scotland career has probably ended with him making an erse of himself.

blackpoolhibs
10-09-2009, 10:06 PM

Weir was criticised by Vogts (rightly, I think), he took the huff over playing for Scotland, but was ultimately welcomed back by most it would seem.

Boyd was criticised by Burley (wrongly, I think), he took the huff over playing for Scotland, but is now the devil's spawn, it would seem.

Gutted Scotland didn't make it, but I'm delighted that Weir's Scotland career has probably ended with him making an erse of himself.

I thought Boyd was just not picked, and Boyd said he did not want to play for scotland again as long as Burley was in charge. Boyd is not a player who can play up front on his own, and thats why Burley did not pick him. He told boyd to go back to rangers and work on his game, and his chance would come.

Vogts blamed Weir for the goals we conceded, against san marino i think, or was it the faroes. Any blame should have been kept in the dressing room, i think there were 2 different reasons, but imho although i disagreed with Vogts, i would not have picked Weir again either.

HibbyAndy
10-09-2009, 10:09 PM
I thought Boyd was just not picked, and Boyd said he did not want to play for scotland again as long as Burley was in charge. Boyd is not a player who can play up front on his own, and thats why Burley did not pick him. He told boyd to go back to rangers and work on his game, and his chance would come.

Vogts blamed Weir for the goals we conceded, against san marino i think, or was it the faroes. Any blame should have been kept in the dressing room, i think there were 2 different reasons, but imho although i disagreed with Vogts, i would not have picked Weir again either.

Faroes.

GC
10-09-2009, 10:17 PM
If Burley goes and Boyd is available for Scotland again then select him and play him.

lyonhibs
10-09-2009, 10:21 PM

Rancid guff.

That entire period of Scottish football reflected well on no-one, but Weir and Dailly had Premiership experience and - at a guess - 70-80 odd caps between them and the defence concede TWO goals in 45 minutes to the F A R O E I S L A N D S ffs!!!!

Now, I'm sure others were to blame as well, but Vogts knows a thing or two at being an international class defender, even if he abjectly failed to transmit this wealth of experience to the players.

So, how do you react when directly challenged by your national manager - for me, if you hate him, you decide the best way to ram it up him is by improving and buckling down to prove him wrong or if you respect him it's to take it on board and do your damndest to eradicate those errors next time out. Christian Daily, the professional did the later (or maybe the former, no-one can be sure)
Davie Weir however spat his toys out of his pram and showed his true colours by turning his back on his country, only to come snivelling back when Vogts had gone.

And what's this "and at 32, decided he didn't need the stress" - what does the fact he's 32 got to do with it?? - he only started his pro career at the age of 23/24, so you'd think he'd appreciate just how lucky he was to be playing professional football, never mind for his country, and want as long and rewarding a career as possible.

Boyd is a snivelling coward as well I hasten to add - told that his "lazy barsteward" style of play didn't suit the 4-5-1 Burley was going with, to force his way back into the Rangers starting line-up (which he still hasn't 100% done) and improve his game. Boyd takes this request completely the wrong way and throws his toys out the pram, saying he refuses to play for his country as long as Burley is there, and will (like Weir with Vogts) undoubtedly come worming his way back in if/when Burley goes.

Both total cry-babies and both play for Rangers :rolleyes::hmmm::violin:

GGTTH

Jonnyboy
10-09-2009, 10:22 PM
What's your point, caller? Boyd has 7 goals in 15 full international appearances (appearances, not necessarily starts). That's the stat that counts. But you don't think Boyd would have scored.

Maybe more of a problem is Scottish players who'd rather play for a foreign team, no?

Not that old chestnut again :wink:

500miles
10-09-2009, 10:28 PM

Boyd was never publicly criticised by Burley until the walkout. Furthermore, Boyd still has career ahead of him, and is of the right age to play internationally. He should be having NO thoughts about retirement.

Weir felt as if he was being thrown to the media's dogs. He was 32, and had been thinking of retirement anyway. Vogts was only interested in passing the buck to Weir and Dailly. Weir had already put in a lot of work for Scotland. Smith then managed to talk Weir into extending his international career - Weir wasn't planning to walk back in when the manager had changed, he simply thought it was time to call it a day.

There is a WORLD of difference.

Speedy
10-09-2009, 10:35 PM
I'd like to see Boyd back in because I think he is an improvement on what we have. I'm not exactly sure of what was said but from what I remember it was something along the lines of Boyd being told he had to improve his club form in order be selected for Scotland and he responded by pulling out and concentrating on Rangers. This maybe wasn't the right thing to do but I don't think it is that unreasonable(if that is what happened)

500miles
10-09-2009, 10:36 PM
Rancid guff.

That entire period of Scottish football reflected well on no-one, but Weir and Dailly had Premiership experience and - at a guess - 70-80 odd caps between them and the defence concede TWO goals in 45 minutes to the F A R O E I S L A N D S ffs!!!!

Now, I'm sure others were to blame as well, but Vogts knows a thing or two at being an international class defender, even if he abjectly failed to transmit this wealth of experience to the players.

So, how do you react when directly challenged by your national manager - for me, if you hate him, you decide the best way to ram it up him is by improving and buckling down to prove him wrong or if you respect him it's to take it on board and do your damndest to eradicate those errors next time out. Christian Daily, the professional did the later (or maybe the former, no-one can be sure)
Davie Weir however spat his toys out of his pram and showed his true colours by turning his back on his country, only to come snivelling back when Vogts had gone.

And what's this "and at 32, decided he didn't need the stress" - what does the fact he's 32 got to do with it?? - he only started his pro career at the age of 23/24, so you'd think he'd appreciate just how lucky he was to be playing professional football, never mind for his country, and want as long and rewarding a career as possible.

Boyd is a snivelling coward as well I hasten to add - told that his "lazy barsteward" style of play didn't suit the 4-5-1 Burley was going with, to force his way back into the Rangers starting line-up (which he still hasn't 100% done) and improve his game. Boyd takes this request completely the wrong way and throws his toys out the pram, saying he refuses to play for his country as long as Burley is there, and will (like Weir with Vogts) undoubtedly come worming his way back in if/when Burley goes.

Both total cry-babies and both play for Rangers :rolleyes::hmmm::violin:

GGTTH

Right Pierre, put yourself in the Weir's position. So Weir sticks to the national team, and they get humped again. Once again, Vogts is looking for someone to blame. He blames you again, and feeds the media more ammo.

I wouldn't give him the chance if I was in Weir's position. Vogts saw fit to slate him, and at 32 he isn't going to improve. I would have said "Maybe at my age club and country is too much of a stretch." This allows the manager to kick on without too much distraction, and you get to leave on amicable terms, without becoming a scapegoat or villian.

blackpoolhibs
10-09-2009, 10:38 PM
I'd like to see Boyd back in because I think he is an improvement on what we have. I'm not exactly sure of what was said but from what I remember it was something along the lines of Boyd being told he had to improve his club form in order be selected for Scotland and he responded by pulling out and concentrating on Rangers. This maybe wasn't the right thing to do but I don't think it is that unreasonable(if that is what happened)

He made himself unavailable for his country, he turned his back on us as a nation. All because he was not picked. I wouldn't have him back if he begged.

Hibster
10-09-2009, 10:45 PM

he picked up a bad injury in pre-season for Wolves - was straight away ruled out of the Macedonia and Netherlands games. Think Burley's picked him for every Scotland squad since the Norway game when fit so he hasn't overlooked him.

Agree with your post though - that miss against Norway was a freak event and shouldn't be used as a reason not to play him. If he can do the business with Wolves in the EPL this season I'm sure he'll be in future Scotland squads

lyonhibs
11-09-2009, 07:21 AM
Right Pierre, put yourself in the Weir's position. So Weir sticks to the national team, and they get humped again. Once again, Vogts is looking for someone to blame. He blames you again, and feeds the media more ammo.

I wouldn't give him the chance if I was in Weir's position. Vogts saw fit to slate him, and at 32 he isn't going to improve. I would have said "Maybe at my age club and country is too much of a stretch." This allows the manager to kick on without too much distraction, and you get to leave on amicable terms, without becoming a scapegoat or villian.

Would you have then come back as soon as the incumbent manager had got the heave ho and continued to play until the age of 238, or however old he is (and apparently he says he is STILL not retiring from international football :grr: :grr:)

His return to the Scotland squad post-Vogts can be looked at in 2 ways - either he came back in as a personal favour to Walter Smith, which to be a legitimate viewpoint (IMO) would have involved Weir staying for a couple of games/1 qualifying campaign at most to fill in until Walter Smith had taken stock and got his more "medium/long term" Scotland squad settled in his mind

OR

Weir was quite happy to play for his country, but not for someone who had dared to fail to massage his ego after a gantin' performance against the Faroe Islands (you need to take into account just how shocking that 1st half was, and against the Faroe Islands as well - if we'd been 2-0 down against anyone with a modicum of a reputation for attacking ability, I doubt Berti would have personalised his criticism quite so much). If you've come back purely as a "personal favour to help out" someone in particular, you don't then extend your international career by 4 years!!

FWIW, I would have had Weir in my Scotland starting 11 until a year or two ago. Now he is very, very simply just TOO slow, and hasn't got the Bobby Moore style reading of the game that allows his mind to compensate for that lack of a yard or two (or eight) of pace.

blackpoolhibs
12-09-2009, 11:55 AM
Is anyone watching Chris boyd playing :faf: for the huns at the moment? Never international class, even Kenny Miller looks better.:bitchy:

BryanV
12-09-2009, 12:08 PM

Gutted Scotland didn't make it, but I'm delighted that Weir's Scotland career has probably ended with him making an erse of himself.?

Whilst there was some implicit criticism of Boyd after he [Boyd] declared himself unavailable for selection, I don't recall Burley saying anything about Boyd prior to that.

clerriehibs
12-09-2009, 08:14 PM
?

Whilst there was some implicit criticism of Boyd after he [Boyd] declared himself unavailable for selection, I don't recall Burley saying anything about Boyd prior to that.

He spoke to radio scotland

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/7665985.stm

CentreLine
12-09-2009, 08:22 PM

An egotistical traitor.

Absolutely agree. His contribution was to be totally disruptive and so far up himself he forgot that he has to be picked for Scotland before it matters whether he wants to play or not. I hope the next time he sees a Scotland shirt is on TV as he watched his country play in the Euro Championships. The SFA must back George Burley as he dismantles the premadona cliques and gives us a team again

500miles
12-09-2009, 08:58 PM
He spoke to radio scotland

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/7665985.stm

......It's hardly a criticism is it? Boyd hadn't been playing for Rangers, so how could Burley gauge his form?

blackpoolhibs
12-09-2009, 11:14 PM
......It's hardly a criticism is it? Boyd hadn't been playing for Rangers, so how could Burley gauge his form?

:top marks We criticize the manager for playing old firm reserves, yet when he does not play one, he's also criticized.:confused: As a side note, did anyone see him play today against motherwell. What a fat lazy git, never good enough for international football in a million years.:bitchy: