PDA

View Full Version : Question Football on TV

suavegav
10-09-2009, 11:28 AM
How many houses and pubs in Scotland do you think have sky TV. How much money is being drained from Scotland, going down to London to help pay for the quality of English football. I was in two minds when the SPL signed the new contract with sky and ESPN, the good side is, it helps to bring the bigot brothers back down to our level, but at the same time, dont you think sky are discriminating against Scottish fitba by paying us a fraction of what they pay the EPL. Even terrestrial tv stations pump more money into English fitba proportionally than Scottish Fitba. Is it coincidence that the countries with huge TV deals in Europe, i.e Spain, Italy, Germany and England all have international teams which are qualifying relativily easily from their groups. I think that we in Scotland should start to think about where our money is going, as its obvious to me its going to the wrong place.
I do enjoy watching Fitba from other leagues on TV, but i think some sort of protest, like cancelling our sky subscriptions might make the TV companies give us a better deal. Rant Over

HUTCHYHIBBY
10-09-2009, 12:00 PM
We receive next to nowt as the qualtiy of the product is p!ss poor!

Frazerbob
10-09-2009, 12:06 PM

We receive next to nowt as the TV chanels get next to nowt from Scottish subscriptions and advertising.

LancashireHibby
10-09-2009, 12:14 PM
How many houses and pubs in Scotland do you think have sky TV. How much money is being drained from Scotland, going down to London to help pay for the quality of English football. I was in two minds when the SPL signed the new contract with sky and ESPN, the good side is, it helps to bring the bigot brothers back down to our level, but at the same time, dont you think sky are discriminating against Scottish fitba by paying us a fraction of what they pay the EPL. Even terrestrial tv stations pump more money into English fitba proportionally than Scottish Fitba. Is it coincidence that the countries with huge TV deals in Europe, i.e Spain, Italy, Germany and England all have international teams which are qualifying relativily easily from their groups. I think that we in Scotland should start to think about where our money is going, as its obvious to me its going to the wrong place.
I do enjoy watching Fitba from other leagues on TV, but i think some sort of protest, like cancelling our sky subscriptions might make the TV companies give us a better deal. Rant Over
Sky make so much money from the EPL by re-selling the rights to other countries, whilst also encouraging increases in subscriptions.

Fact is, the SPL isn't of a good enough standard to hold such power and, as such, can't command the same fees for the rights. As it is, I almost prefer this situation to the one of a few years ago where the Sky TV was heavily relied upon, and then caused huge financial trouble when Sky pulled the plug (excuse the pun).

IndieHibby
10-09-2009, 12:20 PM
Doesn't Sky employ rather a large amount of people in Livingston?

Frazerbob
10-09-2009, 12:23 PM

:agree:

And Dunfermline.

Hibee87
10-09-2009, 12:36 PM

Yes I had the unfortunate please of working there, it is the main or was the main call centre in britain for sky howver i think thta call centre has since moved to india. but regardless of where they have a base doesnt make scottish football more profitable:bitchy:

Joy Zipper
10-09-2009, 12:41 PM
Yes,I had the unfortunate please of working there, it is the main,or was the main call centre in britain for sky howver i think thta call centre has since moved to india. but regardless of where they have a base doesnt make scottish football more profitable:bitchy:

Were you sacked because of your bad spelling and grammar ? :faf::faf:

suavegav
10-09-2009, 12:44 PM

Yes, but thats exactly the point im getting at. Why are we piss poor. Do you think we receive a fair deal from the TV companies.
Another thing, how much do sky pay La Liga for the rights to show their games.
We have a population of 5 million in Scotland, how many Scots live in the rest of Britain and Spain for example. I just think we are being ripped off/discriminated against.

Steve20
10-09-2009, 12:56 PM
No thanks. I will keep my Sky subscription. I enjoy watching the football on it. I don't get this blame Sky for our league being pish stuff.

Gatecrasher
10-09-2009, 12:59 PM
No thanks. I will keep my Sky subscription. I enjoy watching the football on it. I don't get this blame Sky for our league being pish stuff.

exactly, the SPL was at its best in years when sky first covered it, we had players like latapy zitelli, sauzee, players we can only dream of coming to hibs.

it wasnt sky who rejected the new tv deal back then.

Peevemor
10-09-2009, 01:06 PM

Sky aren't to blame, but they haven't helped.

exactly, the SPL was at its best in years when sky first covered it, we had players like latapy zitelli, sauzee, players we can only dream of coming to hibs.

it wasnt sky who rejected the new tv deal back then.

These players were signed because of the sky money. Even though we were in the 1st division when we signed Sauzee and Latapy, this was done with the sky money in mind.

Big Frank
10-09-2009, 01:06 PM

Rather than spraffing about a private company such as Sky, you should maybe turn your attention to the British Broadcasting Company. Don't you think that Scottish Football should be receiving a tenth of what the Football Assosiation receive.

The BBC pump in hundreds of millions to English football.

We have around 10% of the English population, so we contribute 10% to the BBC.

Welsh football should also be getting their percentage as should Northern Ireland. (though I'm not sure if these two do or not).

Hibee87
10-09-2009, 01:08 PM

Yes I had the unfortunate please of working there, it is the main or was the main call centre in britain for sky howver i think thta call centre has since moved to india. but regardless of where they have a base doesnt make scottish football more profitable:bitchy:

suavegav
10-09-2009, 05:01 PM
Rather than spraffing about a private company such as Sky, you should maybe turn your attention to the British Broadcasting Company. Don't you think that Scottish Football should be receiving a tenth of what the Football Assosiation receive.

The BBC pump in hundreds of millions to English football.

We have around 10% of the English population, so we contribute 10% to the BBC.

Welsh football should also be getting their percentage as should Northern Ireland. (though I'm not sure if these two do or not).

Precisely. I was not just picking on Sky, but all TV companies in general. In Scotland we dont see our fitba until 2 days after its played. Even then we get very limited highlights. In England, they get MOTD then highlights of all other leagues on a saturday night. How much did the BBC pay for our fitba compared to English fitba. it doesnt matter that our league is piss poor, its deserves the same coverage and exposure, then maybe our profile would increase and we could get better quality. IMHO