PDA

View Full Version : Next Scotland Manager

SidBurns
10-09-2009, 07:32 AM
Who should replace Burley!?!?!?!

Personally I think Souness, he would certainly kick some ass and get th team playing for each other. He was seemingly a great player (as Kenny Dal) and would maybe get more respect from other teams/managers that Georgy Boy!

lapsedhibee
10-09-2009, 07:37 AM
Who should replace Burley!?!?!?!

Personally I think Souness, he would certainly kick some ass and get th team playing for each other. He was seemingly a great player (as Kenny Dal) and would maybe get more respect from other teams/managers that Georgy Boy!
If you think that trying to end other players' careers is a sign of greatness, then aye.

The_Todd
10-09-2009, 07:40 AM
Until we're managerless, I think this poll is as relevant as one asking "who should replace Yogi?"

magnificent_seven
10-09-2009, 07:46 AM
Craig Levein. Would do an excellent job for Scotland.

Hibrandenburg
10-09-2009, 08:08 AM
As long as it's not another blue nose who puts his club before his country :grr:

big gogs
10-09-2009, 08:27 AM
why does souness name crop up for the scotland job,burley is still the manager,does any manager with a reputation want the job,souness bought success at rangers,money was limitless at ibrox when he was there.any manager stands or falls with the players at his disposal,and they were not good enough.could it be as football fans at club or country we expect to much

ScottB
10-09-2009, 08:40 AM
Souness? I'd rather we appoint Mixu. Why are so many convinced that muppet is the answer? He hasn't managed in years and I would say his recent record is greatly inferior to Burley, indeed he hasn't won squat anywhere he has had any semblenance of competition or a blank cheque book.

As for those who think he can get them fighting and cut the drinking, oh yeah his Rangers sides were all model professionals and screaming at internationals does nothing. That and it's a stick on we'd see the return of Barry and co and all the other Rangers favourites.

Of the available candidates Strachan is the only choice. Levein would be good but doubt he'd do it, otherwise we must go foreign. Though I think Burley should stay.

Lucius Apuleius
10-09-2009, 09:04 AM
Never been one for dramatics, but if Souness is ever appointed Scotland manager, my SSC card is burnt and not renewed. I am actually heading that way with Strachan as well tbh. Man is a little prick.

Alicky Ranks
10-09-2009, 09:08 AM
I'd go for George Graham. Great manager who seems to have faded from view.

PotsyHibee
10-09-2009, 09:25 AM
Souness? I'd rather we appoint Mixu. Why are so many convinced that muppet is the answer? He hasn't managed in years and I would say his recent record is greatly inferior to Burley, indeed he hasn't won squat anywhere he has had any semblenance of competition or a blank cheque book.

As for those who think he can get them fighting and cut the drinking, oh yeah his Rangers sides were all model professionals and screaming at internationals does nothing. That and it's a stick on we'd see the return of Barry and co and all the other Rangers favourites.

Of the available candidates Strachan is the only choice. Levein would be good but doubt he'd do it, otherwise we must go foreign. Though I think Burley should stay.

:top marks

That pretty much sums up my views perfectly.

yekimevol
10-09-2009, 09:32 AM
walter smith his contract is up in january

Mikeystewart
10-09-2009, 09:41 AM
I'd take Souness in a heartbeat

Dashing Bob S
10-09-2009, 09:43 AM
Levein. Basically because it'll weaken Dundee United.

The_Todd
10-09-2009, 10:35 AM

Yes, we've all seen how much he values the Scotland job.

MacBean
10-09-2009, 10:44 AM

:top marks

That pretty much sums up my views perfectly.

:top marks:top marks:top marks

NORTHERNHIBBY
10-09-2009, 11:10 AM
Wouldn't give it to Souness unless FIFA start to allow national teams to buy players. The only thing that he has managed with success is his massive ego. My choice would be to try and tempt Wattie Smith back. He has got the animals back on an even keel and with Murray not now being the public face of der-hun I could see a new broom being applied. I know it is not popular, but I would maintain that the mini-revival that we have seen it recent years started with him almost immediately post-Berti Vogts.

mmmmhibby
10-09-2009, 11:46 AM

agree 100%, we need a manager with a bit passion, and levein ticks all the boxes. He certainly wont pick OF reserves!! Plays will be picked on merit!!

offshorehibby
10-09-2009, 11:53 AM
Anybody bar souness he's pesh and proved at several clubs. Although the press would have you believe he knows what he's doing.

PeterboroHibee
10-09-2009, 12:00 PM
Would stick with Burley tbh, been fairly unlucky with injuries and ******** players, maybe another campaign with a full squad would see us do better. One thing I would say is he needs to clear out the crap if he does stay (Miller, Weir, Caldwells, Alexander, Maloney, Commons etc) and replace them with decent, hungry young guys who will have time to develop into the sqaud. He also needs to look beyond the Championship and OF!

As for Levein, his best quality is the signing of random players and getting their careers back on track; wouldnt exactly work at National level. Tactically he still has alot of work to do, dont think he would be right for the job (though would weaken United!).

bighairyfaeleith
10-09-2009, 12:02 PM
one word

SHABBA

:wink:

Frazerbob
10-09-2009, 12:04 PM
Would stick with Burley tbh, been fairly unlucky with injuries and ******** players, maybe another campaign with a full squad would see us do better. One thing I would say is he needs to clear out the crap if he does stay (Miller, Weir, Caldwells, Alexander, Maloney, Commons etc) and replace them with decent, hungry young guys who will have time to develop into the sqaud. He also needs to look beyond the Championship and OF!

As for Levein, his best quality is the signing of random players and getting their careers back on track; wouldnt exactly work at National level. Tactically he still has alot of work to do, dont think he would be right for the job (though would weaken United!).

Of the players mentioned, only Weir will not be included in the squad for Japan (unless injured) whoever is the manager.

GreenPJ
10-09-2009, 12:04 PM

Wally Smith turned his back on Scotland once already, did not get us qualification when he was the manager and would take us backwards even although we might get a few more points. I don't believe Smith would have had the balls to play someone like Naismith last night who was superb.

I would stick with Burley and give him some friendlies and a couple of games into the next campaign. The SFA don't like him because he challenges existing SFA behaviour, he has made mistakes no doubt about that but the structure he works in is not conducive for a manager who is trying to progress Scottish football not just about the here and now results although obviously that is important too.

Franck is God
10-09-2009, 12:06 PM

Souness did to an extent buy success at Rangers but he then went to Liverpool and won the FA cup there, was the league in Turkey, did well with Southampton where keeping them in the Premiership was unexpected then went to Blackburn where he won the league cup. They may not have liked him much at Newcastle but they wouldn't be playing in the Championship right now if he was still there.

As a player or a manager Burley couldn't even imagine being as good or as successful as Souness.

At our level of football where we don't have the best players around what we need is someone to inspire the players we do have to perform at the top of their game every time they go onto the pitch. Someone like Souness or Strachan might be able to do that.

PeterboroHibee
10-09-2009, 12:14 PM
Of the players mentioned, only Weir will not be included in the squad for Japan (unless injured) whoever is the manager.

And thats why we struggle.

Wilson
10-09-2009, 12:15 PM
Until we're managerless, I think this poll is as relevant as one asking "who should replace Yogi?"

Michael O'Neill.

iwasthere1972
10-09-2009, 12:18 PM
:doh: Who is this A.N.Other? Can't find anything about him on Wikipedia but no doubt he could do a better job than the other three suggestions.

Holmesdale Hibs
10-09-2009, 12:21 PM

Agree, would rather have him than any of the three above. Strachan would be better than Souness or Dalgleish.

Hibiza
10-09-2009, 12:23 PM
Souness isn a teat. everything he touches turns to merde.:bye:

hibsitis
10-09-2009, 12:26 PM
This article says all there needs to be said on Souness as a manager.

http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/sport/Tom-English-39Souness-is-not.5621715.jp

I'd keep Burley but, failing that, Strachan would be a good choice.

Frazerbob
10-09-2009, 12:42 PM
And thats why we struggle.

I would have all of them in the squad. Who would you replace Miller, Commons, Caldwell, Alexander & Malony with? Not the World's best players but, unfortunately they are some of the best we have.

Booked4Being-Ugly
10-09-2009, 01:03 PM
I can't believe people are voting for wee greetin faced ginga baws! I don't think i could stand seeing his wee soor puss post match interviews, trying to be witty 'cause his team got horsed - no thank you! :bitchy:

PeterboroHibee
10-09-2009, 01:07 PM
I would have all of them in the squad. Who would you replace Miller, Commons, Caldwell, Alexander & Malony with? Not the World's best players but, unfortunately they are some of the best we have.

Maloney - Robson or Mccormack; both much, much better options.
Alexander - Thomson? (depends what role hes playing)
Caldwell - Berra or Webster (once fit)
Commons - just cant see him doing that much, if we play 4-3-3 will be a striker (Naismith did well imo), if we play 4-4-2 Brown on the right?
Miller - anyone who can ****ing score; Fletch is the best alternative imo, but we have other strikers such as Naismith, McCormack, O'Conner.

And these are all guys who have some sort of international experience. There will be boys coming through by the next tournament, or already making themselves known, who must be better than some of the current bunch.

Hibbyradge
10-09-2009, 01:10 PM
Yogi. :duck:

iwasthere1972
10-09-2009, 01:13 PM
I can't believe people are voting for wee greetin faced ginga baws! I don't think i could stand seeing his wee soor puss post match interviews, trying to be witty 'cause his team got horsed - no thank you! :bitchy:

Me neither. I genuinely found the guy quite funny when he was managing Southampton but that all changed with he got the top job at Celtic. That's when he stopped being funny and turned into a moaning face sarcastic unfunny git.

JackRegan
10-09-2009, 01:16 PM
Me neither. I genuinely found the guy quite funny when he was managing Southampton but that all changed with he got the top job at Celtic. That's when he stopped being funny and turned into a moaning face sarcastic unfunny git.

While I was no fan of his managing celtic, in a funny kind of way I think the Scotland job would be well suited to Strachan's style of management and the way he sets his team out.

Booked4Being-Ugly
10-09-2009, 01:30 PM
While I was no fan of his managing celtic, in a funny kind of way I think the Scotland job would be well suited to Strachan's style of management and the way he sets his team out.So you think he was gash at Celtic but he'd do for Scotland? :wink:

JackRegan
10-09-2009, 01:50 PM
So you think he was gash at Celtic but he'd do for Scotland? :wink:

The way he sets his teams out would play more to Scotland's strengths and the type of games Scotland face. :wink:

Viva_Palmeiras
10-09-2009, 01:56 PM
Come back Paw Broon all is forgiven... :wink:

hibsdaft
10-09-2009, 02:03 PM
Come back Paw Broon all is forgiven... :wink:

:agree::agree:

HibbyAndy
10-09-2009, 02:08 PM
Craig Levein would be a decent shout IF GB doesnt remain.

ScottB
10-09-2009, 02:11 PM
Souness did to an extent buy success at Rangers but he then went to Liverpool and won the FA cup there, was the league in Turkey, did well with Southampton where keeping them in the Premiership was unexpected then went to Blackburn where he won the league cup. They may not have liked him much at Newcastle but they wouldn't be playing in the Championship right now if he was still there.

As a player or a manager Burley couldn't even imagine being as good or as successful as Souness.

At our level of football where we don't have the best players around what we need is someone to inspire the players we do have to perform at the top of their game every time they go onto the pitch. Someone like Souness or Strachan might be able to do that.

Burley took Ipswich into Europe, I'd say thats a damn impressive feat. He also we must admit did a good job at the Yams. Souness has been out the game way too long. I doubt his ability to inspire, as while shouting and screaming at club players on your payroll is one thing, at international level they won't stand for it.

Strachan could be an option, in a similar situation to McLeish, he may see it as a good route into the Premiership. I know the Celtic fans hate him, as do many others, but his record there speaks for itself, remember he won more than 'Saint Martin' ever did.

JackRegan
10-09-2009, 02:25 PM
Burley took Ipswich into Europe, I'd say thats a damn impressive feat. He also we must admit did a good job at the Yams. Souness has been out the game way too long. I doubt his ability to inspire, as while shouting and screaming at club players on your payroll is one thing, at international level they won't stand for it.

Strachan could be an option, in a similar situation to McLeish, he may see it as a good route into the Premiership. I know the Celtic fans hate him, as do many others, but his record there speaks for itself, remember he won more than 'Saint Martin' ever did.

No he did not. He never even matched any of O'Neill's points tally and oversaw some real humiliations.

euro Hibby
10-09-2009, 02:34 PM
david Moyes ..........

bighairyfaeleith
10-09-2009, 03:26 PM
david Moyes ..........

wouldn't leave everton I don't think,

surprised no one has mentioned jimmy calderwood :devil:

bighairyfaeleith
10-09-2009, 03:26 PM
No he did not. He never even matched any of O'Neill's points tally and oversaw some real humiliations.

Every day as celtic manager is a humiliation :wink:

Haymaker
10-09-2009, 03:28 PM

Did he not win more trophies? Maybe didnt match points tallies but silverware in the cabernet is where it counts.

Sloppy
10-09-2009, 03:40 PM
alex ferguson when he leaves man.utd?

JackRegan
10-09-2009, 03:50 PM
Did he not win more trophies? Maybe didnt match points tallies but silverware in the cabernet is where it counts.

O'Neill won 7 trophies. Strachan won 6.

Trust me and thousands other celtic fans when we say that O'Neill, despite his faults (and he did have them) was a much better manger than Strachan.

Also, O'Neill won a Treble against a Rangers side that was one of the most expensive in European football at the time.

crash
10-09-2009, 04:00 PM
Surprised old Lexo hasn't been mentioned on here, the living(apparently) embodiment of the SFA coaching manual.

Frazerbob
10-09-2009, 05:13 PM
Maloney - Robson or Mccormack; both much, much better options.
Alexander - Thomson? (depends what role hes playing)
Caldwell - Berra or Webster (once fit)
Commons - just cant see him doing that much, if we play 4-3-3 will be a striker (Naismith did well imo), if we play 4-4-2 Brown on the right?
Miller - anyone who can ****ing score; Fletch is the best alternative imo, but we have other strikers such as Naismith, McCormack, O'Conner.

And these are all guys who have some sort of international experience. There will be boys coming through by the next tournament, or already making themselves known, who must be better than some of the current bunch.

All these players, with the exception of Robson, Webster and O'Connor would be in my squad as well those mentioned. If Robson was to play regularly then he would maybe make it also but he needs to prove himself IMO. I'd also add Iwalumo when fit but as you've demonstrated, not all players are available for every game. That's why you have a squad of around 24 players. You need several options for each possition. If all were available I'd play Caldwell, the rest would be squad players, playing if they are in good form. I don't agree that they should be binned from squad, which is what I think you were saying.

West Upper
10-09-2009, 08:23 PM
I think Craig Levein would do a good job.

Hibby Bairn
10-09-2009, 09:14 PM
John Collins

Lewis77
10-09-2009, 09:15 PM
If they can get wee Gordon I say go for it, he's most qualified of all the the candidates, in that he has managed at the highest level! Dalglish could be a master stroke but I don't think he'd take it! Souness would be a terrible selection and Collins could be genius but I fear he may still be too inexperienced for the Scotland job !

ScottB
10-09-2009, 10:48 PM

Trust me and thousands other celtic fans when we say that O'Neill, despite his faults (and he did have them) was a much better manger than Strachan.

Also, O'Neill won a Treble against a Rangers side that was one of the most expensive in European football at the time.

With a side assembled with the kind of budget and players Strachan couldnt afford. Strachan took Celtic further in the Champions League than O'Neill with an inferior squad to the Larsson lead O'Neill teams.

He may not be perfect, or everyones cup of tea, but of all the realistic choices he is the clear stand out candidate.

Haymaker
11-09-2009, 12:26 PM

Fair play, i thought it was the other way round.

Dunbar Hibee
11-09-2009, 12:40 PM
Craig Levein:agree:

surely Sir Alex owes Scotland somethin?:cool2:

LamontHFC©
11-09-2009, 12:58 PM
Craig Levein:agree:

surely Sir Alex owes Scotland somethin?:cool2:

:pray: