PDA

View Full Version : England 5 -1 Croatia

Dashing Bob S
09-09-2009, 09:41 PM
England did the United Kingdom proud with a jolly decent win over Croatia!

RigRoars
09-09-2009, 09:49 PM
:agree:

Good team. think they'll do well in the finals

monktonharp
09-09-2009, 09:50 PM
England did the United Kingdom proud with a jolly decent win over Croatia! Ltukfud !

HibeeSince82
09-09-2009, 09:54 PM
Yeh they are good enough to wi..... lol sorry cant continue with that. who cares if england are there! They aint gonna win it!(Thankfully) English press will be expecting the world cup again after hammering croatia again.

Monts
09-09-2009, 09:57 PM
:yawn: another 'wind up the scotland fans' thread from DBS

Sylar
09-09-2009, 10:02 PM
Damned right it's not all doom and gloom - my home nation aren't playing til later on :thumbsup:

surreyhibbie
09-09-2009, 10:07 PM
Actually, I hope they do quite well (but not TOO well) as I am the Chairman of a British Legion Club and we could do with the money that a horde of slavering ********s would spend over the bar whilst watching their team on the big screen....:wink:

iwasthere1972
09-09-2009, 10:13 PM

Good team. think they'll do well in the finals

:agree: Until the penalties.

If Carlsberg did penalties they wouldn't feature England. :devil:

dalkeith stu
09-09-2009, 10:15 PM
Yeah, another semi final penalty defeat against the huns or a cheating Argie.

Oh i cant wait to see that d**k Ian Wright slavering p**h at the BBC's, sorry our expence.
I hope they send him on safari and he gets eaten by a lion!!! :a bite: :pray:

Glasgow Hibee
09-09-2009, 10:24 PM
It's some small consolation to watch England get humiliated in a tournament we weren't even good enough to get into.

Danderhall Hibs
09-09-2009, 10:25 PM
Yeah, another semi final penalty defeat against the huns or a cheating Argie.

Oh i cant wait to see that d**k Ian Wright slavering p**h at the BBC's, sorry our expence.
I hope they send him on safari and he gets eaten by a lion!!! :a bite: :pray:

He packed in the BBC. It'll be Shearer, Hansen, O'Neill and Strachan.

Danderhall Hibs
09-09-2009, 10:26 PM
It's some small consolation to watch England get humiliated in a tournament we weren't even good enough to get into.

I've been worried since Capello was appointed that they might just go and win it. They've got good enough players to do it.

Judas Iscariot
09-09-2009, 10:31 PM
Just shows what a decent manager can do...

England are well in with a good shout come 2010

Glasgow Hibee
09-09-2009, 10:33 PM
I've been worried since Capello was appointed that they might just go and win it. They've got good enough players to do it.

Please don't even make jokes like that ! :worried:

ScottB
09-09-2009, 10:48 PM

I agree, but Brazil are looking extremely strong and Spain too. Wouldnt be surprised to see one of the African teams go a long way too, maybe Ivory Coast?

I think England will do much better than recently, but I just can't see them winning it yet.

Edinburgh Green
09-09-2009, 10:49 PM

They always do.

Danderhall Hibs
09-09-2009, 10:51 PM
They always do.

But they don't always walk through qualifying like they just have. The manager seems to have sorted them out. If they get a favourable draw I think they could win it.

hibby hib 69
09-09-2009, 10:56 PM
But they don't always walk through qualifying like they just have. The manager seems to have sorted them out. If they get a favourable draw I think they could win it.
Let's pray they don't win cos we will never ever hear the end of it fi the english pundits

ArabHibee
09-09-2009, 11:06 PM

DBS - you're nearly as bad as Macar who starts Scotland threads on the Sunderland RTG boards.

And you want to see some of the replies he gets on there, certainly not as nice as the hibs.netters!! :greengrin

Hainan Hibs
09-09-2009, 11:08 PM
:yawn:

Edinburgh Green
09-09-2009, 11:15 PM

I do think they have a better organised unit compared to other years but think it will be same old England when the hit the big stage. Being played in the African heat wont help either.

I have a feeling for once in they're spawny lives they'll get a hard draw...they're due one!

Sas_The_Hibby
09-09-2009, 11:26 PM
I do think they have a better organised unit compared to other years but think it will be same old England when the hit the big stage. Being played in the African heat wont help either.

I have a feeling for once in they're spawny lives they'll get a hard draw...they're due one!

I wouldn't bank on that one if I were you - it will be winter in South Africa and pleasantly mild, for the most part. :wink:

What is your rationale for suggesting a) England are spawny and b) they're due a hard draw?

iwasthere1972
09-09-2009, 11:37 PM
Croatia - Ukraine - Belarus - Kazakhstan - Andorra.

Apart from maybe Croatia you would've expected England to have beaten those teams at home and away. The teams in bold they have yet to play and maybe the Ukranians will bring them back down to earth.

England failed to beat France, Spain and Holland in friendlies so they have (apart from qualified) as far as I am concerned done nothing yet.

Scotland not being in South Africa is bad enough but now everytime I turn on Sky Sports it will be about Capello and the World Cup Champions elect. :grr:

rainman
10-09-2009, 01:12 AM
:yawn: another 'wind up the scotland fans' thread from DBS

He's doing a damn good job though! :wink:

Nando™
10-09-2009, 03:16 AM
England have the players to win the World Cup.

Players like Terry, Rooney, Lampard, Ferdinand and Cole have featured in the last 2 Champions League Finals, it would be silly to just assume that 'it's England, they will lose to somecunt on penalties.'

Mon the Brazilians.
Everyone loves a Brazilian.

VegasHibby
10-09-2009, 05:08 AM
Ok, I don't have any English blood in me in fact my family fought the English and still does and I'm f'in proud of it but,what an incredible result against a very good team. Scotland is suffering badly. We're bleeding to death. WTF is wrong. 0-1 isn't bad against a very good Dutch side but that's not the problem what is ? You can't blame any one individual but we look like amateurs compared to other national teams. Is it a cultural thing or did the boycott initiated by Boyd and co run deep and influence any importance to national pride ?......

Septimus
10-09-2009, 06:30 AM

And how did the cricket go old chap?

Sylar
10-09-2009, 07:20 AM
Trinidad and Tobago 0-1 USA :thumbsup:

Hibrandenburg
10-09-2009, 07:27 AM

I always try and imagine what Hibs net user are like in real life. At the moment I've got you down as the type of bloke who regularly gets a slapping in his local. :greengrin

Hibrandenburg
10-09-2009, 07:31 AM
Ok, I don't have any English blood in me in fact my family fought the English and still does and I'm f'in proud of it but,what an incredible result against a very good team. Scotland is suffering badly. We're bleeding to death. WTF is wrong. 0-1 isn't bad against a very good Dutch side but that's not the problem what is ? You can't blame any one individual but we look like amateurs compared to other national teams. Is it a cultural thing or did the boycott initiated by Boyd and co run deep and influence any importance to national pride ?......

We're just a wee tadpole in a big fish pond.

SidBurns
10-09-2009, 07:31 AM

Completely disagree:-

1. Not got a decent keeper in their squad, they would love Craig Gordon and whoever does play is ALWAYS prone to the odd error here and there
2. John Terry is one of the most overrated players in the world and as above, ALWAYS prone to the odd error
3. Yes they've got good midfield players but almost too many!
4. Rooney aside their forwards are also pants - Carlton Cole, Emmle (sp?) Heskey!?!

When it comes down to it (thankfully!), your Germany's, Italy's, Argie's, Spain's, Brazil's and not to forget the Dutch will beat them - THANK ****! :greengrin

rainman
10-09-2009, 07:40 AM
Completely disagree:-

1. Not got a decent keeper in their squad, they would love Craig Gordon and whoever does play is ALWAYS prone to the odd error here and there
2. John Terry is one of the most overrated players in the world and as above, ALWAYS prone to the odd error
3. Yes they've got good midfield players but almost too many!
4. Rooney aside their forwards are also pants - Carlton Cole, Emmle (sp?) Heskey!?!

When it comes down to it (thankfully!), your Germany's, Italy's, Argie's, Spain's, Brazil's and not to forget the Dutch will beat them - THANK ****! :greengrin

But half the fun of World Cups is watching England build themselves up before falling well short of their expectations.

Ian Wright's face immediately after the final whistle blows and they are knocked out has been my highlight of the last 3 tournaments!

lapsedhibee
10-09-2009, 07:43 AM
Ian Wright's face immediately after the final whistle blows and they are knocked out has been my highlight of the last 3 tournaments!
:agree: Will be a travesty if Wrighty Wright isn't in front of the cameras during the finals. Absolutely wasted on radio.

The_Todd
10-09-2009, 07:45 AM
Just shows what a decent manager can do...

And a population of 50m...

RIP
10-09-2009, 07:59 AM

I'm sure you would agree that the Commonwealth has never been the same since the kaffirs took power?

The_Todd
10-09-2009, 08:00 AM
Can't believe how many people rise to the bait.

Some people need to chill.

Keith_M
10-09-2009, 08:00 AM
They have a world class manager and an almost endless supply of, at the very least, good players.

Whereas we.....

magnificent_seven
10-09-2009, 08:08 AM
They have a world class manager and an almost endless supply of, at the very least, good players.

Whereas we.....

Have a 38 year old playing centre mid and a 39 year old playing centre half.

HUTCHYHIBBY
10-09-2009, 08:25 AM

Do you really need the attention so much you felt the need to post this? :rolleyes:

Even although I firmly believe its a wind up, theres nae need.

Betty Boop
10-09-2009, 08:26 AM
DBS - you're nearly as bad as Macar who starts Scotland threads on the Sunderland RTG boards.

And you want to see some of the replies he gets on there, certainly not as nice as the hibs.netters!! :greengrin

He has just been on the Five Live phone-in, apparently he is an honorary Scot and he was at Hampden last night. :greengrin

stu in nottingham
10-09-2009, 08:47 AM

Even more transparent than usual! :wink:

Mag7
10-09-2009, 08:48 AM
I think this time round England look the part. The manager has hit the ground running and turned them into an impressive unit.

Time to reconsider re Team GB? Probably the only way Scotland, Wales and perhaps N Ireland will play any part in a major championship again, even if we're unlikely to have too many players involved initially. As I've said before, though, a UK League would help in that respect.

Dashing Bob S
10-09-2009, 08:51 AM
I always try and imagine what Hibs net user are like in real life. At the moment I've got you down as the type of bloke who regularly gets a slapping in his local. :greengrin

And I never imagined you as a keyboard hardman.

Until now.

Dashing Bob S
10-09-2009, 08:55 AM
Well, that was a fish-in-barrell exercise. Enjoy the England euphoria as it just makes their inevitable failure all the sweeter. Yes, Cappello is a good manager, but key players like Lampard and Gerrard will have had a hard season and be into veteran status age-wise by the time they hit the blistering heat of SA.

Their inability to hold the ball will tell against quality sides in the knock-out. Unless a couple of brilliant new young talents emerge during the course of the season, it's quarter-finals at best, I think.

--------
10-09-2009, 09:16 AM
And how did the cricket go old chap?

In the games that mattered, England won the series. And the Ashes.

ODIs are nothing like as important as Test Matches. :wink:

So Bob's at the wind-up again. So what?

The fact is that Scotland were drawn in a qualifying section where second place was well within our grasp. We should be able to beat Norway, Macedonia and Georgia at Hampden any time, and at least draw away from home with them. And a home draw with the Netherlands (which was the least we should have had last night) would have meant 13 points and a place in the play-offs no problem.

The SFA screwed up - again. The squad lacked discipline - again. Team selections were mystifying - again. The manager was a diddy - again.

But what will happen is that Burley will leave - by mutual consent, most likely. We all wring our hands and gnash our teeth for a bit, then another qualifying comes along, nothing essential has changed, but Hampden will be filled, the suits will get their trips abroad, the snouts will be in the trough, and the dance will go on.

What's the betting Burley leaves and Butcher gets the job? :devil:

stu in nottingham
10-09-2009, 09:20 AM

You're not cheering me up here Doddie!

therealgavmac
10-09-2009, 09:24 AM
In the games that mattered, England won the series. And the Ashes.

ODIs are nothing like as important as Test Matches. :wink:

So Bob's at the wind-up again. So what?

The fact is that Scotland were drawn in a qualifying section where second place was well within our grasp. We should be able to beat Norway, Macedonia and Georgia at Hampden any time, and at least draw away from home with them. And a home draw with the Netherlands (which was the least we should have had last night) would have meant 13 points and a place in the play-offs no problem.

The SFA screwed up - again. The squad lacked discipline - again. Team selections were mystifying - again. The manager was a diddy - again.

But what will happen is that Burley will leave - by mutual consent, most likely. We all wring our hands and gnash our teeth for a bit, then another qualifying comes along, nothing essential has changed, but Hampden will be filled, the suits will get their trips abroad, the snouts will be in the trough, and the dance will go on.

:top marks

--------
10-09-2009, 09:35 AM
You're not cheering me up here Doddie!

Not cheerful myself this AM, Stu.

Bad enough that Scotland go out so ineptly.

Bad enough that we see the same problems (mostly of our own making) that have dogged the international team as long as I've followed football.

But now we're off on our England-hating rant again - which I admit I've participated in in the past - and nothing seems to change. We had folk on here last night pleased NI were losing to Slovakia, because 'that helped Scotland'.

If the SFA had been on the Titanic, and Captain Smith himself had led them to their own dedicated, personal lifeboat, they still wouldn't have had the sense to get in.

As long as the game in Scotland is organised for the benefit of two clubs only, and as long as people are prepared to turn up and fill Hampden Park regardless, we'll see no betterment.

And when our board adopt sensible business practices and look for long-term improvement in the team, stadium and training facilities, and seek to do this without bankrupting the club, they get pelters.

IMO, just for this morning, the freakin SFA and TA deserve Terry Butcher. :grr:

Big Frank
10-09-2009, 09:43 AM
England pay their manager £6,000,000 per year.

Thats £6,000,000 per year!

They are more professional than us, and dont accept mediocrity like we do.

They are a very good bet for this world cup. All it takes is for Spain or Brazil to have poor finals and they have a real chance.

Lets get behind team Britain in South Africa :agree: :duck::duck:

BarneyBreslin
10-09-2009, 09:43 AM

yawn

stu in nottingham
10-09-2009, 09:44 AM
Not cheerful myself this AM, Stu.

Bad enough that Scotland go out so ineptly.

Bad enough that we see the same problems (mostly of our own making) that have dogged the international team as long as I've followed football.

But now we're off on our England-hating rant again - which I admit I've participated in in the past - and nothing seems to change. We had folk on here last night pleased NI were losing to Slovakia, because 'that helped Scotland'.

If the SFA had been on the Titanic, and Captain Smith himself had led them to their own dedicated, personal lifeboat, they still wouldn't have had the sense to get in.

As long as the game in Scotland is organised for the benefit of two clubs only, and as long as people are prepared to turn up and fill Hampden Park regardless, we'll see no betterment.

And when our board adopt sensible business practices and look for long-term improvement in the team, stadium and training facilities, and seek to do this without bankrupting the club, they get pelters.

IMO, just for this morning, the freakin SFA and TA deserve Terry Butcher. :grr:

I can't really add to this much as you've said it all. Regardless of Burley's qualities (?)The clamour for a new manager is missing the much deeper points you make. One man is not going to sort out this mess that begins at grass roots level.

Especially Terry Butcher... :jamboak:

Dashing Bob S
10-09-2009, 09:49 AM
England pay their manager £6,000,000 per year.

Thats £6,000,000 per year!

They are more professional than us, and dont accept mediocrity like we do.

They are a very good bet for this world cup. All it takes is for Spain or Brazil to have poor finals and they have a real chance.

Lets get behind team Britain in South Africa :agree: :duck::duck:

With you 100% Frank. As much as I'm ambivalent about Scotland and enjoy a wind-up with those deluded enough to get passionate about that foul set-up, I couldn't bear it if England had anything other than a brutally disappointing World Cup (which means anything other than winning it with the media in this country.)

I'll be apssionately supporting any team England play against.

Remember: they have to get lucky every time, we only need to once.

Gus
10-09-2009, 09:59 AM
I'm English & over the moon that we have qualified. We are looking alot more organised yes we are yet to be properly tested & granted the group wasn't hard but tbh I thought Scotland should of done alot better in the group they had.

I'm not wanting to start a seperate debate but i do get annoyed when people quote the size of a county's population. Clearly it gives you a larger pool of players, but take Northern Ireland, they have made great strides.

Anyway I was gutted about Scotland getting knocked out but i am looking forward to watching the world cup sharing a beer with some .netters next year telling them that England will win the world cup & then to be shot down when we get knocked out

stu in nottingham
10-09-2009, 10:02 AM
It's not all about size.

Netherlands population: 16,500,156*

*According to Wikipedia

--------
10-09-2009, 10:08 AM
I can't really add to this much as you've said it all. Regardless of Burley's qualities (?)The clamour for a new manager is missing the much deeper points you make. One man is not going to sort out this mess that begins at grass roots level.

Especially Terry Butcher... :jamboak:

The labyrinthine organisation of the game in Scotland; the constant re-appearance of morons like George Peat; the dominance of Rangers and Celtic and the way everything has to be decided for their benefit alone; the lack of investment; the almost total absence of youth academies in the senior leagues....

How many of our senior clubs have the facilities and willingness to bring on young players? Hibs do. St Mirren are looking to set up an academy. Who else?

How many of our senior clubs are genuinely financially solvent? Hibs. Celtic. St Johnstone? Who else?

Steve-O
10-09-2009, 10:09 AM
I'm English & over the moon that we have qualified. We are looking alot more organised yes we are yet to be properly tested & granted the group wasn't hard but tbh I thought Scotland should of done alot better in the group they had.

I'm not wanting to start a seperate debate but i do get annoyed when people quote the size of a county's population. Clearly it gives you a larger pool of players, but take Northern Ireland, they have made great strides.

Anyway I was gutted about Scotland getting knocked out but i am looking forward to watching the world cup sharing a beer with some .netters next year telling them that England will win the world cup & then to be shot down when we get knocked out

Come on, they have been absolutely pish up until about the last 4 years! :rolleyes:

--------
10-09-2009, 10:22 AM
Come on, they have been absolutely pish up until about the last 4 years! :rolleyes:

Worthington's been doing good things with them. I wouldn't bet on Scotland beating them right now. A decent manager backed by his FA. We should try it.

And I was pretty disgusted with those on this board who were glad that NI were beaten by Slovakia because "it's good for Scotland".

Just as i was disgusted with Craig Gordon's comment that no one would worry about a Scots player cheating if it got us to the finals. Joe Jordan cheated in 1977 at Anfield. look where tyhat got us. Freakin Argentina.

Gus
10-09-2009, 01:24 PM
ENGLAND v CROATIA is on ITV4 NOW :thumbsup:

Watch them qualify:wink:

Sas_The_Hibby
10-09-2009, 01:30 PM
Well, that was a fish-in-barrell exercise. Enjoy the England euphoria as it just makes their inevitable failure all the sweeter. Yes, Cappello is a good manager, but key players like Lampard and Gerrard will have had a hard season and be into veteran status age-wise by the time they hit the blistering heat of SA.

Their inability to hold the ball will tell against quality sides in the knock-out. Unless a couple of brilliant new young talents emerge during the course of the season, it's quarter-finals at best, I think.

Are you related, by any chance, to the jokers at the SFA who, allegedly, kitted Scotland out in thick warm football shirts, for the 1954 World Cup, because it was being played in Switzerland? (Unfortunately ignoring the fact that Central Europe can be rather hot in the summer).

The "blistering heat" you refer to averages, in June, 10° in Jo'burg, 17° in Durban, 15° in Port Elizabeth and 15° in Capetown. I think even 'old geezers' like Gerrard and Lampard can cope with that.

By the way it will be winter in South Africa.......

Dashing Bob S
10-09-2009, 03:04 PM
Are you related, by any chance, to the jokers at the SFA who, allegedly, kitted Scotland out in thick warm football shirts, for the 1954 World Cup, because it was being played in Switzerland? (Unfortunately ignoring the fact that Central Europe can be rather hot in the summer).

The "blistering heat" you refer to averages, in June, 10° in Jo'burg, 17° in Durban, 15° in Port Elizabeth and 15° in Capetown. I think even 'old geezers' like Gerrard and Lampard can cope with that.

By the way it will be winter in South Africa.......

Aaaghhh!!! You're right! Apologies, not got my head screwed on properly today.

Sas_The_Hibby
10-09-2009, 04:58 PM
Aaaghhh!!! You're right! Apologies, not got my head screwed on properly today.

Fair dos, DBS.

I do like the story (in a perverse sort of way) of Scotland's 1954 kit travails, however, but I'm not sure how true it is. Anyone else heard of this?