(((Fergus)))
09-09-2009, 10:05 PM
Special Exhibition Match
Wednesday, September 9, 2009
Turner’s Cross Stadium, Cork

CORK CITY…0
CELTIC…1
(McCourt 11)

CORK CITY (4-4-2) McNulty; Lordan, Long (Mulcahy 60), Murray, Murphy; O’Neill (Silagailis 66), O’Donnell, Gamble (Duggan 46), Waters (Dennehy 46); Kuduzovic (Cambridge 62), Deasy (O’Carroll 46)
Subs not used: Murphy, O’Halloran, Connor, Walsh, Turner

CELTIC (4-4-2) Cervi (Giordano 83); Wilson, D.Gallacher (Vallers 83), Thomson (Marr 46), Conroy; Mizuno (Santonocito 76), Crosas (Beuzelin 46), Robson, McCourt, Carey; McGowan (Kurakins 28)

mccourt magic gives celtic victory

David Friel
PADDY McCOURT’S stunning solo strike earned Celtic a narrow 1-0 win over Cork City in Ireland on Wednesday night. The Irish playmaker fired Neil Lennon’s Hoops ahead with a wonderful individual effort in the early stages of an entertaining friendly and that was enough to give Celtic the victory.

Managed by Lennon and Danny McGrain, Celtic controlled the first half and were well in control of the game at the break. However, Cork City rallied in the second period and will feel unlucky not have earned a draw after creating numerous chances.

Barry Robson made his first start for Celtic since February 1 as he stepped up his return from injury. The midfielder has yet to play under Tony Mowbray but captained the Hoops on the occasion and lasted the full 90 minutes. His return will be seen as a major boost for the first-team squad.

Fellow comeback Bhoy Mark Wilson, who emerged unscathed from his 75-minute run-out against Benfica last week, also played the whole match for Lennon’s side, while Marc Crosas, McCourt and Koki Mizuno were the other senior players on show. Played as part of a fund-raising exercise for Cork City, there was a healthy crowd inside Turner’s Cross Stadium to welcome the Hoops to Ireland – with hundreds of Bumble Bee strips visible around the ground.

Celtic, with Crosas and Robson anchoring the midfield, settled into a 4-2-3-1 formation, with Paul McGowan leading the line up front. McCourt was given a free role in behind the striker. It’s a position that suits the gifted Irishman perfectly and he showed exactly why in 11 minutes as he fired Celtic ahead with a wonder strike.

Taking a short corner from Graham Carey, McCourt ran at Cork full-back Cillian Lordan and jinked into space inside the box. There was still a lot of work to do, but McCourt lashed an unstoppable drive into the top corner from 15 yards.

Cork has been industrious prior to that opener and influential midfielder Joe Gamble was trying to get his side going, but Celtic were moving the ball around the pitch at pace and the Irish side were struggling to cope at times. The Hoops were dealt a blow in 28 minutes when Paul McGowan was forced to admit defeat in his battle to overcome a back injury he suffered in a heavy challenge.

Latvian full-back Anton Kurakins came on as Celtic reshaped their formation – with Ryan Conroy moving up to left-midfield and Carey switching to the right flank. Mizuno had a shot blocked at the edge of the box and Gamble slammed a drive wide of target as both sides looked for goals.

The Cork midfielder then tapped home from close range in 34 minutes but was correctly flagged offside. Robson, who was always in the thick of the action, saw a vicious free-kick tipped over by Mark McNulty in 39 minutes. From the resultant corner, McCourt volleyed wide under pressure from the Cork defence.

Seconds later, the Irishman blazed over after another mazy run. Just seconds before the break, Mizuno almost embarrassed Cork goalkeeper McNulty. The Japanese star’s shot was aimed straight at the Irish No.1 but he spilled the ball and grab it on the line. McCourt had the final effort of the half, but McNulty pulled off a terrific save this time.

Jason Marr, returning from injury, replaced Josh Thomson at the break and former Hibernian midfielder Guillaime Beuzelin, who has been training with Celtic for the last few weeks, was also given a run-out in place of Crosas.

Within seconds of the restart, Dan Murray, the Cork captain, almost pulled his side level – looping a header inches wide.

At the other end, Beuzelin was unlucky with a volley after a spot of keepy-uppy at the edge of the box. Yet, Cork were carrying a real threat and Cervi was called into action on more than a few occasions – with the American producing a fine save to thwart Shane Duggan in 60 minutes.

McCourt had been quiet in the first 15 minutes of the second half but he burst to life with two mazy runs and shots – one was saved by McNulty and the other crashed into the side-netting.

Cork had the ball in the net in 66 minutes but once again the offside flag halted the celebrations. Billy Dennehy was the man deemed to be offside on this occasion.

****ars Siligailis was the next Cork player to have a go when he ghosted in at the back post and nodded over the bar from close range as the Irish side enjoyed some pressure.

Moments later, Siligailis spurned another glorious chance. Luca Santonocito, Krisjanis Vallers and Daniele Giordano were all brought on as late substitutes as Lennon utilised his entire squad and Celtic secured the win.

Judas Iscariot
09-09-2009, 10:09 PM
Erse..

Teamed up with renegade Mowbray..

How longs he been a free agent?

Sure Livi could sort him oot

Betty Boop
09-09-2009, 10:09 PM
:boo hoo:

Chuckie
09-09-2009, 10:11 PM
Poor mans Cregg.

Richard Scott
09-09-2009, 10:12 PM
Bugger :boo hoo:

Jonnyboy
09-09-2009, 10:12 PM
Was he playing as a trialist I wonder? If not he must surely have signed some sort of deal :dunno:

PC Stamp
09-09-2009, 10:17 PM
****ars Siligailis was the next Cork player to have a go when he ghosted in at the back post and nodded over the bar from close range as the Irish side enjoyed some pressure.

For anyone who's interested that should read G u n t ars Siligailis. :wink:

Betty Boop
09-09-2009, 10:17 PM
Was he playing as a trialist I wonder? If not he must surely have signed some sort of deal :dunno:

According to Kerrydale St he was playing as a guest. :dunno:

Jonnyboy
09-09-2009, 10:22 PM
According to Kerrydale St he was playing as a guest. :dunno:

Makes sense :agree:

I'm pretty sure all Mowbray has done is offer the guy training facilities so he's still a free agent

(((Fergus)))
09-09-2009, 10:31 PM
Makes sense :agree:

I'm pretty sure all Mowbray has done is offer the guy training facilities so he's still a free agent

Maybe just keeping him in the shop window as a favour

Hibby 2005
10-09-2009, 12:15 AM
Poor wee lamb, naebody wants him!

MountcastleHibs
10-09-2009, 12:18 AM
To me Beuzelin is in Hibs's past, and that's where he should stay :wink:

Don't get me wrong, he's a good player, but we have a nice balance of midfielders in our current team and I cannot see where Boozy could fit in should he come back.

At this point in time, I would rather have Cregg and McBride in the middle :thumbsup:

Jim44
10-09-2009, 01:21 AM
To me Beuzelin is in Hibs's past, and that's where he should stay :wink:

Don't get me wrong, he's a good player, but we have a nice balance of midfielders in our current team and I cannot see where Boozy could fit in should he come back.

At this point in time, I would rather have Cregg and McBride in the middle :thumbsup:

With him playing for them last night the writing is probably on the wall as far as who he will sign for. I think Mowbray will sign him on a very low salary by Celtic standards but a lot more than we could offer. If that happens it will IMHO probably signal the end of his career in first team football till he signs for a lower division player next year.

CRAZYHIBBY
10-09-2009, 06:08 AM
i posted weeks ago that he will be signing for celtic on a one year deal with the option of a further year....mowbray wants to see him fully fit before he offers anything. One fact is he wont be signing for us nor did he ever intend to

J-C
10-09-2009, 06:14 AM
I wish people would just give up on Boozy, he's had his day and wouldn't bring anything special to the table for us. IIRC his form was decidedly average before he left and was getting very injury prone, we need to look forward not back.

MB62
10-09-2009, 07:17 AM
i posted weeks ago that he will be signing for celtic on a one year deal with the option of a further year....mowbray wants to see him fully fit before he offers anything. One fact is he wont be signing for us nor did he ever intend to

And how exactly do you know this is fact ?
I assume you have spoken to the man then?

GlesgaeHibby
10-09-2009, 07:31 AM

Utter garbage.

RIP
10-09-2009, 08:08 AM
Cregg + McBride = poor man's Beuzelin :devil:

hibsbollah
10-09-2009, 08:16 AM
nor did he ever intend to

Not the case.

NORTHERNHIBBY
10-09-2009, 09:06 AM
Isn't it fairly clear that he is angling for a deal at Darkheed and that if he does sign for us it is because they don't want him and we are second best? That's maybe the reality but it doesn't really sit well with me.

Andy74
10-09-2009, 09:10 AM
Isn't it fairly clear that he is angling for a deal at Darkheed and that if he does sign for us it is because they don't want him and we are second best? That's maybe the reality but it doesn't really sit well with me.

Why? Every player who signs for us only does so because they haven't been able to get a better team. Even the Hibbies!

hibsdaft
10-09-2009, 09:58 AM
the unexpected sale of Donati may have changed the situation imo

blackpoolhibs
10-09-2009, 10:03 AM
I think yogi is setting his targets a little higher than Boozy if the rumours about Miller are true.

Toaods
10-09-2009, 12:08 PM
Perhaps Boozy intends signing for us but Uncle Tony is making it look good for a Hibs swoop when the unwashed don't take up the option.

Good test to see if Yogi is wise enough to make sure Hibs come out best there....by making a lesser offer than we already have(if the rumours are to be believed). - I only want whats best for Hibs at a proce that suits Hibs. We're not here to line ageing players pockets.:cool2: