PDA

View Full Version : Lest anyone tries to claim that was another 'glorious failure' by Scotland...

Mag7
09-09-2009, 09:35 PM
...it should be made clear here and now that there was nothing glorious about it. It was a failure pure and simple. Second place was there for the taking but Scotland were garbage in all but a couple of the games. In typical fashion though, the fighting final performance will probably garner some 'braveheart' headlines tomorrow despite the dismal campaign overall. Burley GTF.

Alicky Ranks
10-09-2009, 09:15 AM
As predicted, plenty "glorious failure" guff doing the rounds this morning.

bobbyhibs1983
10-09-2009, 10:30 AM
bottom line we messed up 2 wins from 10 and 1 draw?
4goals scored from 10 games?

how can anyone think any teams deserves a world cup spot with these facts well ...

blackpoolhibs
10-09-2009, 10:34 AM
bottom line we messed up 2 wins from 10 and 1 draw?
4goals scored from 10 games?

how can anyone think any teams deserves a world cup spot with these facts well ...

3 wins, 2 against iceland, the other against sainsburys.

JimBHibees
10-09-2009, 10:54 AM
...it should be made clear here and now that there was nothing glorious about it. It was a failure pure and simple. Second place was there for the taking but Scotland were garbage in all but a couple of the games. In typical fashion though, the fighting final performance will probably garner some 'braveheart' headlines tomorrow despite the dismal campaign overall. Burley GTF.

Give it a rest. Happy we lost no doubt. :bitchy:

sambajustice
10-09-2009, 11:10 AM
I need somewhere to vent some anger at Kenny Miller!!!

Can someone explain to me why exactly he's not getting slated in the papers??? he's a scandalous waste of a football shirt! He's paid thousands every week to stick the ball in the net and he cant do it!

He just shouldnt feature for Scotland again, ever!

this 4-5-1 we play also has to be ditched!!!

Woody1985
10-09-2009, 11:44 AM

Can someone explain to me why exactly he's not getting slated in the papers??? he's a scandalous waste of a football shirt! He's paid thousands every week to stick the ball in the net and he cant do it!

If you knew anything about football you would appreciate that KMs running and pressure on the defence allowed us to push them up the field in the first half.

Without taking them up the pitch we would not have got the space to play in the middle of the park to allow us to create a few chances.

Admittedly he couldny finish his dinner. It's catch 22 for me, if he doesn't play we might not have made the half chances, if he does and he's on the end of them it's *****.

I'd always hated him for ****ing up a chance at the end of the 1 nil game against Holland in the playoff. He was basically one on one but ran the ball wide and made an arse of it in about the 85th minute. 2-0 going over there would have had a much bigger difference that going over with a 1 nil advantage which they knew was nothing.

sambajustice
10-09-2009, 12:01 PM
If you knew anything about football you would appreciate that KMs running and pressure on the defence allowed us to push them up the field in the first half.

This will be the pressure that saw us sitting in our own half for fair spells of the first half?

Scott Brown runs around a lot, he doesn't play up front! If Miller is so good at it he should be playing in the midfield!

He can't score goals, he's useless. When you're only getting 1 or 2 good chances in very hard matches you need players who can take them! Miller cant! 10 league goals last year, Scored 2 twice, against Hibs and Celtic, therefore he scored 6 goals in 36 league games (or however many he played in) not exactly prolific!

Danny_Hibee
10-09-2009, 12:37 PM
He can't score goals, he's useless. When you're only getting 1 or 2 good chances in very hard matches you need players who can take them! Miller cant! 10 league goals last year, Scored 2 twice, against Hibs and Celtic, therefore he scored 6 goals in 36 league games (or however many he played in) not exactly prolific!

The first part is true, he isnt a great finisher but he definitely isnt useless. He was one of our best players last night and was vital to how well we played. Also, by my count, we had at least 4 or 5 good chances last night.

dangermouse
10-09-2009, 01:22 PM

After the press slating Ilewomo (sp) what happened to the headlines

WEIR OUT

jacomo
10-09-2009, 02:11 PM
Bottom line is, this was not a "difficult group" as Burley put it. It was the best chance we've had in ages and we should be in the play-offs.

Burley can go on about passion and commitment all he likes, but his team failed to get the job done on too many occasions.

I like the fact that he has tried to evolve the way Scotland plays, and I'd like him to succeed. But he hasn't seemed in control of the job since day one.

Woody1985
10-09-2009, 03:45 PM
This will be the pressure that saw us sitting in our own half for fair spells of the first half?

Scott Brown runs around a lot, he doesn't play up front! If Miller is so good at it he should be playing in the midfield!

And who were giving us an out ball every time. Miller and Naismith. Naismith was winning the knock ons to Miller. If he wasn't pushing us up we wouldn't have been hitting the forward positions.

We wouldn't have hit the bar. We wouldn't have had a glaring miss to miss becauase no one else would have been following up.

As I say, he's not my favourite player but it's catch 22. There's not another Scottish forward that could have lead the line as well as he did last night. If there is, I'd like to see him.

Phil D. Rolls
10-09-2009, 04:06 PM
thwt ws anuthhhaaaa glyrious falurt b scoattttlann'.

Buggered if I can type it, let alone say it.

Horse
10-09-2009, 08:07 PM
I don't really believe in this Glorious failure crap - failure is failure as we still remind the Jambos about that wee incident in 1986! Scotland failing to qualify for a major tournament is a failure, simple as that. Failing to qualify from the first stages of a major tournament is also a failure but for Scotland we could at least be proud of the achievement of reaching a major tournament.

As for this world cup qualifying campaign, Scotland have simply not been good enough to qualify from a group that shouldn't have been too difficult for us to qualify from. Sad state of affairs that show no sign of improving in the near future! The SFA is a shambles from top to bottom.