PDA

View Full Version : Burley breaks SFA alcohol ban - Steven Naismith to start!!!

Steve-O
09-09-2009, 08:16 AM
http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/2628054/Steven-Naismith-to-start-in-crucial-Scotland-qualifier.html

WTF?! :bitchy::bye:

thekaratekid
09-09-2009, 08:19 AM
He must have some sanity left.....................................

Caldwell's no starting :greengrin

Steve-O
09-09-2009, 08:23 AM
He must have some sanity left.....................................

Caldwell's no starting :greengrin

And Alexander too is emptied.

Well, I guess booze can provide SOME clarity on occasion :greengrin

Naismith decision was obviously made towards the end of the night though! :rolleyes:

oneone73
09-09-2009, 08:42 AM
We weren't so down on Naismith when we thought we were bidding for him! FWIW, I think he is a better option out wide than Fletcher would have been ... for one thing, he'll be able to turn onto his right foot.
Fletch and Garry O to come on and lead a cavalry charge if it's required.

Sylar
09-09-2009, 08:44 AM
4-5-1, at home, when Scotland need a win???? My only surprise, is that I was originally surprised reading it.

Line up as such then (based on The Sun's story):

Gordon

Hutton
McManus
Weir
Whittaker

Maloney
Brown
Fletcher
Hartley
Naismith

Pinball

My prediction with that lineup - Scotland 0-4 Holland :agree:

Hainan Hibs
09-09-2009, 08:47 AM
Miller showed how effected he is as the one up front the last time we played The Netherlands, 0-0, he goes clean through, takes 200 toucheds and fannies it up. We then go on to get humped 3-0. Why is he upfront? If he didn't play for Rangers he would be nowhere near the team.

Glad Alexander is out for Hartley, the right decision for me.

J-C
09-09-2009, 09:10 AM
4-5-1, at home, when Scotland need a win???? My only surprise, is that I was originally surprised reading it.

Line up as such then (based on The Sun's story):

Gordon

Hutton
McManus
Weir
Whittaker

Maloney
Brown
Fletcher
Hartley
Naismith

Pinball

My prediction with that lineup - Scotland 0-4 Holland :agree:

I can't see where any goals are coming from, not one out and out goalscorer in the team, specially when we need goals.

H18sry
09-09-2009, 09:21 AM
4-5-1 OR 4-3-3 depending if you are attacking or defending and the team has goals in it, all the midfielders are capable of scoring as is Whitty, We are playing one of the top 6 rated teams in the world so we have to be cautious, remember, we have beaten the Dutch at home already, when nobody gave us a chance, and whilst the French team we beat home and away, were no mug's either.

COME ON SCOTLAND MOST OF THE NATION IS BEHIND YOU

:saltireflag:saltireflag:saltireflag:saltireflag

Judas Iscariot
09-09-2009, 09:29 AM
:faf:

Laughable once more from the Yam jake :bye:

Ritchie
09-09-2009, 09:33 AM
to be honest, i think thats the best team we could put out tonight..... only thing id do is replace miller with O'connor.

basehibby
09-09-2009, 09:37 AM
"He (Naismith) has been preferred to Steven Fletcher in a 4-5-1 line-up to face the runaway group winners.
Shaun Maloney takes the place of banned James McFadden on the other flank as Scotland chase a famous win.
Steven Whittaker, who replaced crocked Callum Davidson in the 2-0 win over Macedonia, makes his first start.
And Paul Hartley has got the nod ahead of 37-year-old Graham Alexander in the midfield holding role. "

These are decisions I actually agree with for once - 4-5-1 is the right formation to start with against the Dutch (bearing in mind that Naismith and Maloney provide attacking options from midfiled) Playing Whits and Hartley are also the right choices IMO.

blueisthecolour
09-09-2009, 09:43 AM
Having watched Naismith the last couple of months i am not one bit surprised he is in the squad, he has been fantastice since he came back from injury.

thedoc_l
09-09-2009, 09:47 AM
Best team he has picked so far. We need to play with width as we did in the 2nd half on Saturday. I would have played O'connor rather then Miller but thats my only complaint.

sunshine1875
09-09-2009, 09:48 AM
"He (Naismith) has been preferred to Steven Fletcher in a 4-5-1 line-up to face the runaway group winners.
Shaun Maloney takes the place of banned James McFadden on the other flank as Scotland chase a famous win.
Steven Whittaker, who replaced crocked Callum Davidson in the 2-0 win over Macedonia, makes his first start.
And Paul Hartley has got the nod ahead of 37-year-old Graham Alexander in the midfield holding role. "

These are decisions I actually agree with for once - 4-5-1 is the right formation to start with against the Dutch (bearing in mind that Naismith and Maloney provide attacking options from midfiled) Playing Whits and Hartley are also the right choices IMO.

:agree:

Today is not a game for O'Connor and Fletcher, both unproven at this level against the better teams. But with 30 mins to go, they are both good guys to bring on if we are still waiting for that all important goal.

Miller will run around a lot and may create space for the midfielders, who I would like to see taking more shots as Whitts tried on Saturday.

Also pleased to see no Caldwell - you could not drop Weir or McManus after Saturday.

Bring it on!

Judas Iscariot
09-09-2009, 09:50 AM

Today is not a game for O'Connor and Fletcher, both unproven at this level against the better teams. But with 30 mins to go, they are both good guys to bring on if we are still waiting for that all important goal.

Miller will run around a lot and may create space for the midfielders, who I would like to see taking more shots as Whitts tried on Saturday.

Also pleased to see no Caldwell - you could not drop Weir or McManus after Saturday.

Bring it on!

And Naismith is proven?

Big Frank
09-09-2009, 09:52 AM
Baloneymaloney:bitchy::bitchy::bitchy:

Garbage. Not kicked a ball since he returned to the smellies.

What hes done to merit a place is beyond me.

Burley is a joke.Crap manager.

sunshine1875
09-09-2009, 09:54 AM
And Naismith is proven?

Ok, point taken...but I was comparing the choice of Miller, O'Connor or Fletcher as the sole forward on a 4-5-1 line-up. The striker in this game is key for me. If he cannot retain possession and link well with the midfield, then we are stuffed.

Steve20
09-09-2009, 09:57 AM
I think Naismith is a good player, so i don't see what people are moaning about. Or is it because he is a Rangers player that is the problem?

blueisthecolour
09-09-2009, 09:58 AM
And Naismith is proven?

That is sunshine1875 opinion not mine, i believe if you are good enough you should be in the team.

Danderhall Hibs
09-09-2009, 10:13 AM

Bring it on!

Kenny Miller's unproven at this level as well and he's had rakes of chances to prove himself. Usually he just keeps running until the goalie takes the ball off him.

I'd rather play someone who could prove himself rather than someone who's proven he can't prove himself.

Littlest Hobo
09-09-2009, 10:15 AM
Delighted he stuck with Whitti on the left and with Hutton on the right, that might be our best chance of creating something? It's going to be backs to the wall but one goal is all it takes? You just never know? :thumbsup:

Craig_in_Prague
09-09-2009, 10:20 AM
Kenny Miller's unproven at this level as well and he's had rakes of chances to prove himself. Usually he just keeps running until the goalie takes the ball off him.

I'd rather play someone who could prove himself rather than someone who's proven he can't prove himself.

Well said !

Scotland don't create many chances, and against better teams, chances are limited. Yet, the chances we have created in the past have all been wasted by Miller :grr:

sambajustice
09-09-2009, 10:26 AM
Riordan would be a better bet at left midfield than Naismith! At least Deek has the abilty to get something out of nothing!!

blueisthecolour
09-09-2009, 10:46 AM
Riordan would be a better bet at left midfield than Naismith! At least Deek has the abilty to get something out of nothing!!
Even with his flu like bug:wink:

sambajustice
09-09-2009, 10:48 AM
Well said !

Scotland don't create many chances, and against better teams, chances are limited. Yet, the chances we have created in the past have all been wasted by Miller :grr:

Even when he plays for the best teams in the country and gets rakes of chances he doesnt score that many!

Infact, when was the last time Miller scored for Scotland? If someone says Croatia i'm going to hunt down Burley and do him a mischief!!!

David@EasterRoad
09-09-2009, 10:56 AM
O'Connor should be starting tonight but it's his own fault that he isn't. He has plenty more ability than Miller but he's wasted a few years messing around instead of knuckling down. I would play O'Connor in this game but it wouldn't be fair to Miller who always turns up and works his socks off and has earned the right to play.

Wide on the right of a 5 or a 3 is probably naismith's best position so i can understand his selection.

Dashing Bob S
09-09-2009, 10:58 AM
:faf:

Laughable once more from the Yam jake :bye:

:faf::faf::faf:

I predict Holland to win without breaking sweat.

blueisthecolour
09-09-2009, 11:01 AM
I know Miller misses lots of chances, it's usally the easy ones he misses and the hard ones he scores, but last season was there any scottish player apart from boyd who scored more goals?

Hibster
09-09-2009, 11:04 AM
Infact, when was the last time Miller scored for Scotland? If someone says Croatia i'm going to hunt down Burley and do him a mischief!!!

Think his last one was when he scored against Ukraine

Mon Dieu4
09-09-2009, 11:09 AM
I know Miller misses lots of chances, it's usally the easy ones he misses and the hard ones he scores, but last season was there any scottish player apart from boyd who scored more goals?

Riordan, Fletcher, Lee Miller & Clarkson all scored more in the league than Miller last season

GreenPJ
09-09-2009, 11:09 AM
to be honest, i think thats the best team we could put out tonight..... only thing id do is replace miller with O'connor.

:agree: O'Connor should have been in ahead of Miller but the rest am OK with although I might have even through Barr in there for McManus just for some speed at the back.

Billychaotic182
09-09-2009, 11:13 AM
This is how i would have went if he were keeping the 4-5-1

(GK) Gordon

(RB) Hutton
(CH) Weir
(CH) McManus
(LB) Whittaker

(DFM) Hartly

(RW) Miller
(CM) D.Fletcher
(CM) Scotbrown
(LW) Maloney

(ST) S.Fletcher

blueisthecolour
09-09-2009, 11:13 AM
Riordan, Fletcher, Lee Miller & Clarkson all scored more in the league than Miller last season
Cheers mate I hadn't checked.

hibs1875aye
09-09-2009, 11:18 AM
No way I'd have O'Connor or Fletcher starting. O'Connor blows hot and cold, especially for Scotland. Fletcher is a bottle merchant when it comes on top, proved that for us and we need all bottle, nerve and everything else spot on for tonight.

On balance, much as he DOES waste a lot of chances (he also takes players with him and tires folk out), I'd have Miller on.

I wouldnt have had Naismith in the team tho. :grr:

Richard Scott
09-09-2009, 11:19 AM
Good luck tonight fellas, I have a feeling you'll be needing much of it :wink::duck:

millarco
At first it seemed a strange one but looking at the squad it's probably the best selection. Maloney and Naismith have both started the season well, and will provide an attacking threat as well as tracking back.

I would probably have played O'Connor instead of Miller, but as someone said he's maybe not earned it with his previous misdemeanours at international level. Miller will work his socks off, and has more pace about him. Hartley is excellent at finding the space behind the defence, can only hope that Miller will be able to finish them off this time.

I thought Caldwell might have come into midfield, but the risk of giving away cheap free-kicks may be too much. For those disputing the selection who would you have chosen instead?

hibs1875aye
Cheers mate I hadn't checked.

And now you have, does it change your opinion?

Or are we concluding based on goals scored all the above players are a better shout? :agree:

Had he not been with flu, Riordan should have been in this team. He's one of the few players (Scottish) who can make something out of nothing. Just like McFadden, he may do precious little else at times but he CAN make something out of nothing. Unlike Boyd who can make a mince pie out of anything :agree:

jacomo
09-09-2009, 11:22 AM

Or Steven Fletcher. But maybe this is the best starting line-up, with Fletcher coming on for either Maloney, Naismith or Miller in the 2nd half, depending on how things are progressing.

It's better than the starting line-up against Macedonia anyhow, with Whittaker and Hartley in there.

BUT... with Whittaker at right back, there is no natural left-footer on the left. We might be VERY narrow.

blueisthecolour
09-09-2009, 11:27 AM
Riorden-12 goals
Fletcher-11 goals
Miller- 10 goals
Clarkson- 14 goals

kenny miller - 15 goals

If im not mistaken kenny miller scored more than those you mentioned, unless i missed goals from somewhere.

allyhibee
09-09-2009, 11:28 AM

100% Agree, he had a bit of a good spell when he scored against Italy then against Norway but that was years ago now! He has had his chance and we should be giving someone else that place now.

sadtom
09-09-2009, 11:35 AM

I heard one of your fellow sticky buns on real radio (IIRC) a few months ago making the most accurate of observations regarding K Miller
"If he kicked a ball out a plane he'd miss the earth!"

Naismith has played a handfull of games since being out injured, out of form and generally out of the picture at the death star for a while.
Straight into the scotland team. This belief that being an old firm player somehow makes you a better player is getting beyond a joke.
Look at the examples of John Collins or Scott Brown. Were excellent for two years at Hibs and can barely get near the squad. Go to the old squirm take at least a season to get back to the level they had previously shown (not surpassing it by any means) but become established ever presents whilst playing no where near what they had shown before.
Only in Scotland! Driven by the bullsheet weedgie press.

Dinkydoo
09-09-2009, 11:36 AM
That looks a pretty decent line up although I still think I'll be having to watch tonights game through the cracks of my fingers :bitchy:

hibs1875aye
09-09-2009, 11:39 AM
I heard one of your fellow sticky buns on real radio (IIRC) a few months ago making the most accurate of observations regarding K Miller

Naismith has played a handfull of games since being out injured, out of form and generally out of the picture at the death star for a while.
Straight into the scotland team. This belief that being an old firm player somehow makes you a better player is getting beyond a joke.
Look at the examples of John Collins or Scott Brown. Were excellent for two years at Hibs and can barely get near the squad. Go to the old squirm take at least a season to get back to the level they had previously shown (not surpassing it by any means) but become established ever presents whilst playing no where near what they had shown before.

John Collins did score a penalty against Brazil though. And he called hearts a pub team, amoungst other amusing things he done. He was agood lad was oor Johnny (he won us a cup as well :thumbsup:)

hibsbollah
09-09-2009, 11:41 AM

:agree: Agree 100%. On balance a better team than i expected him to put out.

McSwanky
09-09-2009, 11:45 AM
Why oh why has nobody mentioned this (http://www.swanseacity.net/page/ProfilesDetail/0,,10354~7201,00.html) man yet?

Scotland could have a team of world beaters if the management just learned to think outside the box a bit.

iwasthere1972
09-09-2009, 11:46 AM

Bring it on!

At least we now have a chance. If Craig Gordon doesn't play then no chance.

Pretty happy with the line up. I would settle for 0-0 going into the last 30 minutes and then give it our all. Whittaker to score. :agree:

C'mon Scotland.

Mon Dieu4
Riorden-12 goals
Fletcher-11 goals
Miller- 10 goals
Clarkson- 14 goals

kenny miller - 15 goals

If im not mistaken kenny miller scored more than those you mentioned, unless i missed goals from somewhere.

I said League goals mate

Kris Boyd 27
Scott McDonald 16
Georgios Samaras 15
David Clarkson 13
Steven Fletcher 12
Derek Riordan 12
Lee Miller 11
Francisco Sandaza 10
John Sutton 10
Kenny Miller 10

Given the fact they are playing the same teams over the same period of time it gives a better indication than the other goals Miller scored against what was no doubt lower league opposition in the cups

blueisthecolour

The first thing you need to do is stop listening to that rubbish, it's funny no matter the subject I have never heard rough and cameron agree, it's a case of good cop bad cop to try stir things up not give there real views.

blueisthecolour
09-09-2009, 11:49 AM
I said League goals mate

Kris Boyd 27
Scott McDonald 16
Georgios Samaras 15
David Clarkson 13
Steven Fletcher 12
Derek Riordan 12
Lee Miller 11
Francisco Sandaza 10
John Sutton 10
Kenny Miller 10

Given the fact they are playing the same teams over the same period of time it gives a better indication than the other goals Miller scored against what was no doubt lower league opposition in the cups

Thats fair enough, but what i will say is he had about half the assists for boyds goals, just a pity he's not got someone like boyd next to him.

Leith Green
09-09-2009, 11:50 AM
This is how i would have went if he were keeping the 4-5-1

(GK) Gordon

(RB) Hutton
(CH) Weir
(CH) McManus
(LB) Whittaker

(DFM) Hartly

(RW) Miller
(CM) D.Fletcher
(CM) Scotbrown
(LW) Maloney

(ST) S.Fletcher

Thank god your not the national manager!! :greengrin

Mon Dieu4
09-09-2009, 11:55 AM
Thats fair enough, but what i will say is he had about half the assists for boyds goals, just a pity he's not got someone like boyd next to him.

And Colin Nish set up half of Fletchers goals, maybe he should have got a call up :wink:

blueisthecolour
09-09-2009, 12:10 PM
And Colin Nish set up half of Fletchers goals, maybe he should have got a call up :wink:
look how many boyd scored though:wink:

silverhibee
09-09-2009, 12:18 PM

How many goals did KM get last season.

blueisthecolour
09-09-2009, 12:34 PM
How many goals did KM get last season.

15 in all competitions, aqs said before some scottish players scored more in the leauge but not in all comps.

crewetollhibee
09-09-2009, 01:04 PM
When did we start leaking the team news 8 hours or so before the game ? This has been a recurring theme recently and I was wondering if we would'nt be better be off playing our cards a little closer to our chest. Gives Holland a lot of time to wise up on Naismith. Who would have quoted him yesterday ???

Hainan Hibs
09-09-2009, 01:07 PM
When did we start leaking the team news 8 hours or so before the game ? This has been a recurring theme recently and I was wondering if we would'nt be better be off playing our cards a little closer to our chest. Gives Holland a lot of time to wise up on
Naismith.

I was thinking the same thing, can't see any advantages to it?

libernian
09-09-2009, 01:33 PM

well i'd rather it was that way than what burley usually does and gets some gash championship player like commons, davidson etc.

sadtom
09-09-2009, 03:22 PM
well i'd rather it was that way than what burley usually does and gets some gash championship player like commons, davidson etc.

You can rather it that way if you want.
I'd rather the players who are playing well get picked, no matter who they play for and not by association and certainly not just cause the weedgie press decides.

blueisthecolour
10-09-2009, 03:52 PM
So after Naismiths performance last night do you think he played well enough to merit his start?

I do.

Danderhall Hibs
10-09-2009, 03:53 PM
So after Naismiths performance last night do you think he played well enough to merit his start?

I do.

He played well enough last night to justify his place. He might even break into the Rangers team now.

Kenny Miller on the other hand...

frazeHFC
10-09-2009, 04:17 PM
So much for "WTF, Naismith playing", he was my motm last night :agree:

Beefster
10-09-2009, 04:36 PM

I do.

Indeed he did. I thought he was one of our best players. Maloney was pish though.

blueisthecolour
10-09-2009, 06:50 PM
He played well enough last night to justify his place. He might even break into the Rangers team now.

Kenny Miller on the other hand...

I don't think his play was that bad, although he should have scored, it was still a great save.

Brown i though had a poor game.

Flecture I though should he is a good player although he doesn't alway show it, it seem to be the better the opposition the better he plays.

The reason i have mentioned these players is because all the debate over the week has mosty been about these players and not because Brown plays for celtic.

Danderhall Hibs
10-09-2009, 06:57 PM
I don't think his play was that bad, although he should have scored, it was still a great save.

Brown i though had a poor game.

Flecture I though should he is a good player although he doesn't alway show it, it seem to be the better the opposition the better he plays.

The reason i have mentioned these players is because all the debate over the week has mosty been about these players and not because Brown plays for celtic.

Brown was poor last night. I agree about Fletcher as well - I think it's cos he has to graft against the good teams whereas against the pish teams he doesn't.

I thought Marshall had a good game as well - it seemed his selection was a bit more controversial than Naismith's before the game.

But as for Miller - what use is a striker that can't score goals?

blueisthecolour
10-09-2009, 09:23 PM
Brown was poor last night. I agree about Fletcher as well - I think it's cos he has to graft against the good teams whereas against the pish teams he doesn't.

I thought Marshall had a good game as well - it seemed his selection was a bit more controversial than Naismith's before the game.

But as for Miller - what use is a striker that can't score goals?

I don't think it was more controersial, he only played because of gordon being injured, but he did deserve a mention, im not a fan of his but he had a great game last night.

Onceinawhile
10-09-2009, 09:28 PM
I was highly sceptical of Naismith playing before hand, however, he played well and was very good in the air against Van. Bronckhorst

Miller, had a good game, but just couldn't score which unfortunately is fairly important in strikers terms.