PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland v South Africa

jgl07
08-09-2009, 09:37 PM
I was in a restaurant in Cape Town and saw that Ireland v South Africa was being screened.

I noticed that Anthony Stokes was on the bench for Ireland, although he didn't make an appearance in the Republic's 1-0 win over the next World Cup hosts.

Is there any background to that?

Dalianwanda
08-09-2009, 09:42 PM
I was in a restaurant in Cape Town and saw that Ireland v South Africa was being screened.

I noticed that Anthony Stokes was on the bench for Ireland, although he didn't make an appearance in the Republic's 1-0 win over the next World Cup hosts.

Heres the team here according to RTE website

Ireland: Westwood, Kelly, McShane, St Ledger, Nolan, Lawrence, Gibson, Andrews, Keogh, Folan, Doyle (capt).
Replacements: Murphy, Duff, Miller, Best, McCarthy, Long,
Whelan, O'Dea.

No Stokes

jgl07
08-09-2009, 09:47 PM
Heres the team here according to RTE website

Ireland: Westwood, Kelly, McShane, St Ledger, Nolan, Lawrence, Gibson, Andrews, Keogh, Folan, Doyle (capt).
Replacements: Murphy, Duff, Miller, Best, McCarthy, Long,
Whelan, O'Dea.

No Stokes
South African Broadcasting Corporation must have got it wrong because his name definately appeared on the screen as a substitute?

mayo hibee
08-09-2009, 10:20 PM
Stokes is not in the Irish squad at the moment. Trapattoni's been very consistent with his squads and its as hard to play you way out of the squad as it is to play your way in (for example Liam Miller who still hasn't got a club this season remains in the squad but Chris McCann and Andy Reid who are a Premier League CMs can't get a look in).

I can't imagine he would spend to much time following the Irish lads at Hibs, so I wouldn't expect Stokes or Stack to get a look in any time soon.

Monts
08-09-2009, 10:21 PM
Stokes is not in the Irish squad at the moment. Trapattoni's been very consistent with his squads and its as hard to play you way out of the squad as it is to play your way in (for example Liam Miller who still hasn't got a club this season remains in the squad but Chris McCann and Andy Reid who are a Premier League CMs can't get a look in).

I can't imagine he would spend to much time following the Irish lads at Hibs, so I wouldn't expect Stokes or Stack to get a look in any time soon.
I thought stack was english? :confused:

Sir David Gray
08-09-2009, 10:25 PM

He was born in England but he played for the ROI U-21 side.

Don't know what makes him eligible to play for them, though.

mayo hibee
08-09-2009, 10:25 PM

He's as English as Daniel Fox...or as Scottish as Aiden McGeady :wink:

blueisthecolour
08-09-2009, 10:26 PM
Im sure he's irish. well he was down as irish on a squad site.

blueisthecolour
08-09-2009, 10:33 PM

Tonight's team news

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/static/ver1/images/headers/hdr_teamlineups.gif

Rep of IrelandRatingPlayer rating out of tenPlayer nameSubstitutionDid they score?Player's disciplinary recordRating1Keiren Westwood2Stephen Kelly5Paul McShane4Sean St. Ledger3Eddie Nolan11Andrew Keogh6Darron Gibson8Keith Andrews7Liam Lawrencehttp://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/static/ver1/images/icons/goal.jpg 10Caleb Folan9Kevin DoyleSubstitutes16Joe Murphy12Damien Duff13Liam Miller14Leon Best15Paddy McCarthy17Shane Long18Glenn Whelan19Darren O'DeaSouth AfricaRatingPlayer rating out of tenPlayer nameDid they score?Player's disciplinary recordSubstitutionRating1Rowen Fernandez2Siboniso Gaxa4Aaron Mokoenahttp://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/static/ver1/images/icons/card_yellow.jpg 23Morgan Gould3Tsepo Masilela11Elrio Van Heerden5Benson Mhlongo13Kagisho Dikgacoi10Steven Pienaarhttp://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/static/ver1/images/icons/card_yellow.jpg 9Katlego Mphela17Bernard ParkerSubstitutes22Bafana Baloyi6Clifford Ngobeni7Lance Davids8Siphiwe Tshabalala12Katlego Mashego14Bevan Fransman15Lucas Thwala18Siyabonga Nkosi19Richard Henyekane20Bongani Khumalo21Anele Ngcongca24Mabhudi Khenyeza

Lucius Apuleius
09-09-2009, 09:21 AM
Bafana bafana on a bad spell. Six losses in a row. Not looking good for them next year at all.