PDA

View Full Version : Ashamed to be Third

CentreLine
08-09-2009, 03:39 PM
This is a league table none of us should be happy to be featuring at the top of. It brings shame on the club and fans of the club

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/topstories/Hooligans-on-the-line-make.5626120.jp

H18sry
08-09-2009, 03:43 PM
This is a league table none of us should be happy to be featuring at the top of. It brings shame on the club and fans of the club

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/topstories/Hooligans-on-the-line-make.5626120.jp

Only if then fans are confirmed as Hibs fans and not folk out too give the club a bad name :agree: The report also contradicts it's self by stating the yamfuds had no arrests then showing on there table that they do :wink:

Big Frank
08-09-2009, 03:46 PM

Loadypash.

Nothing to do with Hibernian FC.

iwasthere1972
08-09-2009, 03:49 PM
Only if then fans are confirmed as Hibs fans and not folk out too give the club a bad name :agree: The report also contradicts it's self by stating the yamfuds had no arrests then showing on there table that they do :wink:

If I read it correctly what they were saying was that there were no "Hearts" incidents on the train. It then goes on to say that the 2 "Hearts" arrests were in the train station.

Although I don't condone racism and hooliganism etc, 5 arrests is hardly worth getting excited about especially when you consider how many travel on the trains throughout a season.

Antifa Hibs
08-09-2009, 03:50 PM
5 arrests out of 19 odd away days with 1000's of Hibbys using the rail services? Whoopee *** doo.

Where's the article congratulating the 1000's of Hibbys use the trains through the season? Or the Aberdeen fans? Or the tens of thousands of OF fans etc?

Fk the police and the media and their stupid hooligan league table.

iwasthere1972
08-09-2009, 03:57 PM
Come on now folks keep walking. There's nothing to see here. :greengrin

Antifa Hibs
08-09-2009, 03:58 PM
And is that the only pictorial evidence the eveningn news has? a punch up on lothian road in 2002?

load of bollocks.

iwasthere1972
08-09-2009, 04:03 PM
And is that the only pictorial evidence the eveningn news has? a punch up on lothian road in 2002?

load of bollocks.

:agree: Think I spotted Jack the Ripper in the background coming out the newsagents.

Talk about old news. Pash. :agree:

The_Todd
08-09-2009, 04:08 PM
Erm:

HIBS fans have been accused of singing racist chants, hurling abuse at rail staff and urinating in a train corridor as police reveal a league table of the worst behaved travelling supporters in Scotland

Followed by:

While the incidents involving Hibs fans were at the minor end of the scale, supporters of other teams have been involved in more serious hooligan-related violence while travelling to pre-season and early-season games

So are we bad, or are we not? The first quote makes us out to be the worst, followed by another quote which makes us out to be at the "good" end of the scale.

Sloppy and confused journalism or am I missing something?

Golden Bear
08-09-2009, 04:15 PM
Erm:

Followed by:

So are we bad, or are we not? The first quote makes us out to be the worst, followed by another quote which makes us out to be at the "good" end of the scale.

:agree:

I think the reporter has definite leanings towards the hawrts.

iwasthere1972
08-09-2009, 04:16 PM
So from what I can make out the tables would be

Arrests on trains
Rangers 22
Celtic 14
Hibs 5
Others 21 WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHO THEY ARE.

Arrests at Haymarket
Hearts 2

Arrests at Waverley Station
3 (Combination Hibs and Hearts)
1 Rangers
1 Falkirk

The_Todd
08-09-2009, 04:23 PM
So from what I can make out the tables would be

Arrests on trains
Rangers 22
Celtic 14
Hibs 5
Others 21 WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHO THEY ARE.

Arrests at Haymarket
Hearts 2

Arrests at Waverley Station
3 (Combination Hibs and Hearts)
1 Rangers
1 Falkirk

So Huns top the table. I wonder if they welcome the chase in that one too? :duck:

Woody1985
08-09-2009, 04:30 PM
I was looking at the EPL stats a week or so ago and there were around 1700 arrests IIRC. However, the number of fans who attended games was around 28 million, obviously if you go to 38 games then you're counted 38 times.

1700 arrests is pretty tame.

I also noticed that a much higher percentage of arrests took place during FA cup games compared with league games. Obviously different firms going for a day out.

I think those figures were for 2007/2008.

iwasthere1972
08-09-2009, 04:32 PM
So Huns top the table. I wonder if they welcome the chase in that one too? :duck:

All 22 cases were for pulling the emergency chain endangering the train and passengers.

The silly huns had read the warning above the chain informing passengers that pulling it would result in penalty. :wink:

Hanny
08-09-2009, 04:38 PM
Erm:

Followed by:

That really should be the Evening News' catchphrase.

They musy have run out of Tram/Wheeliebin/Prams on buses stories to make up.

A publication that almost makes the Daily Record seem a respectable newspaper.

Hanny
08-09-2009, 04:38 PM
All 22 cases were for pulling the emergency chain endangering the train and passengers.

The silly huns had read the warning above the chain informing passengers that pulling it would result in penalty. :wink:

:faf::faf::faf:

Dashing Bob S
08-09-2009, 05:08 PM
This so-called 'hooliganism' seems to be mainly jakeys on buckfast peeing on railway sidings or lurching through ticket barriers or singing unintelligable sectarian songs to the 'entertainment' of the travelling public. I certainly wouldn't lose much sleep over it.

maturehibby
08-09-2009, 05:19 PM
After seeing the behaviour of some of our so called fans at Bolton who infiltrated the "Real supporters" it does not surprise me - but as an ex Railwayman who worked in the waverley I saw more than my share of disturbances as they came back home after games and found that the so called Hearts fans were the worst that I encountered and as well as misbehaving on arrival back in Edinburgh they did the most damage to the trains en-route - and I am not saying this as a Hibs fan as we as previously stated we carry our "thugs" too

Antifa Hibs
08-09-2009, 05:40 PM
It's all *** bollocks!

Coppers trying to justify having hordes of them at the footy for some easy money and the coppers and media wanting to give the public a bad view of football fans.

I was once on a train from Glasgow after a gig and there was rucks on it. I was once on a train to London and four police dragged a stag party of at Newcastle. Where these incidents plastered over the papers and internet and drawn into some sort of pathetic table? where they buggery!

PaulSmith
08-09-2009, 05:44 PM
It's all *** bollocks!

Coppers trying to justify having hordes of them at the footy for some easy money and the coppers and media wanting to give the public a bad view of football fans.

I was once on a train from Glasgow after a gig and there was rucks on it. I was once on a train to London and four police dragged a stag party of at Newcastle. Where these incidents plastered over the papers and internet and drawn into some sort of pathetic table? where they buggery!

:top marks

CentreLine
08-09-2009, 05:58 PM
So I guess that nobody feels, as I do, that 5 arrests is 5 too many and people should be able to travel to and from a game, or around fans travelling to and from a game, in safety and free from harassment?

Ah well, each to their own.

The_Todd
08-09-2009, 06:01 PM
So I guess that nobody feels, as I do, that 5 arrests is 5 too many and people should be able to travel to and from a game, or around fans travelling to and from a game, in safety and free from harassment?

Of course it's 5 too many, but it's not as major as the giant fuss the Evening News has made it.

Woody1985
08-09-2009, 06:02 PM

It might be too many but if you use my above post regarding england as a comparison it is next to **** all. 1,700 / 28,000,000 = 0.00006% of fans who attended games.

Antifa Hibs
08-09-2009, 06:09 PM

ZZZZZZzzzzzzz

Big deal out of nothing. When yer a fitba fan you can get arrested for fk all, arrested for things that if you done elsewhere, you wouldn't. We don't even know what the arrests are for, you can be arrested for being peshed, arrested for shouting 'f*** off' etc etc. I hardly think the arrests will be for crimes of the century!

As soon as the words football + fan + police + arrests are mentioned in a sentence, everyone breaks out in hysterics, the media, the polis, the clubs, the gullable thick public etc. I was at Oasis at Murrayfield in June and I witnessed people pissing all over the place, bevvy get launched about in streets, masses of litter, idiots fighting amongst themselves etc etc and there wasn't a mention of anything in the papers on the news. I GURANTEE though that if those same scenes were wintessed at a football match and the gig goers were replaced by football fans, there would be a media outbreak!

All that article is, is police trying to give football supporters a bad name. Fact! It's a shame 'football supporters' on here are bying it, I thought everyone would see through it, obvisouly not.

Woody1985
08-09-2009, 06:30 PM
ZZZZZZzzzzzzz

Big deal out of nothing. When yer a fitba fan you can get arrested for fk all, arrested for things that if you done elsewhere, you wouldn't. We don't even know what the arrests are for, you can be arrested for being peshed, arrested for shouting 'f*** off' etc etc. I hardly think the arrests will be for crimes of the century!

As soon as the words football + fan + police + arrests are mentioned in a sentence, everyone breaks out in hysterics, the media, the polis, the clubs, the gullable thick public etc. I was at Oasis at Murrayfield in June and I witnessed people pissing all over the place, bevvy get launched about in streets, masses of litter, idiots fighting amongst themselves etc etc and there wasn't a mention of anything in the papers on the news. I GURANTEE though that if those same scenes were wintessed at a football match and the gig goers were replaced by football fans, there would be a media outbreak!

All that article is, is police trying to give football supporters a bad name. Fact! It's a shame 'football supporters' on here are bying it, I thought everyone would see through it, obvisouly not.

Wasn't on the news/papers? :LOL: Okay buddy, musn't have been the same gig I was at! Although I appreciate your point.

Also, how many arrests will be attributed to incidents in the vicinity of football fans? E.g the guy who's mate from down south was attacked with a pole for no reason. That will get attributed to the football when it was just a ned attacking a random guy in the street.

Not saying all Hibs fans are whiter than white, cos they're not, but 5 arrests FFS. They're obviously good at avoiding the police.

marinello59
08-09-2009, 06:37 PM
ZZZZZZzzzzzzz

I agree with you. Football fans are policed differently from other sections of society. Contrast our treatment with that of "high spirited" Rugger Buggers. Yes, hooliganism should be condemned but five arrests does not equal the rise of the casuals again. In fact the only thing I can see that has changed in the last few years is that police have been given even more power to police us differently from everybody else.

Mibbes Aye
08-09-2009, 06:42 PM
ZZZZZZzzzzzzz

I can understand where you're coming from.

Whether we like it or not though, football games have a potential for disorder, criminality and injury/loss of life that simply isn't replicated elsewhere. Of course it's magnified by the media but at the end of the day Oasis concerts (or whoever) haven't resulted in the kind of scenes we saw when Rangers visited Manchester, let alone a Hillsborough (regardless of who is to blame for that sorry day), or in the sorts of levels of disorder and arrests that are more frequent.

The vast majority of matches don't result in those outcomes either, but the potential is nevertheless there in a way that it's not in other kinds of event.

There's a real tension that's evident and has been for a good while now, around what is considered as within the norms at a football game. To some extent the debate on the East Stand partly captures it.
For better or for worse the game has moved on, massively, in the last twenty or so years. Not everyone has moved with it though, and some of the tensions arise from that IMO. At the same time I think some would credibly argue there does appear to be a perceptible risk of the game being sanitised to a level that destroys part of its appeal.

Not convinced, myself - I think the game evolves and will evolve to fit what we think we really want (although how much that's our own decision is another matter :greengrin)

Greenblood70
08-09-2009, 06:55 PM
The authorities in their many guises have made fortunes out of policing football long after the heyday of trouble was over in the early/mid 80s to early 90s period. I haven't seen any serious disorder at football for a long, long time.

The budget for policing football must be under review..anybody naive enough to believe hooiganism is on the increase compared to previous years is either a johnny come lately or is suffering from a chronic lack of common sense.

Simply the police trying to justify their inflated costs for policing football.

Not surprised to see the Evening News jumping on the story..their journalists seem incapable of looking behind the hysterical tabloid nonsense.

PeeKay
08-09-2009, 07:44 PM
I can understand where you're coming from.
Whether we like it or not though, football games have a potential for disorder, criminality and injury/loss of life that simply isn't replicated elsewhere.

Wasn't there a boy stabbed to death at T in the Park last year? Any event that gathers large numbers of people together will produce an evident increase in criminality.

I think this has everything to do with the fact that the police want to pass more of the match-day costs onto the clubs. And why emphasise Hibs fans? To justify why they already charge us more than they charge the Yams.

Dashing Bob S
08-09-2009, 08:31 PM
I'm ashamed to be third too, particularly in such shabby company. Hopefully we'll all pull our socks up and rise to the occassion this term, and claim that coveted number one slot.

Tricla
08-09-2009, 08:37 PM
5 arrests out of 19 odd away days with 1000's of Hibbys using the rail services? Whoopee *** doo.

Where's the article congratulating the 1000's of Hibbys use the trains through the season? Or the Aberdeen fans? Or the tens of thousands of OF fans etc?

Fk the police and the media and their stupid hooligan league table.

Hell yeah!

Sir David Gray
08-09-2009, 08:51 PM
I agree with you. Football fans are policed differently from other sections of society. Contrast our treatment with that of "high spirited" Rugger Buggers. Yes, hooliganism should be condemned but five arrests does not equal the rise of the casuals again. In fact the only thing I can see that has changed in the last few years is that police have been given even more power to police us differently from everybody else.

It is frustrating for football fans, who have no inclination to get involved in violence, to be treated like potential hooligans by the authorities.

But the typical rugby crowd is entirely different from the typical football crowd. Scotland and England fans can sit together at a 6 nations match with the match passing off without incident. But if that was to happen at the football equivalent, the local hospitals and police cells would be packed out.

I do agree that the article is extremely over the top, though.

matty_f
08-09-2009, 09:15 PM
ZZZZZZzzzzzzz

Actually agree with you on this one, football fans get treated like criminals by the police every week, IMHO.

marinello59
08-09-2009, 09:23 PM
It is frustrating for football fans, who have no inclination to get involved in violence, to be treated like potential hooligans by the authorities.

But the typical rugby crowd is entirely different from the typical football crowd. Scotland and England fans can sit together at a 6 nations match with the match passing off without incident. But if that was to happen at the football equivalent, the local hospitals and police cells would be packed out.

I do agree that the article is extremely over the top, though.

After a six month spell living in Twickenham and witnessing the aftermath on the train North following matches at Murrayfield I would strongly disagree with that.

Delboy*
08-09-2009, 09:38 PM
Utter bollox

The working class roots of football are torn to shreds.

Im not talikn about causing riots here, but, being a Hibs fan, i run the risk of getting arrested every other week by going for a good few pints attending the games, singing, chanting and having a laugh in the streets.
Ur treated like **** from a majority of the polis.

We dont all want to turn up for games stone cold sober, with our wooly gloves on so we cant even clap, sit there being offended by every shout from the stands n rush home to catch the x-factor.

My uncle got huckled at easter road for basically wearing his scarf on his head. ok we had about 5-6 pints and were havin a bit o banter, but no mr polis doesnt want us to have fun so they stuck him in the van until the game had finished. nice. n they want my respect??

frowned at for havin passion.

Monts
08-09-2009, 10:01 PM
Utter bollox

Im not talikn about causing riots here, but, being a Hibs fan, i run the risk of getting arrested every other week by going for a good few pints attending the games, singing, chanting and having a laugh in the streets.

We dont all want to turn up for games stone cold sober, with our wooly gloves on so we cant even clap, sit there being offended by every shout from the stands n rush home to catch the x-factor.

My uncle got huckled at easter road for basically wearing his scarf on his head. ok we had about 5-6 pints and were havin a bit o banter, but no mr polis doesnt want us to have fun so they stuck him in the van until the game had finished. nice. n they want my respect??

Theres absolutely no way thats what he got detained for...

People seem to think that the police are just out to make football fans miserable, but they arent. They also seem to think that because there isnt trouble like there used to be, that the police should just 'let things be', but surely there isnt trouble like there used to be, because of the measures taken by the police and clubs...not in spite of it.

People also seem to forget that just because you can get away with things at other times, doesnt make them legal....swearing in the street, for example.

Sir David Gray
08-09-2009, 10:13 PM
After a six month spell living in Twickenham and witnessing the aftermath on the train North following matches at Murrayfield I would strongly disagree with that.

I'm not saying there's not isolated incidents that occur every so often as there's usually a lot of drinking involved before and after those types of matches and some people won't be able to handle their drink and they will occasionally step out of line.

But, like I say, they are able to have Scotland and England fans sitting together at rugby internationals, without any problems. That would simply not be possible at a Scotland-England football match or at any football match for that matter, where the two sides had any sort of rivalry.

I've only ever been to a couple of rugby matches as I'm not really into it but it's always been my understanding that the atmosphere at a rugby match is entirely different from that seen at a football match.

If you have first hand experience of rugby fans that contradicts all of the above then that's fair enough as I can only go on my couple of trips to Murrayfield and what I have heard from other people who have been to Scotland rugby matches.

Utter bollox

I find it extremely hard to believe that he was ejected purely because of that, and that alone.

If that IS true, he should have made a written complaint to the Chief Constable of Lothian & Borders Police as the officer who threw him out should be disciplined.

Delboy*
08-09-2009, 10:37 PM
bernz
Theres absolutely no way thats what he got detained for...

People seem to think that the police are just out to make football fans miserable, but they arent. They also seem to think that because there isnt trouble like there used to be, that the police should just 'let things be', but surely there isnt trouble like there used to be, because of the measures taken by the police and clubs...not in spite of it.

People also seem to forget that just because you can get away with things at other times, doesnt make them legal....swearing in the street, for example.

I find it extremely hard to believe that he was ejected purely because of that, and that alone.

If that IS true, he should have made a written complaint to the Chief Constable of Lothian & Borders Police as the officer who threw him out should be disciplined.[/QUOTE]

Yeh well, just you believe wot u want.
Made an official complaint, got no where.
Wrote to Hibs, got nowhere.
He's never been back to Easter road, travels to man u games (numpty)

Im stopping there cos whats the point. Football is escapism and to many like me is a way of life. somewhere i can go n forget about it all for a few hours, shout, scream n sing myself sore. Have a few pints n have a laugh. should i fear being arrested for swearing in the streets??

Respect to all, but lets have fun