PDA

View Full Version : 5 Years from now??

WhileTheChief..
07-09-2009, 10:50 AM
“There’s something going on down Easter Road…….”

Having read this line a few times and some of the more optimistic threads on here it got me thinking as to where we might be in 5 years time.

It certainly does feel that the mood in general is far more positive than has been for many years around Easter Road. I have been watching Hibs since the ‘80s and other than a few years under McLeish and Mowbray there seems to have been a dark cloud of negativity hanging over us for the majority of that time.

Now though I feel that that cloud has lifted and we on the verge of enjoying some truly amazing times ahead.

We now have the manager in place, a decent squad taking shape and a stadium to be completed within a year in all probability. Whereas most of our competitors are now having to go through the belt tightening that we have endured for years we are now outspending Rangers!

I would think that qualifying for Europe over the next 2 – 3 years is well within our grasp. Ok, the first year or 2 might just result in a couple of qualifying round defeats but getting into the Europa League proper cannot be beyond the realms of possibility for us.

If we can then also continue to develop the strength of squad over the next few years we could find ourselves in a position to challenge for 2nd place in the league.

That then gives us a shot at qualifying for the Champions League. I’m not saying it will be easy but with a bit of luck and a dodgy offside goal in the 95th minute we might just scrape into the Group Stages!! Imagine it, 3 home games against the best that Europe has to offer!!

That only needs to happen once, resulting in increased gate receipts for the year, TV money and the lure of Champs League football to get our best players to want to stay instead of moving on.

So, 5 years from now, playing in the Champs League and finishing runner up in the SPL……

So how about you? Where do you see us in 5 years? Do you have similar dreams or visions? Do you see a completely different path for us? Are you happy just to go along for ride and see where we end up?

I would be interested in hearing other people’s views if only so I know if I am as dillusional as our city rivals or if indeed there is something going on down Easter Road that we are all feeling…..

Oh, and the Scottish Cup? Well, 112 years and counting…………

Spike Mandela
07-09-2009, 10:58 AM
You would think so WTC. However I remember feeling like this towards the emd of Mowbray's time, then went on to win the LC only to see things desintegrate under JC and hopes completely fizzle out under Mixu.

Certainly I feel some cautious optimism for the next five years and like yourelf feel the barometer for this shold be regular qualification for Europe. It is long overdue.

MB62
07-09-2009, 11:36 AM

Having read this line a few times and some of the more optimistic threads on here it got me thinking as to where we might be in 5 years time.

It certainly does feel that the mood in general is far more positive than has been for many years around Easter Road. I have been watching Hibs since the ‘80s and other than a few years under McLeish and Mowbray there seems to have been a dark cloud of negativity hanging over us for the majority of that time.

Now though I feel that that cloud has lifted and we on the verge of enjoying some truly amazing times ahead.

We now have the manager in place, a decent squad taking shape and a stadium to be completed within a year in all probability. Whereas most of our competitors are now having to go through the belt tightening that we have endured for years we are now outspending Rangers!

I would think that qualifying for Europe over the next 2 – 3 years is well within our grasp. Ok, the first year or 2 might just result in a couple of qualifying round defeats but getting into the Europa League proper cannot be beyond the realms of possibility for us.

If we can then also continue to develop the strength of squad over the next few years we could find ourselves in a position to challenge for 2nd place in the league.

That then gives us a shot at qualifying for the Champions League. I’m not saying it will be easy but with a bit of luck and a dodgy offside goal in the 95th minute we might just scrape into the Group Stages!! Imagine it, 3 home games against the best that Europe has to offer!!

That only needs to happen once, resulting in increased gate receipts for the year, TV money and the lure of Champs League football to get our best players to want to stay instead of moving on.

So, 5 years from now, playing in the Champs League and finishing runner up in the SPL……

So how about you? Where do you see us in 5 years? Do you have similar dreams or visions? Do you see a completely different path for us? Are you happy just to go along for ride and see where we end up?

I would be interested in hearing other people’s views if only so I know if I am as dillusional as our city rivals or if indeed there is something going on down Easter Road that we are all feeling…..

Where can I buy a pint of what you've been drinking, it seems to be good strong stuff :greengrin

In five years time we will have gone through at least one, but probably more, new managers.
We will still be fighting the Yams, Aberdeen, Dundee utd and A.N. Other for
3rd spot at best, and if we are having a bad season, for a top six finish.
Despite the fact the 'current buns' are skint and no longer spending big in the transfer market, the salary they can pay will mean the bigot brothers will always be too strong over a season for everybody else.
Best chances of success will be in the cups, as usual.

I don't feel pesimistic about this, it's just the unfortunate reality IMO.

Chuckie
07-09-2009, 12:09 PM
Ltyf

Wilson
07-09-2009, 12:11 PM
We will still be fighting the Yams

In 5 years?! Really?

Pessimist :bitchy:

:wink:

Lucius Apuleius
07-09-2009, 12:29 PM
LTYF without a doubt.

Ray_
07-09-2009, 12:29 PM
We'll be at a stage where those promised/suggested new quality players are almost on board, including Jones's replacement:devil:

Woody1985
07-09-2009, 12:38 PM
:feed:

Although the YF is at the wind up. I'd quite comfortably say that we won't be stating that we'll win the CL. :greengrin

However, the future is bright. We'll have a completed stadium, the mortgage on the stand, another few decent youngsters coming through to pay for the mortgage. After that any income to the club will go on players.

I do suspect that we'll need to sell one more batch of youngsters to completely pay off the mortgage. Although now we are in a position where we can spend so the squad doesn't deplete further and even improve it.

I asked on another thread but don't think I got an answer. Does anyone know if our mortgage is interest only? I think it was mentioned previously that it was and that's why the interest fluctuated on the accounts. If so, I suspect that's where the extra funds are coming from. Strangely, it could be that a recession has actually made is more wealthy and the longer it continues the stronger we'll get.

jacomo
07-09-2009, 12:45 PM
LTYF without a doubt.

:agree:

It's often been said, though, that if Edinburgh had just one strong club to unite behind, it might be able to launch a sustained challenge to the OF. With Agent Vladimir working hard to make this come about, you never know what the future might hold.

:wink:

jacomo
07-09-2009, 12:47 PM
I asked on another thread but don't think I got an answer. Does anyone know if our mortgage is interest only? I think it was mentioned previously that it was and that's why the interest fluctuated on the accounts. If so, I suspect that's where the extra funds are coming from. Strangely, it could be that a recession has actually made is more wealthy and the longer it continues the stronger we'll get.

Surely the hit the club is taking on ticket sales is at least as big as any saving from the mortgage payments? :confused:

Woody1985
07-09-2009, 01:27 PM
Surely the hit the club is taking on ticket sales is at least as big as any saving from the mortgage payments? :confused:

Depends how much the mortgage payments were. :wink:

If the mortgage is a base rate tracker with no floor we could be laughing and will be for the next few month at the very least.

The rate is curently 1.50%. Assuming the BR tracker is +1% on the BR for the full amount then the following would be true:

July 2007 - 5.75% BR + 1% = payments of £33,750 per month.

May 2008 - 5% BR + 1 % = payments of £30,000 per month.

November 2008. 4.5% + 1% = payments of £25,000 per month.

Dec 2008 - 2% +1% = payments of £15,000 per month.

Feb 2009 - 1.5% + 1% = payments of £12,500 per month.

If the tracked is -1% on the tracker then we could be paying £2,500 per month. Maybe the tache has a -1.50% tracker and predicted it all :greengrin

How many STs were sold this year compared with last year. It would only be a guess to work it out but it's an educated one at that.

Gerard
07-09-2009, 05:31 PM
The future will be interesting for a variety of reasons;
1. The football academy will hopefully see several players coming through it who are quality
2. The New stand will be built and there will be more tickets sold to children and families
3. We will be able to qualify for Europe on a regular basis and see more revenue streams coming on tap
4. We will win that Cup, hopefully
5. The club will hopefully be the Premier club in Edinburgh and have the majority of fans in Edinburgh and the Lothians.
Gerard

Killiehibbie
07-09-2009, 05:41 PM
Depends how much the mortgage payments were. :wink:

If the mortgage is a base rate tracker with no floor we could be laughing and will be for the next few month at the very least.

The rate is curently 1.50%. Assuming the BR tracker is +1% on the BR for the full amount then the following would be true:

July 2007 - 5.75% BR + 1% = payments of £33,750 per month.

May 2008 - 5% BR + 1 % = payments of £30,000 per month.

November 2008. 4.5% + 1% = payments of £25,000 per month.

Dec 2008 - 2% +1% = payments of £15,000 per month.

Feb 2009 - 1.5% + 1% = payments of £12,500 per month.

If the tracked is -1% on the tracker then we could be paying £2,500 per month. Maybe the tache has a -1.50% tracker and predicted it all :greengrin

How many STs were sold this year compared with last year. It would only be a guess to work it out but it's an educated one at that.

Sorry to mess up your sums base rate is 0.5 %.

ancient hibee
07-09-2009, 05:50 PM
One mortgage of £3760000 - repayments started August 2008

One mortgage of £2500000-repayment in July 2020

both variable interest rate-don't know what basis

WhileTheChief..
07-09-2009, 06:24 PM
Not a Hearts fan at all.

I don't know if there's a test or a hibsnet initiation ceremony to take part in to disprove the yamfud remarks, I just haven't posted on here often.

Anyway, not wanting to start an argument at all. I only wondered if anyone else out there shares the same optimism that i genuinely do.

Woody1985
07-09-2009, 06:31 PM
Sorry to mess up your sums base rate is 0.5 %.

Apologies, the Feb one should have been Jan and March should have been 0.5%. Therefore, the sums are correct.

You can take the second last paragraph and use the sum for March.

Petrie only needed a -0.50% tracker to pay 0 interest just now. :greengrin

jakedance
07-09-2009, 06:34 PM
I do!

Compared to the non old firm competition we look like we're on the up whereas they're all skint.

Woody1985
07-09-2009, 06:34 PM
One mortgage of £3760000 - repayments started August 2008

One mortgage of £2500000-repayment in July 2020

both variable interest rate-don't know what basis

Did that say 2010 a minute ago or am I tripping? :LOL:

Hopefully a BR tracker with no floor. If the payments started in August 2008 he probably seen it as a good chance to switch the products and start paying off the mortgage now whilst rates are low, unless it's always been repayment but I thought it was IO.

Therefore, the money must have come from elsewhere if he's retained the payment level or thereabouts.

WindyMiller
07-09-2009, 07:28 PM
Not a Hearts fan at all.

I don't know if there's a test or a hibsnet initiation ceremony to take part in to disprove the yamfud remarks, I just haven't posted on here often.

Anyway, not wanting to start an argument at all. I only wondered if anyone else out there shares the same optimism that i genuinely do.

Too much optimism, mate! that's why they think you're a Yam.

Get yer gimpsuit ironed! :wink:

The_Todd
08-09-2009, 06:07 PM
In 5 years we'll be still clamouring for someone to fill the Matty Jack Role, predicting the imminent demise of the Yams and wondering what would have happened had we built on the good young team put together by Yogi.

For it has been written.

Dashing Bob S
08-09-2009, 08:42 PM
-Two cups (one League and one Scottish)
-2 third place finishes
-2 fourth place finishes
-1 fifth place finish
-2 Europa Cup section places
-1 Europa cup knock out QF.
-21,000 all seater stadium
-15,000 season ticket holders
-£43 million brought in in transfer fees
-£10 million spent in transfer fees
-one big screen in corner
-plans to increase capacity to 24,000 by filling in two corners
-in the red

I'd settle for the above. Very much on the high end of the expectations scale, but far from impossible.

Spike Mandela
08-09-2009, 08:51 PM
-2 third place finishes
-2 fourth place finishes
-1 fifth place finish
-in the red

I'd settle for the above. Very much on the high end of the expectations scale, but far from impossible.

Even reading that gave me a tingle:thumbsup:

Bit disappointed with the fifth place finish though:wink:

Lucius Apuleius
09-09-2009, 09:33 AM
And Doddie would still want the Dobmeister signed and still hating the fat barrel of lard. Blackpool will still be moaning his mitts off about aw'hing and a'hing. The Radge will still be cr ap at golf. All the PM wimmun will still be witches, just better at it. etc etc etc. :greengrin

And I still think someone who posts "Oh, and the Scottish Cup? Well, 112 years and counting…………" in one of his first posts is dodgy to say the least.

BoltonHibee
09-09-2009, 11:39 AM

That'll be a transitional year. We've always got to have one of those no matter what....

Booked4Being-Ugly
09-09-2009, 12:25 PM
And Doddie would still want the Dobmeister signed and still hating the fat barrel of lard. Blackpool will still be moaning his mitts off about aw'hing and a'hing. The Radge will still be cr ap at golf. All the PM wimmun will still be witches, just better at it. etc etc etc. :greengrin

And I still think someone who posts "Oh, and the Scottish Cup? Well, 112 years and counting…………" in one of his first posts is dodgy to say the least.The only people who use terms like this are yams. LTYF :jamboak:

RIP
09-09-2009, 12:57 PM
While the Chief has posted his seat in the West Stand as JJ44 / 44JJ. So unless that's Dolly Parton's vest measurement - we should assume it's a valid seat - no?

My mate's in the West Lower - row Q, about half to two-thirds of the way towards the back.

If we assume that seats in the west lower stop at say AD, that's thirty rows? To get to JJ we would need AE-AZ, BA-BZ, CA-CZ, DA-DZ, EA-EZ, FA-FZ, GA-GZ, HA-HZ, (IA-IZ?), JA-JJ - 212 rows or a stand the height of Salisbury Crags?

However that's assuming there's a logic to seat numbering in the West

Anyone know if there's a rowJJ?

Septimus
09-09-2009, 01:16 PM
Being in my seventies I will quite possibly be dead in five years time. Hibs can then relax and go on to win the Scottish Cup three times on the trot.

Killiehibbie
09-09-2009, 01:30 PM
While the Chief has posted his seat in the West Stand as JJ44 / 44JJ. So unless that's Dolly Parton's vest measurement - we should assume it's a valid seat - no?

My mate's in the West Lower - row Q, about half to two-thirds of the way towards the back.

If we assume that seats in the west lower stop at say AD, that's thirty rows? To get to JJ we would need AE-AZ, BA-BZ, CA-CZ, DA-DZ, EA-EZ, FA-FZ, GA-GZ, HA-HZ, (IA-IZ?), JA-JJ - 212 rows or a stand the height of Salisbury Crags?

I think there's about 20 rows lower and a few less upper so I don't think jj is a row.

BoltonHibee
09-09-2009, 01:36 PM
I think on the double lettering in the West it goes AA BB CC and so on. I used to have a seat in the Upper in row QQ. I would say JJ is a valid row.

Dashing Bob S
10-09-2009, 04:22 PM

You have to be realistic. :wink:

I still expect us to be moaning about where all the money is going.

WhileTheChief..
10-09-2009, 05:20 PM
-2 third place finishes
-2 fourth place finishes
-1 fifth place finish
-in the red

Love it.
Guess im fed up thinking this is the year we can win the cup so I'd settle for a wee go in the champs league within 5 years:thumbsup:

JJ-44 is towards the Dunbar end next to the fancy seats near the stairwell. Rows start from AA. If you sit near there come and say hi at halftime on Sunday!

WindyMiller
10-09-2009, 05:30 PM

IIRC the upper West starts AA and ends around SS.

neilyboy1973
10-09-2009, 06:12 PM
Why would you be at ER on Sunday? :wink:

MSK
10-09-2009, 06:24 PM
Why would you be at ER on Sunday? :wink:To get a supporters bus ..?

Cropley10
10-09-2009, 09:42 PM

Hilarious! We beat St Mirren and Falkirk, lose to of our best players and all of a sudden we might end up in the Group Stages of the CL!!:faf::faf: