PDA

View Full Version : Scotland to appeal McFadden booking

Toaods
06-09-2009, 12:03 PM
'mistaken identity' plea.

...be surprised if they get anywhere with that one.

Future17
06-09-2009, 12:13 PM
Would they not have to then attribute the booking to Brown which would result in him being suspended? :confused:

They should appeal it on the grounds that the referee told McFadden it was for a lack of fair play when Brown won the drop-ball......a rule he has clearly just made up.

500miles
06-09-2009, 12:16 PM

Mistaken identity can be used for anything - bookings, red cards, fines etc. It forces them to review the situation.

So they can decide it WAS mistaken identity, but instead of book Brown, simply recind the card, because there was no grounds for it being produced. (I think anyway)

whiskyhibby
06-09-2009, 12:17 PM
Is this not all academic, as I see it there is no way we can qualify

I thought the best 8 2nd places in the groups played each other, we are 9th out of 9 at present, with a -9 goal difference to the next placed team who have three points more than us, even if we beat Holland 4-0 then we still need the other team (Hungary) to lose 6-0 at home to their groups bottom placed team.............Or am I missing something?

:devil::devil::devil::devil::devil:

CropleyWasGod
06-09-2009, 12:20 PM
Would they not have to then attribute the booking to Brown which would result in him being suspended? :confused:

They should appeal it on the grounds that the referee told McFadden it was for a lack of fair play when Brown won the drop-ball......a rule he has clearly just made up.

Reading between the lines, Brown's injury may keep him out of Wednesday anyways, so perhaps it's as well to let him serve the ban.

CropleyWasGod
06-09-2009, 12:21 PM

I thought the best 8 2nd places in the groups played each other, we are 9th out of 9 at present, with a -9 goal difference to the next placed team who have three points more than us, even if we beat Holland 4-0 then we still need the other team (Hungary) to lose 6-0 at home to their groups bottom placed team.............Or am I missing something?

Aye, about 500 posts and a maths degree...:greengrin

--------
06-09-2009, 12:31 PM
Reading between the lines, Brown's injury may keep him out of Wednesday anyways, so perhaps it's as well to let him serve the ban.

Nevin said as much last night on the highlights show.

CropleyWasGod
06-09-2009, 12:36 PM
Nevin said as much last night on the highlights show.

Yup, he also used the word Machiavellian. He deserves a yellow card for that alone.

Future17
06-09-2009, 02:32 PM
Yup, he also used the word Machiavellian. He deserves a yellow card for that alone.

Frank Machiavellian? I thought he'd retired? Will he play if McFadden is suspended? :greengrin

--------
06-09-2009, 02:34 PM

So Pat's read old Niccolo's wee book?

I like him more and more .... :devil:

Hibster
06-09-2009, 03:19 PM
No chance it'll get overturned. Even if it was mistaken identity there's enough tv evidence, as shown on the highlights last night, to justify the ref giving McFadden a booking. he ran in and pushed a macedonian player - its a harsh booking and they were all at it, but it'll still stand

Hibster
06-09-2009, 03:20 PM

We're currently 6th out of the second placed teams. All the teams below us have games in hand though so we have to beat Netherlands and hope that the teams below us slip up in their remaining games

CropleyWasGod
06-09-2009, 08:09 PM
So Pat's read old Niccolo's wee book?

I like him more and more .... :devil:

Charlie Nick wrote a book? Well, blow me down.... I didn't think he could even read one.

Actually, Doddie, I'm sure you're old enough to remember when Nevin had a double-page spread in the NME, cos he was just so cool. When he went abroad with Chelsea, the rest of the team went to the bar..... Pat went to the museums and galleries.

Must be gay :devil:

erin go bragh
06-09-2009, 08:10 PM

all the other teams woll lose 6points [they dont get any points of the team that finnishes bottom] a draw could be enough to put us in the playoffs:confused:

Sylar
06-09-2009, 08:38 PM
In typical Scottish fashion:

The appeal will be successful and McFadden will be cleared to play - Scottish media and fans go into overdrive with anticipation/excitement, forgetting all the pish which has preceded us to this point.

McFadden will start against a young Dutch side, as they rest some of their superstars, having already comfortably qualified - Scottish media/fans will get excited at playing a "weakened" side.

Holland will score early, McFadden will have a stinker, and we'll ultimately lose, starting stories of "so close, yet so far" and "last minute heartbreaks" tag, which we've undeservedly been given in our last 2 qualification campaigns.

Mag7
06-09-2009, 10:12 PM
In typical Scottish fashion:

The appeal will be successful and McFadden will be cleared to play - Scottish media and fans go into overdrive with anticipation/excitement, forgetting all the pish which has preceded us to this point.

McFadden will start against a young Dutch side, as they rest some of their superstars, having already comfortably qualified - Scottish media/fans will get excited at playing a "weakened" side.

Holland will score early, McFadden will have a stinker, and we'll ultimately lose, starting stories of "so close, yet so far" and "last minute heartbreaks" tag, which we've undeservedly been given in our last 2 qualification campaigns.

Spot on. It will be absurd if the 'so close' cr*p gets pedalled out after Wednesday. We have never looked remotely close to qualifying in this campaign. It's another dismal failure, pure and simple, and should be regarded as such once the Dutch finally kill us off.

silverhibee
06-09-2009, 10:27 PM

What if the appeal fails, what are the chances of Riordan being called up for back up to Maloney, as he will get the nod if Faddy does not play due to suspension.
Or i am being silly.:greengrin

Toaods
06-09-2009, 10:41 PM
What if the appeal fails, what are the chances of Riordan being called up for back up to Maloney, as he will get the nod if Faddy does not play due to suspension.

there's as much chance of Deek getting the call up as there is of David Weir making a comeback at the grand old age of............errrr.....:dizzy:

Boozy14
07-09-2009, 12:37 AM
No chance it'll get overturned. Even if it was mistaken identity there's enough tv evidence, as shown on the highlights last night, to justify the ref giving McFadden a booking. he ran in and pushed a macedonian player - its a harsh booking and they were all at it, but it'll still stand

It was a booking Mcfadden ran into the crowd of players with his hands up,wheather we like it or not he deserved a card!Theres no reason why scott brown should have been booked,but it was bad sportsmanship on his behalf.

Hibster
07-09-2009, 02:17 AM

Agree we won't deserve it this campaign, and I doubt anyone will use cos everyone knows we've been rank rotton, but we definitely deserved the "glorious failure" headlines for the 2008 qualification - some great results, and at 1-1 against Italy in the last game we were one goal away from qualification in one of the hardest groups in recent memory. It was a great effort

Big90inOz
07-09-2009, 03:26 AM
It was a booking Mcfadden ran into the crowd of players with his hands up,wheather we like it or not he deserved a card!Theres no reason why scott brown should have been booked,but it was bad sportsmanship on his behalf.

There is too much of this kick the ball out of play and then pass it back stuff :bitchy: I can understand when a guy has a broken leg or a really bad head knock, too often the ball is kicked out because someone's hair is out of place :greengrin

Brown was right in going for the ball especially as he was indicating he was going to compete for the ball all along. :agree:

Time we got back to the old stramash that comes with a bounce ball :devil:

PaulSmith
07-09-2009, 06:02 AM

Depends...is he home yet :wink:

Nando™
07-09-2009, 06:15 AM
LOL Mind Stephen Pearson? That was a laugh.

Sandy
07-09-2009, 06:44 AM
Agree we won't deserve it this campaign, and I doubt anyone will use cos everyone knows we've been rank rotton, but we definitely deserved the "glorious failure" headlines for the 2008 qualification - some great results, and at 1-1 against Italy in the last game we were one goal away from qualification in one of the hardest groups in recent memory. It was a great effort

We got beat 2-1 :grr:

Mag7
07-09-2009, 07:03 AM

Most seem to forget that the reason we didn't qualify was because we lost tamely 2-0 in Georgia to a side which had no chance of qualification. The wins over a poor France side made the campaign seem better than it was.

Sandy
07-09-2009, 07:08 AM
Most seem to forget that the reason we didn't qualify was because we lost tamely 2-0 in Georgia to a side which had no chance of qualification. The wins over a poor France side made the campaign seem better than it was.

The 3-1 against Ukraine was decent enough I thought, no pleasing some folk though :yawn:

RIP
07-09-2009, 07:54 AM

Deek is the only other striker who has the genius to score the goal McFadden scored on Saturday.

Edit: Though I'm not sure he could have run from our own half all the way to the opposition goal :devil:

Spike Mandela
07-09-2009, 07:59 AM
Deek is the only other striker who has the genius to score the goal McFadden scored on Saturday.

Edit: Though I'm not sure he could have run from our own half all the way to the opposition goal :devil:

I reckon the only players capable of scoring a goal like that in our squad is the Moroccans.

blackpoolhibs
07-09-2009, 08:03 AM

That will be why he said, AT 1-1 we were only one goal away from going through.:wink:

Steve-O
07-09-2009, 09:36 AM
Spot on. It will be absurd if the 'so close' cr*p gets pedalled out after Wednesday. We have never looked remotely close to qualifying in this campaign. It's another dismal failure, pure and simple, and should be regarded as such once the Dutch finally kill us off.

Er, apart from now :confused:

Alicky Ranks
07-09-2009, 09:55 AM
Er, apart from now :confused:

Surely nobody seriously believes Scotland will qualify?! Not a chance. It'll all be over on Wednesday night and Burley, thankfully, will be on his way.

Steve-O
07-09-2009, 10:04 AM
Surely nobody seriously believes Scotland will qualify?! Not a chance. It'll all be over on Wednesday night and Burley, thankfully, will be on his way.

No, of course it's COMPLETELY impossible :bye:

Sandy
07-09-2009, 10:04 AM
That will be why he said, AT 1-1 we were only one goal away from going through.:wink:

Smart arse :greengrin

silverhibee
07-09-2009, 10:24 AM
Depends...is he home yet :wink:

He is.:wink:

LamontHFC©
07-09-2009, 11:21 AM
So, what's happened with the appeal then???

Danderhall Hibs
07-09-2009, 11:28 AM
So, what's happened with the appeal then???

There's no procedure in place to appeal yellow cards so it's went nowhere.

Dinkydoo
07-09-2009, 11:31 AM
does it actually say anywhere in anyones rule book that you have to give the ball back to the opposition.......

I don't really see hwo it was "unfair" either. The game was stopped when we had the ball because a Macedonian player was on the deck. If anything the ball should have been given to Gordon imo.

Also, we shouldn't be complaining about Faddy getting the booking because if Brown got it then he would have been sent off and consequently not being able to score the opener.

The whole situation was a bit of a farce tbh and that was confirmed by the fact that the referee only booked two or three players for half of the Macedonian team swarming around Brown, pushing him looking for him to retaliate and recieve a second yellow.

For the opposition to call him unsportsman like or that he's being unfair stinks of hypocrisy.

Damn farmers...:grr:

:faf:

BonnieFitbaTeam
07-09-2009, 11:59 AM
does it actually say anywhere in anyones rule book that you have to give the ball back to the opposition.......

I don't really see hwo it was "unfair" either. The game was stopped when we had the ball because a Macedonian player was on the deck. If anything the ball should have been given to Gordon imo.

Also, we shouldn't be complaining about Faddy getting the booking because if Brown got it then he would have been sent off and consequently not being able to score the opener.

The whole situation was a bit of a farce tbh and that was confirmed by the fact that the referee only booked two or three players for half of the Macedonian team swarming around Brown, pushing him looking for him to retaliate and recieve a second yellow.

For the opposition to call him unsportsman like or that he's being unfair stinks of hypocrisy.

Damn farmers...:grr:

:faf:

No' half, given the amount of diving they got away with !

The 'putting the ball out of play' rule should be simple; if you put it out 'cos one of your opponents is 'injured' then they give you the ball back. If you put it out 'cos one of your own players is 'injured' then that's your choice so don't expect to get the ball back.

Notwithstanding the fact that it's supposed to be the ref's decision anyway !

Hibster
07-09-2009, 12:41 PM

:confused:

I know we did. But at 1-1, with 20 mins to go, we were one goal away from qualifying. In a group that contained Ukraine, Italy and France. Thats quite impressive

Sandy
07-09-2009, 01:55 PM
:confused:

I know we did. But at 1-1, with 20 mins to go, we were one goal away from qualifying. In a group that contained Ukraine, Italy and France. Thats quite impressive

Never read your post properly mate, sorry, I thought you had mistaken that game for the 1-1 at Hampden with kenny Miller scoring.

Dinkydoo
08-09-2009, 11:30 AM
No' half, given the amount of diving they got away with !

The 'putting the ball out of play' rule should be simple; if you put it out 'cos one of your opponents is 'injured' then they give you the ball back. If you put it out 'cos one of your own players is 'injured' then that's your choice so don't expect to get the ball back.

Notwithstanding the fact that it's supposed to be the ref's decision anyway !

I agree 100% :top marks