PDA

View Full Version : Scotland Player Ratings

Randerson_4
05-09-2009, 07:59 PM
Havent seen another thread for this, so thought id start one. Heck its my 700th post too! Was at the game and tho we were p1sh first half, second half was great. good win, keeps chances alive

Gordon 8 - Very impressive. Dealt with everything in calm fashion, 2/3 fantastic saves.

Hutton 8 - again excellent. bombed on well, has great pace. Not great delivery today, defended well I thought.

Weir 8 - not a fan but have to hold my hands up here, he was brilliant today. Okay they had a few chances and Pandev was a nightmare but thought we looked solid with him back in the middle of defence

McManus 8 - same as weir really, esp considering he hasnt played all season

Davidson - he walked past me to sit in the stand after coming off, thats the only thing I can say about him

Alexander 6 - wasnt great in the first half, couldnt get near them. Second half improved as we took control. did ok

Brown 9 - outstanding. thought he might lose it and get himself but managed to stay calmish! but yeah brilliant today. good goal

D. Fletcher 8 - was impressed with him. He isnt a playmaker, never will be, was at times his distructive best. good captains performance

S. Fletcher 6 - massive fan of his but wasnt great today. seemed to be out wide which doesnt suit him. Worked very hard to track back against a good LB for them first half. Would like to see him more centrally. good cross for the goal

McFadden 9 - man of the match for me(Scotland anyway). such a good player with ball at feet. took goal really well and unlucky nobody was on end of his cross

Miller 6 - wasnt impressed at all! offside far too many times. had a couple of chances, never felt he would score tho! people say his work rate is great, but I seemed to be constantly shouting at him to close the defenders down. Rather Fletcher up top than him

Subs

Whittaker 8 - very impressed, as I said on another thread. unlucky not to start

Maloney 7 - dunno why Burley was waxing lyrical about him after that match. yeah he did well but was hardly a stand out. good option to bring on though

Hartley 7 - hate the wee g1t, but he did well today. kept us ticking over

A quick mention for Pandev, who I thought was outstanding! brilliant player. always worried when he got the ball

Also the LB for them impressed me, esp first half

Wakeyhibee
05-09-2009, 09:23 PM
Havent seen another thread for this, so thought id start one. Heck its my 700th post too! Was at the game and tho we were p1sh first half, second half was great. good win, keeps chances alive

Gordon 8 - Very impressive. Dealt with everything in calm fashion, 2/3 fantastic saves.

Hutton 8 - again excellent. bombed on well, has great pace. Not great delivery today, defended well I thought.

Weir 8 - not a fan but have to hold my hands up here, he was brilliant today. Okay they had a few chances and Pandev was a nightmare but thought we looked solid with him back in the middle of defence

McManus 8 - same as weir really, esp considering he hasnt played all season

Davidson - he walked past me to sit in the stand after coming off, thats the only thing I can say about him

Alexander 6 - wasnt great in the first half, couldnt get near them. Second half improved as we took control. did ok

Brown 9 - outstanding. thought he might lose it and get himself but managed to stay calmish! but yeah brilliant today. good goal

D. Fletcher 8 - was impressed with him. He isnt a playmaker, never will be, was at times his distructive best. good captains performance

S. Fletcher 6 - massive fan of his but wasnt great today. seemed to be out wide which doesnt suit him. Worked very hard to track back against a good LB for them first half. Would like to see him more centrally. good cross for the goal

McFadden 9 - man of the match for me(Scotland anyway). such a good player with ball at feet. took goal really well and unlucky nobody was on end of his cross

Miller 6 - wasnt impressed at all! offside far too many times. had a couple of chances, never felt he would score tho! people say his work rate is great, but I seemed to be constantly shouting at him to close the defenders down. Rather Fletcher up top than him

Subs

Whittaker 8 - very impressed, as I said on another thread. unlucky not to start

Maloney 7 - dunno why Burley was waxing lyrical about him after that match. yeah he did well but was hardly a stand out. good option to bring on though

Hartley 7 - hate the wee g1t, but he did well today. kept us ticking over

A quick mention for Pandev, who I thought was outstanding! brilliant player. always worried when he got the ball

Also the LB for them impressed me, esp first half

Just back myself and can't argue with your assessment, although I would have given MOM to either Hutton or Whittaker both of which did well in defence and providing excellent support up front

GreenOnions
05-09-2009, 09:58 PM
I have to say I think many of these marks are too high. Scotland battled hard to stay in the match and supported each other well. However, we should really have been dead and buried before they scored.

Gordon 8 -Agreed

Hutton 6 Defended well and moved forward well but passing/crossing very poor

Weir 6 Was pulled all over the place. Did well when he got close to strikers tho. His lack of pace made us sit far too deep

McManus 6 See Weir - although Mick has not played since the spring

Davidson - Not on long enough

Alexander 5 Didn't impose himself and passing pretty poor

Brown 7 Agree that he was our best player but gave the ball away on a number of occasions. Possibly hampered by his injury

D. Fletcher 6 Did okay but gave the ball away too much

S. Fletcher 6 Did okay. Good movement but should have scored in second half when he headed wide when he had time and space to control and shoot.

McFadden 7 Good goal and definitely posed them a threat. Again tho - gave the ball away too much

Miller 5 Good movement and hassling but touch poor and gave ball away.

Subs

Whittaker 7 Agreed. Very composed and effective when attacking. Caught out by through balls 2 or three times when defending tho. Should be in the team now on merit I'd say.

Maloney 6- Did well and linked with Whitty

Hartley 6- Did okay.

A quick mention for Pandev, who I thought was outstanding! brilliant player. always worried when he got the ball Agreed

Billychaotic182
05-09-2009, 10:45 PM
Gordon 7 - Saved every thing that came his way. He also got rid o that awful back pass Alexander played to McManus

Hutton 6 - Defended well but his Crossing was awful

Weir 6 - Old man river stop most things that came is way. But i do feel he is way 2 slow

McManus 7 - b4 Kick off i was sayin that Barr should have started over him. I take that back now.

Davidson - would be unfair to rate him

Alexander 4 - Why is he picked? The guy is rank rotten! His daft Back pass to McManus almost set them up!!!

Brown 8 - What better way to shut up the away fans than scoring! Well done Broony (MOTM)

D. Fletcher 5 - I dont see what he brings to the team? He does not do much. Not for someone who plays for Man Utd

S. Fletcher 6 - Wasted playing wide but his workrate is class!!

McFadden 7 - The guy knows how to score! Silly Booking tho

Miller 5 - Am Getting sick o seeing him miss!!!!

Subs

Whittaker 7 - The boy is class. He came on and could have bagged himself a few goals

Maloney 5 - Would have picked him over Steven. He played well what little time he was on

Hartley 5 - No time really. Would pick him over Alexander any day tho

woody47
05-09-2009, 11:31 PM
Gordon 8 - hated as a jambo but great game again for Scotland

Hutton 6 - What's happened to his crossing?

Weir 7 - Very slow but made up for that with clever positioning

McManus 5 - Nothing special.

Davidson - Why was he on the park in the first place?

Alexander 1 - A disgrace that this pretender to be a footballer has even 1 cap. Absolute rank rotten

Brown 8 - Wish he was still one of us. Brilliant

D. Fletcher 6 - seemed to be more involved than in the past

S. Fletcher 6 - Nothing special but his cross made the goal. Still think he was out of position!!

McFadden 7 - Hot and cold but great goal. typical faddy.

Miller 2 - How does he keep getting a game? headless bl00dy chicken and today hardly ran.

Subs

Whittaker 7 - Should have started in the first place. very cool.
Maloney 5 - Did ok when he came on

Hartley 4 - as much as I don't rate him now I would pick him before Alexander. (In fact I would pick my granny before Alexander)

Bu

LamontHFC©
05-09-2009, 11:44 PM
Gordon 7 - Saved every thing that came his way. He also got rid o that awful back pass Alexander played to McManus

Hutton 6 - Defended well but his Crossing was awful

Weir 6 - Old man river stop most things that came is way. But i do feel he is way 2 slow

McManus 7 - b4 Kick off i was sayin that Barr should have started over him. I take that back now.

Davidson - would be unfair to rate him

Alexander 4 - Why is he picked? The guy is rank rotten! His daft Back pass to McManus almost set them up!!!

Brown 8 - What better way to shut up the away fans than scoring! Well done Broony (MOTM)

D. Fletcher 5 - I dont see what he brings to the team? He does not do much. Not for someone who plays for Man Utd

S. Fletcher 6 - Wasted playing wide but his workrate is class!!

McFadden 7 - The guy knows how to score! Silly Booking tho

Miller 5 - Am Getting sick o seeing him miss!!!!

Subs

Whittaker 7 - The boy is class. He came on and could have bagged himself a few goals

Maloney 5 - Would have picked him over Steven. He played well what little time he was on

Hartley 5 - No time really. Would pick him over Alexander any day tho

Really?? I thought Fletcher gave a class captain's performance today. Lead by example and drove the team on time after time. Maybe just me.

woody47
05-09-2009, 11:54 PM
Really?? I thought Fletcher gave a class captain's performance today. Lead by example and drove the team on time after time. Maybe just me.

No. not just you. not brilliant but certainly a lot better than he has been of past.

Hibercelona
05-09-2009, 11:59 PM
No. not just you. not brilliant but certainly a lot better than he has been of past.

His performance today was far better than what i've seen him do in a Hibs strip in recent times. :agree:

I hope he can up his performance like that down south and hopefully move onto even greater things.

Billychaotic182
06-09-2009, 12:24 AM
His performance today was far better than what i've seen him do in a Hibs strip in recent times. :agree:

I hope he can up his performance like that down south and hopefully move onto even greater things.

The other Fletcher mate lol.

Na I think it just mgiht be me hoping for 2 much but as a player who plays for man utd i expect more than what he gives.

Hibercelona
06-09-2009, 12:54 AM
The other Fletcher mate lol.

Na I think it just mgiht be me hoping for 2 much but as a player who plays for man utd i expect more than what he gives.

It's been a long day.

:doh:

Barney McGrew
06-09-2009, 07:15 AM
I'm also in the camp that thinks the OP's ratings are a bit on the high side, particularly given that were absolutely rank rotten in the first half.

Hutton and Brown were head and shoulders above the rest of the players on the pitch, and it was probably the best performance from both of them in a Scotland jersey.

McFadden, as usual, did nothing for 88 mintues and had his two minutes of genius when the Macedonians were tiring. But that's what you get from him.

If we're going to beat the Dutch on Wednesday, we need everyone to play like they did secong half for the whole 90 minutes.

down-the-slope
06-09-2009, 07:30 AM

:agree: best Scotland game by a mile, breaking up the game higher up the pitch cutting supply, terrior tackling, but can actually pass unlike some. Much more like the way he plays fro Man U.......Now Barry F's been at last binned the central midfield with Him and Brown is starting to look balanced and have that bit of real class

H18sry
06-09-2009, 08:34 AM
I'm also in the camp that thinks the OP's ratings are a bit on the high side, particularly given that were absolutely rank rotten in the first half.

Hutton and Brown were head and shoulders above the rest of the players on the pitch, and it was probably the best performance from both of them in a Scotland jersey.

McFadden, as usual, did nothing for 88 mintues and had his two minutes of genius when the Macedonians were tiring. But that's what you get from him.

If we're going to beat the Dutch on Wednesday, we need everyone to play like they did secong half for the whole 90 minutes.

Faddy is Scotlands answer to Deeks, a player who can do nothing for long periods then one bit of magic and everybody is raving about him :agree:

Westie1875
06-09-2009, 10:13 AM
Faddy is Scotlands answer to Deeks, a player who can do nothing for long periods then one bit of magic and everybody is raving about him :agree:

I think Deek should be Scotlands answer to Deek. :wink::greengrin

Mikeystewart
06-09-2009, 10:57 AM

:top marks

bobbyhibs1983
06-09-2009, 11:20 AM

:top marks agree 100%

My hate from yesterday game is why do we pick players who have been out injured, e.g mcmanus and whoever else it was, whittiker,?though i fel he did well

I mean dont we have other good defenders who are scottish> i noticed somone mentioned barr, not seen anything of him though but surely is he plays well and had been playing and he is good enough to be called up surely if he has been playing well for his club then surely he should play instead of somone who has been out for months? just my view though

Randerson_4
06-09-2009, 11:23 AM

Yeah I think I was maybe still hyped up from being at the game. Wouldnt change my opinions, but maybe take a couple of marks down for a few players, weir mcmanus maybe only 7.

Hutton did well, but nowhere near his performance against Italy at Hampden. That was his best performance for Scotland. Hopefully more of that on Wednesday

500miles
06-09-2009, 11:32 AM
:top marks agree 100%

My hate from yesterday game is why do we pick players who have been out injured, e.g mcmanus and whoever else it was, whittiker,?though i fel he did well

I mean dont we have other good defenders who are scottish> i noticed somone mentioned barr, not seen anything of him though but surely is he plays well and had been playing and he is good enough to be called up surely if he has been playing well for his club then surely he should play instead of somone who has been out for months? just my view though

We struggled to deal with crosses and win headers with McManus and Weir, the former being 6'2'' and the latter being 6'4''. A 5'11'' centrehalf isn't what we needed.

Billychaotic182
06-09-2009, 11:42 AM
We struggled to deal with crosses and win headers with McManus and Weir, the former being 6'2'' and the latter being 6'4''. A 5'11'' centrehalf isn't what we needed.

Agreed. We gave away free headers all the time

500miles
06-09-2009, 12:01 PM

If Riordan maintains his performances since Stokes arrival - ie. looking threatening for the full 90, and pressurising high up the park - he WILL get his rewards.