PDA

View Full Version : Steven Whittaker

Northfield Hibby
05-09-2009, 06:03 PM
Thought he had a great game when he came on. How did Davidson start in front of him.

As for wednesday, with McFadden out, why not play Whittaker in midfield and Brown up front if fit?

A few Huns that I know can't stand him and think he should be emptied by them. Would love to see him back at ER!

PISTOL1875
05-09-2009, 06:04 PM
Thought he had a great game when he came on. How did Davidson start in front of him.

As for wednesday, with McFadden out, why not play Whittaker in midfield and Brown up front if fit?

A few Huns that I know can't stand him and think he should be emptied by them. Would love to see him back at ER!

If Whittaker had a left foot , then he would've been in from the start..

Badge
05-09-2009, 06:06 PM

Better than Davidson by a distance, with or without a left foot. Should have started before him.

Northfield Hibby
05-09-2009, 06:14 PM
Better than Davidson by a distance, with or without a left foot. Should have started before him.

:top marks

RIP
05-09-2009, 06:17 PM

That's amazing, the one's I know think he's fantastic. They were raving about his 2-goal performance on Saturday.

Spend almost the whole game for the cream buns in the opposition half. Study his positions in this 5 minute highlights clip

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/8229854.stm

Fantastic player - another of the great team of Ex-Hibs Scotland internationals

RIP
05-09-2009, 06:21 PM

For his left foot please see highlights above from 3mins50secs:wink:

FRes Hibbie
05-09-2009, 06:37 PM
I always thought Whittaker had an ok left foot (considering it's his weaker). His 20+ yard goal at the weekend was left footed.

Randerson_4
05-09-2009, 07:46 PM

Yeah without doubt. Davidson is out of Wednesday and based on today Whittaker is a cert to start there. Very impressive

blueisthecolour
05-09-2009, 08:08 PM
That's amazing, the one's I know think he's fantastic. They were raving about his 2-goal performance on Saturday.

Spend almost the whole game for the cream buns in the opposition half. Study his positions in this 5 minute highlights clip

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/8229854.stm

Fantastic player - another of the great team of Ex-Hibs Scotland internationals

To be fair our keeper could have spent more time in the oppositions half.

The Harp
05-09-2009, 09:12 PM
Whittaker was always one of my favourites when at ER. Thought he had more sense than to ply his trade with the Bigots, but money talks I suppose. Hope his association with the dark side doesn't last much longer.

AFKA5814_Hibs
05-09-2009, 09:20 PM
Always thought he was a bit suss at the back, but as an attacking full back, was superb. Probably finding now playing in a better team, the Huns :duck:, he has better cover at the back for his forging runs and get's more freedom to score more regularly.

hibsdaft
05-09-2009, 09:38 PM
bonus of playing on the left is he can cut in on his right and had a few reasonable attempts on goal that way.

NORTHERNHIBBY
06-09-2009, 05:52 PM
I thought that Whitts biggest weakness was tactical in that he would often not know when to curb his desire to get foward. More than once at ER he would lose the ball on the edge of the oppos box and there would be a gaping hole behind him where he was meant to be. What he does have is pace, and great stamina and that will count for a lot on Wednesdat night.

ancient hibee
06-09-2009, 05:55 PM
He'll be found out defensively at international level but will still be a success going forward.

blackpoolhibs
06-09-2009, 06:01 PM
He'll be found out defensively at international level but will still be a success going forward.

Perhaps he might against Holland, as many others will too, but he proved he is good enough to play against the likes of Macedonia.

ancient hibee
06-09-2009, 06:06 PM
Perhaps he might against Holland, as many others will too, but he proved he is good enough to play against the likes of Macedonia.
Yeh he played well but it's against the Hollands of this world that we need to be at our best defensively.

Mibbes Aye
06-09-2009, 06:10 PM
I thought that Whitts biggest weakness was tactical in that he would often not know when to curb his desire to get foward. More than once at ER he would lose the ball on the edge of the oppos box and there would be a gaping hole behind him where he was meant to be. What he does have is pace, and great stamina and that will count for a lot on Wednesdat night.

I know what you're saying but for me there's an onus on the manager there - if you play Whitty and give him licence to push on then you should be playing to a system that allows him that freedom, with somebody able to step back or to the side to compensate.

Unless it's literally a case of trying to score at least one more than you concede.....

hibbybrian
06-09-2009, 06:11 PM

:agree: however that's what McBride talked about recently on HI - when the full back goes forward, the defensive midfielder is supposed to cover for him :wink:

clerriehibs
06-09-2009, 08:33 PM

And they didn't like Goram at first either ... but opinions change.

hibbybrian
06-09-2009, 09:03 PM
And they didn't like Goram at first either ... but opinions change.

and change back :greengrin

ANDY McGEECHAN
06-09-2009, 11:13 PM

Keep taking the tablets mate, :confused::confused::confused: