PDA

View Full Version : Rob Jones says he's struggling.....

VegasHibby
05-09-2009, 04:43 PM
http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,1855_5539195,00.html

The photo is an uncanny resemblance to Steven Fletcher

Baader
05-09-2009, 04:46 PM
Anyone would struggle to fit into Scunthorpe's back four if they were playing upfront for Burnley. :greengrin

Big Rob should've stuck around but heard it was not his decision...

hibbybrian
05-09-2009, 04:55 PM
Anyone would struggle to fit into Scunthorpe's back four if they were playing upfront for Burnley. :greengrin

Big Rob should've stuck around but heard it was not his decision...

Ah - his Missus decided it was time to move :wink: :devil:

Hibercelona
05-09-2009, 04:55 PM
Is that Rob Jones or Steven Fletcher? :confused:

It does look more like Fletch! :greengrin

BEEJ
05-09-2009, 05:10 PM
"It has taken me a little while to adjust from Scottish football back to English football," said Jones to the Scunthorpe Telegraph
Anyone care to explain to me what the fundamental differences are?

He's making it sound like the SPL standard is way short of the standard of football in the Championship.

joe breezy
05-09-2009, 05:12 PM
Scunthorpe are gash

RIP
05-09-2009, 06:13 PM
http://www.sportscunny.co.uk/headlines/TOUGH-TASK-ADAPT-8211-JONES/article-1312931-detail/article.html

Interesting comment from the Durham poster. Never thought about this but maybe Jones didn't fit into Yogi's future plans?

VegasHibby
05-09-2009, 06:25 PM

He's making it sound like the SPL standard is way short of the standard of football in the Championship.

He's using it as a feeble excuse for his playing. Total cop out. Hibs would easily beat Scunthorpe if they ever played them.....

WindyMiller
05-09-2009, 06:37 PM

I watched him in one match and he was totally lost. Every ball came in to feet which isn't his forte, IMO.

Add to that the fact that Scunny are out of their depth.

blueisthecolour
05-09-2009, 06:43 PM
http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,1855_5539195,00.html

The photo is an uncanny resemblance to Steven Fletcher
Thats just p*ss poor journalism, make you wonder how these people keep there jobs.

HibeeUnderwood
05-09-2009, 09:46 PM
Once again, poor journalism! :grr:

AFKA5814_Hibs
06-09-2009, 12:20 AM
What actually are the big differences between the SPL and the Championship? :confused:

crewetollhibee
06-09-2009, 04:18 AM
What actually are the big differences between the SPL and the Championship? :confused:
Around £8K a week !!!:devil:

Big90inOz
06-09-2009, 04:37 AM
Doesn't surprise me that he's struggling.... gets pulled out of position to easily :agree:

goosano
06-09-2009, 04:56 AM
I don't think that it's any coincidence that Jones, Shiels, Sproule and Boozy have all failed to make a significant impact in the Championship. The pay is much higher than the SPL as is the standard

Hibbyradge
06-09-2009, 07:16 AM
http://www.sportscunny.co.uk/headlines/TOUGH-TASK-ADAPT-8211-JONES/article-1312931-detail/article.html

Interesting comment from the Durham poster. Never thought about this but maybe Jones didn't fit into Yogi's future plans?

He's just quoting what Yogi said in an interview.

Jones wanted away, for financial and family reasons.

maturehibby
06-09-2009, 12:33 PM
Is it only me but is Makalamby now shouting and domineering his box a lot more than he he did when Jones was in front of him ?

Gus
06-09-2009, 12:40 PM
He's just quoting what Yogi said in an interview.

Jones wanted away, for financial and family reasons.

:agree:, he was honest enough to say that...unlike some players

I think the gulf of the SPL & the Championship is getting wider & anyone to suggest any different clearly doesn't watch alot of football down south. Dare i suggest that some SPL clubs would struggle against quite a few of the teams in league one. I watched the highlights of the MK Dons V Huddersfield & the quality of football on display would def put some of the SPL clubs to shame :agree:

AK86
06-09-2009, 12:48 PM
Is it only me but is Makalamby now shouting and domineering his box a lot more than he he did when Jones was in front of him ?

Maka, domineering?, I dinny think so!!!!!!!!!!

I think jones will look back on his career and then he will realise that Hibs was the pinnacle. He never looked that happy to be here , did he?:bye:

Chuckie
06-09-2009, 12:55 PM

I think the gulf of the SPL & the Championship is getting wider & anyone to suggest any different clearly doesn't watch alot of football down south. Dare i suggest that some SPL clubs would struggle against quite a few of the teams in league one. I watched the highlights of the MK Dons V Huddersfield & the quality of football on display would def put some of the SPL clubs to shame :agree:

English.

Hibercelona
06-09-2009, 12:57 PM
Maka, domineering?, I dinny think so!!!!!!!!!!

I think jones will look back on his career and then he will realise that Hibs was the pinnacle. He never looked that happy to be here , did he?:bye:

sniff sniff :rolleyes:

AK86
06-09-2009, 01:23 PM

sniff sniff :rolleyes:

way of the mark
my point was jones didnt show our club the respect it deserved, esp for a captain.
hardly the thoughts of a jamturd

Hibs Class
06-09-2009, 01:25 PM

Certainly think Maka looked more confident last season in the games that Rob missed

Oscar Lomax
06-09-2009, 02:03 PM
Another guy who was vastly over rated by the majority off Hibs supporters. He gave away a lot off goals in his time with Hibs and is already being found out where he is playing against superior players every other week.

MSK
06-09-2009, 02:16 PM
Another guy who was vastly over rated by the majority off Hibs supporters. He gave away a lot off goals in his time with Hibs and is already being found out where he is playing against superior players every other week.Jones was good for hibs, he was a good centre half & certainly one of the best i have seen at Easter rd ...of course he wasnt the best with the ball at his feet but how many centre halfs in the SPL were ..?

Considering the standard of football Rob came from & being a late starter in professional football then i think he done well at hibs & on the showing of our centre halfs v celtic i think we badly missed his presence...

Im no gonna knock the big man..i liked him & i hope he recovers from his shaky start at scunny..

stu in nottingham
06-09-2009, 02:23 PM
Scunthorpe are gash

He's using it as a feeble excuse for his playing. Total cop out. Hibs would easily beat Scunthorpe if they ever played them.....

That's going to make it even more difficult for Jones. I never believed it was a good move for him. Sure, he's playing in the Championship but his newly-promoted relatively small and poorer club will struggle to establish themselves in their new strata. His struggle will mirror the Club's.

'Just' the mean ability of the players I'd say. Simply speaking Championship clubs can offer way in excess of what the majority of the SPL can offer in wages, then can attract better players that are often outwith the reach of Hibs and their contemporaries, sadly. Jones will be having a harder time, week-in and week-out. There will be no 'lesser' games.

Oscar Lomax
06-09-2009, 03:08 PM
Another guy who was vastly over rated by the majority off Hibs supporters. He gave away a lot off goals in his time with Hibs and is already being found out where he is playing against superior players every other week.

VegasHibby
06-09-2009, 03:45 PM

I think the best of the SPL teams would get a result against the best of the championship teams however you're right in saying some SPL would struggle. I think what Jones was saying was EVERY game in the Championship is tough compared to only 4 or 5 games in SPL being that same standard.
I do wish him alot of luck he was a real pro for us. And I think when he looks back at his career his finest moment will be lifting the CIS cup in front of 30,000 Hibees

NORTHERNHIBBY
06-09-2009, 05:33 PM
The highlights that I have seen of scunny on sky sports maybe paint a different picture. Sure that in the game that he got carried off-in, the opposition got one goal by bringing the ball all the way from their own half without a challenge, and other footage showed him throwing himself all over the place as his team-mates stood back and watched him. Maybe he is struggling because although he is regularly playing against better quality players, he is not doing it with better quality alongside him.:hmmm:

blackpoolhibs
06-09-2009, 05:35 PM
The highlights that I have seen of scunny on sky sports maybe paint a different picture. Sure that in the game that he got carried off-in, the opposition got one goal by bringing the ball all the way from their own half without a challenge, and other footage showed him throwing himself all over the place as his team-mates stood back and watched him. Maybe he is struggling because although he is regularly playing against better quality players, he is not doing it with better quality alongside him.:hmmm:

Thays my take on it too, although it is based on highlights, and not 90 minutes viewing.

lyonhibs
06-09-2009, 06:04 PM
Please let's not indulge in the Yamtastic habit of deigning player to be "pish" or "over-rated" just because they have left the club.

Jones was a great player for the club, a cup-winning captain, and a player that all other SPL teams would have loved to have had in their squad, especially when the going got tough in big games.

He's not fully fit and settling into a new club, a club whose 1st team squad is so hilariously out-of-sync with the quality of the vast majority of that Division that relegation looks to be a sure-fire certaintity.

He has NOT just become a gangly limbed figure of comedy overnight.

ancient hibee
06-09-2009, 06:09 PM
If Jones had been Turnbull's centre half we would have won the league.I lost count of how many goal we lost as Jim Black misheaded to Dixie Deans-it used to be like video replays.

Luna_Asylum
06-09-2009, 06:56 PM
If Jones had been Turnbull's centre half we would have won the league.I lost count of how many goal we lost as Jim Black misheaded to Dixie Deans-it used to be like video replays.

Jim Black much better IMHO

jabis
06-09-2009, 07:07 PM

occasionally see Coventry play at the Ricoh,and to be honest....it's guff !

Doesn't matter who they play,the football is guff !

they're all trying to get out that league....and it's (all together now)....GUFF

7Hero
06-09-2009, 07:18 PM
so rob, since you have left the mighty hibees, that team you won something with...

remember that, wining something, well it will never happen again big chap...

you seem to have lost your way..

we have no sympathy for you, loved you while you were here but seeing as you left then you can get tae,,,,,,,

lol xxxx

7Hero
06-09-2009, 07:20 PM

:faf::faf::faf::faf::faf:

Mibbes Aye
06-09-2009, 07:40 PM
Please let's not indulge in the Yamtastic habit of deigning player to be "pis" or "over-rated" just because they have left the club.

Jones was a great player for the club, a cup-winning captain, and a player that all other SPL teams would have loved to have had in their squad, especially when the going got tough in big games.

He's not fully fit and settling into a new club, a club whose 1st team squad is so hilariously out-of-sync with the quality of the vast majority of that Division that relegation looks to be a sure-fire certaintity.

I think you make fair points LH.

I remember when Jones' agent came out in the press slagging Hibs off over the 'improved' contract offer. IIRC we were flying under Collins and although there were doubts about how sustainable that was, there certainly was a sense of 'GTF Jones' from me. His ability to win headers and his willingness to throw himself over all areas of the pitch was admirable, but it shouldn't detract from his utter inability to distribute the ball in any way effectively TBH.

He was a consistent part of a Hibs defence that punched above his weight though. How much that was down to him, or to Maka and Hogg (both with their own flaws, clearly) or just due to the general paucity of the SPL is a debatable point.

He was always a player I thought we could improve upon. I recognise he (and Hogg) have been our best CBs in a long time. It's worryingly noticeable that in my lifetime supporting Hibs, we've had a number of good midfields and a few good attacks but little in the way of decent defences - McLeish's system and the Hogg-Jones partnership being the only consistent examples.

Septimus
07-09-2009, 01:14 PM
Jones is clearly missing the steadying influence of Hogg beside him. No doubt a year from now when Scunthorpe have dumped him we will be reading post after post telling us to sign him again.

Crazyhorse
07-09-2009, 02:01 PM
Please let's not indulge in the Yamtastic habit of deigning player to be "pish" or "over-rated" just because they have left the club.

Totally agree with that. It seems every few weeks there is a thread slagging off one of the players who lifted the cup at Hampden. I really don't understand it. There are other guys who played for Hibs won nothing and in fact let the club, their team mates and the supporters down. If people want to slag someone off (which is fairly pointless anyway if they are long gone) why not focus on them?

Scouse Hibee
07-09-2009, 02:08 PM
Jones was good for hibs, he was a good centre half & certainly one of the best i have seen at Easter rd ...of course he wasnt the best with the ball at his feet but how many centre halfs in the SPL were ..?

Considering the standard of football Rob came from & being a late starter in professional football then i think he done well at hibs & on the showing of our centre halfs v celtic i think we badly missed his presence...

Im no gonna knock the big man..i liked him & i hope he recovers from his shaky start at scunny..

:top marksCan't believe the amount of drivel that gets posted on here about Big Rob, he gave his all for us, captained a cup winning team and left to go down South for family reasons. He never claimed to be better than he was, a good honest pro who came into the game late and deserved the success he enjoyed at Hibs. He was a successful Hibs captain FFS.

lapsedhibee
07-09-2009, 02:12 PM
There are other guys who played for Hibs won nothing and in fact let the club, their team mates and the supporters down. If people want to slag someone off (which is fairly pointless anyway if they are long gone) why not focus on them?

Oh aye, that'd be good, some threads slagging off Kerr, Gatheussi, Donaldson, Curier, Zarabi, Morais, etc. Novel or what. :wink:

Crazyhorse
07-09-2009, 02:20 PM
Oh aye, that'd be good, some threads slagging off Kerr, Gatheussi, Donaldson, Curier, Zarabi, Morais, etc. Novel or what. :wink:

Yeah lapsedhibee as I said it is a pretty pointless exercise. However some players have deserved criticism for letting Hibs down (Latapy springs to mind - much as I loved to watch him play) others with less ability but more commitment to the team don't deserve it IMHO.

Bishop Hibee
07-09-2009, 08:05 PM
The Championship is vastly overrated on this messageboard. As I've stated before, I saw a few games at the Stadium of Light when living in Co. Durham and the quality was no better than the SPL.

Boozy - played most games for Coventry last season, Coleman didn't take up the option of a second year.

Shiels - bit player for Hibs, bit player for Doncaster. Some great moments but never really established himself at ER.

Sproule - I loved Ivan but stats at Hibs show he played roughly as many games as a sub as he started at ER.

Jones - best CH we've had post Turnbull's Tornadoes in my opinion. Hardly had a chance yet at a club who were the bookies favourites for relegation from the Championship.

Hope he doesn't like it and comes home to ER if we lose Bamba at the end of the season. Unlikely but I live in hope.

hibsbollah
07-09-2009, 08:17 PM
The Championship is vastly overrated on this messageboard.

:agree: Absolutely. Hibs would be competitive in the Championship, probably midtable obscurity, sort of Sheff Wednesday level. Its very much in the Scottish psyche to put ourselves down every five minutes and say our league is substandard, but its not.

blackpoolhibs
07-09-2009, 08:19 PM
:agree: Absolutely. Hibs would be competitive in the Championship, probably midtable obscurity, sort of Sheff Wednesday level. Its very much in the Scottish psyche to put ourselves down every five minutes and say our league is substandard, but its not.

I have also watched quite a bit of the championship, mostly Blackpool games. We would do fine in the championship.

Dunbar Hibee
07-09-2009, 08:21 PM
He won't last long there:bitchy:

matty_f
08-09-2009, 07:20 AM
Could be another reason for Jones' loss of form...

Just watching Moby on MTV, and my son's asked "Why's Rob Jones doing that?"

Is Moby really Rob Jones, standing far away?:greengrin