PDA

View Full Version : To those who hoped Scotland lose...

Ed De Gramo
05-09-2009, 04:09 PM
GIRFUY!...i hope you're all spewing that that Broony and Faddy scored!

Ed De Gramo
05-09-2009, 04:11 PM
i won't name names, but they ken who they are...a bunch of unpatriot judas's

One Day Soon
05-09-2009, 04:12 PM

Doubt many Macedonians subscribe to Hibs.net

Ed De Gramo
05-09-2009, 04:14 PM
there were some hoping that we got beat today.

magpie1892
05-09-2009, 04:15 PM
there were some hoping that we got beat today.

I was, but I am an English *******.

NORTHERNHIBBY
05-09-2009, 04:16 PM
Charlie Nicholas. :grr:

magpie1892
05-09-2009, 04:17 PM

Ha ha. That's so true.

Beefster
05-09-2009, 04:23 PM

Why not name them then instead of some random, over-excited criticism of no-one in particular?

Ross4356
05-09-2009, 04:25 PM
Aye!! Get it up you's

lyonhibs
05-09-2009, 04:26 PM
Do all folk from Leith have to fervently hope for a Hibs victory, or else risk being called "Judas"??

I doubt anybody Scottish on here was actually willing Scotland to lose, and the whole "couldn't care less" angle I'm beginning to sympathise with.

So, G19, let's strap on a pair.

You mean DBS, right?? :greengrin

MSK
05-09-2009, 04:30 PM
GIRFUY!...i hope you're all spewing that that Broony and Faddy scored!You been on the babycham again G...:rolleyes:

Ed De Gramo
05-09-2009, 04:30 PM
oh aye Pedro! and the message is clear to Scotland doubters...away and bile yer heid!

MSK
05-09-2009, 04:31 PM
oh aye Pedro! and the message is clear to Scotland doubters...away and bile yer heid!Whats the message ..?

marinello59
05-09-2009, 04:35 PM
:confused
Oh dear.

steviehfc
05-09-2009, 04:36 PM
oh aye Pedro! and the message is clear to Scotland doubters...away and bile yer heid!I doubt that we will qualify for the World Cup despite winning today, should i go and bile ma heid as well.:yawn:
That Scotland team is dire and a win against the mighty Macedonia isn't going to change that, but hey if it excites you don't let me p!ss on your parade.:rolleyes:

andyhibs
05-09-2009, 04:36 PM
wow and so early on a saturday night:confused:

California-Hibs
05-09-2009, 04:57 PM

Well said. Far too many people out there who just moan moan moan. Lots of Mr Negatives. Well done Scotland today, a good performance and two cracking goals! Wednesday night is going to be BRILLIANT! Good excitment :agree:

HH81
05-09-2009, 05:01 PM

Good win today Gramo. :top marks

Who's the bird in your pic :confused:

ArabHibee
05-09-2009, 05:04 PM
Good win today Gramo. :top marks

Who's the bird in your pic :confused:

Some bird from the letters, I believe. :cool2:

Judas Iscariot
05-09-2009, 05:05 PM
Garmo, shouldn't you be out celebrating a fantastic victory against the mighty Macendonia instead of being on here 5mins after FT?

HH81
05-09-2009, 05:08 PM
Garmo, shouldn't you be out celebrating a fantastic victory against the mighty Macendonia instead of being on here 5mins after FT?

I agree when he tells me who the bird is :greengrin

joe breezy
05-09-2009, 05:11 PM
If any English Hibs fans wanted Scotland to lose fair enough, don't see many Scots supporting England.

Judas Iscariot
05-09-2009, 05:13 PM
I agree when he tells me who the bird is :greengrin

It's no gonna be HIS bird is it now :cool2:

ancient hibee
05-09-2009, 05:19 PM
Is that some Beatles tribute band?

HH81
05-09-2009, 05:27 PM
It's no gonna be HIS bird is it now :cool2:

Never know last time i seen him he had just been on a date night before :agree::greengrin

Feed McGraw
05-09-2009, 05:31 PM
I felt very proud today that the first Scotland goal had a " made in Easter Road " feel about it. Laid on by Fletcher and scored by Brown. Whittaker played well too. These three guys helped give us one of Hibs greatest days on 18th March 2007 and it was great to see them all on the park today.

givescotlandfreedom
05-09-2009, 05:44 PM
I'm quite patriotic but not interested in the Scotland score much though I would never want Scotland to lose. The GFA do more harm than good to Scottish football IMO and represent Glasgow's interest rather than Scotland's so splashing I'd rather spend my money going to watch Hibs next week than give them money, maybe like the OP who didn't appear to be at the game today. Silly thread anyway IMO.

stu in nottingham
05-09-2009, 05:51 PM
I'm really happy that Scotland have secured the win and kept us in with a chance. I'm sure the vast majority of Scots who care in the slightest about football will be thinking the same way this evening.

For those that don't care, well that's fair enough - that's their choice. It doesn't really concern me.

Well done Scotland.

BEEJ
05-09-2009, 06:06 PM
I felt very proud today that the first Scotland goal had a " made in Easter Road " feel about it. Laid on by Fletcher and scored by Brown. Whittaker played well too. These three guys helped give us one of Hibs greatest days on 18th March 2007 and it was great to see them all on the park today.
:agree:

Good to see.

blackpoolhibs
05-09-2009, 06:42 PM
Is it just me, but i read this message board, and yes there were some that couldnt care less if we won, but i dont remember anyone coming out and saying they hoped scotland lost? I watched the game, i cheered when we scored. I was proud to say to my friends, this player, and that player used to play for Hibs. Yes a very good win, a good second half performance. Well done scotland.

The Voice Of Reason
05-09-2009, 06:46 PM
A much better 2nd half from Scotland against the mighty Macedonians.

I happen to think that a carefree Holland will hump us on Wed night.....does that mean I am a "Judas" or a realist ?!?!?

McFadden will be a miss. We need loads of luck on Wed night, a great performance from us and a sh*te performance from Holland.

Still think they will hump us though.....:boo hoo:

The Voice Of Reason
05-09-2009, 06:47 PM
Is it just me, but i read this message board, and yes there were some that couldnt care less if we won, but i dont remember anyone coming out and saying they hoped scotland lost? I watched the game, i cheered when we scored. I was proud to say to my friends, this player, and that player used to play for Hibs. Yes a very good win, a good second half performance. Well done scotland.

No BH, it is not just you. I also cannot recall any Scottish Hibs fan who posts on here saying that they hoped Scotland lose.

blueisthecolour
05-09-2009, 06:49 PM
Did anyone say they wanted scotland to lose today?

Killiehibbie
05-09-2009, 06:50 PM

That's what I thought as well. A lot of people can't be bothered with the braveheart extras, Burley, SFA or many other things associated with Scotland games but show me a post where it says I( insert name) hope my country gets beat.

ArabHibee
05-09-2009, 06:56 PM
That's what I thought as well. A lot of people can't be bothered with the braveheart extras, Burley, SFA or many other things associated with Scotland games but show me a post where it says I( insert name) hope my country gets beat.

I (:slipper:) hope my country gets beat.

:tee hee:

Killiehibbie
05-09-2009, 07:05 PM

A lot of sore bums if the entire country gets that.

euro Hibby
05-09-2009, 08:13 PM
agreed don't believe anyone hoped Scotland would not win. Just people tired of how the games run, the SFA and how average we are...... I don't think we have any world class players today and thats a pity.......

Lewis77
05-09-2009, 08:19 PM

Get um telt man!!!! lol Pished masen laughin there like!

Removed
05-09-2009, 08:28 PM

:faf: :faf: :faf:

but they're no his country :blah: :blah: :blah:, he's in the tartin army :saltireflag

The Harp
05-09-2009, 08:51 PM

I've been saying the same to anybody that'll listen ... the crucial first goal today was made and executed by players whose talents were honed at ER. :agree:

--------
05-09-2009, 08:51 PM

That's me. I have no time for the tartan appendages to the national team, the SFA who so mis-manage the team, or some of the idiots who're picked for the team. But I would never hope for Scotland to lose a football match. Nor has anyone on this forum - no one Scots, that is. Those who say so are either drunk or as daft as George Peat.

But this is just Margo trolling for mischief again, and it's best in my experience to humour him until his mum gets him off to bed.

A decent result for Scotland today, in spite of everything, and the other result in the group went our way for once.

But I've been watching Scotland FAR TOO LONG to predict anything about Wednesday night and the Dutch game. Except to say that we'll miss McFadden, and that even with him in the team, the Dutch look to have far too much firepower for us to beat them.

I think we have just under 96 hours left in this World Cup, but I'll be delighted if the team prove me wrong. Does that make me a Judas?

Anyone want to start a Glorious Loyalty Oath Crusade? :devil:

stu in nottingham
05-09-2009, 08:55 PM
I think we have just under 96 hours left in this World Cup, but I'll be delighted if the team prove me wrong. Does that make me a Judas?

Not at all Doddie. In fact I hope the Scotland players take exactly the same attitude into the game against Holland.

--------
05-09-2009, 08:59 PM
Not at all Doddie. In fact I hope the Scotland players take exactly the same attitude into the game against Holland.

Nothing to lose, Stu. :agree:

We've beaten them before now when we were considered to have no chance at all.

Pity that was in 1978 in Argentina, and we still went out of the Cup.... :rolleyes:

iwasthere1972
05-09-2009, 09:02 PM

Someone should remind him that he only scored 5 goals for Scotland. :wink:

Ed De Gramo
05-09-2009, 09:28 PM
Hibs.net mobile :greengrin

And I still stand by it :agree:

The bird is the lead singer fae Alphabeat :thumbsup:

Steve20
05-09-2009, 10:01 PM
Did anyone say they wanted scotland to lose today?

I can't remember anyone saying they did. However, I take it this is aimed at people like myself who have said they do not give a **** if Scotland win or lose.

Sad really.

AFKA5814_Hibs
05-09-2009, 10:22 PM
I will admit I don't get as excited about a Scotland game as I do a Hibs game. Doesn't say I don't like to see Scotland win, I do, but Hibs will always come first for me.

A Scotland win - I'm happy
A Hibs win - I'm delighted

A Scotland defeat - I'm unhappy
A Hibs defeat - I'm distraught.

I would think many people are in the same boat when it comes to club v country, not just in this country but in every country. I don't think anybody here are happy to see Scotland lose, but are less than bothered about it than a Hibs game.

Killiehibbie
05-09-2009, 10:55 PM
I remember nearly getting into a fight years ago in the pub. Question was asked Hibs win European Cup or Scotland win World Cup what would you prefer? I said Hibs to win as it would also mean we won the League as well. A couple of guys just couldn't understand any Scottish person who would put club before country. When I pointed out players had been doing it for years they calmed down a bit.

blackpoolhibs
05-09-2009, 10:55 PM

Stand by what? Name and shame those who wanted us to lose, go on i dare you. And G19 so last year. :faf:

iwasthere1972
05-09-2009, 10:58 PM

She doesnae look old enough to even know her alphabet. :duck:

Hiber-nation
06-09-2009, 12:15 PM
I will admit I don't get as excited about a Scotland game as I do a Hibs game. Doesn't say I don't like to see Scotland win, I do, but Hibs will always come first for me.

A Scotland win - I'm happy
A Hibs win - I'm delighted

A Scotland defeat - I'm unhappy
A Hibs defeat - I'm distraught.

I would think many people are in the same boat when it comes to club v country, not just in this country but in every country. I don't think anybody here are happy to see Scotland lose, but are less than bothered about it than a Hibs game.

I'm about the same, still go to most Scotland home games and was there yesterday - but the thing that continues to annoy me is all that doe a deer nonsense the Tartan Army insist on singing - wtf is that all about?

blackpoolhibs
06-09-2009, 12:19 PM
Still no names on those who wanted Scotland to lose. There was not any, was there Margo?:confused:

BigKev
06-09-2009, 12:41 PM
I'm about the same, still go to most Scotland home games and was there yesterday - but the thing that continues to annoy me is all that doe a deer nonsense the Tartan Army insist on singing - wtf is that all about?

I'm with you on that - I refuse to join in and hope it'll one day just fade into oblivion :agree:

The_Horde
06-09-2009, 12:44 PM

Mars bar in yer pocket? :wink:

Gus
06-09-2009, 12:46 PM
Mars bar in yer pocket? :wink:

mini mars bar :agree:

Lewis77
06-09-2009, 01:13 PM

Super King size Chrimbo Toblerone ! :wink:

Chuckie
06-09-2009, 01:17 PM

:faf:

Storar
06-09-2009, 02:06 PM

:agree: fun size milky bar

Storar
06-09-2009, 02:07 PM

what a graceless, classless post:bitchy:

HH81
06-09-2009, 02:44 PM
what a graceless, classless post:bitchy:

Bully. :grr:

BEEJ
06-09-2009, 02:49 PM
Bully. :grr:
:confused: I don't follow that comment.

Unfortunately, the OP has set himself up for criticism with his puerile, attention-seeking rant. It was designed to draw a reaction and he's getting it.

HH81
06-09-2009, 03:01 PM

Unfortunately, the OP has set himself up for criticism with his puerile, attention-seeking rant. It was designed to draw a reaction and he's getting it.

Hmmmm.... never take me serious :greengrin

Just a joke.

Hank Schrader
06-09-2009, 03:14 PM

Gramo attention seeking? Surely not?:greengrin

Nando™
06-09-2009, 03:24 PM
Mon the Scots!

poolman
06-09-2009, 03:46 PM

Aye, thats a stoater that one, but I still dont think its as bad as that horrible noise that is "Flower of Scotland" sung by thon Ronnie Browne, it was an embarrassment

GET RID O IT :bitchy:

blackpoolhibs
06-09-2009, 03:55 PM
[/B]

Aye, thats a stoater that one, but I still dont think its as bad as that horrible noise that is "Flower of Scotland" sung by thon Ronnie Browne, it was an embarrassment

So thats what it was. :jamboak:

Golden Bear
06-09-2009, 03:59 PM
[/B]

Disagree - a lot depends on the way its sung. The song stirs the blood when it's played before the rugby internationals at Murrayfield and the players' sing it with a genuine passion.

However when its played at Hampden for some reason it comes across as a disjointed rabble and the players' look as though they couldn't care a toss.

I blame Gordon Smith myself.

:wink:

Judas Iscariot
06-09-2009, 07:06 PM
Garmo proclaims..

erin go bragh
06-09-2009, 07:31 PM
If any English Hibs fans wanted Scotland to lose fair enough, don't see many Scots supporting England.
hello . huns and diet huns have an english following element:grr:have you not heard the songs or seen the flags

Dashing Bob S
07-09-2009, 02:35 PM
I don't think I ever said that I wanted Scotland to lose. I did say that I find them an embarrasment to this country as an outfit, football-wise, culturally and administratively.

If they won every game they played with style aplomb, and gave a chance to flair players irrespective of the club jersey they wore, there would be no happier man in this country than I.

Alas, I saw a pretty dull, uninspiring outfit, who have as much chance of making South Africa as I have of wearing anything from Gap or Top Shop.

blackpoolhibs
07-09-2009, 02:36 PM
I don't think I ever said that I wanted Scotland to lose. I did say that I find them an embarrasment to this country as an outfit, football-wise, culturally and administratively.

If they won every game they played with style aplomb, and gave a chance to flair players irrespective of the club jersey they wore, there would be no happier man in this country than I.

Alas, I saw a pretty dull, uninspiring outfit, who have as much chance of making South Africa as I have of wearing anything from Gap or Top Shop.

:faf::faf::faf:

iwasthere1972
07-09-2009, 02:50 PM

:hilarious

Chuckie
09-09-2009, 09:57 PM
I'm glad Scotland lost and look forward to the nonsense tartan army threads dissipating.

This is a Hibs board.

Glory Glory.

Judas Iscariot
09-09-2009, 10:01 PM
I'm glad Scotland lost and look forward to the nonsense tartan army threads dissipating.

This is a Hibs board.

Glory Glory.

Glassless and craceless post..

Where's Morga..

Samaritans hotline buzzing?

Chuckie
09-09-2009, 10:09 PM
Glassless and craceless post..

Where's Morga..

Samaritans hotline buzzing?

Contradicting himself on other threads probably..

Mon the Hibees..

Nando™
10-09-2009, 09:13 AM
Tagged oot yer nut.

Alicky Ranks
10-09-2009, 09:18 AM

This is a Hibs board.

Glory Glory.

I'm not 'glad' Scotland lost, but I do like to see the back of international weeks so we can get back to the football that matters. Now that Scotland are banished to the football wilderness again we can all focus on what this board is best for, discussing the Hibees :agree:

--------
10-09-2009, 09:23 AM
it appears that those of us who are brassed off with the hopeless way our national football team is organised, and say so, are by definition 'traitors' who 'want Scotland to lose'.

I've encountered this attitude from TA members since before there ever was a TA.

It sucks.

Teo10
10-09-2009, 09:26 AM
Tagged oot yer nut.

Judas Iscariot
10-09-2009, 09:29 AM

:whistle:

Dashing Bob S
10-09-2009, 09:53 AM
it appears that those of us who are brassed off with the hopeless way our national football team is organised, and say so, are by definition 'traitors' who 'want Scotland to lose'.

I've encountered this attitude from TA members since before there ever was a TA.

It sucks.

Agree completely. Yes, it's depressing, but it's been happening for so long now that I refuse to take any of it seriously and insist upon having a bit of fun with it.

And until this becomes a Scotland messageboard, I shall continue to exercise that right.

--------
10-09-2009, 10:18 AM
Agree completely. Yes, it's depressing, but it's been happening for so long now that I refuse to take any of it seriously and insist upon having a bit of fun with it.

And until this becomes a Scotland messageboard, I shall continue to exercise that right.

Any bets the suits'll organise a couple of 'glamour friendlies' at Hampden before the WC - against teams that actually qualified?

And Hampden will be well-filled? :cool2:

Dashing Bob S
10-09-2009, 10:51 AM
Any bets the suits'll organise a couple of 'glamour friendlies' at Hampden before the WC - against teams that actually qualified?

And Hampden will be well-filled? :cool2:

I realluy hope and pray that this is one occassion, where as the old song goes, 'we won't get fooled again'. But until something changes radically behind the scenes in Scottish football, I refuse to treat the national side as anything other than the joke it is.

Bob1875
10-09-2009, 11:17 AM

It sucks.

There are people on here who support and love their country just as much as they do Hibs and you want to start threads saying 'at least England won' and as you put it 'have a little fun.' pathetic. Im hurting about last night and even if our sfa are a bunch of OF loving ****s it's still our nation and I was proud of the way we played last night.

Storar
11-09-2009, 07:26 PM
:whistle:

:tin hat:

poolman
11-09-2009, 07:35 PM
There are people on here who support and love their country just as much as they do Hibs and you want to start threads saying 'at least England won' and as you put it 'have a little fun.' pathetic. Im hurting about last night and even if our sfa are a bunch of OF loving ****s it's still our nation and I was proud of the way we played last night.

Have to agree with DBS to a degree here

We all want Scotland to do well but in my case its not the same since I used to go and watch them

Its like a second rate bunch of amateurs trying to run an amateur team at times

IMHO it all started with Bertie Volgts giving out caps to all and sundry whoever got a mention in the papers

But as much as I always want Scotland to do well and win I have never come close to the feeling I get wanting Hibs to do well :agree:

Only my HO tho

majorhibs
11-09-2009, 11:08 PM

It sucks.

You again! No big surprise there. You and your sycophants come out with crap about Scotland & Scotlands supporters regularly but its time you just shut your bucket mouth and stopped this criticising from afar, when you and your other fellow halfwits decide to stop watching Scotland games on TV and keep your silly wee comments where they belong which is nowhere as you dont want to turn up and support the team the better. Then those of us who do ACTUALLY attend and who all have our own opinion of where its going right or wrong will actually be able to be heard instead of you and all the other plastic weedgie press who dont care for Scotland but just love to dive in with the big steel toe capped doccy martins when they see somebody who looks worth bootin while theyre down. For your info "Doddie" I as a Scotland fan have never once looked for or described myself as in the "TA" that YOU & your mates love to knock, I dont run around branding anyone "traitors", without saying "you want Scotland to lose" imo the reason the Scotland supporters you have come across who thought your attitude stunk were, imo, probably spot on, cos far as I am concerned, opinionated erses like yourself who spout on about what you dont like, and seem to think that cos you have been around longer than a particular phrase or name like the "TA" which I dont like although I go to all games I can home or away, but you wee man should get off that horse and stop slating Scotland, I dont doubt your Hibs credentials and the fact youve been to Scotland games in the past but this nowadays trend to slate Scotland and their performances I sort of expect from youngsters who have only seen failures to qualify for big tourneys, but from the likes of DBS, and then a slaver like you who is an old geezer who witnessed good Scotland teams, put up or shut up! Keep yer negative bile to yourself, comment if its constructive, or go watch the cricket on sky sports.

blackpoolhibs
11-09-2009, 11:19 PM
So to get back to the original point, who were these people who wanted us to lose? They should be outed. :faf:

One Day Soon
12-09-2009, 12:24 AM
You again! No big surprise there. You and your sycophants come out with crap about Scotland & Scotlands supporters regularly but its time you just shut your bucket mouth and stopped this criticising from afar, when you and your other fellow halfwits decide to stop watching Scotland games on TV and keep your silly wee comments where they belong which is nowhere as you dont want to turn up and support the team the better. Then those of us who do ACTUALLY attend and who all have our own opinion of where its going right or wrong will actually be able to be heard instead of you and all the other plastic weedgie press who dont care for Scotland but just love to dive in with the big steel toe capped doccy martins when they see somebody who looks worth bootin while theyre down. For your info "Doddie" I as a Scotland fan have never once looked for or described myself as in the "TA" that YOU & your mates love to knock, I dont run around branding anyone "traitors", without saying "you want Scotland to lose" imo the reason the Scotland supporters you have come across who thought your attitude stunk were, imo, probably spot on, cos far as I am concerned, opinionated erses like yourself who spout on about what you dont like, and seem to think that cos you have been around longer than a particular phrase or name like the "TA" which I dont like although I go to all games I can home or away, but you wee man should get off that horse and stop slating Scotland, I dont doubt your Hibs credentials and the fact youve been to Scotland games in the past but this nowadays trend to slate Scotland and their performances I sort of expect from youngsters who have only seen failures to qualify for big tourneys, but from the likes of DBS, and then a slaver like you who is an old geezer who witnessed good Scotland teams, put up or shut up! Keep yer negative bile to yourself, comment if its constructive, or go watch the cricket on sky sports.

If that is a spoof contribution it's quite funny, if it's for real then it is complete cobblers.

There is a serious (though very depressing and tiresomely familiar) debate to be had about exactly how and why Scottish football got hijacked by shocking organisation and over competitiveness at youth level, the self-interest of the ugly sisters at senior level and the blinkered private club ethos of the various administrators at the top.

Distorted by Thatcher's ludicrously over heavy laws on all seater stadia, the destruction of the saturday pilgrimage by the dictats of live television, the addicted mainlining of the television fees by the clubs, the systemic failure to invest in youth and home grown talent and the importation of droves of mediocre foreign players all helped to wreck the fabric of Scottish football. Less damaging in England because the scale is bigger, these effects and others in Scotland combined with the inability of the governing bodies to act in anything other than the interest of the suits and blazers has left us light years away from where we should be.

For what its worth I think Burley is on the road to getting more out of the national team than we have seen for many years. But that requires patience and focus so the SFA will no doubt choose to throw him to the tabloids in favour of an ugly sister replacement.

When various posters on here say that they cannot be bothered with Scotland and the sheer brain battering futility of getting your hopes up only to be gutted over and over again frankly its completely understandable. For me the guys at the top right through to the 'institution' that the TA has become (it seems like the Bay City Rollers on tour meets Fat B4st4rd from Austin Powers) is just one continuous complacent acceptance that we are where we should be. I wonder what the players think about having Julie Andrews sung to them during the game?

We could be and could do a lot better. We should be and should do a lot better. This though is like alcoholism - first we have to admit that we have a problem and we have to be capable of naming it.

I'm sick of Bremner failing to connect at the back post against Brazil in '74, sick of Teofilio Cubillas bending the ball around the smallest Scotsman on the park in Macari in '78 and us going out despite Gemmill's dream goal, unable to watch Miller and Hansen faling over each other in Spain against the Soviet Union in '82, sick of the Uruguayans kicking us off the park in Mexico in '86 while the referee did nothing and losing to Costa Rica - COSTA RICA!!! in '90 in Italy.

But at least in those instances we were there and able to imagine the possibility of getting past the first round for the first time. Now its all but unimaginable that we even qualify for the world cup or european championships. So as far as I'm concerned Doddie, Dashing Bob and anyone else can say and write whatever they like about the SFA, the Scottish team, the TA and anything else because everything - absolutely everything - is up for grabs until the sorry mess that our game has become is put right.

I feel the same about this as I did about Hibs under Mixu - saluting the Titanic as it slips below the waves doesn't stop it from sliding to the bottom of the ocean. It may be admirable or it may not but it doesn't make it right. It is not an accident that we have been this bad for this long. It is cause and effect. Until we address the causes the effects will remain the same.

Anyway never mind all that, let's just get guttered and hope it all changes somehow eh? Doe, a deer, a female deer....

BEEJ
12-09-2009, 09:19 AM
We could be and could do a lot better. We should be and should do a lot better. This though is like alcoholism - first we have to admit that we have a problem and we have to be capable of naming it.

I'm sick of Bremner failing to connect at the back post against Brazil in '74, sick of Teofilio Cubillas bending the ball around the smallest Scotsman on the park in Macari in '78 and us going out despite Gemmill's dream goal, unable to watch Miller and Hansen faling over each other in Spain against the Soviet Union in '82, sick of the Uruguayans kicking us off the park in Mexico in '86 while the referee did nothing and losing to Costa Rica - COSTA RICA!!! in '90 in Italy.

But at least in those instances we were there and able to imagine the possibility of getting past the first round for the first time. Now its all but unimaginable that we even qualify for the world cup or european championships. So as far as I'm concerned Doddie, Dashing Bob and anyone else can say and write whatever they like about the SFA, the Scottish team, the TA and anything else because everything - absolutely everything - is up for grabs until the sorry mess that our game has become is put right.

I feel the same about this as I did about Hibs under Mixu - saluting the Titanic as it slips below the waves doesn't stop it from sliding to the bottom of the ocean. It may be admirable or it may not but it doesn't make it right. It is not an accident that we have been this bad for this long. It is cause and effect. Until we address the causes the effects will remain the same.

Anyway never mind all that, let's just get guttered and hope it all changes somehow eh? Doe, a deer, a female deer....
:top marks

Dashing Bob S
12-09-2009, 09:44 AM
If that is a spoof contribution it's quite funny, if it's for real then it is complete cobblers.

There is a serious (though very depressing and tiresomely familiar) debate to be had about exactly how and why Scottish football got hijacked by shocking organisation and over competitiveness at youth level, the self-interest of the ugly sisters at senior level and the blinkered private club ethos of the various administrators at the top.

Distorted by Thatcher's ludicrously over heavy laws on all seater stadia, the destruction of the saturday pilgrimage by the dictats of live television, the addicted mainlining of the television fees by the clubs, the systemic failure to invest in youth and home grown talent and the importation of droves of mediocre foreign players all helped to wreck the fabric of Scottish football. Less damaging in England because the scale is bigger, these effects and others in Scotland combined with the inability of the governing bodies to act in anything other than the interest of the suits and blazers has left us light years away from where we should be.

For what its worth I think Burley is on the road to getting more out of the national team than we have seen for many years. But that requires patience and focus so the SFA will no doubt choose to throw him to the tabloids in favour of an ugly sister replacement.

When various posters on here say that they cannot be bothered with Scotland and the sheer brain battering futility of getting your hopes up only to be gutted over and over again frankly its completely understandable. For me the guys at the top right through to the 'institution' that the TA has become (it seems like the Bay City Rollers on tour meets Fat B4st4rd from Austin Powers) is just one continuous complacent acceptance that we are where we should be. I wonder what the players think about having Julie Andrews sung to them during the game?

An absolute corker of a post, well done.

Beefster
12-09-2009, 01:31 PM

This is utterly brilliant. Except for the lack of paragraphs and full stops.

--------
12-09-2009, 01:57 PM

Have I upset you, major? :devil:

--------
12-09-2009, 05:33 PM

:top marks Sums up my feelings exactly. Especially the wee bit in bold. Who was it said, "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser"?

majorhibs
17-09-2009, 09:35 PM

Complete cobblers, eh? Perhaps you and your mates can manage to distinguish between Hibs & Scotland as every generation of players & supporters since football was invented managed to do till now, but then again nowadays everybody has to have a blame figure, the fact Scotland fans go out to games and enjoy themselves, and get a reputation while doing it for being well behaved and well recieved, seems to sit heavy with muppets like traynor and our own doddie, who obviously has naebody listening to his services every sunday so feels he has to come on here & preach, cannae quite work out how someone cosmopolitan & antiŽdark side o edinburgh as D.B.S can get himself embroiled in this nation bashing nonsense tho, but listen lads, some of us who go dont call ourselves TA, effin certainly dont sing that doe nonsense (mainly northern cousins, but they support the same team even if they do make you cringe) but you have a couple of good points there amongst a lot of nonsense, politics, well you tell me, how is involving the biggest bunch of work shy, lazy rip off merchants in Britains existence going to move things forward? Politicians, keep them. As fer you geniuses slagging off Scotland- guess what- we will live without you- we have done till now, and will continue to do so in future- you lot will just have to start watching eastenders or coronation street for something you want to find fault in. Adios. You wont be missed. :bye:

Chuckie
18-09-2009, 01:04 PM
Complete cobblers, eh? Perhaps you and your mates can manage to distinguish between Hibs & Scotland as every generation of players & supporters since football was invented managed to do till now, but then again nowadays everybody has to have a blame figure, the fact Scotland fans go out to games and enjoy themselves, and get a reputation while doing it for being well behaved and well recieved, seems to sit heavy with muppets like traynor and our own doddie, who obviously has naebody listening to his services every sunday so feels he has to come on here & preach, cannae quite work out how someone cosmopolitan & antiŽdark side o edinburgh as D.B.S can get himself embroiled in this nation bashing nonsense tho, but listen lads, some of us who go dont call ourselves TA, effin certainly dont sing that doe nonsense (mainly northern cousins, but they support the same team even if they do make you cringe) but you have a couple of good points there amongst a lot of nonsense, politics, well you tell me, how is involving the biggest bunch of work shy, lazy rip off merchants in Britains existence going to move things forward? Politicians, keep them. As fer you geniuses slagging off Scotland- guess what- we will live without you- we have done till now, and will continue to do so in future- you lot will just have to start watching eastenders or coronation street for something you want to find fault in. Adios. You wont be missed. :bye:

You can stick your tartan army up your arse.

:bye:

:flag:

H18sry
18-09-2009, 01:23 PM
You can stick your tartan army up your arse.

:bye:

:flag:

Another well constructed and well thought contribution there Chuckie:rolleyes:

Chuckie
18-09-2009, 01:47 PM
Another well constructed and well thought contribution there Chuckie:rolleyes:

Cheers man.

Mag7
18-09-2009, 01:53 PM

That's all well and good but I think it's the fact so many fans seem to be content to just turn up for the bevvy and a sing-song and shrug their shoulders at a sixth (!!) successive failure to qualify for a major tournament that has caused the rise in 'nation bashing' as you call it. IMHO the fact we failed to even finish second in our easiest group for years (and yet the manager keeps his job :confused:) should prompt a stronger reaction than 'I support Scotland through thick and thin and will continue to do so'. Blind faith in your national team, as a consistenly failing Scotland have proved for many years now, will get you nowhere. Loyalty can be an admirable quality but there can come a time when it is misplaced, and in the case of the Scottish national team that time came some time ago. 'Village idiots' as DBS once compared the TA to, is putting it too strong, but how about some anger? Or even a hint of annoyance?!

'When you hear the voice of the Tartan Army boys we'll be coming...etc' Well, nobody's heard their voice on the big stage since 1998 (and won't until at least 2012) but hey, what the hell? As long as we keep singing lads maybe it'll all come good one day.

H18sry
18-09-2009, 02:12 PM
That's all well and good but I think it's the fact so many fans seem to be content to just turn up for the bevvy and a sing-song and shrug their shoulders at a sixth (!!) successive failure to qualify for a major tournament that has caused the rise in 'nation bashing' as you call it. IMHO the fact we failed to even finish second in our easiest group for years (and yet the manager keeps his job :confused:) should prompt a stronger reaction than 'I support Scotland through thick and thin and will continue to do so'. Blind faith in your national team, as a consistenly failing Scotland have proved for many years now, will get you nowhere. Loyalty can be an admirable quality but there can come a time when it is misplaced, and in the case of the Scottish national team that time came some time ago. 'Village idiots' as DBS once compared the TA to, is putting it too strong, but how about some anger? Or even a hint of annoyance?!

'When you hear the voice of the Tartan Army boys we'll be coming...etc' Well, nobody's heard their voice on the big stage since 1998 (and won't until at least 2012) but hey, what the hell? As long as we keep singing lads maybe it'll all come good one day.

Scotland, have as a nation have no divine right to qualify, for any tournament's, but yes we try, whilst the manager is not blameless, you have to look at the reason's behind this, we need everybody available for selection [as we do not have a great pool of players plying there trade in the top leagues, around the world as we have in the past.] and the Ipox quartet who shat on the nation are probably the biggest single reason why we never qualified.

I watch Scotland home and away, as I watch Hibs home and selected away games, but with both team's I go more in hope than in anticipation at watching my team win, yes I feel bitterly disappointed when the result goes against us, but I dont lock myself away, I just get on with life, after all it's only a game.

People getting on each others back's do nothing to help the situation, and only results in them falling out, everybody has an opinion, and it will be a long time coming before everybody is singing from the same hymn book,be it a Hibs or a Scotland one.