PDA

View Full Version : Worst Hibs Starting 11

hibee1ryan
04-09-2009, 11:45 PM
Opinions on the worst starting 11 from the last few years?

include subs if u wish..

crewetollhibee
05-09-2009, 04:19 AM
How about : Mike McDonald , Rab Kilgour , Duncan Lambie, Andy Millen and Joe T at the back. Midfield - Derek Rodier , Chris Jackson , Andy Watson and Willie Murray. Up front - Joe Reid and Willie Jamieson. Subs - Zibi , DVZ , Ray Wilkins , Mark Caughey and Bobby Torrance. Just finished nightshift. Will never get to sleep now !!!:greengrin

The_Todd
05-09-2009, 07:06 AM
DVZ? He wasn't that bad! Compared to recent fullbacks like Whittaker and Murphy maybe but not in the grand scheme of things...

judas
05-09-2009, 07:26 AM
Ray Wilkins. He he.

What about Greg Miller, Graeme Miller, Jamie Mcquilken and David Elliot?

Leitherhibs
05-09-2009, 09:14 AM
Zibi
DVZ Murdock Edge
Noubissie Bannerman Chisholm Nicol Reid
Konte Power

Subs
Simon Brown
Alan Smart
Paul Holsgrove
Andy Dow
Jaarko Wiss
Klaus Dietrich
Eduardo Hurtado
Peter Guggi

whereswallace?
05-09-2009, 09:28 AM
Chuck in AOB to complete any line up :greengrin

ArabHibee
05-09-2009, 09:45 AM
Zibi
DVZ Murdock Edge
Konte Power

Subs
Simon Brown
Alan Smart
Paul Holsgrove
Andy Dow
Jaarko Wiss
Klaus Dietrich
Eduardo Hurtado
Peter Guggi

:agree:
One of the few 6 foot odd strikers that jumped down the way!

Phil D. Rolls
05-09-2009, 09:56 AM
How about : Mike McDonald , Rab Kilgour , Duncan Lambie, Andy Millen and Joe T at the back. Midfield - Derek Rodier , Chris Jackson , Andy Watson and Willie Murray. Up front - Joe Reid and Willie Jamieson. Subs - Zibi , DVZ , Ray Wilkins , Mark Caughey and Bobby Torrance. Just finished nightshift. Will never get to sleep now !!!:greengrin

The only ones I can agree with here are Lambie, Tortalano, Caughey and Torrance. The others all did a decent turn for us when they played, quite a few of them were actually reserve players who were drafted in when first teamers were out.

Lambie got the job because his brother was the trainer, and I have to say he is one of the worst players I have seen at Hibs. Caughey might have been a decent enough player - he was at the 82 World Cup with Northern Ireland, but I reckon he just saw full time football as an excuse to get bevvied; Tortolano mystifies me, was it nerves or was he genuinely pants, we will never know; Torrance was just another useless striker signed by Ned towards the end of his reign, I could also include Joe Ward and Gerry O'Brien.

--------
05-09-2009, 10:22 AM
DVZ? He wasn't that bad! Compared to recent fullbacks like Whittaker and Murphy maybe but not in the grand scheme of things...

You're kidding, right?

I've watched a lot of Hibs RBS, and DVZ was just about the worst.

Billy Simpson, Bobby Duncan, Chris Shevlane, Billy McEwan, John Brownlie, Alan Sneddon, Willie Miller, Alen Orman, DLC, Whittaker .... NONE of those would have been as monumentally clueless as DVZ was last I saw him.

I'd rather have seen Calum 'Mad Dog' Milne playing in the position.

PC Stamp
05-09-2009, 10:41 AM
Stuart Turnbull after Duncan Lambie, is a shoe in for any worst ever starting XI.

Considering some of the luminaries that have worn the no.4 shirt throughout Hibernian's history, he should never have been allowed anywhere near it. I wouldn't even have given him a no. 44 shirt! :grr:

PS - can't believe anyone could include Joe T amongst worst players. If those who had greater ability gave the same in effort asd Joe did we'd never have gone wrong! He scored against Hearts and had his own song! Worst ever - never!

Hainan Hibs
05-09-2009, 10:45 AM
I'd chuck in Tony Caig as worst keeper. Zibbi obviously doesn't need explaining but a bag of cement is more capable of moving than Caig, it was like he was wearing a bag of bricks around each foot.

Ringothedog
05-09-2009, 10:50 AM
My Team would be:

Zibi

Stuart Turnbull Duncan Lambie Klaus Dietrich Zarabi

Graham Fyfe Earl Jean Greg Miller Gerry O'Brien

Joe Ward Paul Tosh

Hibercelona
05-09-2009, 10:54 AM
Ward Hurtado Konte Power Tosh

Would any of these 5 score if you put them all up front?

Ringothedog
05-09-2009, 10:57 AM

Nope, not even in the proverbial barrell

HibeeUnderwood
05-09-2009, 11:01 AM
I did players from the last decade.

GK Malkowski

DR Gathuessi
DC Murdock
DC Zambernardi
DL Edge

MR Hartley
MC Wiss
MC Nicol
ML Reid

FC Hurtado
FC Sowumni

Subs
Gottskalkson
Renwick
Fenwick
Chisholm
Andrews
Sar-Temsoury
Smart

Owain_1987
05-09-2009, 11:02 AM
Worse Hibs team of the last few years;

------------------------------Brown-------------------------------

Van Zantan-----------McCann (as a centre half)--Murdock---Zarabi

AOB-----------Chisham----------------Lynch---------------Reid

-----------------------Konte--------------Sowumni

--------
05-09-2009, 11:03 AM

You're most persuasive, young sir, but....

The team you list there has the stuff of nightmares about it, but we've had MUCH worse players than those in our time.

Simon Brown and Zibi were much worse goalies than Mike McDonald. Mike was mad, but he wasn't a bad keeper all the time.

DVZ was (hard as it may be to believe it) worse than Rab Kilgour. (I never thought I'd ever compare Rab K favourably with any other player, but there you go....) Rab might have had a job catching you, but if he did, he'd make sure you never walked again. DVZ hasn't even got that bit right.

Goalkeeper - Simon Brown in his last days was absolutely the bubonic plague.

Back four - DVZ (see above), Ian Wilkinson (you won't remember him but he played four games after John McNamee went to Newcastle and he was HORRIBLE), Klaus Dietrich (EWWWWW!), and either Elliot or McQuilken of the Duff Jim era. Try McQuelliot?

Midfield - (we have a wealth of non-talent here, and we can't put them all in, but here goes) - Pat McCurdy, Graham Fyfe, Patrick Noubissie, Alan O'Brien. The last two need no introduction; Fyfe came with a surgically-constructed monstrosity we'll be coming to in a moment; and Pat McCurdy's only claim to fame (apart from somehow managing to score a goal) was his funny name.

Strikers Using the term VERY loosely indeed). We have a lots of candidates for the strikers' berths, but after long thought I have to say that Ally Scott (Frankenstein's Hun) has to have one place. I know he scored 4 goals. I don't know how he managed to do so - Dr F had put his feet on the wrong way round. But he was AWFUL. His partner is NOT, as some might think, Amadou Konte. AK managed 3 in 5 (yes, I was surprised too). Nor Tank Hurtado, slow as he was. Nor yet Jim Blair, the Waddling Wonder of Love Street. I give you Gregame Miller, the 4-legged, two-headed waste of space, time and money, who altogether scored 1 in all its games and proved once and for all that Miller Time was over.

They'll need a football (although most of them showed no sign in all their time at ER of having the faintest clue what a football was) and for that purpose I nominate Mark Caughey, the Irish Superstar, the New George Best, for whose signature we beat off the milling hordes of the lobotomised in 1986, never realising that Mark himself would, in his Hibernian career lasting 14 games too many, display all the signs of having been lobotomised himself.

Houchy
05-09-2009, 11:09 AM
Nope, not even in the proverbial barrell

Any one of them would still walk into the current Hearts team though:faf:

crewetollhibee
05-09-2009, 11:10 AM
Been watching Hibs for 40 years now and in my opinon DVZ is the worst right back I have seen at ER. Close call between him and Benny though ! At least Benny had 3 great games for Hibs - the 3 games against Der Hun in the 79 Cup Final [when he had Davie Cooper in his back pocket] and his hat-trick against the other smellies. Typical Hibs and Benny though that it was only a friendly !!!

Houchy
05-09-2009, 11:13 AM

GK Malkowski

DR Gathuessi
DC Murdock
DC Zambernardi
DL Edge

MR Hartley
MC Wiss
MC Nicol
ML Reid

FC Hurtado
FC Sowumni

Subs
Gottskalkson
Renwick
Fenwick
Chisholm
Andrews
Sar-Temsoury
Smart

Eh???????????:confused:

Fenwick was a great player for us, Andrews wasn't bad and I can't help but think that your view of Hartley is slighly skewed by his performances for Hearts/Celtc

crewetollhibee
05-09-2009, 11:18 AM

The team you list there has the stuff of nightmares about it, but we've had MUCH worse players than those in our time.

Simon Brown and Zibi were much worse goalies than Mike McDonald. Mike was mad, but he wasn't a bad keeper all the time.

DVZ was (hard as it may be to believe it) worse than Rab Kilgour. (I never thought I'd ever compare Rab K favourably with any other player, but there you go....) Rab might have had a job catching you, but if he did, he'd make sure you never walked again. DVZ hasn't even got that bit right.

Back four - DVZ (see above), Ian Wilkinson (you won't remember him but he played four games after John McNamee went to Newcastle and he was HORRIBLE), Klaus Dietrich (EWWWWW!), and either Elliot or McQuilken of the Duff Jim era. Try McQuelliot?

Midfield - (we have a wealth of non-talent here, and we can't put them all in, but here goes) - Pat McCurdy, Graham Fyfe, Patrick Noubissie, Alan O'Brien. The last two need no introduction; Fyfe came with a surgically-constructed monstrosity we'll be coming to in a moment; and Pat McCurdy's only claim to fame (apart from somehow managing to score a goal) was his funny name.

Strikers Using the term VERY loosely indeed). We have a lots of candidates for the strikers' berths, but after long thought I have to say that Ally Scott (Frankenstein's Hun) has to have one place. I know he scored 4 goals. I don't know how he managed to do so - Dr F had put his feet on the wrong way round. But he was AWFUL. His partner is NOT, as some might think, Amadou Konte. AK managed 3 in 5 (yes, I was surprised too). Nor Tank Hurtado, slow as he was. Nor yet Jim Blair, the Waddling Wonder of Love Street. I give you Gregame Miller, the 4-legged, two-headed waste of space, time and money, who altogether scored 1 in all its games and proved once and for all that Miller Time was over.

They'll need a football (although most of them showed no sign in all their time at ER of having the faintest clue what a football was) and for that purpose I nominate Mark Caughey, the Irish Superstar, the New George Best, for whose signature we beat off the milling hordes of the lobotomised in 1986, never realising that Mark himself would, in his Hibernian career lasting 14 games too many, display all the signs of having been lobotomised himself.
Great and considered response sir ! Amazing how many names have popped into my head this morning that I had managed to wipe from my memory. Willie Temperley for example - anyone else remember him ?:greengrin

frazeHFC
05-09-2009, 11:19 AM
Zibi
DVZMurdock Edge
Konte Power

Subs
Simon Brown
Alan Smart
Paul Holsgrove
Andy Dow
Jaarko Wiss
Klaus Dietrich
Eduardo Hurtado
Peter Guggi

They weren't that bad

Hibercelona
05-09-2009, 11:21 AM
Eh???????????:confused:

Fenwick was a great player for us, Andrews wasn't bad and I can't help but think that your view of Hartley is slighly skewed by his performances for Hearts/Celtc

I think he's referring to Hartley's performances at Hibs.

He was gash. :agree:

crewetollhibee
05-09-2009, 11:27 AM
Stuart Turnbull after Duncan Lambie, is a shoe in for any worst ever starting XI.

Considering some of the luminaries that have worn the no.4 shirt throughout Hibernian's history, he should never have been allowed anywhere near it. I wouldn't even have given him a no. 44 shirt! :grr:

PS - can't believe anyone could include Joe T amongst worst players. If those who had greater ability gave the same in effort asd Joe did we'd never have gone wrong! He scored against Hearts and had his own song! Worst ever - never!
Joe T was acknowledged at for a long time as the best talent at ER but when it came to performance he just seemed to bottle it.Just in my opinion like !! And Stuart Turnbull YES !! Forgot about him how could I ?

--------
05-09-2009, 11:34 AM
Great and considered response sir ! Amazing how many names have popped into my head this morning that I had managed to wipe from my memory. Willie Temperley for example - anyone else remember him ?:greengrin

Willie Temperley????????????????

AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOLA
05-09-2009, 12:00 PM
Zibi
DVZ Murdock Edge
Konte Power

Subs
Simon Brown
Alan Smart
Paul Holsgrove
ANDY DOW
Jaarko Wiss
Klaus Dietrich
Eduardo Hurtado
Peter Guggi

Andy Dow was decent player for us i seem to remember, good left peg,

Tomsk
05-09-2009, 01:20 PM
Picking an all time worse XI is infinitely more difficult than choosing an all time best XI, but here goes:

Keeper: has to be Malkowski for that semi final alone, but a (dis)honourable mention too for Roddy McKenzie
Right back: Brazil. C'mon he wasn't called Benny for nothing. Over 200 games for Hibs and at least 150 of them were shockers
Left back: Tortolano, played out of position by Miller, Joe was cruelly and relentlessly exposed. Simply not a left back. Miller's fault
Centre backs: Murdock and Ricky Fleming. These two made Chris Hogg look like John Terry. Murdock's uncanny knack for heading the ball straight up in the air was matched by Ricky's never-tried-a-vuckin'-leg attitude while at the club
Right mid: Mike Conroy, made a career out of doing absolutely zip.
Cente mids: Stuart Turnbull, I salute your indefatigability, Sir. Until the appearance of a certain AOB in a Hibs line-up you were the worst Hibs player I ever clapped eyes on. Jas K Brown -- the set of circumstances that contrived together so that this guy ended up being a professional footballer are beyond my imagination
Left mid: step forward Alan O'Brien. It was a master strioke by Jimmy Saville to fix it for Alan to become a professional footballer 25 years after the programme ended. But there is no other logical explanation. Whatever the cause, the comedic results were never less than impressive.
Striker: Ally Scott, if he didn't play in roller skates it certainly looked like it.
Striker: Konte, one word -- ludicrous.

whereswallace?
05-09-2009, 01:30 PM

GK Malkowski

DR Gathuessi
DC Murdock
DC Zambernardi
DL Edge

MR Hartley
MC Wiss
MC Nicol
ML Reid

FC Hurtado
FC Sowumni

Subs
Gottskalkson
Renwick
Fenwick
Chisholm
Andrews
Sar-Temsoury
Smart

In my opinion these two did a good job for us and should be nowhere near a list of worst players to plat for us.

Ray_
05-09-2009, 01:37 PM

He scored the only goal in a Hibs win at Darkhied around 1978/9.

Expecting Rain
05-09-2009, 01:39 PM
Zibby-After much thought just shades it over Simon Brown.

Orman-Managed to play in the Champions League after leaving Hibs, just goes to prove miracles can happen.
Murdoch-Was at Man United once must have been once.
Brazil-Apparently he was good in training.
Tortalano-A myth that he could cross a ball most of his efforts ended up in the arms of the ball boys

Caughey-A winger who could neither beat a man or cross a ball.
Turnbull-Stuart ( not Eddie!) a midfielder who was allergic to physical contact.
Watson-Played for Aberdeen and Leeds absolutely dreadful.
O`Brien-Arrived as the new Ivan, afraid he did nothing of any note at Easter Road.

Scott-The imposter that arrived with Fyfe in a swap deal.
Hurtardo-A rare specimen a South American who couldn`t play football.

Ray_
05-09-2009, 01:51 PM

Ian Wilkinson He was a young player & played a few odd games after that in the league cup section games, replacing Sloop when he was injured. Didn't think he was that bad then, but compared to the likes of Sloop & Pat Stanton, who would also occasionally play in that role, most would look poor:greengrin. I thought ability wise there wasn't too much difference between Wilkinson & Alex Pringle, who more or less replaced Wilkinson as the back up player for that position.

Another LB to consider, I'll give you Mervyn Jones, John Greigs newphew, who was the first to replace our penalty taker supreme & captain, Joe Davis. At the time I thought Corp Jones, from Dad's Army would have been a better option. Thankfully Billy McEwan & then Shades took over in what had been a problem position [not for the last time in Hibs history].

Phil D. Rolls
05-09-2009, 01:59 PM

I remember when he scored against some Icelandic (?) outfit, Arthur Montford shouted "willie temperley scores his first goal for the big team". Arthur always was a bit of a case, because we all know who the big team are.

Hibee Mick
05-09-2009, 02:02 PM
Murdock's uncanny knack for heading the ball straight up in the air ......

Striker: Ally Scott, if he didn't play in roller skates it certainly looked like it.

:top marks

--------
05-09-2009, 02:44 PM
Ian Wilkinson He was a young player & played a few odd games after that in the league cup section games, replacing Sloop when he was injured. Didn't think he was that bad then, but compared to the likes of Sloop & Pat Stanton, who would also occasionally play in that role, most would look poor:greengrin. I thought ability wise there wasn't too much difference between Wilkinson & Alex Pringle, who more or less replaced Wilkinson as the back up player for that position.

Another LB to consider, I'll give you Mervyn Jones, John Greigs newphew, who was the first to replace our penalty taker supreme & captain, Joe Davis. At the time I thought Corp Jones, from Dad's Army would have been a better option. Thankfully Billy McEwan & then Shades took over in what had been a problem position [not for the last time in Hibs history].

I bow to your judgement regarding Ian W. Someone's just reminded me of Rikki Fleming (dunno why he always spelled his name that way - maybe that was the way his name was spelled) and he was MUCH worse than IW.

Oh dear, Jones. Yes. But was he as bad as McQuelliot?

heidtheba
05-09-2009, 02:49 PM
Surprised to see Andy Millen in one list - i thought he was a brilliant player at a time when we had some real dross.

Thought most of Duffy's signings were brutal - even ones that should have been good ie Rougier. Hated how he got rid of crunchie and lennon (who I think was a really good wee player when I saw him). Don't know if I hated them because his signings were rank even before they joined us or because he'd shifted some quality players out to make way for them. Didn't we have a riduculously large squad during his 'reign' and most of them were grim.

Baader
05-09-2009, 03:14 PM
Try McQuelliot?

Excellent (and somewhat frightening) amalgamation of possibly the worst two players I've ever seen at ER. To think they were both vying for the same position jist disnae bare thinking about. Think also we've had too much p I $h that was punted before we saw the absolute horrors of them which is why I've included only players who were able to show exactly how rank they were over at least a handful of games.

NOTE: To show their true horror potential the below should be played out of position...

GK Malkowski (furious even typing his name here!)

RB DVZ (probably is worse but cannae think of anyone at the moment)
CB Derek Anderson
CB Shelton Martis
LB McQuelliot (Take your f*$£@*g pick!)

RM Paul Tosh
CM Brian Grant
CM Ray Wilkins (for the sheer embarrassment and to think Miller thought he could do a job)
LM Alan O'Brien (or Mark Caughey)

CF Lee Power
CF Konte

EUGH. Off for a lie down now...

wee hay
05-09-2009, 03:29 PM
zibi

edge
murdock
zarabi
gauthaussi

nicol
nouboussie
chisholm
o brien

konte
sowunmmi

hiberactive
05-09-2009, 05:36 PM

GK Malkowski

DR Gathuessi
DC Murdock
DC Zambernardi
DL Edge

MR Hartley
MC Wiss
MC Nicol
ML Reid

FC Hurtado
FC Sowumni

Subs
Gottskalkson
Renwick
Fenwick
Chisholm
Andrews
Sar-Temsoury
Smart
Would have Fenwick in my team before Hogg any day.

The Sundance Kid
05-09-2009, 06:02 PM
Since I've started watching Hibs think it would have to be

Caig

Van Zanten
Murdoch
Martis
Zarabi

Kerr
Wiss
Keenan
O Brien

Konte
Hurtado

HibeeUnderwood
05-09-2009, 09:25 PM
in response to the 3 people quoting my selection in the order they posted

1. Hartley was gash! Thats why he was let go! :agree:

2. Whenever I saw Zambernardi and Fenwick play, they were mince! I remember when we played Motherwell six years ago and lost the game 2-0 with both goals coming from Zambernardi mistakes! :grr:

3. I'm the opposite, Hogg would be in my team anyday. Fenwick is not the worst. Thats why he is on my bench. I just think he was past it when he played for us. :cool2:

da-robster
05-09-2009, 09:27 PM

Against Zibi probaly :greengrin.

Pete
05-09-2009, 09:32 PM
Zibby-After much thought just shades it over Simon Brown.

Orman-Managed to play in the Champions League after leaving Hibs, just goes to prove miracles can happen.
Murdoch-Was at Man United once must have been once.
Brazil-Apparently he was good in training.
Tortalano-A myth that he could cross a ball most of his efforts ended up in the arms of the ball boys

Caughey-A winger who could neither beat a man or cross a ball.
Turnbull-Stuart ( not Eddie!) a midfielder who was allergic to physical contact.
Watson-Played for Aberdeen and Leeds absolutely dreadful.
O`Brien-Arrived as the new Ivan, afraid he did nothing of any note at Easter Road.

Scott-The imposter that arrived with Fyfe in a swap deal.
Hurtardo-A rare specimen a South American who couldn`t play football.

I saw qualities in Orman and thought he was played out of position.

He was a midfielder in my opinion and never a full back.

AFKA5814_Hibs
05-09-2009, 09:50 PM
So many to choose from, christ where do we start?

In goals, Zibi for me. Cannot understand for a second why he stayed at the club after the semi final fiasco, he should have been shot the next day, never mind given a bloody 2 year extension!

In defence I would have McQuilken, Neale Cooper (with his ridicuous 80's mullet) PC Murdoch and Zambarardi.

Midfield: Whichever G Miller son was a midfielder, Ray Wilkins, Tosh (name says it all) O'Brien (for being the biggest waste of wages ever)

Hutardo Caughey

subs: Too many to mention.

I would say though, Tortolano wouldn't get into my worst ever Hibs team. :thumbsup:

jgl07
05-09-2009, 11:13 PM

Well Power scored against Celtic in a 2-1 win.

Konte scored the goal at Motherwell that put Hibs in the UEFA Cup not long ago.

Even the Tank and Tosh scored a couple for Hibs.

AFKA5814_Hibs
05-09-2009, 11:15 PM
Well Power scored against Celtic in a 2-1 win.

Konte scored the goal at Motherwell that put Hibs in the UEFA Cup not long ago.

Even the Tank and Tosh scored a couple for Hibs.

and Mark Caughey scored bugger all, despite Hibs going all the way to Mexico to sign him. :grr:

--------
05-09-2009, 11:19 PM
[QUOTE=magpie1892;2163260]But Chirs Shevlane... QUOTE]

That's undoubtedly the most tasteless and uncalled-for response I've ever had to anything I've ever posted on this forum.

jgl07
05-09-2009, 11:42 PM
Fenwick is not the worst. Thats why he is on my bench. I just think he was past it when he played for us. :cool2:
Don't you mean he was past it when you saw him play.

Fenwick was a good player for in the McLeish era (when you would have been about seven).

Fenwick was one of the players who accepted a deal from Petrie to cut his wages in return for an extended contract. So he was probably around longer than the manager would have wanted.