PDA

View Full Version : Jock Buchanan....

--------
04-09-2009, 10:52 AM
Another of the old guard has gone.

IIRC he played against Rot-Weiss Essen that afternoon because other players had got stranded in Europe after a Scotland game. (Younger, Smith, and I think Ormond?) He was called round to the Stadium at short notice, after having had his tea - two large helpings of mince-and-tatties. He scored after about 5 minutes, and legend has it that every time he was picked for Hibs afterwards, he stoked up on mince-and-tatties before the game.

Part of the history.

Condolences to his family.

CyberSauzee
04-09-2009, 11:02 AM
http://sport.scotsman.com/football/Hibs39-home-Euro-score-.5618247.jp

--------
04-09-2009, 11:33 AM
http://sport.scotsman.com/football/Hibs39-home-Euro-score-.5618247.jp

Glad someone else has noticed.... :confused:

The_Horde
04-09-2009, 11:39 AM
Never good to hear about ex Hibees passing away.

RIP.

Gatecrasher
04-09-2009, 11:57 AM
Buchanan, however, did not expect to play that night, learning of his inclusion in the team only on his arrival at Easter Road and having eaten a plate of mince and tatties that, in his own words, "would have killed a store horse

:greengrin

RIP

Dashing Bob S
04-09-2009, 12:00 PM
:greengrin

RIP

At least Jock had the decency to eat them before the game, rather than during half-time, like some of the so-called professionals in todays modern game. Not pointing any fingers at certain Gorgie "strikers".

RIP Jock.

--------
04-09-2009, 12:23 PM
At least Jock had the decency to eat them before the game, rather than during half-time, like some of the so-called professionals in todays modern game. Not pointing any fingers at certain Gorgie "strikers".

RIP Jock.

Jock was a centre-half turned centre-forward, as it says in the article.

A centre-half nourished on old-fashioned Scottish mince-and-tatties. None of your flabby Naddy nonsense there.

I believe he was just sitting down to his second helping when the boy rang the bell.

"You're needed at Easter Road," said the boy. "You're playing tonight."

Was Jock dismayed? Not a bit!

"I'll just finish my tea and nip round," he said, and sat down to scoff the second plateful, before advancing to the place of duty and sinking the Hun.

Whaur's yer Sir Francis Drake and his game o bools noo? :devil:

Seriously, a fine player and a genuine Hibee fae Leith.

hibhib7
04-09-2009, 01:31 PM
He was understudy to the two best centre-forwards that ever played in Scotland. I remember he was the top goal-scorer in Britain one season but, unfortunately, he couldn't get a game in the first team because of a certain Joe Baker.

RIP Jock

chorley_fm
04-09-2009, 01:39 PM
Always sad when a good Hibbie passes away

RIP

Big Frank
04-09-2009, 01:57 PM
Always sad when a good Hibbie passes away

RIP

:agree:

RIP

poolman
04-09-2009, 02:27 PM
Buchanan, however, did not expect to play that night, learning of his inclusion in the team only on his arrival at Easter Road and having eaten a plate of mince and tatties that, in his own words, "would have killed a store horse".

I think that's what Nade must be doing :greengrin

RIP Jock

Another Hibernian first being the first British player to score a Euopean goal on British soil :not worth

Zimmy
04-09-2009, 02:42 PM
Rip Jock.

Lucius Apuleius
04-09-2009, 02:43 PM
Being younger than some I did not see the Rot Weiss game so never saw the goal:greengrin

Condolences to the family.

RIP Jock.

Jonnyboy
04-09-2009, 02:48 PM
A real good servant to Hibernian FC

RIP Jock

maturehibby
04-09-2009, 04:44 PM
Know of two Buchananan's one Archie and other Jock .
can someone remind me was it Jock that was the wiry haired Redhead one ?.
If so I remeber him as being a hard hard laddie on the park

hibbybrian
04-09-2009, 05:11 PM
know of two buchananan's one archie and other jock .
Can someone remind me was it jock that was the wiry haired redhead one ?.
If so i remeber him as being a hard hard laddie on the park

Yup

Sir David Gray
04-09-2009, 05:26 PM
The official website seems to be saying that he only played 13 league games for Hibs in his 6 years at Easter Road. Is this true and if so, was that down to injuries or just because he was in his teens/early 20's when he was with us?

It just seems a very low number of appearances.

Leithenhibby
04-09-2009, 05:27 PM
Yup

I'm glad you posted the photos, as I remember a Buchanan at Edinburgh Thistle, just thought that Jock didn't seem right! because it was Archie.....

RIP.

NaeTechnoHibby
04-09-2009, 06:10 PM
Rip.

The Harp
04-09-2009, 06:24 PM
The official website seems to be saying that he only played 13 league games for Hibs in his 6 years at Easter Road. Is this true and if so, was that down to injuries or just because he was in his teens/early 20's when he was with us?

Sad to hear of Jock's passing. I thought I'd seen him play for Hibs many times. Probably because in the 50's I went to watch the reserves on a Sat when the first team were away from home.
Looked at a Hibs Handbook for season 59/60. In the feature 'Pen Pictures' it says of Jock:
A tradesman painter, Jock had to be content with reserve team games (last season) but hit a rich scoring seam which earned him a place on the tour (of Spain) and renewed confidence in his ability to break through to the big time. A centre half at David Kilpatrick's School, before stepping up from Edinburgh Waverley, Jock hit 22 goals.

Of the 22 goals, 21 were for the reserves and included two hat tricks, the other was in a floodlight friendly.
I remember Jock as a great club man who always gave 100%.

Condolences to his family.
RIP

Rasta_Hibs
04-09-2009, 08:09 PM
RIP to a member of the Hibernian family!

Jonnyboy
04-09-2009, 08:25 PM

Yip, was very much a squad player FH :agree: