PDA

View Full Version : Very unprofessional from George Peat

woodythehibee
03-09-2009, 08:09 PM
Basically saying that Iwelumo is to blame if Scotland do not qualify... Not comments you would expect from a senior SFA figure

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/8236878.stm

Kaiser_Sauzee
03-09-2009, 08:13 PM
Sack him. That's the type of comments for us to write on forums, not for the president of the SFA to be saying on TV.

Hibercelona
03-09-2009, 08:17 PM
Terrible thing to say :bitchy:

Just shows how classless Scotland really are on a whole.

ronaldo7
03-09-2009, 08:33 PM
Basically saying that Iwelumo is to blame if Scotland do not qualify... Not comments you would expect from a senior SFA figure

The trouble is we do expect if from them now...shower of ****

blueisthecolour
03-09-2009, 08:36 PM

Burleys fault for putting him on ahead of Boyd

blaikie
03-09-2009, 08:40 PM
Burleys fault for putting him on ahead of Boyd
Iwelumo is a better player than Boyd :wink:

Sylar
03-09-2009, 08:43 PM
With comments like this, and a littered sense of buck-passing which is endemic in Scottish Football, it's no great surprise that I find myself increasingly supporting only the one country these days.

The Scottish game is dead on its feet, and the SFA President is looking to isolate yet another player of decent calibre, when we've already witnessed so many defect under this current regime. His comments will make any potential Scotland starlet think twice, on account of ridicule due to failure. Were I Iwelumo, I'd tell the Scottish National side where to stick their call-ups, until the current set of blazers are removed.

Peat should resign or be forced from his position for those ill-advised remarks.

Kato
03-09-2009, 08:44 PM
The SFA are amatuers and bad ones.

Hibercelona
03-09-2009, 08:47 PM

Not sure if I agree with that.

Its true that he's miles ahead of Boyd in terms of experience.

But when it comes to actually scoring goals, Boyd is the better option IMO.

Sir David Gray
03-09-2009, 08:59 PM
What he said may well be the truth but there is no way that the chairman of the SFA should be making statements like that.

Greenway
03-09-2009, 09:00 PM
Typical of some people to pick on one sentence and turn it upside down.

The point the man was making is that if we had scored in that game them the group would look very different today and everyone wouldn't be after the managers head. Scotland is fast turning into a country who are always looking for someone to blame when things don't go right.

He did make a mistake in replaying that particular moment, although it was an incredible miss. However it's the media making mountains out of this particular molehill and it's very boring.

blaikie
03-09-2009, 09:06 PM

True.
Boyd does score more goals than Iwelumo. But when it comes to tracking back and helping out the team etc, Iwelumo is miles ahead of Boyd. :agree:

500miles
03-09-2009, 09:09 PM

I would argue that in the Norway game we struggled to hold the ball up, and never really got near to the goal. While Boyd would have finished the chance (although he missed a similar sitter for the huns not that much later), I would be suprised if we would have made the oppertunities. However, his inclusion denied Boyd a place, so his status as a joke figure was made doubly severe.

Iwelumo was also scoring freely in the Championship at the time too. As a big target man, Scotland have had worse.

robinp
03-09-2009, 09:10 PM
Typical of some people to pick on one sentence and turn it upside down.

The point the man was making is that if we had scored in that game them the group would look very different today and everyone wouldn't be after the managers head. Scotland is fast turning into a country who are always looking for someone to blame when things don't go right.

He did make a mistake in replaying that particular moment, although it was an incredible miss. However it's the media making mountains out of this particular molehill and it's very boring.

If we didn't get ****ged off Norway or fall to an embarrassing defeat in Macedonia we would also be on the verge of qualification. Those fall on the managers head also.

HibeeUnderwood
03-09-2009, 09:11 PM
Sack Him! :grr:

blueisthecolour
03-09-2009, 09:17 PM

But not a better goal scorer:wink:

blaikie
03-09-2009, 09:20 PM
But not a better goal scorer:wink:
Still wouldn't have him anywhere near the Scotland Squad :greengrin Give me Riordan in there any day of the week :wink:

Sir David Gray
03-09-2009, 09:21 PM
True.
Boyd does score more goals than Iwelumo. But when it comes to tracking back and helping out the team etc, Iwelumo is miles ahead of Boyd. :agree:

They're both strikers and a striker's job is primarily to score goals.

Kris Boyd is the only player in Scotland that I would place ahead of Derek Riordan when it comes to goalscoring ability.

blueisthecolour
03-09-2009, 09:24 PM
Still wouldn't have him anywhere near the Scotland Squad :greengrin Give me Riordan in there any day of the week :wink:

As a player yes but surely not as a goal scorer

CraigHibee
03-09-2009, 09:25 PM
definately bad patter from the old goat!
How can he put the blame one 1 person for scotlands p+ss poor results? The team and more importantly BURLEY! need to take the blame, not just an individual! Is this peats way of backing burley? Rather than slate the manager he more or less picks out a single player for our downfall. What a fud?

Billychaotic182
03-09-2009, 09:37 PM
What a fud

blackpoolhibs
03-09-2009, 09:51 PM
I wouldn't have any huns near the Scotland team.

clerriehibs
03-09-2009, 09:51 PM
True.

aye ... the football world would be a far, far, far better place if it was only populated by tracker backers.

you can only hope the day never comes when the likes of riordan decides tracking back is more important than fashioning yet another goal out of nothing, or a finisher like boyd sees tracking back as more important than goal hanging.

Dashing Bob S
03-09-2009, 09:52 PM
I said I would stop being negative about matters relating to the Scottish national team, so i'll maintain radio silence.

But it isn't easy.

blueisthecolour
03-09-2009, 10:10 PM
I wouldn't have any huns near the Scotland team.

And Scotland would have you no where near the managers job, and look whos in charge now, that's saying something.

blackpoolhibs
03-09-2009, 10:13 PM
And Scotland would have you no where near the managers job, and look whos in charge now, that's saying something.

I'd prefer the huns job.

Jonnyboy
03-09-2009, 10:16 PM
IMO Peat is not wrong, technically speaking because it was a howler of a miss. Where I would take issue with him is in his chosen words and tone of voice. To say, in a sneering way, 'if a certain centre forward hadn't missed ....' Why couldn't he say "It's a pity Chris Iwelumo missed that chance in the home match etc etc" :agree:

blackpoolhibs
03-09-2009, 10:18 PM
IMO Peat is not wrong, technically speaking because it was a howler of a miss. Where I would take issue with him is in his chosen words and tone of voice. To say, in a sneering way, 'if a certain centre forward hadn't missed ....' Why couldn't he say "It's a pity Chris Iwelumo missed that chance in the home match etc etc" :agree:

:top marks Of course he could have said if it were not for certain players taking the piss while sitting on the bench, or sitting at the bar, we might have been better off too.

iwasthere1972
03-09-2009, 10:24 PM

I thought the buck stops with the manager. Regardless of how bad a miss it was (and it's up the top of tree) Peat should never have come out and said what he did on national television. Even Burley has remained diplomatic and has refrained from laying the blame on the player.

Didn't want Burley as manager in the first place. Hope we do qualify but seriously can't see it. Similarly I can't see Burley being the manager of Scotland when Peat is handing out his presents at the SFA at Christmas.

oldbutdim
03-09-2009, 10:37 PM

I haven't played the clip (might waken the missus.......) but I wondered about the tone rather than the words.
This post answers my question.

Shame it was sneered rather than shrugged if you know what I mean.
:cool2:

--------
03-09-2009, 11:07 PM
With comments like this, and a littered sense of buck-passing which is endemic in Scottish Football, it's no great surprise that I find myself increasingly supporting only the one country these days.

The Scottish game is dead on its feet, and the SFA President is looking to isolate yet another player of decent calibre, when we've already witnessed so many defect under this current regime. His comments will make any potential Scotland starlet think twice, on account of ridicule due to failure. Were I Iwelumo, I'd tell the Scottish National side where to stick their call-ups, until the current set of blazers are removed.

Peat should resign or be forced from his position for those ill-advised remarks.

:agree: But the thing is, John, he didn't.

Peat is typical of the old-pals-act, recycle-the-same-old-stumblebums SFA oligarchy that has run the game in Scotland for far too long.

As I observed but lately, Peat would find it a matter of deep personal embarrassment, not to say physical self-endangerment, to turn up at New Broomfiled Stadium on a match-day. His pedigree in the Scottish game is that he was in charge of Airdrieonians when they fell into such financial trouble that they had to turn to Steve Archibald as their 'white knight' which led to their dissolution and disappearance from the League. the man is a numpty and has been shown to be a numpty. To have him as the head of our national association is ridiculous.

And whether he intended to say it that way or not, in that interview he says clearly that the Scotland team are now very highly unlikely to qualify even for the WC play-off matches because of ONE player's miss in ONE match.

Suppose RP had said on TV that we failed to get a draw on Sunday because one named defender had failed to prevent Samaras from scoring? As Kaiser_Sauzee says, that's the sort of remark that might be OK on a fans' forum like this, but is totally inappropriate coming from the SFA President in a TV interview. He should resign.

I Love Lamp
03-09-2009, 11:45 PM
I find it bizarre that there's this perception that Burley's "anti-Rangers" when Alan Brazil and others who have known him says he supports them. Not saying that I think he's a good manager but when you read stuff like that you wonder why it's Celtic that get the reputation for paranoia.

But yeah George Peat's a highest-order pillock.

hibsdaft
04-09-2009, 12:43 AM
great moral booster from the SFA before a crunch game. what a tit.

davemcbain
04-09-2009, 07:55 AM

He's right though, the guy not only missed a sitter, he picks the team, organises the tactics, buys the half time oranges and personally handles all the travel bookings for 90% of the tartan army.
If he hadn't tried to save a few bob by buying tangerines in Norway, we'd have qualified by now.

sambajustice
04-09-2009, 08:23 AM
This is turning into 2 arguments here,

Peat's comments: Mountain or Molehill

I say Molehill!

Boyd or Iwelumo:

I say Boyd, everyday of the week, should be the first name on the teamsheet! Unless of course you're Rangers playing their (in)famous 6-4-0 formation in Europe!

col02
04-09-2009, 08:38 AM
Interesting that Peat did not insult Caldwell for his part in the horrific collapse against Norway recently when his lack of intelligence seen him pick up two yellow cards that could have easily been avoided by someone using their brain a bit more. Then again it is easy to criticise someone miles away in Wolverhampton rather than a player playing for the Old Firm right on the SFA's doorstep.:rolleyes:

Phil MaGlass
04-09-2009, 08:49 AM
Peat is whats wrong with the whole SFA, blazers and backslapping,it makes you sick to your stomach that basically nothing can be done about it,theres so much wrong with Scottish fitba you wouldnt know where to start trying to fix it and the SFA are the biggest offenders.Its the same with the FIFA mafia, a select group who wield power.
How can you single out one player,scandalous.The whole team are to blame, the manager definitely, with his "if you,ve been injured for months and huvnae kicked a baw but play for the OF you will still get a game",Burley.
Where do you start to build a basis from?its a mess a f,n mess and were all getting fed up with it.
Old firm bias,there are good players out there not getting a game for Scotland but because they dont wear the green or blue of Glasgow they dont get a look in.oops strayed off a bit,SFA idiots.

I also find it quite galling that people who have been saying they do not support or care about Scotland still use this thread to comment on Scotland.If you dont support them then get off the f,n thread,I for one am not interested in your comments on the subject of Scotland since you have already made it clear youre not interested.

I Love Lamp
04-09-2009, 09:25 AM
This is turning into 2 arguments here,

I say Boyd, everyday of the week, should be the first name on the teamsheet!

Do you not wonder why Boyd wouldn't take a move to a bigger league? It's because he knows fine well that against the better, quicker defences he would be on the wrong side of useless.

Sure, he's great against the Hamiltons and the St Mirrens but he's never even looked like scoring at Easter Road or Tynecastle (apart from that penalty the last time). Notice how Walter doesn't even play him against Celtic?

For my money, he's too unfit, too slow and too lacking in a football, or any other kind of, brain for international or top level football. That's why he stews at Rangers.

blackpoolhibs
04-09-2009, 09:40 AM
Do you not wonder why Boyd wouldn't take a move to a bigger league? It's because he knows fine well that against the better, quicker defences he would be on the wrong side of useless.

Sure, he's great against the Hamiltons and the St Mirrens but he's never even looked like scoring at Easter Road or Tynecastle (apart from that penalty the last time). Notice how Walter doesn't even play him against Celtic?

For my money, he's too unfit, too slow and too lacking in a football, or any other kind of, brain for international or top level football. That's why he stews at Rangers.

:top marks He likes being a horrible hun, in that horrible place. If he went anywhere else, he'd just be that miserable sod who with the surly attitude.:jamboak:

sambajustice
04-09-2009, 09:50 AM
:top marks He likes being a horrible hun, in that horrible place. If he went anywhere else, he'd just be that miserable sod who with the surly attitude.:jamboak:

Well, yeah, you're right, he does like being a hun, just the same Ferguson.

However, if the players around him create the chances for them he'll stick them away.

Also, imagine how much higher up the league we would have been last season if there was someone that could just get a vital strike against the Falkirks, Hamiltons and Killie's?

You get three points for beating Celtic the same as you get three points for beating Hamilton so I dont really buy into this "doesn't score in big games" stuff.

He scored rakes at Killie as well so its not as if he hasn't proved himself at a lesser club.

*He is a lazy Hun bassa tho!

I Love Lamp
04-09-2009, 10:05 AM
Aye I will admit there is probably a lot of that and I agree that Hibs would thrive on having someone who could score goals in games against those teams. He would probably help Hibs win games that they otherwise couldn't just like Kyle at Kilmarnock. Here's hoping Stokes can do the same at ER.

BUT

My main argument was about Boyd's suitability for international football as against, say, Iwelumo. Would he get goals against the other teams in that qualifying group? I would say no. You might argue that he would have scored the one Iwelumo missed. Probably. However, would he have been quick enough to be in the position Iwelumo had adopted? I doubt it.

He would not have done the job for Scotland. In the event, Iwelumo didn't either but that should not disguise Boyd's failings.

By referring to the big games I was implying that they are the best way we have of judging how he would do at international level. He wouldn't cut it.

--------
04-09-2009, 10:41 AM
IMO Peat is one example of why so many Scots are so disenchanted with their national team. He couldn't run his own club, yet here he is President of the SFA.

Lex Gold, who took us down to Div One, is chairman or whatever of the SPL.

Gordon Smithmustscore - a BBC talking head, not-very-successful-former-footballer-and-Hun, players' agent and walking advertisemnent for hair gel - is in there too.

Main qualification for appointment to a big job in Scottish football - failure (or at least crashing mediocrity).

Football is a team game. Officials should not publicly single out players for blame - especially when those officials themselves are arguably a much bigger part of the problem than the hapless player they're criticising. Iwelumo can hardly defend himself by criticising the president of the SFA. Peat has abused his power and his position and should resign.

Peat blames Iwelumo. Fine. Similarly, last season, Mixu publicly put the blame on Paul Hanlon for a goal that cost us 2 points in a draw with Kilmarnock. The problem at ER last season wasn't Paul Hanlon - it was Mixu. The problem for Scotland isn't Iwelumo - it's the way idiots like George Peat and his blazered cronies have been running Scottish football, and are continuing to run Scottish football, into the ground.

Most of the disillusion and disenchantment and cynicism surrounding the Scotland team would vanish if the team were being run properly and the governing bodies of the sport in Scotland would put their houses in order.

crewetollhibee
04-09-2009, 10:43 AM

Sadly thats EXACTLY the comments you would expect from THIS character. TOTAL TOOL !!

JimBHibees
04-09-2009, 10:53 AM
Absolute molehill. Heard a bit of this on the radio and Peat was joking about him and Iwelumo both coming from Coatbridge however it suits the press and gimps like Cameron on Real radio to stir it up and make a big deal of absolutely nothing. It is like the press in this country get the national team they deserve when they are waiting for it to fail and then publicly flog whoever they dont like.

--------
04-09-2009, 10:54 AM
Absolute molehill. Heard a bit of this on the radio and Peat was joking about him and Iwelumo both coming from Coatbridge however it suits the press and gimps like Cameron on Real radio to stir it up and make a big deal of absolutely nothing. It is like the press in this country get the national team they deserve when they are waiting for it to fail and then publicly flog whoever they dont like.

You're happy with George Peat, Jim?

JimBHibees
04-09-2009, 10:59 AM
You're happy with George Peat, Jim?

No idea what he does to be honest. :greengrin

I was merely commenting on what seemed a hysterical reaction to an interview a part of which he was joking about him and Iwelumo coming from Coatbridge which didnt seem to fit with what was being reported about him 'blaming' Iwelumo for Scotland not qualifying which I am sure he didnt do. It seemed to contrast with the hysterical witch hunt that was apparent on Cameron's phone in.

Makaveli
04-09-2009, 11:00 AM
Pathetic comments from a pathetic "president".

--------
04-09-2009, 11:29 AM
No idea what he does to be honest. :greengrin

I was merely commenting on what seemed a hysterical reaction to an interview a part of which he was joking about him and Iwelumo coming from Coatbridge which didnt seem to fit with what was being reported about him 'blaming' Iwelumo for Scotland not qualifying which I am sure he didnt do. It seemed to contrast with the hysterical witch hunt that was apparent on Cameron's phone in.

Nor have I. His function at the SFA - apart from travelling round the world on the coat-tails of the Scotland team - appears to be shrouded in mystery. :devil:

What he actually said: "When I took over this job my ambition was to see Scotland qualify for major tournaments again and against the odds I thought we might do it at Euro 2008, even though we had Italy and France in our group. However, when I saw the draw for this one I was even more optimistic because I didn't think the quality of opposition was as good as we'd faced previously. I hoped we would have qualified by this stage. Let's not beat about the bush, in this campaign we've only won twice and that's not good enough. Walter Smith turned the whole thing round for Scotland and Alex McLeish kept the momentum going. We would have hoped results would have been better and, if you want to be brutal, Alex took us up to 14th at one stage in the rankings and it's disappointing we've fallen away again.

I'd regard it as a failure if we didn't finish second in the group or go on to qualify. We agreed when George took over that both parties would review the situation after this campaign and we still intend to do that. No SFA board meetings are arranged for next week - let's wait and see what happens on Saturday and Wednesday. We're all hopeful of taking six points. Macedonia are no dummies and it will be tough against Holland but we've beaten them before. Nothing's impossible and George is up for it. He's been in the game long enough to handle it."

"It annoys me slightly that every one has been going on about the terrible display in Norway last month. We all know it was terrible but if a certain individual didn't miss an open goal in the first game we'd have been three points ahead of Norway and the result over there wouldn't have mattered.

Those three points would have made a difference. They would have meant that if we defeat Macedonia at the weekend we would finish second in the group for sure and wouldn't have to worry about Holland on Wednesday."

"The Scottish public are in support of the team more than anything else. We all know the great atmosphere created and the fantastic build-up to the Italy game when Alex was manager. We had hoped that would be repeated but it has fallen a little flatter."

Now I don't think that's the way the president of the SFA should be talking just before the two decisive games.

Personally, I don't think Burley is the man for the manager's job. I consider that he handled the 'Boozegate' affair very poorly - the players should never have been given permission to stay in the bar in the first place, especially neds like Ferguson and McGregor. Some of his selections are incomprehensible, IMO, and tactically I think he's been very naive at times.

But that interview, IMO, is Peat shovelling off the responsibility - ALL the responsibility - on to the manager he himself was instrumental in appointing, and onto one player (a 'certain individual') who missed a chance on goal from 6 yards. I'm old enough to remember Billy Bremner missing from less than 6 feet against Brazil in 1974. Peat's colleague Gordon Smithmustscore did the same in an FA Cup Final. It happens. Sensible people don't crucify the guy who does it in public.

It's not just this, Jim. Peat has history. he's only there because John Mcbeth had to resign after speaking what was no more than the truth about corruption in FIFA a few years ago. McBeth didn't play the old pals' game - Peat's a past master at it. That's why I don't like him.

(Sorry for the length, btw.)

Puddocky
04-09-2009, 11:59 AM
If Iwelumo had scored to give us all 3 points it would have been a fluke result for Scotland. A draw was the most we deserved and arguably not even that.
A senior administrator should certainly be above this sort of 'If yer Auntie had baws' line of argument

Dashing Bob S
04-09-2009, 12:02 PM
For Peat's sake, stop this anti-George witchunt!

Lucius Apuleius
04-09-2009, 12:15 PM
For Peat's sake, stop this anti-George witchunt!

Got many aunties, never had a George though.

Anyway you are correct this thread is totally Peatist. (and probably Iwelumoist and Boydist as well)

--------
04-09-2009, 12:18 PM
Got many aunties, never had a George though.

Anyway you are correct this thread is totally Peatist. (and probably Iwelumoist and Boydist as well)

Not just Peatist.

DE-PEATIST. :devil:

Let's have some positive thinking here. :wink:

NORTHERNHIBBY
04-09-2009, 12:32 PM
A bit of a circular argument really. Is this boy good enough to play international football? Probably not. Are Scotland good enough to play at World Cup level? No. Who is in charge of football Scotland? The SFA. Who makes strategy decisions at the SFA. George Peat.

--------
04-09-2009, 12:41 PM
A bit of a circular argument really. Is this boy good enough to play international football? Probably not. Are Scotland good enough to play at World Cup level? No. Who is in charge of football Scotland? The SFA. Who makes strategy decisions at the SFA. George Peat.

:agree: An unbroken chain of evidence and logic.

Punt the goon. :devil:

ballengeich
04-09-2009, 12:55 PM
BUT

My main argument was about Boyd's suitability for international football as against, say, Iwelumo. Would he get goals against the other teams in that qualifying group? I would say no. You might argue that he would have scored the one Iwelumo missed. Probably. However, would he have been quick enough to be in the position Iwelumo had adopted? I doubt it.

He would not have done the job for Scotland. In the event, Iwelumo didn't either but that should not disguise Boyd's failings.

By referring to the big games I was implying that they are the best way we have of judging how he would do at international level. He wouldn't cut it.

Apart from doubts about Boyd's football ability, everything I've heard about him indicates that he'd have been with Ferguson and MacGregor in the Cameron House bar, so he'd have been out by now even if he hadn't refused to be selected.

JackRegan
04-09-2009, 02:39 PM
Where does one start with George Peat????

The guy who ran a club (Airdrie) into the ground, yet got back into the SFA by getting a gig at Stenhousemuir.

The same George Peat, who while at Airdrie would in his words "help the lads oot wi' a few bob" for Section B nights, which had BNP/NF bands like Screwdriver playing at.

George Peat, who was prepared to help der hun follwoing their SELF INFLICTED fixture pile up, by moving the Cup Final (His organsiation's showpiece event) which was Queen of the South's FIRST Cup Final to a midweek slot, only to be stopped folowing the threat of legal action from spit Peter Lawwell spit.

George Peat, who again while at Airdrie would print and sell more tickets than the capacity of Broomfield. Go on FF and ask how the huns how many of them were locked out at 2.45pm on the day of the game, despite having valid match tickets. Our game there earlier in 92/93 season saw us packed in like sardines - remember this was post hillsborough and the automatic 12% cut in terraced grounds capacities.

Of course, the fact that Chris Iwelumo is a Black, Catholic form Coatbridge has nothing to do with him being singled out. No sirree, not our George....

Peat is a total and utter rodent.

Rant Over.

Lucius Apuleius
04-09-2009, 02:49 PM
Not just Peatist.

DE-PEATIST. :devil:

Let's have some positive thinking here. :wink:

Nope, keeping all the positive thinking on the Voltz thread:greengrin

stuartmcdee
04-09-2009, 02:54 PM
[QUOTE=woodythehibee;2161081]Basically saying that Iwelumo is to blame if Scotland do not qualify... Not comments you would expect from a senior SFA figure

Is this not simalar to scotland assistant manager not shaking hand with another countrys manager the whole of scotlands international football is a joke.

players getting called up to play for there country that havent kicked a ball this season :bitchy:

sauzee_4
04-09-2009, 03:10 PM
IMO Peat is one example of why so many Scots are so disenchanted with their national team. He couldn't run his own club, yet here he is President of the SFA.

Lex Gold, who took us down to Div One, is chairman or whatever of the SPL.

Gordon Smithmustscore - a BBC talking head, not-very-successful-former-footballer-and-Hun, players' agent and walking advertisemnent for hair gel - is in there too.

Main qualification for appointment to a big job in Scottish football - failure (or at least crashing mediocrity).

Football is a team game. Officials should not publicly single out players for blame - especially when those officials themselves are arguably a much bigger part of the problem than the hapless player they're criticising. Iwelumo can hardly defend himself by criticising the president of the SFA. Peat has abused his power and his position and should resign.

Peat blames Iwelumo. Fine. Similarly, last season, Mixu publicly put the blame on Paul Hanlon for a goal that cost us 2 points in a draw with Kilmarnock. The problem at ER last season wasn't Paul Hanlon - it was Mixu. The problem for Scotland isn't Iwelumo - it's the way idiots like George Peat and his blazered cronies have been running Scottish football, and are continuing to run Scottish football, into the ground.

Most of the disillusion and disenchantment and cynicism surrounding the Scotland team would vanish if the team were being run properly and the governing bodies of the sport in Scotland would put their houses in order.

:top marks It's the same all the way down the levels. If your a pal or a pals' pal you get the job. I know a guy who got a full time job with them recently. Cannot coach for toffee yet he travels to Germany, Spain etc. with some of our top talent. Incidentally he's best pals with the Development Officer for Edinburgh:shocked:

The guy's not a motivator, doesn't know a reverse pass from a sliding tackle, and is out on the p*ss at every opportunity. What chance have we got?

Phil D. Rolls
04-09-2009, 04:49 PM
:agree: But the thing is, John, he didn't.

Peat is typical of the old-pals-act, recycle-the-same-old-stumblebums SFA oligarchy that has run the game in Scotland for far too long.

As I observed but lately, Peat would find it a matter of deep personal embarrassment, not to say physical self-endangerment, to turn up at New Broomfiled Stadium on a match-day. His pedigree in the Scottish game is that he was in charge of Airdrieonians when they fell into such financial trouble that they had to turn to Steve Archibald as their 'white knight' which led to their dissolution and disappearance from the League. the man is a numpty and has been shown to be a numpty. To have him as the head of our national association is ridiculous.

And whether he intended to say it that way or not, in that interview he says clearly that the Scotland team are now very highly unlikely to qualify even for the WC play-off matches because of ONE player's miss in ONE match.

Suppose RP had said on TV that we failed to get a draw on Sunday because one named defender had failed to prevent Samaras from scoring? As Kaiser_Sauzee says, that's the sort of remark that might be OK on a fans' forum like this, but is totally inappropriate coming from the SFA President in a TV interview. He should resign.

Yep, it seems like the SFA is a great sanctuary for people who have been failures in the game. Peat was out of order, and from what I can see is as thick as mince.

--------
04-09-2009, 11:15 PM
Where does one start with George Peat????

The guy who ran a club (Airdrie) into the ground, yet got back into the SFA by getting a gig at Stenhousemuir.

The same George Peat, who while at Airdrie would in his words "help the lads oot wi' a few bob" for Section B nights, which had BNP/NF bands like Screwdriver playing at.

George Peat, who was prepared to help der hun follwoing their SELF INFLICTED fixture pile up, by moving the Cup Final (His organsiation's showpiece event) which was Queen of the South's FIRST Cup Final to a midweek slot, only to be stopped folowing the threat of legal action from spit Peter Lawwell spit.

George Peat, who again while at Airdrie would print and sell more tickets than the capacity of Broomfield. Go on FF and ask how the huns how many of them were locked out at 2.45pm on the day of the game, despite having valid match tickets. Our game there earlier in 92/93 season saw us packed in like sardines - remember this was post hillsborough and the automatic 12% cut in terraced grounds capacities.

Of course, the fact that Chris Iwelumo is a Black, Catholic form Coatbridge has nothing to do with him being singled out. No sirree, not our George....

Peat is a total and utter rodent.

Rant Over.

It appears, Jack, that if we agree about nothing else, we agree on the utter absurdity and pointlessness of the existence of George Peat.

:top marks

surreyhibbie
04-09-2009, 11:27 PM
Thanks, Mr Regan, until the last couple of days I had no idea who George Peat was, but instantly recognised him as a tw@ of the highest order after his comments.

You have just made me realise he is an even bigger phanny than I thought!

Most illuminating.

How do people like that get to run the game in Scotland?

Alicky Ranks
06-09-2009, 10:25 PM
Peat was spot on. It was about time somebody on the inside came out and said what everyone on the outside was thinking. Scotland's attempts to secure second place in a group which (with the exception of the Dutch) was there for the taking, have been pitiful and Iwelumno should certainly carry the can for that miss, while Burley should have his credentials questioned for selecting a player so clearly short of international ability.

Mag7
07-09-2009, 08:03 AM
Peat was spot on. It was about time somebody on the inside came out and said what everyone on the outside was thinking. Scotland's attempts to secure second place in a group which (with the exception of the Dutch) was there for the taking, have been pitiful and Iwelumno should certainly carry the can for that miss, while Burley should have his credentials questioned for selecting a player so clearly short of international ability.

:agree:

Broken Gnome
07-09-2009, 09:16 AM
Debating that miss is pointless to be honest, it was so horrific and ridiculous that it can't be an indicator of footballing ability. It's not just that Chris Iwelumo would score it 9 times out of ten, 999,999 out of 1 million or any other permutation you like, a centre half playing for Man Utd, Hibs, Stenhousemuir, Dagenham and Redbridge, AFC Wimbledon or Fort William would have scored 999,999 time out of a million. It doesn't mean that whoever missed it is a bad player, just because it was so freakishly preposterous.

sesoim
07-09-2009, 03:25 PM

Yeah, but BURLEY picked him over Boyd. So it is Burley that should take the blame, and ultimately the SFA for appointing him.

Burley contradicts himself so much (eg not picking Boyd because of lack of games, yet he picks other guys who have barely played in ages), his selections and tactics are poor, he favours rubbish English born championship players over non-Old Firm SPL players no matter, I could go on.

On Wednesday I want us to win and then hopefully qualify, but if we don't, I hope we get thumped so the SFA have no alternative but to sack Burley. And resign themself.

Phil D. Rolls
07-09-2009, 04:30 PM
Is this a new thread about George, or just a pesky re-Peat?