PDA

View Full Version : Little Expected - Lots Delivered

HibeeUnderwood
03-09-2009, 05:18 PM
Similar to 12 Albion Places thread about Anticipation-Disappointment, this one is who's been signed with not much expected of them and then they have become a huge success at the club by delivered a lot more than what was expected of them.

Ivan Sproule's name comes to mind, cost 5k and was fantastic!

Stenhousehibs
03-09-2009, 05:21 PM
Sol Bamba certainly wasn't thought of in high regard by most in Scotland but he has done nothing but good things for us since joining.

Betty Boop
03-09-2009, 05:25 PM
David Murphy.

Keith_M
03-09-2009, 05:26 PM
Jackie MacNamara.

A lot of people gave him a hard time because he was 'swapped' for Stanton, fools the lot of them :wink:

Hibstrooper
03-09-2009, 05:36 PM
A certain Mr Russell Latapy!

No one expected much but went on to be the most skillful player I've certainly seen at ER.

Good shout on Ivan too - legend!

lyonhibs
03-09-2009, 06:35 PM
Talking about games as opposed to players, the 1-1 draw we got at Septic Park under Tommy Craig, and the good performance that went with it, was so far removed from what I was expecting, it's probably one of the most pleasantly surprising results in my time watching Hibs.

I honestly thought we'd get bummed by at least 3 goals, and in the end we could have (and maybe should have) won the game.

hibsbollah
03-09-2009, 06:41 PM
Sol Bamba certainly wasn't thought of in high regard by most in Scotland but he has done nothing but good things for us since joining.

I always rated Sol and wanted us to sign him for ages, so i feel quite smug about how its all turned out:greengrin

Ivan is the obvious one.

HibbyAndy
03-09-2009, 06:43 PM
Konte.

James70
03-09-2009, 06:48 PM
Erich Schaedler signed from Stirling Albion for £4,000, they don't make full backs like him anymore.

Hibercelona
03-09-2009, 06:59 PM
David Murphy

Never expected much from him, but he was sheer class. :agree:

Storar
03-09-2009, 08:05 PM
David Murphy

Never expected much from him, but he was sheer class. :agree:

Murphy for me too. I remember him in a pre-season game against Leeds and he was rank. We went 1-0 up and then they scored 3 from down his side and I couldn't believe we ended up offering him a contract. Went on to become one of the best players I'd seen at Hibs in the end!

Also remember Ivan coming on as a sub against Dundee United at Hampden and tripping over the ball :bitchy: Next week he scored against Celtic :partyhibb

--------
03-09-2009, 08:08 PM
Alex Scott - signed from Everton as a replacement for his brother Jim.

"A Hun has-been" (he played for Rangers before going to England) was how one of the more tolerant of my fellow-Hibbies described him when he signed.

How wrong he was.

HibbyAndy
03-09-2009, 08:18 PM
Murphy for me too. I remember him in a pre-season game against Leeds and he was rank. We went 1-0 up and then they scored 3 from down his side and I couldn't believe we ended up offering him a contract. Went on to become one of the best players I'd seen at Hibs in the end!

Also remember Ivan coming on as a sub against Dundee United at Hampden and tripping over the ball :bitchy: Next week he scored against Celtic :partyhibb

The game Caldwell had nae intention of passing tae him:agree:

Aye wee Ivan is a great shout:agree:

Spike Mandela
03-09-2009, 08:33 PM
Matthias Jack:cool2:

Below average centre back who became midfield powerhouse legend!!

cocopops1875
03-09-2009, 08:36 PM
jim leighton i thought he was gonna be a total waste given his form :thumbsup:

Fat Stu
03-09-2009, 08:38 PM
Add Doumbe too that list aswell, shocking at right back moved to centre half and played well in a shocking team.

Bishop Hibee
03-09-2009, 08:38 PM
Jim Leighton and Gary Smith were both players who seemed to have their best days behind them but were great players for Hibs.

In the current team, McBride already looks far better than I was led to believe although it's early days.

sleeping giant
03-09-2009, 09:01 PM

I remember thinking he was a lazy bassa at that match. I was out my seat screaming at him as refused to chase a ball down:greengrin

Ivan who ? 5 k ? from where ?:greengrin

I remember the sinking feeling when Grant Stott anounced that the new Hibs manager was......Tony Mowbray:rolleyes:

Bamba was another.

I wasn't too impressed with Keith Houchen either:greengrin
Debut goal against the Jambos at Tynie:thumbsup: Hibs fans in the old Hibs end swaying. My Mum lost her shoe ! I was black affronted:greengrin

sleeping giant
03-09-2009, 09:02 PM
Jim Leighton and Gary Smith were both players who seemed to have their best days behind them but were great players for Hibs.

In the current team, McBride already looks far better than I was led to believe although it's early days.
:agree: Respect !:top marks

JeMeSouviens
03-09-2009, 09:03 PM
Stevie Archiegoal

HibeeUnderwood
03-09-2009, 09:13 PM
Konte.

Just waiting for someone to say it! :greengrin

sahib
03-09-2009, 09:20 PM
Alex Scott - signed from Everton as a replacement for his brother Jim.

"A Hun has-been" (he played for Rangers before going to England) was how one of the more tolerant of my fellow-Hibbies described him when he signed.

How wrong he was.

He certainly could cross a ball.

erin go bragh
03-09-2009, 09:27 PM
we got le god for brussel sprout:top marksmust go down as one of our greatest ever signings:wink:

jgl07
03-09-2009, 09:43 PM

Areyou serious?

Watching that match I came away convinced that Murphy should be signed as soon as possible.

He was certainly an improvement on Roland Edge!

Storar
03-09-2009, 10:45 PM
Areyou serious?

Watching that match I came away convinced that Murphy should be signed as soon as possible.

He was certainly an improvement on Roland Edge!

Definitely!

After a quick google search this (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/article464392.ece) reporter appears to confirm exactly what I was saying:cool2:

Captain Trips
03-09-2009, 10:54 PM
Jim Leighton is a good point, a lot of the guys mentioned we had not really heard of before so cant say I wolud be surpsed or dissapointed by Murphy etc etc.

Jim had seen better days and appeared to be going the wrong way, it was IMO a risk of the highest order so credit to Miller on it, and for Jim for becoming one of the greats, really shows how good he was when we see whats came after.

The odds were Stacked against this working out yet it did, so in my time watching Hibs this has been the biggest signing in terms of little expected lots delivered.

Iain G
04-09-2009, 01:27 AM
Gary Smith has been mentioned but not Paul Fenwick, another who I'm sure most of us scratched our heads at became one member of a very impressive defensive unit with Colgan/Sauzee/Smith, got mucked around a bit by Hibs in terms of his contract but, IIRC, was the only one to take a lower wage for a longer deal :agree: