PDA

View Full Version : Right backs.

Hibbyradge
02-09-2009, 09:23 PM
So, DVZ is away, much to the delight of many on here.

Fair do's, no tears shed.

Who is our first choice RB and what cover have we got?

McCann.

Wotherspoon.

Bamba.

Anyone else?

Do we feel secure?

Cocaine&Caviar
02-09-2009, 09:28 PM
With DVZ's exit, i would imagine that McCormack will now be looked at purely as a right back, with Thicot now fully seen as a centre back, because we have so many defensive central midfielders.

Leaving us with McCormack competing with McCann for the RB spot, and Wotherspoon and Murray covering.

Dibben
03-09-2009, 06:24 AM
With Zouma back now nearing fitness, I'd expect him to start in midfield. Which may get Wotherspoon the right back spot! I think realistically we have DW along with McCormack & McCann.

Come January, we may not be calling for a new right back!

BH.

matty_f
03-09-2009, 07:20 AM
With Zouma back now nearing fitness, I'd expect him to start in midfield. Which may get Wotherspoon the right back spot! I think realistically we have DW along with McCormack & McCann.

Come January, we may not be calling for a new right back!

BH.

Yogi has said in his last couple of Hibs TV interviews that he wants to put Wotherspoon at right back to see how he does. He was going to do it at Falkirk, but went with DVZ instead, and then considered it against Celtc but didn't fancy having him up against either McCheaty or Maloney without getting some experience in the position first.

To be fair, when Wotherspoon's moved to right back later on in games, he has done absolutely fine.

So, that gives us McCann, McCormack, Wotherspoon, and also Ian Murray can play right back.

Dibben
03-09-2009, 07:25 AM
Yogi has said in his last couple of Hibs TV interviews that he wants to put Wotherspoon at right back to see how he does. He was going to do it at Falkirk, but went with DVZ instead, and then considered it against Celtc but didn't fancy having him up against either McCheaty or Maloney without getting some experience in the position first.

To be fair, when Wotherspoon's moved to right back later on in games, he has done absolutely fine.

So, that gives us McCann, McCormack, Wotherspoon, and also Ian Murray can play right back.

:agree:

Although 'only' against Brechin, he played well there last midweek! Think he has the pace/energy to be the attacking RB that Yogi is after!!!

BH.

Craig_in_Prague
03-09-2009, 08:00 AM

Although 'only' against Brechin, he played well there last midweek! Think he has the pace/energy to be the attacking RB that Yogi is after!!!

BH.

number 27
03-09-2009, 08:38 AM
I dont think it would be fair on Wotherspoon at this stage to play him at RB against decent wingers. He seems a better option there when we are on the front foot and looking for width.

I would imagine that Mccormack and Mccann will get until January to show that they can be considered first choice.

blackpoolhibs
03-09-2009, 08:50 AM
As others have said, we have Mcann, Mcormack, Witherspoon and even Ian Murray at a push. All better players than DVZ. I dont see any problem.

atticmonkey
03-09-2009, 09:05 AM
[QUOTE=number 27;2160130]I dont think it would be fair on Wotherspoon at this stage to play him at RB against decent wingers. He seems a better option there when we are on the front foot and looking for width.

I agree; I am also concerned at Wotherspoons heading ability, can he deal with crosses slung to the back post. DVZ also struggled with this, McCormack would cope better with centre half experience

Oranje39
03-09-2009, 09:46 AM
What about thicot, thought he play anywhere in defence.

--------
03-09-2009, 09:55 AM
So, DVZ is away, much to the delight of many on here.

Fair do's, no tears shed.

Who is our first choice RB and what cover have we got?

McCann. Not fully back to fitness, but looked fairly secure to me against St Mirren.

Wotherspoon. Surely can play there if needed - handy string to our bow, surely.

Bamba. Please, PLEASE, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone else?

Do we feel secure?

McCormack - solid defender who's looked OK any time he's played there.

Thicot - never been tried there, would probably do in a pinch.

Feeling secure? Don't be silly - we're Hibees. When do Hibees ever feel secure? :rolleyes:

blackpoolhibs
03-09-2009, 10:13 AM
[B]Feeling secure? Don't be silly - we're Hibees. When do Hibees ever feel secure? :rolleyes:

Secure was never a feeling i had when DVZ played right back for us. All the players mentioned are better, we wont miss him.

--------
03-09-2009, 10:19 AM
Secure was never a feeling i had when DVZ played right back for us. All the players mentioned are better, we wont miss him.

Oh, I agree wholeheartedly, bh. :agree:

Watching him at Falkirk a week past was an object-lesson in how NOT to play full-back. I don't think he was within 10 yards of their left-winger more than twice in the game, constantly being caught ball-watching and no physical presence at all. IMO he was directly responsible for their goal.

I said at the game we needed to dump him, and I was ever so pleased that Yogi did so. McCormack, McCann and Thicot (in that order, I think, just now) are all far better prospects than him.

ancient hibee
03-09-2009, 10:22 AM
Wotherspoon would be totally wasted at right back(incidentally against Celtic he had nobody playing wide left against him)-they should concentrate in coaching him as a central midfielder where he has a great future.

--------
03-09-2009, 10:26 AM
Wotherspoon would be totally wasted at right back(incidentally against Celtic he had nobody playing wide left against him)-they should concentrate in coaching him as a central midfielder where he has a great future.

:agree: Likesay - we have three other options first.

I think DW's name came up because he'd be a better RB than van Zanten.

But then Zouma's a better RB than van Zanten. So's Brian Rice. So's Rod Petrie.

In fact, the wee fat baldy-heided steward (the one with bifocals and the artificial hip-joints) who usually stands up at the north end of the Shed would probably be a better RB than van Zanten.

blackpoolhibs
03-09-2009, 10:28 AM
Oh, I agree wholeheartedly, bh. :agree:

Watching him at Falkirk a week past was an object-lesson in how NOT to play full-back. I don't think he was within 10 yards of their left-winger more than twice in the game, constantly being caught ball-watching and no physical presence at all. IMO he was directly responsible for their goal.

I said at the game we needed to dump him, and I was ever so pleased that Yogi did so. McCormack, McCann and Thicot (in that order, I think, just now) are all far better prospects than him.

Yip thats how i saw it too. What i think is refreshing is the way yogi has made his mind up quickly, and moved the players on, who if we are all honest, were never good enough. We may have to use a few of the kids a bit more than we maybe want to this season, but i personally would prefer that to them not getting a chance because there is a hopeless journeyman playing in front of them. We will see if these kids are any good under yogi, they will all get their chance if they are good enough. And they will stay in the side if they are up to the job.:thumbsup:

blackpoolhibs
03-09-2009, 10:34 AM

I had a long conversation on monday with boltonhibs about Wotherspoon. And i said the very same thing as you. I think he could end up as a central midfielder, much like Scott Brown did. He has the ability to take the ball in and control it, he can pass, and he has a good engine. All the attributes for a good midfielder. I think he will probably play on the right for the moment, and if he keeps up the kind of form he has displayed up to now, he will keep his place too. He certainly looks a player.:thumbsup:

--------
03-09-2009, 10:45 AM
Yip thats how i saw it too. What i think is refreshing is the way yogi has made his mind up quickly, and moved the players on, who if we are all honest, were never good enough. We may have to use a few of the kids a bit more than we maybe want to this season, but i personally would prefer that to them not getting a chance because there is a hopeless journeyman playing in front of them. We will see if these kids are any good under yogi, they will all get their chance if they are good enough. And they will stay in the side if they are up to the job.:thumbsup:

:agree: No manager can successfully bring on young players if he's filled the squad with numpties, which is what IMO both Collins and Mixu did. (They didn't even get the best out of the decent players they DID sign.)

Yogi has actually made one heck of a clearout in the last three months - younger players who had topped out and were going nowhere, players who were never going to fit in with the way he wants the team to play, and numpties. (Plus, of course, Mr Marshall the goalie coach.)

There was an awful lot of dead wood in the squad when Yogi arrived. These guys were standing in the way of the younger players. Some of those youngsters will make it - others (as Deane has discovered) will not.

I can think of at least TWO senior players still with us who'll need to pull their socks up and start playing if they're going to dodge the axe in January.

ancient hibee
03-09-2009, 10:51 AM
It's a very interesting time -the days of one club 10 year players has gone-some players have used this to their advantage to generate multi signing on fees but Yogi is demonstrating that it works both ways -impress or you're out.

MacBean
03-09-2009, 10:58 AM

BH.

reminded me of mr Whittaker

Dibben
03-09-2009, 11:06 AM
:agree: No manager can successfully bring on young players if he's filled the squad with numpties, which is what IMO both Collins and Mixu did. (They didn't even get the best out of the decent players they DID sign.)

Yogi has actually made one heck of a clearout in the last three months - younger players who had topped out and were going nowhere, players who were never going to fit in with the way he wants the team to play, and numpties. (Plus, of course, Mr Marshall the goalie coach.)

There was an awful lot of dead wood in the squad when Yogi arrived. These guys were standing in the way of the younger players. Some of those youngsters will make it - others (as Deane has discovered) will not.

I can think of at least TWO senior players still with us who'll need to pull their socks up and start playing if they're going to dodge the axe in January.

IMHO Lewis & Thicot

BH.

Dibben
03-09-2009, 11:08 AM
reminded me of mr Whittaker

And to think we could have lost Whitty & Riordan to ICT in a swap deal with Bobby Mann :bitchy::grr:

BH.

Green Man
03-09-2009, 11:12 AM
Am I imagining it or has Hogg played RB on occasion?

davemcbain
03-09-2009, 11:15 AM
In fact, the wee fat baldy-heided steward (the one with bifocals and the artificial hip-joints) who usually stands up at the north end of the Shed would probably be a better RB than van Zanten.

Get it right will you - it's Stewart, he signed for Hearts a year ago and he's ginger not bald. Not sure he was much better than DVZ either.

number9dream
03-09-2009, 11:32 AM
I think we can probably afford to use DW at right-back in home games against bottom six teams and use the more defensively-minded McCann or McCormack for games when we might be up against it, pushing DW back into midfield to provide cover. Horse for course and all that... I don't want to see big Sol out there ever again!

JimBHibees
03-09-2009, 02:47 PM

Hogg and Nish I would have thought.

hibsdaft
03-09-2009, 05:52 PM

at this stage of his career its all about top level game time imo.

the most important thing is we find him a place on the pitch and if RB is the best spot for the team then i think it'll be great for him to get stuck into that for the next 6 months before moving onto a bigger platform in the middle of the park.

jgl07
03-09-2009, 06:00 PM

And to think we could have lost Whitty & Riordan to ICT in a swap deal with Bobby Mann :bitchy::grr:

I still think that was an urban myth.

brownlies bits
03-09-2009, 06:41 PM
Am I imagining it or has Hogg played RB on occasion?

Dont think Chris Hogg has played right back but reckon he would do a good job there. He would be better than anything else we have playing there at the moment, Cue all the Hoggy Haters telling me how bad he is.

McCann too wee, McCormack never be a right back, Wotherspoon has to be in midfield . Thats why we should have bought a right back. Hoggy would do for me at right back, maybe get some of the whingers on here off his back as i think he would do well . :thumbsup:

JimBHibees
03-09-2009, 07:31 PM
Dont think Chris Hogg has played right back but reckon he would do a good job there. He would be better than anything else we have playing there at the moment, Cue all the Hoggy Haters telling me how bad he is.
McCann too wee, McCormack never be a right back, Wotherspoon has to be in midfield . Thats why we should have bought a right back. Hoggy would do for me at right back, maybe get some of the whingers on here off his back as i think he would do well . :thumbsup:

He hasnt the pace to play there, we need an athletic player that can get up and back.

Shrekko
03-09-2009, 08:02 PM
I still think that was an urban myth.

The story was confirmed by John Robertson the then ICT manager.

As for our right-back problem I would strongly disagree that McCann is a better player than DVZ at this point in time. He looked a terrific prospect when he broke through but lost his way badly and is now recovering from a terrible injury.

I also think McCormick is not a natural full-back and to put Wotherspoon there would be absolutely wasteful and possibly harmful.

I'm very surprised that Yogi got rid of DVZ without having a replacement in place.

HibbyAndy
03-09-2009, 08:10 PM
The story was confirmed by John Robertson the then ICT manager.

As for our right-back problem I would strongly disagree that McCann is a better player than DVZ at this point in time. He looked a terrific prospect when he broke through but lost his way badly and is now recovering from a terrible injury.

I also think McCormick is not a natural full-back and to put Wotherspoon there would be absolutely wasteful and possibly harmful.

I'm very surprised that Yogi got rid of DVZ without having a replacement in place.

Skacel can play RB :greengrin