PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Comments from McGhee (Hibs related)

Col2
02-09-2009, 09:03 PM
Another club a little peeved that they could not compete re Stokes signing?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/aberdeen/8233682.stm

"Proven strikers just don't lie about unsigned and available. There's not a shop out there called 'Strikers Are Us'.

"Of the 30-35 players that have been signed over the summer (in the SPL), there are probably five I would want here today.

"Hibs bought the boy (Anthony) Stokes. I don't know what they paid for him but it was serious money we don't have.

BEEJ
02-09-2009, 10:00 PM
I thought this was an interesting quote as well:

"I was told on the day I took over how much money we could spend," said the manager. "It was put in terms of per week. That money is still available for me to add to the pot at Christmas but the bulk of it has been spent on the players we have signed."

Note - not told at the interview. Informed of his player budget on his first day in the job.

Fans often have a go at Managers who complain at lack of funds for new players. They argue that: "He knew what he was getting into when he took the job."

Well, not in this instance. And this will be fairly typical, I would imagine.

Woody1985
02-09-2009, 10:03 PM

"I was told on the day I took over how much money we could spend," said the manager. "It was put in terms of per week. That money is still available for me to add to the pot at Christmas but the bulk of it has been spent on the players we have signed."

Note - not told at the interview. Informed of his player budget on his first day in the job.

Fans often have a go at Managers who complain at lack of funds for new players. They argue that: "He knew what he was getting into when he took the job."

Good point.

Never thought of that before. If a rival clubs manager, transfer wise, came for an interview and were told 'You'll be given 400k for players and a wage budget of x amount' that would potentially be valuable information to other clubs competing for the same players should the manager not take/get the position.

BEEJ
02-09-2009, 10:12 PM
Good point.

Never thought of that before. If a rival clubs manager, transfer wise, came for an interview and were told 'You'll be given 400k for players and a wage budget of x amount' that would potentially be valuable information to other clubs competing for the same players should the manager not take/get the position.
:agree:

Iain G
02-09-2009, 10:39 PM
Every time McGhee opens his mouth its to moan or whinge about something, its not fair, it's never his fault and the toys get launched out of the pram again.

Get on with the job man, you DID know what you were getting into at Aberdeen, neither wonder he never seems to last long at any one club, very glad we never got him down ER way, would still be a good fit for the Yams mind you... :devil:

hibsdownunder
03-09-2009, 04:33 AM
McGhee would have known the parameters of the job and his budgets prior to accepting...more likely his comments are aimed at lowering the expectation of the Aberdeen support. success being relative the support needs to see a top 6 finish as an achievement rather than a given. with Aberdeen financials that's probably the reality for the next few years..........as a Hibby been there done it and hoping that this is the season where we go to the next level

BEEJ
03-09-2009, 07:37 AM
Every time McGhee opens his mouth its to moan or whinge about something, its not fair, it's never his fault and the toys get launched out of the pram again.

Get on with the job man, you DID know what you were getting into at Aberdeen, neither wonder he never seems to last long at any one club, very glad we never got him down ER way, would still be a good fit for the Yams mind you... :devil:
You know this for a fact, do you? He was advised of every last financial detail during the recruitment process? :cool2:

It wouldn't be the first time that a club had held back on revealing the true position on the finances for fear of driving away their favoured candidate for the Manager's post.

PeeKay
03-09-2009, 07:55 AM
Anyone with any sense would have given the previous manager a call before accepting the job. It was pretty well known that Calderwood walked because he saw no scope for improving upon what he had already.
Was there ever really any serious talk of Hibs wanting him for manager? Soooo glad it never happened. The Sheep deserve him.

TornadoHibby
03-09-2009, 08:04 AM

Good point.

This point has been discussed before some months ago in relation to our very own club when the recent manager interviews were ongoing! :wink:

http://www.hibs.net/message/showpost.php?p=2060626&postcount=116

The thread was titled "Disgrace" IIRC! :wink:

Dibben
03-09-2009, 08:09 AM
He must have had a good idea that there wasn't much £ kicking about - unless he emptied players...

Sounds like he's already started to cover his a$$ for when the fans turn!!!

BH.

SquashedFrogg
03-09-2009, 08:21 AM
I have to admit that I can't stand the man. :bitchy: But I do find it quite funny that the new manager at his previous club has been fairly well backed, (not huge amounts, granted) whilst he's checking down the back of the couch for any spare change. :tee hee:

Danderhall Hibs
03-09-2009, 08:55 AM
Anyone with any sense would have given the previous manager a call before accepting the job. It was pretty well known that Calderwood walked because he saw no scope for improving upon what he had already. Was there ever really any serious talk of Hibs wanting him for manager? Soooo glad it never happened. The Sheep deserve him.

Not that well known - he didn't walk, he was sacked. I don't think Calderwood was in the mood to talk to anyone about Aberdeen after they paid him off (£400k ish) and made him sign the confidentiality clause. See here (http://www.sundayherald.com/search/display.var.2526935.0.the_final_say.php)

McGhee's just getting his excuses in early IMO.

Dibben
03-09-2009, 09:02 AM
Not that well known - he didn't walk, he was sacked. I don't think Calderwood was in the mood to talk to anyone about Aberdeen after they paid him off (£400k ish) and made him sign the confidentiality clause. See here (http://www.sundayherald.com/search/display.var.2526935.0.the_final_say.php)

McGhee's just getting his excuses in early IMO.

BH.

Joe Baker II
03-09-2009, 09:03 AM
It was pretty well known that Calderwood walked because he saw no scope for improving upon what he had already.

Well known to whom? If what you are saying is correct, would be interested in details, not saying Scottish media and supporters websites are never wrong but this is totally contrary to what was understood at the time when Calderwood left due to being effectively dismissed.

machibby
03-09-2009, 09:05 AM
Listened to this interview and found myself getting angry at his condescending tone, god knows how a dons fans would have felt about this. Always seems to me that when things aren't going his way McGhee is desperate to deflect any responsibility from himself. Cheap comments like the 'strikers shop' one would put me off having anything to do with his team, stricks me as very similar to the blobby quote ' if you want entertainment go to the cinema. At the end of the day he took the job up there knowing the lay of the ground, if he feels it's to hard a job then he shouldn't ave taken it, otherwise he should get on with it. I think though this has more to do with him than the club, the guy wants to move up the ladder quick. Like when they got humped in europe, his comments were first about how he had been made to look a fool rather than saying it was a terrible night for all at the club.
Have to say listening to him makes me feel even more happy to have Yogi, who when asked how he felt about tight budgets just said how much he likes a challenge and finding ways round.

Dashing Bob S
03-09-2009, 09:06 AM
But would Oasis have split had he still been involved?

euro Hibby
03-09-2009, 09:08 AM
in todays game where many clubs cannot buy success you need to work long term and that means investing in youth and wide reaching contacts to tap into markets.
Hibs realised this some years ago and albeit they have also bought some dross they are very well positioned in todays business.

NORTHERNHIBBY
03-09-2009, 09:40 AM
If we are looking for consistency in the media then, should we not anticipate the skinflints and penny-pinching jibes that were aimed in our direction? Outwith anything that Celtic have done, the biggest transfer has been us buying Stokes, but that still has to play second-fiddle to Rankers bringing in a boy called Rotten on a year's loan.

chorley_fm
03-09-2009, 09:48 AM
McGhee will be gone by Christmas

--------
03-09-2009, 09:50 AM
"Strikers 'R Us" have a nice line in second-hand Finnish internationals right now.

Get right down there, Markie-boy, and sign yourself a bargain! :devil:

hibsdownunder
03-09-2009, 10:05 AM
in todays game where many clubs cannot buy success you need to work long term and that means investing in youth and wide reaching contacts to tap into markets.
Hibs realised this some years ago and albeit they have also bought some dross they are very well positioned in todays business.

:agree:no guarantees but it's now becoming clear we are ahead of our 'natural' rivals

Iain G
03-09-2009, 10:11 AM
You know this for a fact, do you? He was advised of every last financial detail during the recruitment process? :cool2:

It wouldn't be the first time that a club had held back on revealing the true position on the finances for fear of driving away their favoured candidate for the Manager's post.

Bloody hell it's Aberdeen, a club that sold its own toaster to raise funds a few years back, everyone else in Scotland knows they are skint and desperate for the cooncil to help bail them out with this new ground so old Stewarty Milne can build houses on Pittodrie, so I would have thought lil ol Mark McGhee might have had an inkling he wouldn't have two bits to rub together before he took the job on... :greengrin

jacomo
03-09-2009, 10:30 AM
I think Aberdeen might regret getting rid of Calderwood, and Motherwell will finish above them this season.

And McGhee will storm out minutes before he's sacked, screaming "It's not fair! I never wanted this stinking job anyhow, but after whoring myself to Celtic in public, I'd kinda burnt my bridges at Well."

Dibben
03-09-2009, 10:40 AM

For the last 6 years or so, we've been prudent, whilst others tried to buy success. :agree:It now appears that our plan is paying off!!

Well done RP.

BH.

BEEJ
03-09-2009, 11:39 AM
Bloody hell it's Aberdeen, a club that sold its own toaster to raise funds a few years back, everyone else in Scotland knows they are skint and desperate for the cooncil to help bail them out with this new ground so old Stewarty Milne can build houses on Pittodrie, so I would have thought lil ol Mark McGhee might have had an inkling he wouldn't have two bits to rub together before he took the job on... :greengrin
:greengrin

Aye but there's a difference between having a general view that there's not enough cash in the player budget to compete with English Championship clubs for signings, and the reality at Aberdeen this summer which has been much, much more financially constrained.

Read the description. He sounds like he's had the player budget of a QOS or a Berwick Rangers.

Don't like the man; far to egocentric for my liking and glad to see he's going to have to work hard this season for the sake of his reputation.

But in terms of process, I do think that AFC have dropped him in it. :thumbsup:

Woody1985
03-09-2009, 11:49 AM

For the last 6 years or so, we've been prudent, whilst others tried to buy success. :agree:It now appears that our plan is paying off!!

Well done RP.

BH.

I've been saying this for a while. Think where we could be in 5 years time with the progress being made. Fully completed stadium, little or no debt.

I know we still have 6 mil on the stadium to pay, IIRC, that's an interest only mortgage so if it doesn't have a floor on the rate we pay we are currently laughing, providing it tracks the base rate.

Does anyone know if the interest is at a fixed rate or was it tracking the BR? If it's the BR, this could be where the flexibility has come from for player signing. It's not anticiapted that rates will move for a while yet, and certainly not significantly.

Seveno
03-09-2009, 11:57 AM
No money at Aberdeen shock !!!!

So the secret is out. I'm surprised that this hasn't been picked up by the Reuters and flashed around the footballing world.

What a tosser that man is.

WindyMiller
03-09-2009, 12:25 PM
This point has been discussed before some months ago in relation to our very own club when the recent manager interviews were ongoing! :wink:

http://www.hibs.net/message/showpost.php?p=2060626&postcount=116

The thread was titled "Disgrace" IIRC! :wink:

And the OP hasn't posted since that day!

--------
03-09-2009, 12:36 PM
And the OP hasn't posted since that day!

D'you think that ap_mccoy maybe got the job? :cool2:

lapsedhibee
03-09-2009, 01:10 PM
Like when they got humped in europe, his comments were first about how he had been made to look a fool rather than saying it was a terrible night for all at the club.

Although Alex Miller did some good things during his time at ER, my abiding memory of his tenure as far as interviews go was one he gave immediately after a 7-0 hiding at ipox. The gist of it was how his players had embarrassed him. Awful, awful attitude in a manager.

Peevemor
03-09-2009, 01:15 PM
Although Alex Miller did some good things during his time at ER, my abiding memory of his tenure as far as interviews go was one he gave immediately after a 7-0 hiding at ipox. The gist of it was how his players had embarrassed him. Awful, awful attitude in a manager.

Also when interviewed by Hazel Irvine after the league cup win - "I'm a winner". :wtf:

ahibby
03-09-2009, 01:21 PM
"It's not fantasy money" well made me laugh.

iwasthere1972
03-09-2009, 01:28 PM
"It's not fantasy money" well made me laugh.

:agree: Sounds a bit like the wife. Knew what the monthly budget was but still complained when she had spent it in the first week on a load of Nade. I did what Miller will be doing in a few months. :wink: