PDA

View Full Version : First Ever Away Hibs European Game

Hibby Bairn
02-09-2009, 08:09 PM
Liege 1989. Night of the extra-time shot from the half way line!!!

Memories of the FIFA bar right outside the ground. Never knew I could speak Flemish :greengrin

SteveHFC
02-09-2009, 08:48 PM
Mines is Dnipro.

Remember the plane on the thursday morning getting delayed for about 3hrs.

Ray_
02-09-2009, 08:57 PM
Liverpool 1970, off the Hawkhill branch bus on the Wednesday morning & straight off to school, I was given the Tuesday off to go but had to in on the following morning.

blackpoolhibs
02-09-2009, 09:02 PM
Liverpool 1970, off the Hawkhill branch bus on the Wednesday morning & straight off to school, I was given the Tuesday off to go but had to in on the following morning.

I was going to post it was the Sochaux game, as i had completely forgotten about the liverpool one. Went down with my dad, grandad and next door neighbour. My dad hired a car and we went down then straight back after the game.

surreyhibbie
02-09-2009, 09:03 PM
Leeds united. drew 0-0 and played really well after Jackie Charlton had rubbished us before the game. It was a great night and me and my mate Eddie ended up being fed free beer in the official Supporters' club by their Secretary.

Happy days...

Penrith Hibee
02-09-2009, 09:04 PM
Leeds at Elland Road 0-0. Higgins missed a sitter at the back post. Rednap's mother could have scored it...

Sas_The_Hibby
02-09-2009, 09:18 PM
Leeds at Elland Road 0-0. Higgins missed a sitter at the back post. Rednap's mother could have scored it...

I was there too and it was just unfortunate that Mrs Rednap was being played at left back on the night...........

HibbyAndy
02-09-2009, 09:20 PM
Liege 1989. Night of the extra-time shot from the half way line!!!

Memories of the FIFA bar right outside the ground. Never knew I could speak Flemish :greengrin

A was there:agree: Halloween it was. 31st October.

DC_Hibs
02-09-2009, 09:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/user/haan35yards

Crab apple
02-09-2009, 09:28 PM
Norkopping. We won. Late 1970's IIRC. Anyone help with the year? I think we got put out by Strasbourg in the next round.

Ray_
02-09-2009, 09:34 PM
I was going to post it was the Sochaux game, as i had completely forgotten about the liverpool one. Went down with my dad, grandad and next door neighbour. My dad hired a car and we went down then straight back after the game.

We went to the Liverpool supporters club after the game & stayed to about midnight. The Liverpool fans in the club were great, they started chanting H-I-B-E-R-N-I-A-N HIBERNIAN na na na etc, in the club, altering their song L-I-V etc & the in following match we started singing it.

andudare2
02-09-2009, 09:38 PM
first leeds game , got beat 1-0 stein sent off? , then 4 step rule costing us in the 2nd leg, think hibs may have been the first team to suffer by losing a goal in europe to this rule?:confused:

Ringothedog
02-09-2009, 09:39 PM
Naples 4-1 Hibs i was only 8 but we were on holiday at the time, next one was videoton away

Sas_The_Hibby
02-09-2009, 09:39 PM
Naples 4-1 Hibs

There's just no way back from a score like that............... :wink:

HibbyAndy
02-09-2009, 09:41 PM
There's just no way back from a score like that............... :wink:

Especially with Dino Zoff in goals :cool2:

Ringothedog
02-09-2009, 09:58 PM
And wasnt at the return game:grr: first home game was malmo 6-1

Baldy Foghorn
02-09-2009, 10:01 PM
Videoton, flew on Charter with the team..... Is that really 20 years ago?:confused::confused:

WindyMiller
02-09-2009, 10:09 PM

I'm sure it was the Hawkhill bus that I went down on. Definitely remember having a good night in their club.

Phone in sick in the morning before leaving but my gaffer knew where I'd been and docked my wages. :grr:

HibbyAndy
02-09-2009, 10:09 PM
Videoton, flew on Charter with the team..... Is that really 20 years ago?:confused::confused:

Christ was that really 20 years ago:bitchy:

Houchen Evans and Collins IIRC.

Mag7
02-09-2009, 10:13 PM
When did football fans really start travelling to away games? I remember reading around the time of the 50th anniversary of Hibs being the first British team to play in the European Cup that they were well supported by British servicemen stationed near some of the away grounds, but I'd imagine it would have been prohibitively expensive for fans to go abroad in the 50s and 60s?

surreyhibbie
02-09-2009, 10:19 PM

:grr: missed that game, after my first 5 Hibs games all ended 0-0, my mate was ill so we couldn't go to see Malmo at ER (I was wee).

Couldn't believe the score when I heard it...:boo hoo:

the happy hibee
02-09-2009, 11:15 PM
:grr: missed that game, after my first 5 Hibs games all ended 0-0, my mate was ill so we couldn't go to see Malmo at ER (I was wee).

I was there brian and i was wee,great memories from the leeds game do you remember the graveyard after the game it was a scream.:wink::wink:

James70
02-09-2009, 11:20 PM
Liverpool in the mid 70s, Hibs had just lost to Montrose and Stanton was dropped for the match at Anfield. Toshack scored his first ever hat trick for Liverpool that night. I remember walking round Liverpool before the game and all their fans kept saying "We're going to merder you tonight" and they weren't far wrong!

sleeping giant
03-09-2009, 08:01 AM
Videoton (sp) at ER. I was in the Dunbar end.
I remember Sneddon getting blootered with a right sair yin and looking like he was having a fit on the turf.

Cue the "one Alan Sneddon" song:greengrin First time i had heard that.

Edit : Just noticed that it was away matches :-)

sleeping giant
03-09-2009, 08:02 AM
Christ was that really 20 years ago:bitchy:

Houchen Evans and Collins IIRC.

Sneddon:greengrin

Dibben
03-09-2009, 08:17 AM
Anderlecht in 1992.

Travelled 18 hours by official coach myself (convoy from ER) and met up with friends when there!!

Out on away goals... :grr:

BH.

FifeHibby
03-09-2009, 08:29 AM

Same for me, great trip

Steve-O
03-09-2009, 08:32 AM
Dnipro for me. Cracking trip, despite it only lasting about 36 hours in total :greengrin

JoeT
03-09-2009, 08:34 AM
Anderlecht in 1992.

Travelled 18 hours by official coach myself (convoy from ER) and met up with friends when there!!

BH.

Mine too, went with boys on the old Pumphy/Broxburn bus

wee 162
03-09-2009, 08:34 AM
Videoton by bus. Which took a while... Done dishes in a hotel for the summer at the age of 15 to be able to afford it.

number 27
03-09-2009, 08:50 AM
Anderlecht in 1992.

BH.

Mine too, absolutely brilliant trip, a decent performance as well. Was it not a dodgy penalty in first leg that put us out ?

Dibben
03-09-2009, 08:57 AM
Mine too, absolutely brilliant trip, a decent performance as well. Was it not a dodgy penalty in first leg that put us out ?

You could be right, think we scored early (Dave Beaumont), but got a late equaliser! In fact, IIRC, we had a good goal disallowed, which bounced down and crossed the line.

BH.

number 27
03-09-2009, 09:03 AM
You could be right, think we scored early (Dave Beaumont), but got a late equaliser! In fact, IIRC, we had a good goal disallowed, which bounced down and crossed the line.

BH.

And was Mickey Weir not sent off ?

Looking back that was a cracking match :agree:

I reckon that's why it still seems worthwhile qualifying for Europe despite recent Scottish disasters. These games are really special and its a shame there's been so few recently.

wandering_hibby
03-09-2009, 09:06 AM
Mine was AEK in sep 2001! Was on one of the planes that landed then got told it was cancelled think I was about 13. Mind that night being in theat big square, with a few older hibbys sneaking me a couple of the big bottles of beers...Also met Pat Stanton, good times. We couldn't afford the rearranged game in Athens and couldn't make it to Dnipro. So still not seen Hibs away in Europe. Seem to remember there was some trouble on the flight back with one of the stewards and we nearly had to land in Manchester?

Dibben
03-09-2009, 09:07 AM
And was Mickey Weir not sent off ?

Looking back that was a cracking match :agree:

I reckon that's why it still seems worthwhile qualifying for Europe despite recent Scottish disasters. These games are really special and its a shame there's been so few recently.

Yeah, think he was... those were the days!!!

Was a cracking game!

BH.

New Corrie
03-09-2009, 09:11 AM
First away was Liege, first home was Leeds

Did anyone go to Oesters?

gringojoe
03-09-2009, 09:56 AM

I was on that charter, Goram dressed as a stewardess:confused:

cwilliamson85
03-09-2009, 10:00 AM
still not seen hibs in Europe.

there is always next year :pray:

soupy
03-09-2009, 10:05 AM
My first uefa cup match was Anderlecht in Sept 92,,,,although i did travel to Magdeburg for pre season wi the Carlton branch, in 1990, not that i remember too much of that one....:greengrin:greengrin

Ray_
03-09-2009, 12:01 PM

When did Malmo get their goal?:devil:, they did score two in their home game, Hibs got three though:thumbsup:

Ray_
03-09-2009, 12:24 PM

That was a very poor season for Hibs, I recall during that season we also beat Forfar 8-1 in the Scottish Cup, on our way to the famous semi against Rangers, famous due to Dave Ewing being overheard in the dressing room, after the game, stating "Rangers are rubbish", [take note Mr Brack:greengrin]. In an earlier round, Arthur Duncan's wonder goal gave us a 2-1 victory at Tynie, John Hazel getting the first.

Other highlights that season was Jim Blair getting 2 goals against Rangers in a 3-2 win, which on a fog bound ER, was watched by a poor crowd of just under 19k. Also we had Joe Baker scoring on his début & Paddy Stanton scoring a screamer against Aberdeen in the same game, which was the first goal Bobby Clark conceded in around ten matches, only beaten by Van Der Sar last season.

Back then even the guff seasons stood out:greengrin

Feed McGraw
03-09-2009, 01:25 PM
Liverpool in the mid 70s, Hibs had just lost to Montrose and Stanton was dropped for the match at Anfield. Toshack scored his first ever hat trick for Liverpool that night. I remember walking round Liverpool before the game and all their fans kept saying "We're going to merder you tonight" and they weren't far wrong!

Well I don`t know about that. If Brownlie hadn`t missed the penalty in the first leg , we were through on away goals !

mixuok
03-09-2009, 01:27 PM
liverpool 1970 great day :top marks