PDA

View Full Version : worst player to ever wear a Scotland jersey?

andrew_dundee
02-09-2009, 07:53 PM
Scott Gemmil?

jgl07
02-09-2009, 07:55 PM
Brian Kerr?

Green Mikey
02-09-2009, 07:56 PM
The was plenty candidates during Vogts' reign....Robbie Stockdale anyone:dizzy:

Mixu62
02-09-2009, 07:59 PM
Didn't Dave McPherson get capped? If so then him, though Scot Gemmill is hard to beat.

HibeeUnderwood
02-09-2009, 08:02 PM
Lee Wilkie :grr:

Steven Thompson's up there too! :grr:

Hanny
02-09-2009, 08:09 PM
List of Scotland international footballers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Scotland_international_footballers_(alphab etical))

Peter Canero :faf:

deek68
02-09-2009, 08:14 PM
Me

Jonnyboy
02-09-2009, 08:16 PM
Good stats there :thumbsup:

Hearts' Terrible Trio of Conn, Bauld and Wardhaugh managed a total of just 5 caps between them and just 3 goals.

Their Edinburgh adversaries Smith, Johnstone, Reilly, Turnbull and Ormond managed a combined total of 87 caps and 38 goals.

No bad for a wee team :wink: :greengrin

southfieldshibby
02-09-2009, 08:18 PM
Ian ferguson.

T*at

Hibby Bairn
02-09-2009, 08:19 PM
Warren Cummings :bye: :confused:
Maurice Ross (12 caps) :bye:
Mike Galloway :bye:
Gareth Williams :bye: :confused:

Randerson_4
02-09-2009, 08:21 PM
In the time I've been watching Scotland, Broadfoot has to be right up there

Hanny
02-09-2009, 08:23 PM

Yer ****in joking! Twelve caps!!! :faf:

Also, Robbie Neilson and Gary McSwegan :Ummm:

Jonnyboy
02-09-2009, 08:23 PM
Gary Caldwell? :devil:

Hiber-nation
02-09-2009, 08:29 PM
If you search for "2002" in that list it throws up some stoaters, some mentioned already like Warren Cummings (who's barely heard of himself), Andy (no not him) Gray, Robbie Stockdale and Gareth Williams. To be fair the usless wee git blooded the likes of Fletcher and McFadden although I suppose he didnae have a choice.

deek68
02-09-2009, 08:30 PM
Stewart Kennedy 1975. Which reminds me, Frank Haffey, 1961. Emigrated to Australia thereafter so i'm told.

Jonnyboy
02-09-2009, 08:31 PM
Stewart Kennedy 1975. Which reminds me, Frank Haffey, 1961. Emigrated to Australia thereafter so i'm told.

Shipped 14 goals between them in just two games :bitchy:

Hiber-nation
02-09-2009, 08:32 PM
Francis Munro and Eddie Colquhoun were gantin back in the day.

deek68
02-09-2009, 08:36 PM

Kennedy wrapping himself round the post after failing to save a Gerry Francis (i think) shot. Awful..

Hibbyradge
02-09-2009, 08:37 PM
Me?

Nah, there's been worse than me.

Surely?

deek68
02-09-2009, 08:39 PM
Me?

Nah, there's been worse than me.

Surely?

I'm sorry Mr Caldwell. It's you.

steviehfc
02-09-2009, 08:44 PM
Unfortunately there is far too much pish that has played for Scotland to be able to single out just one.

Tomsk
02-09-2009, 09:00 PM
Lee McCulloch

Mibbes Aye
02-09-2009, 09:15 PM
There's probably a distinction to be made between those who got a single or handful of caps and those who played regularly despite being utter gash.

Gemmill Jr jumps out for getting 26 caps but the vast majority were subs.

Maurice Ross got a dozen or so caps - don't know if that counts as a lot but it's certainly a few too many :greengrin

Brian McClair is perhaps a good candidate for leading disappointment. An absolute 100% goal machine for Celtc, maybe scored less for Man U but was in a different role and was an integral part of Ferguson's plans, yet never really found a platform in the Scotland team for his talents.

Aitchy
02-09-2009, 09:20 PM
It has to be Kevin Kyle. Awful. Having said that Scott Dobie was honking as well. They were the forward line in Vogts' first competitive match, with Maurice Ross and Stephen Crainey as full-backs. He makes Burley look semi-competent.

MSK
02-09-2009, 09:21 PM
Colin Calderwood was absolute pants ...

Hiber-nation
02-09-2009, 09:52 PM
Colin Calderwood was absolute pants ...

Disagree, he was solid in Paw Broon's 5 centre halves defensive line up - until the time he got told to play right wing back in that game at the pbs when Leighton had a 'mare (Estonia?). Turned round to the bench shaking his head after half an hour of torture and told Broon that he couldnae play there.

sleeping giant
02-09-2009, 09:54 PM
Rod Stewart !!

HibbyAndy
02-09-2009, 09:59 PM
Gary Teale.

Hopeless.

Winston Ingram
02-09-2009, 10:08 PM

Forgot about him. He wasnae that bad. Free agent at the moment apparently :hmmm:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gareth_Williams_(Scottish_footballer)

LaMotta
02-09-2009, 10:11 PM
Dave Bowman.

He actually got six caps, around 1992/93, which probably goes some way to explaining why we never qualified for USA 94.

HibbyAndy
02-09-2009, 10:12 PM
Another joker ..Gary Mackay.

Winston Ingram
02-09-2009, 10:12 PM
Robbie Nielsen:agree:

HibbyAndy
02-09-2009, 10:13 PM
Robbie Nielsen:agree:

Dinnae say he got capped?

LaMotta
02-09-2009, 10:14 PM

he played in the Ukraine, when Pressley got sent off as well.

Henry Smith, 3 Caps.....

Winston Ingram
02-09-2009, 10:14 PM

He did. Away in the Ukraine iirc

Mag7
02-09-2009, 10:17 PM
The guy who missed an open goal from a foot out v Norway. That'll probably be his only cap and it's hard to imagine anyone having a worse moment in their only international appearance.

Woody1985
02-09-2009, 10:19 PM
The guy who missed an open goal from a foot out v Norway. That'll probably be his only cap and it's hard to imagine anyone having a worse moment in their only international appearance.

Iweloumo? From Paisley IIRC. :LOL:

libernian
02-09-2009, 10:22 PM
Gordon (Sunderland), N Alexander (Rangers), Marshall (Cardiff) Barr (Falkirk), McManus (Celtic), Berra (Wolves), G Caldwell (Celtic), S Caldwell (Burnley), Davidson (Preston), Hutton (Tottenham), McAllister (Bristol City), Whittaker (Rangers), Weir (Rangers); G Alexander (Burnley) Brown (Celtic), Commons (Derby), D Fletcher (Manchester United), Hartley (Bristol City) McFadden (Birmingham), Maloney (Celtic); Clarkson (Bristol City), S Fletcher (Burnley), Kyle (Kilmarnock), Miller (Rangers), Naismith (Rangers).

take your pick

Bishop Hibee
02-09-2009, 10:30 PM
Gordon (Sunderland), N Alexander (Rangers), Marshall (Cardiff) Barr (Falkirk), McManus (Celtic), Berra (Wolves), G Caldwell (Celtic), S Caldwell (Burnley), Davidson (Preston), Hutton (Tottenham), McAllister (Bristol City), Whittaker (Rangers), Weir (Rangers); G Alexander (Burnley) Brown (Celtic), Commons (Derby), D Fletcher (Manchester United), Hartley (Bristol City) McFadden (Birmingham), Maloney (Celtic); Clarkson (Bristol City), S Fletcher (Burnley), Kyle (Kilmarnock), Miller (Rangers), Naismith (Rangers).

take your pick

:yawn:

Ally Dawson. I had the misfortune to see him being embarrassed by Ian Stewart(?), the Northern Ireland winger who played for QPR at the time in a mind numbing 0-0 draw in 1983 at Hampden. Truly dreadful.

iwasthere1972
02-09-2009, 10:31 PM
Gary Teale must be high up the list. :agree:

HibbyAndy
02-09-2009, 10:32 PM
Gary Teale must be high up the list. :agree:

You canne copy me Rab :greengrin

iwasthere1972
02-09-2009, 10:45 PM

To be honest I nominated Teale then had a browse at the other nominees. It was only then I noticed you also gave Teale the gong. I then thought to myself Andy will think I've copied him - ******. :agree:

Billychaotic182
02-09-2009, 10:47 PM

am going for Gary Teale as well.

Him or Christian Dailly

HibbyAndy
02-09-2009, 10:47 PM
To be honest I nominated Teale then had a browse at the other nominees. It was only then I noticed you also gave Teale the gong. I then thought to myself Andy will think I've copied him - ******. :agree:

Its cool Rab.. us burdiesiders think the same:greengrin

HibbyAndy
02-09-2009, 10:49 PM
am going for Gary Teale as well.

Him or Christian Dailly

Ad rather have ma baws kicked dailly:agree:

crewetollhibee
02-09-2009, 10:56 PM
George Wood goalie 1979 v. England at Wembley. Roughie was injured and Woods took half an hour to get down to a trundler from Peter Barnes which made it 1-1 just before half time.We then went on to lose 3-1. Anybody remember who Jock Stein's assistant was at that game ?

iwasthere1972
02-09-2009, 11:00 PM
I would also say Stewart Kennedy who was our goalkeeper when we lost 5-1 to England at Wembley.

2mins 25secs into video. :grr:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N31PhsJ2B_Y

Dashing Bob S
02-09-2009, 11:59 PM
Some wonderful names from the past there. It shows that at least in this, we have riches galore.

What position did Robbie Stockdale play?

poolman
03-09-2009, 12:03 AM
I would also say Stewart Kennedy who was our goalkeeper when we lost 5-1 to England at Wembley.

2mins 25secs into video. :grr:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N31PhsJ2B_Y

Was at that game

Pal o mine shouted "they shot the wrong ****in Kennedy" when he went off the pitch :faf:

Dashing Bob S
03-09-2009, 12:08 AM
Just remembered - full back.

Kennedy

Stockdale Cummings Caldwell (G) Ross

Kerr Commons Williams

Thomson Teale

That would be decent Scotland side. I believe they all still play apart from Kennedy.

euro Hibby
03-09-2009, 06:50 AM
john Spencer.......ex hun who later went south

Steve-O
03-09-2009, 07:35 AM
Dashing Bob just reminded me - Stevie Thomson. He was pish, I always said he was too.

Graham Alexander? Crud.

Barry Ferguson takes the cake though. Pure shiiite.

Tomsk
03-09-2009, 08:39 AM
George Wood goalie 1979 v. England at Wembley. Roughie was injured and Woods took half an hour to get down to a trundler from Peter Barnes which made it 1-1 just before half time.We then went on to lose 3-1. Anybody remember who Jock Stein's assistant was at that game ?

I am sure it was Ned Turnbull.

Hainan Hibs
03-09-2009, 08:40 AM
Graham Alexander for me, may as well be playing 10 men with that Noddy in the team. Makes my blood boil everytime he plays:grr:

New Corrie
03-09-2009, 08:41 AM
No mention of Glasgow born centre back Brian McAllister.....from Wimbledon fringe player to Scotland Cap to Non League football to Pub Football in the space of about a year.

Tomsk
03-09-2009, 08:42 AM
If number of caps is factored in it's got to be Christian "I could never play for any Scottish team other than Dundee United" Dailly.

Stonewall
03-09-2009, 09:08 AM
If number of caps is factored in it's got to be Christian "I could never play for any Scottish team other than Dundee United" Dailly.

Have to agree.

Peter Grant must be worth a mention though.

--------
03-09-2009, 09:19 AM
Gary Caldwell? :devil:

His brother?

I 've hunted through the teams and the only other brothers I can find who have played together for Scotland apart from Dumb abd Dumber Caldwell are the Shaws - Davie and Jock - who played against Switzerland just after the war. The Shaw family come from Annethill, a village of about 200 inhabitants not far from the Caldera. The team against Switzerland had Jock Shaw as captain - better known as 'Tiger' and captain of Rangers - at RB; his brother Davie - who played for us in the Famous Five team - at LB; and Frank Brennan of Newcastle at centre-half. the reason I mention this is because Frank Brennan also came from Annethill - the whole Scotland back line came from one wee village that afternoon. They'd all stroll into the team now.

In regard to goalies, I know Haffey and Kennedy have great claims to be the two greatest huddies ever to don the Scotland goalkeeper's jersey, but might I nominate Fred Martin of Aberdeen?

His record:

He started with a clean sheet in a 1-0 win against Norway at Hampden in May 1954. The return was drawn 1-1. No great harm there.

He played in our first ever appearance at the World Cup Finals the following month. We lost 0-1 to Austria, and 0-7 to Uruguay.

On the basis of THAT sterling performance, the Scotland selectors decided he should play against England at Wembley the following year - result, England 7 (seven) Scotland 2. To quote the SFA website: "The game was a personal tragedy for goalkeeper Freddie Martin, whose fumble in the first minute led to the opening goal." Reading on, it does appear that Fred wasnae awfy good at dealing with crosses. FOUR goals from crosses. Nothing changes.

Lawrie Reilly played that day (and scored to bring us back into the game briefly), as did Bobby Johnstone. John Cumming was in defence.

Any OTHER international goalkeeper anyone knows who shipped 7 (seven) in successive games for his country?

As another outfield nominee, I'd go for Derek Parlane.

J-C
03-09-2009, 11:14 AM
Davy Bowman
Mark Burchill
Bobby Connor?
Warren Cummings :confused: (who)
Richard Hughes
Graeme Murty
Paul Telfer

NORTHERNHIBBY
03-09-2009, 11:18 AM
Davie Dodds. If he had used his real name, John Merrick, I don't think he would have got a game.

New Corrie
03-09-2009, 11:25 AM
[QUOTE=Doddie;2160188]His brother?

I 've hunted through the teams and the only other brothers I can find who have played together for Scotland apart from Dumb abd Dumber Caldwell are the Shaws - Davie and Jock - who played against Switzerland just after the war. The Shaw family come from Annethill, a village of about 200 inhabitants not far from the Caldera. The team against Switzerland had Jock Shaw as captain - better known as 'Tiger' and captain of Rangers - at RB; his brother Davie - who played for us in the Famous Five team - at LB; and Frank Brennan of Newcastle at centre-half. the reason I mention this is because Frank Brennan also came from Annethill - the whole Scotland back line came from one wee village that afternoon. They'd all stroll into the team now.

I didn't realise that the Shaw brothers came from Annathill (proper spelling Doddie), slight deviation here, but as I am sure you know Doddie, that village beacame a Ghost Town after the closure of Bedlay. There was nothing left, even their War memorial was moved to Glenboig.

Sandy
03-09-2009, 11:44 AM
Davy Bowman
Mark Burchill
Bobby Connor?
Warren Cummings :confused: (who)
Richard Hughes
Graeme Murty
Paul Telfer

Was a left back signed for Chelsea, he worked in the same bar as me in Aberdeen where he was a no bad glass collector :greengrin. Robbie Stockdale gets my vote, he was RANK

--------
03-09-2009, 11:53 AM
[QUOTE=Doddie;2160188]His brother?

I didn't realise that the Shaw brothers came from Annathill (proper spelling Doddie), slight deviation here, but as I am sure you know Doddie, that village beacame a Ghost Town after the closure of Bedlay. There was nothing left, even their War memorial was moved to Glenboig.

Apologies, corrie - Annathill. Absolutely right. Gone now. Very sad.

Actually, I'm wrong - those three probably wouldn't get a game now. The game they played was a totally different game to what Scotland were playing the last time I saw them. Something called 'football' - maybe someone should tell George Burley about it. He might want to try it some time.

khib70
03-09-2009, 12:00 PM
[QUOTE=corrie greens;2160356]

Apologies, corrie - Annathill. Absolutely right. Gone now. Very sad.

Actually, I'm wrong - those three probably wouldn't get a game now. The game they played was a totally different game to what Scotland were playing the last time I saw them. Something called 'football' - maybe someone should tell George Burley about it. He might want to try it some time.
Bit of a hijack this. Didn't the Shankly brothers come from Glenbuck (of Cherrypickers fame), another village now completely vanished. And while we're hijacking, very interesting article in the Scotsman today about the vanished Lanarkshire community of Wilsontown.

Oh yes - worst Scotland player - Stewart Kennedy for me (the keeper, not the half-decent Aberdeen fullback who now runs a pub in Falkirk)

--------
03-09-2009, 12:15 PM
[QUOTE=Doddie;2160399]
Bit of a hijack this. Didn't the Shankly brothers come from Glenbuck (of Cherrypickers fame), another village now completely vanished. And while we're hijacking, very interesting article in the Scotsman today about the vanished Lanarkshire community of Wilsontown.

Oh yes - worst Scotland player - Stewart Kennedy for me (the keeper, not the half-decent Aberdeen fullback who now runs a pub in Falkirk)

Not a hijack - merely a digression. I originally suggested Gary Caldwell's appalling brother as a candidate for worst Scotland player ever. that's where the rest of it came from - the juxtaposition of the excellent Shaw brothers with the appallingly club-footed Caldwells.

And Bill Shankly played for Scotland - Bob did not. (At least, according to the SFA archive.) Bill played 5 games in 1938-39 - would have played more but for the war.

Jonnyboy
03-09-2009, 12:28 PM
Was at that game

Pal o mine shouted "they shot the wrong ****in Kennedy" when he went off the pitch :faf:

Me too. Felt so sorry for Arthur Duncan who wore number 11 that day

Tomsk
03-09-2009, 12:43 PM
Me too. Felt so sorry for Arthur Duncan who wore number 11 that day

I never thought Duncan was really good enough to play for Scotland. He actually got more caps than Cropley, Edwards, Gordon and O'Rourke together, not hard when last three got none. The first two were better players by miles and the latter two were more natural goalscorers.

Arfur's stiil a legend though! :thumbsup:

crewetollhibee
03-09-2009, 12:58 PM
I am sure it was Ned Turnbull.
Perfectly correct !!:thumbsup:

Jonnyboy
03-09-2009, 01:05 PM
I never thought Duncan was really good enough to play for Scotland. He actually got more caps than Cropley, Edwards, Gordon and O'Rourke together, not hard when last three got none. The first two were better players by miles and the latter two were more natural goalscorers.

Arfur's stiil a legend though! :thumbsup:

Indeed :agree::greengrin

Cocaine&Caviar
03-09-2009, 01:06 PM
Jay McLevely

--------
03-09-2009, 01:09 PM
Is there no end to this list of Scottish footballing non-talent, I ask myself?

:shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

ballengeich
03-09-2009, 02:48 PM
Is there no end to this list of Scottish footballing non-talent, I ask myself?

:shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

It looks likely to continue indefinitely - unfortunately.

Bayern Bru
03-09-2009, 03:32 PM
Matt Elliott?

I believe that, despite being a centre back, he was included as a centre forward a few times?

Scored 1 in 18 games, and didn't get a kick of the ball at France '98.

The Green Goblin
03-09-2009, 04:13 PM
brian mcclair

SteveHFC
03-09-2009, 04:15 PM
Greame Murty

lEXO
03-09-2009, 04:53 PM
Gary Holt.Ginger twat that used to play for Killie and Norwich.

PiemanP
03-09-2009, 06:21 PM
This idiot http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBMitdUoSvA

how the hell did he miss :grr::grr:

It wasnt the defeat in norway that derailed us, it was that bloody miss!

brownlies bits
03-09-2009, 06:52 PM
Worst player in a Scotland football jersey has to be the one and only,

Yam leg end Gary "Mr hertz asshole" Mackay a.k.a. racist ****

:jamboak:

wpj
03-09-2009, 07:50 PM

That name brings back memories:

Oh S....y s....y
s....y s....y s....y s....y Galloway :singing::singing::singing:

500miles
03-09-2009, 08:31 PM
This idiot http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBMitdUoSvA

how the hell did he miss :grr::grr:

It wasnt the defeat in norway that derailed us, it was that bloody miss!

To be fair to him, when he came on it was the first time we maintained any sort of pressure.

Also a wee word for McEvely. Not a bad left wingback in my book, and certainly a better option than Alexander. Still young at 24, and would have got more caps had it not been for injuries. Although, his Scots' roots are fairly contrived (grandparent rule) so I wouldn't have him in a Scotland shirt anyway.