PDA

View Full Version : The Tedious Embarrassing Bore That Is The Scottish National Team.

Dashing Bob S
02-09-2009, 09:37 AM
Surely after the Norway debacle, people can't be daft enough to set themselves up, village-idiot style, for some more deluded pro-Scotland "we can do it boys" rantings prior to next weeks impossible task of qualifying for the play-offs?

If you want to serve the national team, I would suggest forgetting all about it until they have a major shake-up and the next set-up is ran by people who remotely know what they're doing.

PS : If Wotherspoon played for Rangers, the press would be baying for him to be shoehorned in for the next game. Thankfully, for him, he doesn't and can't be tainted by association with that mess.

I think that Scotland must be one of the few European countries were being capped depletes your transfer value.

poolman
02-09-2009, 09:39 AM
Surely after the Norway debacle, people can't be daft enough to set themselves up, village-idiot style, for some more deluded pro-Scotland "we can do it boys" rantings prior to next weeks impossible task of qualifying for the play-offs?

If you want to serve the national team, I would suggest forgetting all about it until they have a major shake-up and the next set-up is ran by people who remotely know what they're doing.

PS : If Wotherspoon played for Rangers, the press would be baying for him to be shoehorned in for the next game. Thankfully, for him, he doesn't and can't be tainted by association with that mess.
I think that Scotland must be one of the few European countries were being capped depletes your transfer value.

:top marks

Ah la Fleck :agree:

Steve-O
02-09-2009, 09:43 AM

Who it turns out is pish in reality.

Mag7
02-09-2009, 09:47 AM

I was looking at the fixture list for this weekend to see if Hibs were likely to get back to winning ways and then realised it's a b****y international weekend. I really can't be ersed with them and the sooner Scotland's latest failure to qualify for a major tournament is confirmed (and Burley sacked) the better. Then we can get back to the football that matters.

Sylar
02-09-2009, 09:52 AM
I've quite deliberately scheduled to play golf at 3.00pm on Saturday, as I can't be bothered with Scotland's pathetic attempt to bundle through against nations we should be comfortable against.

It wouldn't surprise me one iota if Macedonia pumped us.

I'd perhaps feel different if Burley were not in charge - he couldn't pick his nose!

NCAA Football starts on Saturday evening, which is far more important for me.

khib70
02-09-2009, 09:52 AM

The only tedious embarrasing bore here is your constant sniping at the national team. It's predictable and unamusing - two traits I would not normally associate with yourself.

None of us are so naive as to think the current squad are world-beaters, or indeed world-botherers. However, being Scottish, and unashamedly proud of it, they are my national team and I will support them and wish them well.

I'll be right behind the team on Saturday, while you're presumably sulking in your lair along with the other gurning miserablists backing you up on this thread:saltireflag

Dashing Bob S
02-09-2009, 09:53 AM
I was looking at the fixture list for this weekend to see if Hibs were likely to get back to winning ways and then realised it's a b****y international weekend. I really can't be ersed with them and the sooner Scotland's latest failure to qualify for a major tournament is confirmed (and Burley sacked) the better. Then we can get back to the football that matters.

Agree with a vengeance. I'm enjoying this season and dislike it being interrupted watching a perenialy useless crowd of deadbeats, picked by a jakey, embarrassing the nation with their stunning ineptitude. Can we just concede those games without playing them, and can Hibs please arrange a friendly for Saturday?

hibeemarley
02-09-2009, 09:53 AM
I'm, going to both games and I say c'mon boys we can do it.

We've beaten France home and away why shouldn't we be able to beat Macedonia and Holland at home. It's football anything can happen.

Dashing Bob S
02-09-2009, 09:55 AM
The only tedious embarrasing bore here is your constant sniping at the national team. It's predictable and unamusing - two traits I would not normally associate with yourself.

None of us are so naive as to think the current squad are world-beaters, or indeed world-botherers. However, being Scottish, and unashamedly proud of it, they are my national team and I will support them and wish them well.

I'll be right behind the team on Saturday, while you're presumably sulking in your lair:saltireflag

Hey! This is meant to be a negative thread! No hijacking!

Never before has a good old sulk in my lair sounded so seductive, however.

Alicky Ranks
02-09-2009, 09:56 AM
Agree with a vengeance. I'm enjoying this season and dislike it being interrupted watching a perenialy useless crowd of deadbeats, picked by a jakey, embarrassing the nation with their stunning ineptitude. Can we just concede those games without playing them, and can Hibs please arrange a friendly for Saturday?

Scrap the Scotland team and bring on team GB :wink:

Hainan Hibs
02-09-2009, 09:59 AM
Big fan of the national team but looking at the group tables even with two wins our chances of getting into the top 8 of 2nd place teams look minimal.

I'll be right behind the team as always on Saturday, too many people on here seem to think they are "cool" or "different" because they take swipes at the national team but it's just boring to read.

Scotland needs a big shake up though, Miller as 1 up front doesn't work, he's pish, playing washed up cannae be arsed auld firm players doesn't work either. Selecting players like Naismith who doesn't get a game doesn't work either.

To finish off, I am a massive Scotland fan who knows that our chances are minimal but will continue to support the team with 100% backing. I realise also that Scottish football needs changes all over and the team is pish because of crap selection amongst other things, but the "cool" people who constantly bash it and who are somehow above everyone else because they are "cool" enough to do other things when Scotland are playing are just mind-numbingly boring, we've heard it enough:yawn:.

bod
02-09-2009, 10:01 AM
Scrap the Scotland team and bring on team GB :wink:

:fishin:

Judas Iscariot
02-09-2009, 10:03 AM

Well said Robert :agree:

Tomsk
02-09-2009, 10:04 AM

There must be a point when we withdraw from international competition. The standard of player getting capped for Scotland now is plain embarrassing. There are recent players who have multiple caps who would not have made the bench for a Scotland B side 30 years ago.

There are maybe two or three players in the Scotland set-up who you might argue have international credentials. But most of the players are bog standard journeymen -- Caldwell, Miller, McFadyen, Commons, Weir: take your pick, we all have our favourites.

These guys were born at the right time. Never can it have been so easy to get capped for Scotland. Never have the rewards for playing the game been so high -- or indeed so incommensurate with technical ability.

Mag7
02-09-2009, 10:18 AM
There must be a point when we withdraw from international competition. The standard of player getting capped for Scotland now is plain embarrassing. There are recent players who have multiple caps who would not have made the bench for a Scotland B side 30 years ago.

There are maybe two or three players in the Scotland set-up who you might argue have international credentials. But most of the players are bog standard journeymen -- Caldwell, Miller, McFadyen, Commons, Weir: take your pick, we all have our favourites.

These guys were born at the right time. Never can it have been so easy to get capped for Scotland. Never have the rewards for playing the game been so high -- or indeed so incommensurate with technical ability.

Would anyone really miss us if we did? The World Cup and Euro Championships haven't featured Scotland for over a decade and I think it's fair to say they're enjoyable as football spectacles to while away the summer until league football kicks off again. Scotland would be little more than lumpen deadweights in such company.

Woody1985
02-09-2009, 10:18 AM

What a shower of *****.

Were you not hopeful last season when we still had a slim chance of Europe under Mixu? Did you miss the games and just think 'Ah, **** it' there's practically nae chance so I'll wait til next year'.

The last paragraph is also jibberish.

davemcbain
02-09-2009, 10:21 AM
However, being Scottish, and unashamedly proud of it, they are my national team and I will support them and wish them well.

I am also proud to be Scottish, but I'd have to say ashamed of my national team and the setup behind it. I'll cheer them on, but I can't say I'm looking forward to yet another game where an ineffectual organisation manages to pick a poor side from a poor squad and fail to gel them into a team. Oh and I nearly forgot the tactics - but then again so does the manager.

That aside, I suspect I will go to my grave still wondering why a player suddenly becomes Scotland quality the day they move to Glasgow.

Well...that's out of my system and already the world looks a brighter place.

Kaff
02-09-2009, 10:23 AM

By the same logic you could say that about Hibs players, would many of our recent forwards have been able to break into a team containing the Famous Five? So after that glorious period we should just shrug our shoulders and not bother entering Europa League etc cos we're pish in the grand scheme of things? No we support the club/national team and badger the administrtors to change things and improve our lot.

Pull out of competitions - don't make me laugh

Mag7
02-09-2009, 10:24 AM
What a shower of *****.

Were you not hopeful last season when we still had a slim chance of Europe under Mixu? Did you miss the games and just think 'Ah, **** it' there's practically nae chance so I'll wait til next year'.

The last paragraph is also jibberish.

I wasn't hopeful, I was realistic. I knew we had no chance of qualifying for Europe with Mixu in charge even though on paper we had a team which should have been more than capable of finishing above a dreadful Aberdeen side.

By the same token, noboby can seriously think Scotland will qualify for a major tournament any time soon. We just aren't good enough and based on the current qualifying campaign (when finishing second should have been a breeze) we don't deserve it.

Tomsk
02-09-2009, 10:33 AM
By the same logic you could say that about Hibs players, would many of our recent forwards have been able to break into a team containing the Famous Five? So after that glorious period we should just shrug our shoulders and not bother entering Europa League etc cos we're pish in the grand scheme of things? No we support the club/national team and badger the administrtors to change things and improve our lot.

You could be on to something. But keep your voice down. If everyone works it out ER will be like a mortuary on a Saturday afternoon. :wink:

But seriously, 30 years ago the Scotland team was founded on the Liverpool side that won multiple European Cups. Scotland has reached the stage now where it is dependent on players who don't even play regularly for their club sides and/or play outside top flight leagues. How far do we need to drop before we give FIFA that call? When we start picking players from outside our own top flight? From Junior football? From Sunday amateur?

It's a serious question.

euro Hibby
02-09-2009, 10:33 AM
I live abroad in Italy which is good and bad as far as Scotland goes. When they are crap, which is most of the time, you can forget a game easily because nobody here really cares. When they are bad you will be asked whats happened to Scotland, I used to like them.

My view is that I am a Hibs fan first and a Scottish fan second. I would mutch rather win the Scottish cup that qualify for the World cup finals with a piss poor team which I have also supported all my life.

Like the originator of the post, I think we are tired of the selection process which tends to award old firm players before others. The power of the press and the West coast mafia which thinks that a caps ups the value of their players.

Scottish football is going backwards and there is a real need to address the problem. That does not mean you don't support your country, you just can't get excited about it as once before.

Expecting Rain
02-09-2009, 10:34 AM
I haven`t watched one second of footage in our er current campaign and i`m none the worse for it, going by the journalisitic handstands at the inclusion of David Weir`s return seems like i`ve made a good choice.

Steve20
02-09-2009, 10:40 AM

We've beaten France home and away why shouldn't we be able to beat Macedonia and Holland at home. It's football anything can happen.

No they can't. Simply not good enough. Holland would have to turn up with no keeper. Even then, I doubt Scotland would get a draw.

blackpoolhibs
02-09-2009, 10:40 AM
My interest has died with Scotland, although i will probably watch the games, its like seeing a crash on the motorway. You know you should not look, but you just cant help yourself.

Mag7
02-09-2009, 10:45 AM

This season's entrants to the Europa League proved little more than an embarrassment. Scotland have been an embarrassment in the latest World Cup campaign. Is half the problem not that too many fans DO continue just to blindly support their team no matter how p**h they are? I can't really see why it's a source of pride to do that. Better surely to force change through direct action (protests, boycotts etc) than just hope things get better. Much as I cannae stand them, Celtic fans did just that in the mid 90s when attendances were down below 10K and effectively drove out the stagnant regime which ran the club. What we as club fans should be pushing for is a sweeping away of the whole management of the Scottish game and push for a UK league. At national level, well, perhaps it IS time just to forget about it.

scott7_0(Prague)
02-09-2009, 10:45 AM

You are entitled to your opinion mate but I think it sucks :wink:

I support Scotland with the same passion as Hibs, easy really as we will never play each other will we!! :thumbsup:

Alicky Ranks
02-09-2009, 10:54 AM

France were a shadow of the team they'd been and proved it with their dismal display at the finals. The only chance Scotland have against Holland is if the Dutch decide to take it easy seeing they already qualified ages ago. What is likely to happen though is that we'll beat Macedonia and prompt the usual hysteria from some about how we can still do it only to fall flat as usual. It would probably be for the greater good of the game if Macedonia win on Saturday to hasten the end of the Burley regime.

Hibercelona
02-09-2009, 10:54 AM

I support Scotland with the same passion as Hibs, easy really as we will never play each other will we!! :thumbsup:

Well actually...

We quite easily could, seeing as none of our players seem to ever get a call up. :cool2:

surreyhibbie
02-09-2009, 11:01 AM
I would love to see Scotland doing well, but unfortunately I have reached the stage where I don't bother much any more. Only watch Scotland if I am in the house and there isn't much else on the telly. Wouldn't stay in to see the game.

I even forgot that we were playing the last time, until a mate (English) bumped into me and asked how the score was going.

Had to think who it was we were playing, would have to check to see our results so far and all I know is we are p!sh.

Very sad, but true.:boo hoo:

crewetollhibee
02-09-2009, 11:07 AM

Ah la *****y Galloway as well !! Had two outstanding seasons for the Yams and was never quoted. Darkheid calls and whoopee ! come and join the Scotland squad son. You're welcome now !!!

Bristolhibby
02-09-2009, 11:16 AM
Well I will be there on Saturday, cheering the team on.

Cant help thinking it will all be in vain, as we will get murdered next Wednesday.

Still if you take this qualifying campaign and compare it to other campaigns nothing has changed since 1998.

Euro 2000 (Holland/Belgium) Failed to qualify
World Cup 2002 (Japan/South Korea) Failed to qualify
Euro 2004 (Portugal) Failed to qualify
World Cup 2006 (Germany) Failed to qualify
Euro 2008 (Switzerland/Austria) Failed to qualify
World Cup 2010 (South Africa) Fail to qualify??????

No real change in over a decade. Somtimes we came colse, sometimes not close at all.

Are our expectations too high?

Still have great days out in the Weedge and over Europe watching Scotland. And will continue to do so.

J

Tomsk
02-09-2009, 11:17 AM
Ah la *****y Galloway as well !! Had two outstanding seasons for the Yams and was never quoted. Darkheid calls and whoopee ! come and join the Scotland squad son. You're welcome now !!!

The worst was possibly Andy Walker, who failed to win any international recognition at any level all the way through schoolboys, youths, 21s. He then moved from Motherwell to Celtic and within a week was called up to the Scotland squad.

Pat Stanton once said the history of Scottish football is full of great players that never got capped for Scotland, but none of them played for Celtic or Rangers. Ain't dat de truth!

euro Hibby
02-09-2009, 11:20 AM
Alex Edwards don't believe was ever capped

johnrebus
02-09-2009, 11:21 AM
I think it is possible to be a proud and passionate Scot and still be embarrased and ashamed of the National Team.

I know I am.

:grr:

johnrebus

Nor Kevin McAllister.

Sandy
Proud to follow Hibs, even when we have been DIRE, same goes for Scotland, even if I don't agree with the regime.

Kaff
02-09-2009, 11:25 AM
You could be on to something. But keep your voice down. If everyone works it out ER will be like a mortuary on a Saturday afternoon. :wink:

But seriously, 30 years ago the Scotland team was founded on the Liverpool side that won multiple European Cups. Scotland has reached the stage now where it is dependent on players who don't even play regularly for their club sides and/or play outside top flight leagues. How far do we need to drop before we give FIFA that call? When we start picking players from outside our own top flight? From Junior football? From Sunday amateur?

It's a serious question.

The national team has become a very poor team but every small nation has to go through a dip in fortune. We never qualified for a WC from 58 to 74 when apparently Scottish football was full of top level players, thankfully we never pulled out of competitions or we would have missed qualifying for 5 WC's in a row.
At the moment we have a poor squad with a seemingly poor manager (who i supported getting the job cos of his non OF ties and attacking philosophy) however i do think the number of younger players starting to be regulars in the Championship and lower reaches of the EPL is encouraging that in the near future and with the right manager then qualification is possible. More likely for the Euro's as they are expanding to 24 teams soon.
The whole of Scottish football must shoulder the blame - too many average non-scots at every club bleeding the league dry and little or no youth development at SPL level for too long. Other countries have had this problem but many have skirted the issue by having many passport holders in their teams not native born players (Germany and France among them).

NORTHERNHIBBY
02-09-2009, 11:39 AM
I was in Oslo for THAT game and it was my impression that the game, rather than being the point of the trip, was almost a side issue. God knows what the city centre would have been like if we had won as it was mental enough. Normally if you walk out of ER after a defeat, you mull over the game on the way back to the car, even with people you don't know. The main conversation on the tram back into town after the game, was what a pisser it was that the station on the right-hand side was shut and so the pub would need to be delayed for half-an-hour. Maybes we are not all that serious?

haagsehibby
02-09-2009, 11:56 AM

You must have been a trawlerman in a past life Bob since that's a fair haul you've got there !!

hibs1875aye
02-09-2009, 11:59 AM

"The Tedious Embarrassing Bore That Is The Scottish National Team"...is probably less tedious and boring than your constant slagging off the National Team you claim to care nothing about, yet never miss a chance to slag off, whilst at the same time dis-respecting all us on this site who DO follow Scotland.

You sound like an average old firm fan with your crap - should we not follow Scotland just because we're *****? Should we all be glory hunters and only follow teams that win? Not me. I'll follow Hibs and Scotland regardless, through thick and thin, that's the way it is and the way it always will be. :agree:

And if by some miracle we DO qualify, I'll be sure to come back on here and remind you of this crap thread and your stupid comments, with the rest of us "village idiots" following the National Team.

fergal7
02-09-2009, 12:04 PM
If there was no national team where would all the drunken ********s go to lift their kilts at foreigners and wear silly feathers in their hats?

surreyhibbie
02-09-2009, 12:09 PM

English I believe. Or is my memory playing tricks?

HUTCHYHIBBY
02-09-2009, 12:10 PM
You must have been a trawlerman in a past life Bob since that's a fair haul you've got there !!

:agree: Thats what stopped me from having a rant!

Dipped flake
02-09-2009, 12:30 PM
Every time an international game is coming up I sit and wait to see when the first anti-Scotland thread will pop up, on here and kickback. It seems a lot of posters use it as a badge of honour that they don't support Scotland. If you don't care about your country then why post threads about them. Go and support england or some other country.
Are Scotland poor at the moment, yes. Do I get angry about the pro-weegie bias in squad selections, yes. Do I stop this supporting my country, NO. You can complain about the same poor teams/pro-weegie bias when talking about Hearts or Hibs but does that stop you supporting your club team???

Golden Bear
02-09-2009, 12:45 PM

I'll be right behind the team on Saturday, while you're presumably sulking in your lair along with the other gurning miserablists backing you up on this thread:saltireflag

:agree:

Well said that man.

We all know that Scotland are not world beaters by any means but that does not stop me and thousands of others suppporting them with a fervant passion.

Golden Bear
02-09-2009, 12:47 PM

:confused:

I think it could be as Alex Edwards was sometimes referred to as being Scotland's best uncapped player.

lapsedhibee
02-09-2009, 12:50 PM

Mibbe Alex Cropley you're thinking of.

GreenPJ
02-09-2009, 12:50 PM

Applying this mantra to club football and we would have had no one at Easter Road for the last 18 months.

hibeemarley
02-09-2009, 01:03 PM
Would anyone really miss us if we did? The World Cup and Euro Championships haven't featured Scotland for over a decade and I think it's fair to say they're enjoyable as football spectacles to while away the summer until league football kicks off again. Scotland would be little more than lumpen deadweights in such company.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Tomsk;2158792]There must be a point when we withdraw from international competition. The standard of player getting capped for Scotland now is plain embarrassing. There are recent players who have multiple caps who would not have made the bench for a Scotland B side 30 years ago.

By these standards you could say that hibs shouldn't bother entering the Scottish Cup as we haven't won it for 100 years or so, and we don't have a team that can compete against the old firm in the league. So what's the point??

The point is that in football anything can happen and you should support club and country. Did Greece not qualify and win the euros???

I get annoyed at this anti Scotland clap trap. :grr:

McSwanky
02-09-2009, 01:08 PM
Every time an international game is coming up I sit and wait to see when the first anti-Scotland thread will pop up, on here and kickback. It seems a lot of posters use it as a badge of honour that they don't support Scotland. If you don't care about your country then why post threads about them. Go and support england or some other country.
Are Scotland poor at the moment, yes. Do I get angry about the pro-weegie bias in squad selections, yes. Do I stop this supporting my country, NO. You can complain about the same poor teams/pro-weegie bias when talking about Hearts or Hibs but does that stop you supporting your club team???

:agree: Well said that fud... er... I mean man....

surreyhibbie
02-09-2009, 01:12 PM
Mibbe Alex Cropley you're thinking of.

Cropley played for Scotland. Born in Aldershot IIRC.

I just remember having a conversation on the terraces about Mickey Edwards and Scotland and I'm sure someone told me he was English. Might have been a load of Nade though.

Tomsk
02-09-2009, 01:16 PM
Would anyone really miss us if we did? The World Cup and Euro Championships haven't featured Scotland for over a decade and I think it's fair to say they're enjoyable as football spectacles to while away the summer until league football kicks off again. Scotland would be little more than lumpen deadweights in such company.

By these standards you could say that hibs shouldn't bother entering the Scottish Cup as we haven't won it for 100 years or so, and we don't have a team that can compete against the old firm in the league. So what's the point??

The point is that in football anything can happen and you should support club and country. Did Greece not qualify and win the euros???

Do you think you and all the others assuming the high moral ground on this thread are the only ones who are annoyed? Do you think it pleases me to see how far our game has fallen? Do you think I am anything but annoyed at how ineptly our game has been administered over the last 30 to 40 years?

Mag7
02-09-2009, 01:20 PM

Is that really true when it comes to Scottish club and international football these days? We already know that the Old Firm will finish first and second in the SPL, as they have done for the last quarter of a century. We also know that Scotland have failed to qualify for the last five major tournaments and are about to fail to qualify for a sixth. They certainly won't be emulating Greece any time soon.

gorgie_harp
02-09-2009, 01:21 PM

:top marks:agree:

lapsedhibee
02-09-2009, 01:44 PM
We already know that the Old Firm will finish first and second in the SPL, as they have done for the last quarter of a century.

Cough *yams* Cough

Dipped flake
02-09-2009, 01:57 PM
:agree: Well said that fud... er... I mean man....
thanks ......i think:wink:

Dashing Bob S
02-09-2009, 02:24 PM
I think it is possible to be a proud and passionate Scot and still be embarrased and ashamed of the National Team.

I know I am.

:grr:

I'm in exactly the same boat as you. The National team from the dull, corrupt administrators, bigot bros love-in, diva fans, sickly press, ninth rate players and tenth rate managers encapsulate everything that is negative about this country.

I'd rather stick with the positives.

Dashing Bob S
02-09-2009, 02:26 PM

Where did I ever say that I wouldn't be supporting Scotland? :greengrin

Dashing Bob S
02-09-2009, 02:28 PM

Yaaar! Just call me Cap'n Bob.

7Hero
02-09-2009, 02:32 PM
bob for once a *****e post...

Dashing Bob S
02-09-2009, 02:39 PM
bob for once a *****e post...

You haven't been looking carefully, obviously.

Baader
02-09-2009, 02:40 PM
I dream of seeing Hibs win the cup. Should I just give up on that too? Our record in that particular competition isn't too great...

Gatecrasher
02-09-2009, 02:43 PM
:faf::top marks

Jonnyboy
02-09-2009, 02:47 PM

Nor Jimmy O'Rourke

Dashing Bob S
02-09-2009, 02:49 PM
Nor Jimmy O'Rourke

I don't think Alan Gordon was either but I believe a genius known as Derek Parlane recieved a load of them.

iwasthere1972
02-09-2009, 03:07 PM

Me too. The national team may be ****** but even so I get great pleasure supporting them through thick or thin. Our fans are amongst the best in the world and travel in great numbers to back the team even in their darkest times. 52,000 fans singing Flower and Scotland and Bonnie Bonnie Banks of Loch Lomond at Hampden- You cannae whack it.

C'mon Scotland. :agree:

AndyB_70
02-09-2009, 03:31 PM

Cant help thinking it will all be in vain, as we will get murdered next Wednesday.

Still if you take this qualifying campaign and compare it to other campaigns nothing has changed since 1998.

No real change in over a decade. Somtimes we came colse, sometimes not close at all.

Still have great days out in the Weedge and over Europe watching Scotland. And will continue to do so.

J

Will still follow the national team through think and thin as you seem to do.
People talk about withdrawal from International Football. :asshole:
Maybe Hibs should withdraw from going into the Scottish Cup ever again. We don't do well in it so lets give up. :bitchy:
Some folk should really give themselves a shake.

Best ever celebrated Goals.....Darren Jackson away to Anderlecht and James McFadden in Paris. Both moments I was proud to be at.
We'll be coming......We'll becoming.......

hibeemarley
02-09-2009, 03:41 PM
Will still follow the national team through think and thin as you seem to do.
People talk about withdrawal from International Football. :asshole:
Maybe Hibs should withdraw from going into the Scottish Cup ever again. We don't do well in it so lets give up. :bitchy:
Some folk should really give themselves a shake.

Best ever celebrated Goals.....Darren Jackson away to Anderlecht and James McFadden in Paris. Both moments I was proud to be at.
We'll be coming......We'll becoming.......

We'll be coming down the road, when you hear the noise of the tartan army boys we'll be coming down the roadddd. QUALITY. :saltireflag

iwasthere1972
02-09-2009, 03:49 PM
Nor Jimmy O'Rourke

:grr: Wonder how many of the recent/current Scotland squad can boast not one but two hat tricks in Europe.

Dashing Bob S
02-09-2009, 03:50 PM
Big difference between Hibs in the Scottish and Scotland in the World Cup.

The Scottish Cup is a joke tournament where garbage like Hearts, Kilmarnock and St Mirren etc etc can win it. It's all about luck, and we haven't had it.

Scotland are just so poor they never even look like qualifying for the greatest international football tournament in the world.

5 would be delighted, but not surprised if I saw Hibs win the Scottish. I would be shocked if I ever saw Scotland qualify for the World Cup finals again.

Golden Bear
02-09-2009, 04:21 PM

The Scottish Cup is a joke tournament where garbage like Hearts, Kilmarnock and St Mirren etc etc can win it. It's all about luck, and we haven't had it.

Scotland are just so poor they never even look like qualifying for the greatest international football tournament in the world.

5 would be delighted, but not surprised if I saw Hibs win the Scottish. I would be shocked if I ever saw Scotland qualify for the World Cup finals again.

We're all aware that the current national side is crap but that does not prevent me from supporting them and I would never castigate anyone for choosing to do so.

lEXO
02-09-2009, 04:36 PM
I,ll be at both games.I hope they get a result,but dont hold out much hope really.Much the same as a most of the 30 plus years i,ve been watching Hibs really.Have never gave up on Hibs and wont give up on Scotland either.Wont have to imagine what the atmosphere will be like if we get the results tho, will be there and part of it.
Not a big tartan army fan,but to a lot of them following scotland is like following a club side,and some club supporters could learn a bit about loyalty from some of them.

Bishop Hibee
02-09-2009, 04:47 PM
Looking forward to the double header. The quality of footballer on show at Hampden is generally better than at a Hibs game meaning that a higher quality game often ensues.

Great day out on Saturday with the Edinburgh Tartan Army bus leaving at 9.00a.m. for The Clockwork Beer Co. A resounding victory against Macedonia would then see us playing an excellent Dutch team with a victory giving us an outside chance of glory.

Bring it on.

basehibby
02-09-2009, 04:57 PM
MON THE SCOTS - WE KNOW YOU CAN DO IT!!!! :duck::hide::saltireflag:saltireflag:Awright!:

BigKev
02-09-2009, 06:27 PM
Ridiculous opening post - another anti Scotland rant from a poster who normally posts decent, witty stuff (Sunday night exempt :greengrin)

With a wee bit of luck we'll have two victories in the bag come ten o'clock on Wednesday.

Iron Horse for 9 anyone?

:saltireflag

Mag7
02-09-2009, 07:30 PM
I've quite deliberately scheduled to play golf at 3.00pm on Saturday, as I can't be bothered with Scotland's pathetic attempt to bundle through against nations we should be comfortable against.

It wouldn't surprise me one iota if Macedonia pumped us.

I'd perhaps feel different if Burley were not in charge - he couldn't pick his nose!

NCAA Football starts on Saturday evening, which is far more important for me.

We've got a game of golf organised too. Teeing off at 2.48. Didn't realise it would mean missing the Scotland game as I thought it was an evening kick-off, but I'm glad to be avoiding it completely.

woody47
02-09-2009, 07:31 PM

Behind you 100% on this one. If people aren't interestd in the national team that's their perogative but to come on here deriding it just makes them sad inviduals.

Woody1985
02-09-2009, 07:52 PM
I wasn't hopeful, I was realistic. I knew we had no chance of qualifying for Europe with Mixu in charge even though on paper we had a team which should have been more than capable of finishing above a dreadful Aberdeen side.

By the same token, noboby can seriously think Scotland will qualify for a major tournament any time soon. We just aren't good enough and based on the current qualifying campaign (when finishing second should have been a breeze) we don't deserve it.

So did you miss the games or not?

People are realistic, we won't get to SA. It still won't stop people supporting the team. On paper, we're probably better than the other teams in our group with the exception of Holland.

I fail to see the arguement here. Unless you were agreeing with me :confused:

:greengrin

Woody1985
02-09-2009, 07:59 PM

What a ***** arguement that is. :faf:

A joke tournament, so you're not bothered if we win it cos only ***** win it and get lucky?

Do some teams not get lucky with the group stage draws for the WCQs? CL group stages? Decent groups in the WC etc etc?

surreyhibbie
02-09-2009, 09:16 PM
I don't think Alan Gordon was either but I believe a genius known as Derek Parlane recieved a load of them.

I'm sure he was in a squad (we had 5 players in at the time) but may have withdrawn injured, don't think he got a game though... Not sure which of the others were in there.

Mag7
02-09-2009, 10:33 PM
So did you miss the games or not?

People are realistic, we won't get to SA. It still won't stop people supporting the team. On paper, we're probably better than the other teams in our group with the exception of Holland.

I fail to see the arguement here. Unless you were agreeing with me :confused:

:greengrin

Yes I missed the games as I'd given up watching Hibs under Mixu by then. My argument is that too many folk base their support on pure blind faith/hope despite things getting to a stage when it's clear that hope will get you nowhere. When the team ain't good enough it ain't going to achieve anything no matter how much you hope it will. Fair enough if we were going through something like the Mercer takeover era when the club had been so badly run it was close to extinction. Then, I agree, you should get 100% behind your team with no questions asked and with hope springing eternal, but when you have a club as efficiently run as Hibs is now struggling to finish above the likes of Motherwell you are entitled to get angry and disagree with those who think you should just turn up regardless. Same with Scotland. They should not be as shockingly poor as they are in the group they're in. Instead of just cheerily pulling on the kilt for another day out, folk should be demanding the SFA take action to remove Burley (and ideally themselves) from office.

iwasthere1972
02-09-2009, 10:42 PM
:confused:

I think it could be as Alex Edwards was sometimes referred to as being Scotland's best uncapped player.

IIRC in the Turnbull's Tornadoes DVD Alex Edwards remarked that the reason he didn't get a cap is because Scotland at the time had Jimmy Johnstone and Willie Henderson playing in the same position.

Quality player with bags of energy and skill. A bit hot headed at times.

surreyhibbie
02-09-2009, 10:48 PM
Mickey was one of the most skillful players ever to play for Hibs. He could do wonders with a ball.

Hot-headed? You must be joking! he was easier to wind up than a cheap watch. And the opposition knew it!

His lengthy suspension possibly cost us a league title, he was that good.

Chuckie
02-09-2009, 11:00 PM
I hate Scotland.
I hate the way we expect to fail.
And then we fail.
And then we get bitter because we failed.

Ballboy.

majorhibs
02-09-2009, 11:42 PM

You, Sir, as I have told you before, need to get over your hysterical hounding of the Scotland team and the followers of the Scottish national team. I really cant be ersed reading all said and done following your very predictable rant which you trot out most times Scotland play, but from someone who usually enjoys your posts where you give it to "johnny yam" or the like, can I just say to stop this particular chasing of a group of Football fans who really dont have much knowledge or interest about you and who you if truth be told are strangely infatuated with, can you not save that sort of mockery for the huns if you need to bring someone down, your constant attempts at getting at Scotlands fans makes me think your either -A- jim traynor or -B- you dont get out enough when Scotland are playing. We as a Nation will live with or without you, Bob, but can you live without slating us? Gie it a rest, if your no into it, shut it and leave us Fitba fans who are to get on wi it!

Dashing Bob S
02-09-2009, 11:46 PM
You, Sir, as I have told you before, need to get over your hysterical hounding of the Scotland team and the followers of the Scottish national team. I really cant be ersed reading all said and done following your very predictable rant which you trot out most times Scotland play, but from someone who usually enjoys your posts where you give it to "johnny yam" or the like, can I just say to stop this particular chasing of a group of Football fans who really dont have much knowledge or interest about you and who you if truth be told are strangely infatuated with, can you not save that sort of mockery for the huns if you need to bring someone down, your constant attempts at getting at Scotlands fans makes me think your either -A- jim traynor or -B- you dont get out enough when Scotland are playing. We as a Nation will live with or without you, Bob, but can you live without slating us? Gie it a rest, if your no into it, shut it and leave us Fitba fans who are to get on wi it!

Just for you, MH, I resolve to give it damn good try.

poolman
02-09-2009, 11:49 PM
Mickey was one of the most skillful players ever to play for Hibs. He could do wonders with a ball.

Hot-headed? You must be joking! he was easier to wind up than a cheap watch. And the opposition knew it!

Defo Surrey, a joy to watch was wee Mickey :thumbsup:

snooky
02-09-2009, 11:54 PM
I kinda lost interest in the National side when the rules changed so that anybody who's granny had a Skye terrier became eligible to play for Scotland.
Having said that, in my younger days, watching Scotland was just like watching a Rangers/Celtic select side. :grr:

poolman
02-09-2009, 11:55 PM

Bit harsh that post :agree:

He was giving his opinion on his feelings on the national squad as you can tell with his thread starting post

So why should people shut it for voicing their opinions on a message board :confused:

Now that has got me baffled, are we all on here to agree with you :confused:

gillythehibby
03-09-2009, 12:00 AM
Couldny give 2 hoots about Scotland. Ony love the hibees.:greengrin

iwasthere1972
03-09-2009, 12:11 AM

Reflecting on it I chose the wrong words and your description is more apt. :agree:

majorhibs
03-09-2009, 12:30 AM
Just for you, MH, I resolve to give it damn good try.

Just for you Boab, I resolve to not drink much on saturday or wednesday, or maybe I will just give it a "damn good try" :wink:

Bit harsh that post :agree:

He was giving his opinion on his feelings on the national squad as you can tell with his thread starting post

So why should people shut it for voicing their opinions on a message board :confused:

Now that has got me baffled, are we all on here to agree with you :confused:

Listen mate if your nearest and dearest NEVER agree with you then coming on here should'nt change your mind, my comments were not on Rabs one specificic post more on a few and how I had a different opinion to Bobs view, which he & I have discussed before, if I gave you or anyone the impression I wanted anyone to " shut it " I apologise, our man D.B.S has been responsible for so many classics while I've been at home or abroad and able to tune in, that the thought of stifling him would probs make me think of involving the unions and calling a national strike. D.B.S on H.net is a national treasure which we should all fight to preserve, Except of course when he comments on the Scottish National Team.

poolman
03-09-2009, 12:38 AM
Just for you Boab, I resolve to not drink much on saturday or wednesday, or maybe I will just give it a "damn good try" :wink:

Listen mate if your nearest and dearest NEVER agree with you then coming on here should'nt change your mind, my comments were not on Rabs one specificic post more on a few and how I had a different opinion to Bobs view, which he & I have discussed before, if I gave you or anyone the impression I wanted anyone to " shut it " I apologise, our man D.B.S has been responsible for so many classics while I've been at home or abroad and able to tune in, that the thought of stifling him would probs make me think of involving the unions and calling a national strike. D.B.S on H.net is a national treasure which we should all fight to preserve, Except of course when he comments on the Scottish National Team.

Thats what I like to hear, debate, no probs :thumbsup: and, of course I reserve your right for sticking up for the National Team

P.S. Like the Avatar, one of my fav players at ER

majorhibs
03-09-2009, 12:58 AM
Thats what I like to hear, debate, no probs :thumbsup: and, of course I reserve your right for sticking up for the National Team

P.S. Like the Avatar, one of my fav players at ER

Went down to Jackie Mac's pub in Musselburgh about 10-12 years ago with the then Mrs, said we might see a player I used to like, when the legend himself was behind the bar it just meant it was going to be one of those TOP nights, one time while I was up ordering a round and the mrs came by, I was talking to Jackie about the cup finals in 79 and how I thought he & the team had played in them, & deserved to win, the man himself was brill and and we had a great crack about himself and the team when he played but the ex Mrs was onto it like a shot and getting on my case about being "starstruck". Actually about the only time ever she was on the money, right enough....

poolman
03-09-2009, 01:09 AM
Went down to Jackie Mac's pub in Musselburgh about 10-12 years ago with the then Mrs, said we might see a player I used to like, when the legend himself was behind the bar it just meant it was going to be one of those TOP nights, one time while I was up ordering a round and the mrs came by, I was talking to Jackie about the cup finals in 79 and how I thought he & the team had played in them, & deserved to win, the man himself was brill and and we had a great crack about himself and the team when he played but the ex Mrs was onto it like a shot and getting on my case about being "starstruck". Actually about the only time ever she was on the money, right enough....

Good story, I for one thought it was a nightmare when Paddy Stanton left to Celtic But we got JM and it was a great bit of business, Pat was coming to the end of his career and we got some great service from Jackie Mac :agree:

Tomsk
03-09-2009, 10:58 AM

Just so we're clear on this, Bob has only to refrain from posting when he says something you disagree with. That is right?

hibs1875aye
03-09-2009, 11:39 AM
Just so we're clear on this, Bob has only to refrain from posting when he says something you disagree with. That is right?

No, but he could give it some thought if it's going to piss off a lot of people, as per this thread. Unless of course it was his intention to piss a lot of us Hibbys off who also follow Scotland :confused:

--------
03-09-2009, 12:03 PM
Yes I missed the games as I'd given up watching Hibs under Mixu by then. My argument is that too many folk base their support on pure blind faith/hope despite things getting to a stage when it's clear that hope will get you nowhere. When the team ain't good enough it ain't going to achieve anything no matter how much you hope it will. Fair enough if we were going through something like the Mercer takeover era when the club had been so badly run it was close to extinction. Then, I agree, you should get 100% behind your team with no questions asked and with hope springing eternal, but when you have a club as efficiently run as Hibs is now struggling to finish above the likes of Motherwell you are entitled to get angry and disagree with those who think you should just turn up regardless. Same with Scotland. They should not be as shockingly poor as they are in the group they're in. Instead of just cheerily pulling on the kilt for another day out, folk should be demanding the SFA take action to remove Burley (and ideally themselves) from office.

:top marks The Zen of Being a Football Fan in one short post.

This is my argument with the TA - we are way past the point where the suits at the SFA should be getting pelters for the way they're treating the national team - and the way they're running the national game.

And I suspect ANY group of fans with pretentions to being "the greatest fans in the world".

No, but he could give it some thought if it's going to piss off a lot of people, as per this thread. Unless of course it was his intention to piss a lot of us Hibbys off who also follow Scotland :confused:

Isn't that sometimes the greatest joy involved in posting on this forum?

I'm sure we all do it from time to time? :cool2:

PansHibs
03-09-2009, 12:35 PM
"The Tedious Embarrassing Bore That Is The Scottish National Team"...is probably less tedious and boring than your constant slagging off the National Team you claim to care nothing about, yet never miss a chance to slag off, whilst at the same time dis-respecting all us on this site who DO follow Scotland.

You sound like an average old firm fan with your crap - should we not follow Scotland just because we're *****? Should we all be glory hunters and only follow teams that win? Not me. I'll follow Hibs and Scotland regardless, through thick and thin, that's the way it is and the way it always will be. :agree:

And if by some miracle we DO qualify, I'll be sure to come back on here and remind you of this crap thread and your stupid comments, with the rest of us "village idiots" following the National Team.

:top marksMy thoughts exactly

Dashing Bob S
03-09-2009, 12:37 PM

That was my understanding of my voluntary concession.

Albanian Hibs
03-09-2009, 06:10 PM

J

:agree: Looking forward to going to the games and having a good day and night out in the Weeg

Zondervan
03-09-2009, 07:50 PM
Suggest that folk wishing to discuss Scotland post here:

http://taboard.com/forum/index.php

Leave hibs.net for matters relating to Hibs, and not Scotland.

Yeh? :blah:

iwasthere1972
03-09-2009, 07:59 PM

The messageboard for all Hibs fans to chat about Hibs and football in general. :wink:

CropleyWasGod
04-09-2009, 08:56 AM

No.

Phil MaGlass
04-09-2009, 10:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zondervan

Yeh?

suggest that folk wishing to pi5h all over Scotland post here

http://www.followfollow.com/feedback/loadpriv.asp

Saorsa
04-09-2009, 11:22 AM
Originally Posted by Zondervan

Yeh?:blah:hibs.net Main Forum The messageboard for all Hibs fans to chat about Hibs and football in general.

How about if you're no interested in a subject dinnae bother reading it or posting on it instead of trying tae tell others what they can and cannae discuss, yeh? :blah:

Golden Bear
04-09-2009, 11:41 AM
hibs.net Main Forum The messageboard for all Hibs fans to chat about Hibs and football in general.

How about if you're no interested in a subject dinnae bother reading it or posting on it instead of trying tae tell others what they can and cannae discuss, yeh? :blah:

You get him telt big yin. And watch out for ye're coo pie - that Nade fellah is in the vicinity.

:wink::greengrin