PDA

View Full Version : Progress.

blackpoolhibs
02-09-2009, 08:47 AM
Does anyone else feel we have made great progress from day one of Yogi's tenure? For me the feel good factor is back. I also feel we are trying to play better football too. We have a shape to the side, the players look fitter, and although we lost 2 very good players in jones and fletcher, i feel we are better set up, and with the players we have brought in, and how we now set the team up, look stronger than we did at the end of last season. With the addition of the kids, and getting rid of some of the dross, i can see the managers vision. He talks well, and is delivering too. We will lose some games this season, but at last, with this patience we are always being asked to have, under Yogi, i feel he will deliver better play, better players,(quality over quantity) and better results and perhaps consistency that gets us european football. Under Mixu, i certainly could not see what the hell he was trying to achieve, but you would have to go round with your eyes shut to miss what Yogi is trying to do. At last we seem to have a manager who knows what he wants, has the ability to do it, and also the man management skills too. I think we are in for some exciting times under this new management team.:thumbsup:

matty_f
02-09-2009, 08:54 AM
Does anyone else feel we have made great progress from day one of Yogi's tenure? For me the feel good factor is back. I also feel we are trying to play better football too. We have a shape to the side, the players look fitter, and although we lost 2 very good players in jones and fletcher, i feel we are better set up, and with the players we have brought in, and how we now set the team up, look stronger than we did at the end of last season. With the addition of the kids, and getting rid of some of the dross, i can see the managers vision. He talks well, and is delivering too. We will lose some games this season, but at last, with this patience we are always being asked to have, under Yogi, i feel he will deliver better play, better players,(quality over quantity) and better results and perhaps consistency that gets us european football. Under Mixu, i certainly could not see what the hell he was trying to achieve, but you would have to go round with your eyes shut to miss what Yogi is trying to do. At last we seem to have a manager who knows what he wants, has the ability to do it, and also the man management skills too. I think we are in for some exciting times under this new management team.:thumbsup:

:top marks

Can't fault any of that, BH.

IMHO, we've made progress on the park, and off it. Hibs are in a great position at the moment. Hopefully,the progression continues...

scott7_0(Prague)
02-09-2009, 08:55 AM

Jesus, I can't believe I am about to agree with BlackpoolHibs and secondly that he wrote something positive about Hibs..... it is really you out there?
:thumbsup: :greengrin :agree:
But anyway, YES I agree.

(((Fergus)))
02-09-2009, 08:56 AM
He seems to take the sensible option in virtually every decision, i.e., maximising his resources.

Hibbyradge
02-09-2009, 08:56 AM

I was very disappointed with the lack of paragraphs. Again. :bitchy:

IWasThere2016
02-09-2009, 08:58 AM

I agree in the main, Gary.

The only issue I have is the 'promise' of new faces and the subsequent failure to replace Jones. RB is also an issue we should have addressed.

Crucially, the football will be better and the cup results will be better.

The squad - although bare at the back - is better.

Stokes is a great addition, and Benji/Zemmama are like new signings.

Glory Glory! :thumbsup:

Mon Dieu4
02-09-2009, 08:58 AM
He seems to take the sensible option in virtually every decision, i.e., maximising his resources.

Instead of bringing in more players we need to maximise the resources already at our disposal. I’d genuinely like to see Konte get a run in the team:wink::faf:

IWasThere2016
02-09-2009, 08:59 AM

Hear Hear. UNACCEPTABLE! PETRIE! :grr:

:wink:

matty_f
02-09-2009, 09:00 AM

:tee hee:

Hibbyradge
02-09-2009, 09:02 AM
This is typical BH posting style.

Drops a hugely positive thread, then disappears.

LTHF.

Shrekko
02-09-2009, 09:19 AM
This is typical BH posting style.

Drops a hugely positive thread, then disappears.

LTHF.
:agree: the worst kind of happy clapper.

Hibs Spain
02-09-2009, 09:25 AM

IMHO, we've made progress on the park, and off it. Hibs are in a great position at the moment. Hopefully,the progression continues...I'd rather have Stokes than fletcher and Jones was no big deal.Also started to feel we were in danger of doing an RBS - AMBRO chasing Arfield and Barr for what was going to end up silly money in relation to what they could have given us.

Dashing Bob S
02-09-2009, 09:25 AM

Rubbish! Bring back Mixu!

No, I think you'd have to be a bit ******ed to disagree with what you say. Yogi certainly has a vision of where Hibs should be (and it goes somewhat beyond battling it out with Motherwell for 6th place) and of the type of football he wants to play and the sort of players he likes. The feelgood factor is definitely back after the Collins-Mixu nightmare/stagnation (yes, I know JC won us the LC but with TM's team) and the key to me is we that have someone who knows the game, understands players and has a long term vision, as opposed to muddling through from one week to the next.

Of course there will be setbacks, but we are at least now set up to compete properly. Last season we would never have taken full points after falling behind to St Mirren and Falkirk and the game against Brechin would have been a nervy affair rather than the straightforward training game it turned out as.

The team isn't playing spectacularly well yet in terms of what Yogi wants to achieve, but it is competitive, the players are obviously enjoying themselves and you know it will improve in terms of performance.

Keith_M
02-09-2009, 09:28 AM
I think it's totally disgraceful that they open the pubs and serve FAR too much alcohol in Blackpool so early in the morning!!

Petrie, get it sorted!

:grr:

Dashing Bob S
02-09-2009, 09:28 AM

I feel the BH is just starting to adjust to the positive era, with long, free-flowing sentences, and that the paragraphs will eventually come back into his posts.

Judge him again around Christmas.

Mag7
02-09-2009, 09:29 AM
Yogi has certainly won me over. There's been a horrible malaise at Hibs ever since the player revolt of 2007 which I think has seen a lot of fans drift away from the club. There were false dawns with the table-topping start to season 2007/08 and then Mixu's solid start which initially had me thinking he was the right man for the job. However, last season, despite some impressive results (eight points off Hearts, unbeaten at home v Celtic) just seemed to be played out under a black cloud which never looked like lifting. What Yogi has achieved in such a short space of time is remarkable. The club has its spirit back, he's shipped out a huge amount of dead wood and the squad we have seems trim and sharp. I'm not expecting miracles, but I have a better feeling about Hibs than I have had since the early Collins days. If we can add another couple of players in January I think we could have a really enjoyable season.

GlesgaeHibby
02-09-2009, 09:32 AM
Totally agree BH. At last we seem to be moving in the right direction.

Compared to last season we (are);

Fitter
Playing with a good solid shape
Pressing to get the ball when not in possesion
Challenging for every ball
Seeing promising youngsters coming through
Appear to have good solid signings in Cregg, McBride and Stack
Zemmama and Benji back plus Stokes helps soften the blow of losing Jones and Fletcher

Lucius Apuleius
02-09-2009, 09:36 AM
He probably meant to write in paragraphs but it was all pretty unseen work.

blackpoolhibs
02-09-2009, 09:41 AM

From now on any post i do will not have full stops or commas and definitely no paragraphs in fact i may even give the spellchecker a miss too:wink:

Stevie Reid
02-09-2009, 09:42 AM
An unbelievable difference between now and last year. Really happy with the squad, and in Stokes, Riordan and Zemamma, we have guys who can win football matches.

I think the arrival of Wotherspoon is possibly the most exciting thing though - of all the talented young players to arrive in the last few years, he's made more of an immediate impression than anyone else.

He's intelligent, composed, comfortable on the ball, offers great delivery from wide areas, and with his unbelievable effort on goal on Sunday he showed that he is gifted enough to improvise and execute phenomenal skill in a split second. Really excited about this lad. Really excited in general, actually.

Pedantic_Hibee
02-09-2009, 09:49 AM
I think I preferred BH when he was a miserable git :boo hoo:

:wink::thumbsup:

Hibbyradge
02-09-2009, 09:54 AM
From now on any post i do will not have full stops or commas and definitely no paragraphs in fact i may even give the spellchecker a miss too:wink:

Good idea. That will dovetail nicely with your highly selective use of capital letters.

:aok:

blackpoolhibs
02-09-2009, 09:59 AM
Good idea. That will dovetail nicely with your highly selective use of capital letters.

:aok:

cHEeRS. :greengrin

lapsedhibee
02-09-2009, 10:05 AM
I feel the BH is just starting to adjust to the positive era, with long, free-flowing sentences, and that the paragraphs will eventually come back into his posts.

Judge him again around Christmas.

So are you advocating patience? :shocked:

aberhibsfc
02-09-2009, 10:06 AM
He probably meant to write in paragraphs but it was all pretty unseen work.

Petrie.......GIS!!

Hibbyradge
02-09-2009, 10:12 AM
Petrie.......GIS!!

:faf: :thumbsup:

Expecting Rain
02-09-2009, 10:30 AM

Agree, i think the set up and the attitude is better, the mindset is more positive and we should be harder to beat, it seems Yogi is someone who can be trusted to bring in the right type of players and his enthusiasm is infectious.

SolentHibee
02-09-2009, 10:37 AM
I'm very impressed with what seems to be intended under Yogi's stewardship and he certainly talks a good game, his inspirational interviews and man management practices are certainly more Mowbray than Mixu.

I cannot be bothered finding any links, but I remember when he was appointed there was a thread where a number of the more regular posters were talking about how they were anticipating a year or two of really depressing transition where Yogi was slowly getting rid of the dead wood and getting in players to play in a different style. Most posters felt it would take a season or two to get started never mind reach a stage where they would see much progress. It was difficult to disagree with those opinions, the only argument being how long and how depressing the wait for a footballing team would be.

So far Yogi has exceeded all expectations in making that transition period as short as possible; he immediately recognised the deficiencies in the shape of the team, he concentrated on getting in players who knew how to play his style and they have been the focus for the transformation he is trying to deliver. He has trimmed the squad of players he feels cannot contribute and he has gained the support of the board in a manner that makes it more difficult for fans to complain about investment in the team.

I think he has also been lucky like TM was; Tony inherited our golden generation without whom his tenure might have gone pear-shaped early doors, Yogi also has the youngsters coming through alongside the return of Zoomer and Benji - if 3 or 4 of those work out then the core of his team immediately takes on a stronger look.

I don't think that it will all be plain sailing and it may still be a difficult season but he has certainly changed the atmosphere around the club. If we can just get a bit of momentum going over the season then we may have jumped back onto that famous 'upward spiral':thumbsup:

cockneymike
02-09-2009, 10:54 AM
I agree, with most of the above. It's quite incredible to think that there was a thread called 'no progress at all' written just 3 months ago!

Now if we could just announce the building of the new East Stand, and then batter the jambos (on the pitch, no Millwall style) in the next derby then I think hibs.net might explode with too much positivity.

sahib
02-09-2009, 10:57 AM
I think it is a bit to early to judge. We have only played three games and two of those were against teams, who will more than likely be bottom six finishers.
I also thought we got a bit of luck (for a change) in the first two games.

haagsehibby
02-09-2009, 12:54 PM

That Prozac is amazing stuff isn't it ?? Make sure you check out the side effects though. :wink:

RIP
02-09-2009, 02:31 PM
like you Gary I have a good feeling about hibs right now it only seems like yesterday at was at the barcelona game with my kids nieces and nephews totally embarassed at being four nil down at half time and wishing the ground would simply open up and swallow me then I spent the season defending mixu even though i had wanted yogi after collins and now with yogi at the helm a better feeling has come over me where i believe that for the first time we have a long term vision for the playing sqaud at hibernian and not just off the park

Sprouleflyer
02-09-2009, 02:44 PM

:faint: :top marks

A very postive thread from BH, whats wrong with him?

Next he will start a thread asking for the return of Macar :slipper:

hibs0666
02-09-2009, 02:52 PM
For me the feel good factor is back.

I don't think it is - for example Sundays crowd was about a thousand down to the corresponding old firm fixture last year, and the atmosphere in the ground was a shocker.

I think the team has to prove it can consistently deliver results before the feel good factor returns.

Also, if Hibs had followed through on Yogi's words and had made a couple more decent signings, then that would have helped the feel-good factor too.

blackpoolhibs
02-09-2009, 02:53 PM
like you Gary I have a good feeling about hibs right now it only seems like yesterday at was at the barcelona game with my kids nieces and nephews totally embarassed at being four nil down at half time and wishing the ground would simply open up and swallow me then I spent the season defending mixu even though i had wanted yogi after collins and now with yogi at the helm a better feeling has come over me where i believe that for the first time we have a long term vision for the playing sqaud at hibernian and not just off the park

Yip i have a good feeling too, we seem to have direction in the team at last. The goalkeeping issue has been addressed. We have Murray to come back now, he can play in numerous positions along the back four, and midfield.

Our midfield have a shape at last, and up front we have Deek back on form, and i have no doubts Stokes will score goals for us. With the emergence of Witherspoon, and Zemamma and Benji back, and both looking like they actually want to be here, its like having three new decent players, coupled with releasing a lot of the dross, i can certainly see progress, i can see the team evolving and taking shape, and i'm sure that will continue under Yogi's leadership, he has a vision i believe will be successful.:thumbsup:

We are imho stronger than we have been, i do think we will have some setbacks, but if we can stay in contention until December, i'm sure we will strengthen again, and have that final push towards europe in the final few months, and you never know, maybe even a cup final appearance too.:greengrin

reversep
02-09-2009, 04:06 PM
I agree in the main, Gary.

The only issue I have is the 'promise' of new faces and the subsequent failure to replace Jones. RB is also an issue we should have addressed.

Crucially, the football will be better and the cup results will be better.

The squad - although bare at the back - is better.

Stokes is a great addition, and Benji/Zemmama are like new signings.

Glory Glory! :thumbsup:

The cup results ARE already better :wink:.

BEEJ
02-09-2009, 04:55 PM
Yip i have a good feeling too, we seem to have direction in the team at last. The goalkeeping issue has been addressed. We have Murray to come back now, he can play in numerous positions along the back four, and midfield.

Our midfield have a shape at last, and up front we have Deek back on form, and i have no doubts Stokes will score goals for us. With the emergence of Witherspoon, and Zemamma and Benji back, and both looking like they actually want to be here, its like having three new decent players, coupled with releasing a lot of the dross, i can certainly see progress, i can see the team evolving and taking shape, and i'm sure that will continue under Yogi's leadership, he has a vision i believe will be successful.:thumbsup:

We are imho stronger than we have been, i do think we will have some setbacks, but if we can stay in contention until December, i'm sure we will strengthen again, and have that final push towards europe in the final few months, and you never know, maybe even a cup final appearance too.:greengrin
Paragraphs!!!!!!!!! :faint:

Spike Mandela
02-09-2009, 05:36 PM
Our paper thin squad could get found out if we get a couple of injuries or suspensions especially in defensive areas.

Whilst great to see Wotherspoon make an immediate impact it would be nice to see Hibs bring through a strapping big centre half just for once.

Love Yogi's optimism and enthusiasm but would have liked him to cast his net a bit further (ie not just Falkirk)in search for decent defensive players to improve the squad.

ancient hibee
02-09-2009, 05:42 PM
And they said satire was finished.

blackpoolhibs
02-09-2009, 05:48 PM
And they said satire was finished.

Who did?

ancient hibee
02-09-2009, 05:53 PM
Who did?
Think it was Cannon and Ball when they couldn't get any more bookings.

blackpoolhibs
02-09-2009, 05:57 PM
Think it was Cannon and Ball when they couldn't get any more bookings.

No not them, they are still going strong down here in Blackpool.

ancient hibee
02-09-2009, 05:59 PM
No not them, they are still going strong down here in Blackpool.
The last comics I saw in Blackpool were Jewell and Warriss but suspect they may have been before your time.

blackpoolhibs
02-09-2009, 06:04 PM
The last comics I saw in Blackpool were Jewell and Warriss but suspect they may have been before your time.

Oh yes way before my time. I like peter kay, and that new guy Michael McIntyre these day, but my faviourite comedy duo of all time is Hogg and Nish, they have me in fits of laughter whenever they are on the telly.:wink:

ancient hibee
02-09-2009, 06:11 PM
Oh yes way before my time. I like peter kay, and that new guy Michael McIntyre these day, but my faviourite comedy duo of all time is Hogg and Nish, they have me in fits of laughter whenever they are on the telly.:wink:

They(Little and Large I think)do say that the best comedy is derived from tragedy.

wick hibby
02-09-2009, 06:16 PM
Yes having watched the game on sunday i was very happy. The result was not what i would have liked:boo hoo: But on the plus side the best they HIBS have done in a long long time :thumbsup::thumbsup: Worst point it was the wifes first game ever and now she wants to go again:boo hoo:.

Caversham Green
02-09-2009, 06:23 PM
I think it is a bit to early to judge. We have only played three games and two of those were against teams, who will more than likely be bottom six finishers.
I also thought we got a bit of luck (for a change) in the first two games.

The equivalent games last season were:

Smurn - lost 1-0
Falkirk - Drew 1-1
Celtc - Lost 1-0

The venues were the same, so by any standard we're already 5 points and 4 goals better off than last season. Of course it's early days yet, but that has to be encouraging.