PDA

View Full Version : NHC International Week - JAMES McFADDEN, I would NEVER walk away.

scott7_0(Prague)
02-09-2009, 08:44 AM
I really wish we had more Scottish professionals like McFadden. It pains me to see some the guys retiring or turning there backs on the national team, no matter how good or bad we are, representing your country is the biggest thing you can do as a footballer and I have never understood the likes of Boyd and the others not wanting to be part of it!!

Well done James, know come on Scotland pull out of the bag!!!

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/2617705/Faddy-Ill-never-walk-out-on-Scotland.html

lapsedhibee
02-09-2009, 08:57 AM
I really wish we had more Scottish professionals like McFadden. It pains me to see some the guys retiring or turning there backs on the national team, no matter how good or bad we are, representing your country is the biggest thing you can do as a footballer and I have never understood the likes of Boyd and the others not wanting to be part of it!!

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/2617705/Faddy-Ill-never-walk-out-on-Scotland.html

Wonder if the difference in attitude is anything to do with Faddy having never played for The Uglies and therefore retaining a wider perspective on things.

Viva_Palmeiras
02-09-2009, 09:01 AM
Maybe I'm a traditionalist and times have moved on but there was a time when people would have been saying so what??! to this story.

It used to be taken as read that players want to play for their country. Sad reflection on how we've "developed" - is the money sloshing around doing good or harm I wonder...

khib70
02-09-2009, 09:07 AM

:agree:Well said yourself, and McFadden. But expect a string of posts along the currently fashionable "don't give a toss about Scotland" lines in reply.

surreyhibbie
02-09-2009, 09:08 AM
Absolutely correct. :agree:when you look at the number of fans, not to mention all the guys who play football regularly, at any level, and would LOVE to wear their country's shirt, it amazes me that anyone would turn down the chance.

Never understood that one at all.

Even though I was possibly the worst player on the planet, never getting much past 5-a-sides, I remember the depressing feeling when I realised I was too old to play for Scotland! Being crap I could handle, but too old....:boo hoo:

JimBHibees
02-09-2009, 09:53 AM
Wonder if the difference in attitude is anything to do with Faddy having never played for The Uglies and therefore retaining a wider perspective on things.

Totally agree and I would throw Scottish kids who choose to play for Ireland into that also. The Old Firm attitude and the enormous associated religious and political baggage are a cancer in this country and dont help the National team, the game in general and indeed society, one iota.

Sylar
02-09-2009, 09:56 AM
The apathy of the current squad is part of the reason I don't care so much about Scotland just now as I used to. It's a catch-22 though, as the lack of care/interest from some players, combined with "injuries" means that we're left with dross.

blackpoolhibs
02-09-2009, 10:07 AM
It seems to me, the only players who give up playing for Scotland, are rangers players. Has there been anyone who has retired early :faf: thats played for any other club?:confused:

Sudds_1
02-09-2009, 10:09 AM
:agree:Well said yourself, and McFadden. But expect a string of posts along the currently fashionable "don't give a toss about Scotland" lines in reply.

.......don't give a toss about Scotland :wink:

scott7_0(Prague)
02-09-2009, 10:28 AM
Absolutely correct. :agree:when you look at the number of fans, not to mention all the guys who play football regularly, at any level, and would LOVE to wear their country's shirt, it amazes me that anyone would turn down the chance.

Even though I was possibly the worst player on the planet, never getting much past 5-a-sides, I remember the depressing feeling when I realised I was too old to play for Scotland! Being crap I could handle, but too old....:boo hoo:

Yup, passion is passion mate, I had the opportunity to represent Scotland at 16's and 18's level and even manage to score the winner against Wales in a tense 2-1 encounter and it is the best feeling in the world standing on the pitch singing the flower of Scotland and then to top it off with a goal, I think the money issue has spoiled and clubs like Rangers and Celtic put pressure on there players not to get injured (i.e retire or pull out of games.) which is a crime to the professional.

Perspective
02-09-2009, 01:24 PM
Think the point in this interview was that it was a Sun exclusive, disputing what McFadden was alleged to have said in The Daily Record recently.

Unsurprisingly, given it was the Record (and, in particular, written by the esteemed Keith Jackson) the headline, sub-headline and lengthy introduction all made out that McFadden was about to chuck it. His quotes said nothing of the sort - another indication of the contempt the Record has for the national team and George Burley.

Whatever anyone thinks about Burley, guys like Jim Traynor haven't given him a chance from the off.

The tabloids in this country sicken me.

dangermouse
02-09-2009, 01:50 PM

I'm still playing 5's and 11's in the vain hope it may yet happen although I'm probably more skilled with a pint in my hand than a ball at my feet.

Danderhall Hibs
02-09-2009, 06:29 PM
Think the point in this interview was that it was a Sun exclusive, disputing what McFadden was alleged to have said in The Daily Record recently.

Unsurprisingly, given it was the Record (and, in particular, written by the esteemed Keith Jackson) the headline, sub-headline and lengthy introduction all made out that McFadden was about to chuck it. His quotes said nothing of the sort - another indication of the contempt the Record has for the national team and George Burley.

Whatever anyone thinks about Burley, guys like Jim Traynor haven't given him a chance from the off.

The tabloids in this country sicken me.

I remember listening to Traynor's phone-in a year ago after the 1st Macedonia game and after the 1st game of qualifying he was on his back. They like to hound folk out their jobs - the same paper done the same thing with John Collins.

Richard Scott
02-09-2009, 06:32 PM
.......don't give a toss about Scotland :wink:

Nor do I :agree: :duck: