PDA

View Full Version : Could Barr Have Signed Pre-Contract?

Dashing Bob S
02-09-2009, 06:24 AM
For either us or someone else?

1. We need a CH/RB.

2. Yogi is a known admirer of Barr.

3. Yet all the activity was centred around Arfield, with no offer for Barr discussed.

4. May made the classic "covering his backside" quote about possibly losing him for nothing in January.

5. Van Zanten, who might have been used as makeweight in the deal was allowed to leave.

007 Mickey Weir
02-09-2009, 06:45 AM
I'm sure I heard that we enquired but Falkirk wanted too much. So will attempt to get him to sign a pre-contract in January. Them offer a token amount for him to move then, or just wait until the summer when we can get him for free.

Think RP/Hughes were just testing Falkirk with the £300/£400k offers for Arfield. May go in again in January if Falkirk are struggling. We are not desperate for a young midfielder. Maybe offer Boozy a 1 yr player/coach role??

Dashing Bob S
02-09-2009, 06:48 AM
I'm sure I heard that we enquired but Falkirk wanted too much. So will attempt to get him to sign a pre-contract in January. Them offer a token amount for him to move then, or just wait until the summer when we can get him for free.

Think RP/Hughes were just testing Falkirk with the £300/£400k offers for Arfield. May go in again in January if Falkirk are struggling. We are not desperate for a young midfielder. Maybe offer Boozy a 1 yr player/coach role??

Sorry, is Barr contract up in Jan? Or is it summer, meaning we can sign him pre-contract in Jan? I might have misunderstood.

Leitherhibs
02-09-2009, 06:54 AM
contracts up in summer mate.

Dashing Bob S
02-09-2009, 06:56 AM
Ah...apos. Admins, please feel free to delete this therefore senseless thread.

horseflesh
02-09-2009, 07:10 AM
Why would anyone have wanted Van Ganten as a "makeweight"?
He really was poor and im sure everyone thinks so

H18sry
02-09-2009, 07:54 AM

St Midden fans rate him and want him back :agree:

scoopyboy
02-09-2009, 09:31 AM
For either us or someone else?

1. We need a CH/RB.

2. Yogi is a known admirer of Barr.

3. Yet all the activity was centred around Arfield, with no offer for Barr discussed.

4. May made the classic "covering his backside" quote about possibly losing him for nothing in January.

5. Van Zanten, who might have been used as makeweight in the deal was allowed to leave.

Regards point 5, I wondered why Hibs announced Keenan and Wilson leaving on Monday yet waited until Tuesday to announce DVZ, JJ and Deane. I figured they might have been trying to use them as trade-ins.

BTW I'm sure someone on here has previously posted that a pre-contract could be signed anytime, not just within the last 6 months. Never fully understood it myself.

Bunter
02-09-2009, 09:52 AM
Regards point 5, I wondered why Hibs announced Keenan and Wilson leaving on Monday yet waited until Tuesday to announce DVZ, JJ and Deane. I figured they might have been trying to use them as trade-ins.

BTW I'm sure someone on here has previously posted that a pre-contract could be signed anytime, not just within the last 6 months. Never fully understood it myself.
As I understand it, A pre-contract can be signed at any time as long as you notify the player's club. Within the last six months you don't have to tell the club.

Peevemor
02-09-2009, 09:54 AM
As I understand it, A pre-contract can be signed at any time as long as you notify the player's club. Within the last six months you don't have to tell the club.

Correct, though there is generally a gentlemans agreement in place.

scoopyboy
02-09-2009, 11:32 AM
Bunter, Peevemor.

Thanks for confirming.

Maybe if that is what has happened with Barr then that is the reason Falkirk wouldn't play ball regarding Arfield.

GreenPJ
02-09-2009, 01:17 PM
Bunter, Peevemor.

Thanks for confirming.

Maybe if that is what has happened with Barr then that is the reason Falkirk wouldn't play ball regarding Arfield.

My understanding was that they need to seek the clubs permission to speak to the player if there is more than 6 months to go. Therefore all they would need to do is refuse permission to speak to him rather than play funny buggers with Arfield's transfer.

hibbybob
02-09-2009, 02:06 PM

We took him!!!!!!!!!! :confused:

NORTHERNHIBBY
02-09-2009, 03:37 PM
St Midden fans rate him and want him back :agree:

Maybe we should have used him as a part of a deal trying to hook Dorman?

Gerrintaethem
02-09-2009, 09:03 PM
Dorman is crap. Speaking to some Saints that I know, they say he is the weakest link in their team. And they have Billy Helmet in that team.

erin go bragh
02-09-2009, 09:32 PM
Dorman is crap. Speaking to some Saints that I know, they say he is the weakest link in their team. And they have Billy Helmet in that team.
his goals saved them from the drop last season:confused: looked pure quality tbh in the little games i seen him in:wink:

Gerrintaethem
02-09-2009, 09:35 PM
his goals saved them from the drop last season:confused: looked pure quality tbh in the little games i seen him in:wink:

Well I've been told from people watching him every week that he is mince, I actually asked what they thought of any bids for him and they said that they would be happy for him to be gone for free.

jacomo
02-09-2009, 11:07 PM
Well I've been told from people watching him every week that he is mince, I actually asked what they thought of any bids for him and they said that they would be happy for him to be gone for free.

I find that unbelievable. Dorman is inconsistent, but also has that little bit of creativity. Without him St Mirren would be a very predictable outfit.

ian cruise
03-09-2009, 12:26 AM
i'm a big dorman fan and would love to see him at hibs. he can be inconsistent but i believe thats down to the fact he spends so much time carrying st mirren. i'm really suprised to hear st mirren fans don't rate him, but i remember falkirk fans telling us mcbride and cregg were terrible.

he's hard working, creative and has a great delivery of the ball. i'd have taken him before arfield tbh

Iain G
03-09-2009, 03:43 AM
i'm a big dorman fan and would love to see him at hibs. he can be inconsistent but i believe thats down to the fact he spends so much time carrying st mirren. i'm really suprised to hear st mirren fans don't rate him, but i remember falkirk fans telling us mcbride and cregg were terrible.

he's hard working, creative and has a great delivery of the ball. i'd have taken him before arfield tbh

Can't see having Deeks and A Dorman in the same team would be a good combination, given Deek's current issues with the bouncer fraternity :wink::agree: