PDA

View Full Version : Three OUT at ER (JJ, DVZ and Deane released) MERGED

Barney McGrew
01-09-2009, 04:02 PM
Deane, JJ and DVZ :bye:

http://www.hibs.co.uk/news/more.php?id=3657_0_1_0_C

Mikey
01-09-2009, 04:03 PM
Making way for another announcement??????

Pedantic_Hibee
Where are the 'effin signings?!?!!?

Spike Mandela
JJ, DVZ released

Pedantic_Hibee

You would like to think they've got a wee trick up their sleeve.

Please, Petrie, save the day!

Coco Bryce
Yipee !!

Hfc_Since1875
01-09-2009, 04:04 PM
Deane, van zanten and JJ have been released!!!

Juice-Terry
Wow! :thumbsup:

Speedway
Letting JJ go is mental.

Richard Scott
Not before time. Good riddance :bye:

Saorsa

Please, Petrie, save the day!:pray:

AFKA5814_Hibs
Surely that means at least one player has come in, maybe still to be announced.. :dunno:

Spike Mandela

Please, Petrie, save the day!

Must be Barr if DVZ released.

BoltonHibee
Where are the 'effin signings?!?!!?

Patience, all in good time...

Col2

Are yo suggesting Boozy or someone else or a late annoucement re Barr?

Hibstrooper
01-09-2009, 04:05 PM
Makes no sense to let DVZ go without having a replacement in surely?

Hank Schrader
Letting JJ go is mental.

:agree:

Littlest Hobo
Good news these guys have been released and I wish them all the best but were are the new signings?? We need at least another three players ffs?:rolleyes::grr:

hibee62
Why has Deane been released? I thought he was meant to ave done well in the u-19s last year?

I guess Yogi just doesnt fancy him, still a bit of a surprise though, i expected him to go on loan.

Pedantic_Hibee

My thoughts exactly :greengrin

I'd take Derek Townsley at this point just to get a bit of excitement.

hibee_girl
Don't understand why we've let JJ go

We were crying out for experienced players

josef k
01-09-2009, 04:06 PM
Surely that means at least one player has come in, maybe still to be announced.. :dunno:

Hopefully - but it may just be that we have been more sucessful getting rid of the dead wood than getting new Wood in?

smurf
Letting JJ go is mental.

Signing him in the first place even more so.

A bigger waste of money than Eduardo Hurtardo.

hibsdaft
Letting JJ go is mental.

not going by his performances since he signed.

BEEJ
01-09-2009, 04:07 PM
Letting JJ go is mental.
Yes, I think he could have added a good deal of quality when played in the right team formation, not to mention some decent coaching of the youngsters.

However, he would have been on a sizeable salary - one of the bigger earners at the club.

cleanyman
Absolutely stupid letting JJ go, poor decision.

RIP
Shame for big Paddy

Triumphantly heralded into the first-team squad at the start of the summer - out on his ear a couple of months later

Mind you as a big target man he was probably about tenth choice for a strikers place

Good luck son!

Cabbage East
01-09-2009, 04:08 PM
Letting JJ go is a strange one.

Also, as much as I think Van Zanten is gash, it now leaves us short at right back unless there has been a signing we don't know about yet.....

hibee62

I don't get it either but Yogi did say a couple of weeks ago that he was looking to offload him so not so shocked today.

Sylar
If DVZ was released as part of a deal with Barr, it would have been stated as so by the club.

If we're going to land the lad, it will be a pre-contract.

Wilson
01-09-2009, 04:09 PM
I don't understand the JJ love in all of a sudden.

He has hardly kicked a ball since he has been here and there has hardly been a clamour for him to get a game.

He is surplus to requirements and so has been released.

BSEJVT
Looks to me that DVZ and JJ were being held as makeweights for any potential deal.

Now that they are not required they have been freed as not being part of Yogi's plans.

DVZ was IMO utter garbage

JJ showed nothing and is likely to struggle from injury to injury ivo his age

McCormack and McCann for RB

Hopefully we will have saved a bit on their wages by paying them off rather than keeping them for the duration.

More crap Mixu signings bite the dust

hibsdaft

McCann and Wotherspoon, McCormack? someone from last years U19s?

Hibbie_Cameron
01-09-2009, 04:11 PM
JJ was never going to play. No point in keeping someone that was never going to play

Speedy
01-09-2009, 04:11 PM

Wotherspoon, McCann and McCormack?

BEEJ
01-09-2009, 04:12 PM

He has hardly kicked a ball since he has been here and there has hardly been a clamour for him to get a game.

Played out of position to be fair and in a team that was 'agricultural' under Mixu. Injury hasn't helped. But scoring regularly for Finland suggests that he still has it and might have produced similar form for Hibs in the right circumstances.

In term of the wage bill, though, very expensive I would imagine.

JimBHibees
01-09-2009, 04:12 PM
McCann and Wotherspoon, McCormack? someone from last years U19s?

I dont think we can be banking on McCann given his injury record. The other 2 are out of position 2. I would imagine we have signed the guy Woods from Pars.

hibsdaft
01-09-2009, 04:14 PM

hopefully he wanted back to Finland and wanted regular football. in which case we may have negotiated a decent deal for all parties.

Spike Mandela
01-09-2009, 04:14 PM
Also freeiing them now allows them to be signed anytime in the next 6 months instead of having to sit tight at ER.

rolando hibee
01-09-2009, 04:16 PM
So liverpool didna come in for bamba!:confused:

RIP
01-09-2009, 04:17 PM
Out: 22 players - two teams worth!!!
Thierry Gathuessi (released), Ross Campbell (released, now Norwegian team), Filipe Morais (St Johnstone, free), Alastair Brown (released), Steven Notman (Berwick Rangers, free), Damon Gray (Berwick Rangers, free), Keegan Ayre (released), Patrick Mailey (released), Grzegorz Szamotulski (released), Andrew McNeil (released), David Grof (released), Denes Rosa (released), Ross Chisholm (released), Rob Jones (Scunthorpe United, undisclosed), Alan O’Brien (Swindon Town, free), Steven Fletcher (Burnley, £3m), Ewan Moyes (Livingston, Loan), Jack Wilson (released, now Doncaster), Joe Keenan (released), David Van Zanten (released), Jonatan Johannsen (released), Partick Deane (released)

In: Five plus six from the U19's plus an U19 player from down south. More to come??
Anthony Stokes (Sunderland, undisclosed), Patrick Cregg (Falkirk, free), Graham Stack (Plymouth Argyle, free), Kevin McBride (Falkirk, free), Danny Galbraith (Man Utd)

Who have I left out?

Oscar Lomax
01-09-2009, 04:17 PM
"Hibernian FC wishes the players every success in their future careers".

Future careers ie not football!:thumbsup:

cleanyman
01-09-2009, 04:18 PM
"Hibernian FC wishes the players every success in their future careers".

Future careers ie not football!:thumbsup:

Funny stuff:rolleyes:

holyrood hibbie
01-09-2009, 04:18 PM
Darren Barr and Arfield to be announced later from what I've heard from a good source.

NOLA
01-09-2009, 04:19 PM
shame it didn't work out for JJ but he was never fit and his wages would have been top dollar so its :bye: from me

josef k
hopefully he wanted back to Finland and wanted regular football. in which case we may have negotiated a decent deal for all parties.

Doubt it. He bought a castle outside Glasgow recently (!:confused:) and is married to a Scottish woman - who was a prime factor in him moving back to Scotland. So might turn up elsewhere in SPL or 1st division?

MSK
Darren Barr and Arfield to be announced later from what I've heard from a good source.Aw naw ..another "good source" post ...:rolleyes:

Richard Scott
Darren Barr and Arfield to be announced later from what I've heard from a good source.

:pray::pray::pray::pray:

TornadoHibby

Here we go again! :confused:

Sauce please? :cool2:

cwilliamson85
01-09-2009, 04:20 PM
Why is everyone panicking?

If hibs have made an approach for a player and filed a paper to the appropriate FA they have time after the deadline closes to agree personal terms etc.

Look at Berbatov last year, he was not announced till 10pm if I remember.

Best holding off the panicking until tomorrow morning.

Could be worse could be in Hearts situation.

:singing::singing:Always look on the bright side of life:singing::singing:

smurf

:grr::boo hoo:

RIP

Nope

JJ and his family are settled in Scotland. I reckon he's a stick on to end up at Tynecastle, St Mirren Park or Hamilton - one of those smaller clubs

The_Todd
Thierry Gathuessi (released), Ross Campbell (released, now Norwegian team), Filipe Morais (St Johnstone, free), Alastair Brown (released), Steven Notman (Berwick Rangers, free), Damon Gray (Berwick Rangers, free), Keegan Ayre (released), Patrick Mailey (released), Grzegorz Szamotulski (released), Andrew McNeil (released), David Grof (released), Denes Rosa (released), Ross Chisholm (released), Rob Jones (Scunthorpe United, undisclosed), Alan O’Brien (Swindon Town, free), Steven Fletcher (Burnley, £3m), Ewan Moyes (Livingston, Loan), Jack Wilson (released, now Doncaster), Joe Keenan (released), David Van Zanten (released), Jonatan Johannsen (released), Partick Deane (released)

In: Five plus six from the U19's plus an U19 player from down south. More to come??
Anthony Stokes (Sunderland, undisclosed), Patrick Cregg (Falkirk, free), Graham Stack (Plymouth Argyle, free), Kevin McBride (Falkirk, free), Danny Galbraith (Man Utd)

Who have I left out?

That's naughty - some of those players were released as long ago as January! :duck:

BEEJ

Who have I left out?
What time period is this - there are players in there who left Hibs months ago, long before the summer window even opened! :confused:

Gatheussi and Morais left in January. Grof was released in March. Notman and Ayre were last year, as I recall......

holyrood hibbie
Mate whos uncle works in Easter Road, now pun intended

NaeTechnoHibby
Letting JJ go is mental.

not going by his performances since he signed.

Yes, I think he could have added a good deal of quality when played in the right team formation, not to mention some decent coaching of the youngsters.

However, he would have been on a sizeable salary - one of the bigger earners at the club.

Letting JJ go is a strange one.

Also, as much as I think Van Zanten is gash, it now leaves us short at right back unless there has been a signing we don't know about yet.....

JJ was never going to play. No point in keeping someone that was never going to play

Played out of position to be fair and in a team that was 'agricultural' under Mixu. Injury hasn't helped. But scoring regularly for Finland suggests that he still has it and might have produced similar form for Hibs in the right circumstances.

JJ has done absolutely nothing of note in his time at Hibs, and we do need passengers who only show up for International duty :rolleyes:

I really don't see why we should keep a 34 year old, when we have 'experience' in Colin Nish and Derek Riordan, up front :thumbsup:

I wish DVZ well as he's still relatively young, and I hope he gets a club :agree: JJ too in a lesser way, as he's made his money :agree:

Edinburgh Green
01-09-2009, 04:21 PM

Wish I had sources when I was 15.

The_Todd
01-09-2009, 04:22 PM

Come off it.

Terry Tibbs was born with sources. He's well wired.

Pedantic_Hibee

If you've made this up I will hunt you down.

I know what you look like (well, if that's you in your avatar anyway).

:wink:

jgl07
Any news from the Easter Road fishman?

TornadoHibby

At Greggs likesay? :dunno:

Pedantic_Hibee
01-09-2009, 04:23 PM

I didn't even have the internet when I was 15. Or a mobile phone.

hibsbollah
01-09-2009, 04:25 PM
I hate criticism of players when there so much positivity to be concentrating on just now. But I wont miss seeing Van Zantens woeful attempts at passing the ball. JJ was an enigma, continuing to score at international level while not performing in the SPL, and Deane looked good in the highlights I saw but probably struggling to break through one of the strongest striker pools we've EVER had.

So, its all good news, no?

Velma Dinkley
01-09-2009, 04:26 PM
No news is good news. Good news is something else.

Pedantic_Hibee
01-09-2009, 04:26 PM
I hate criticism of players when there so much positivity to be concentrating on just now. But I wont miss seeing Van Zantens woeful attempts at passing the ball. JJ was an enigma, continuing to score at international level while not performing in the SPL, and Deane looked good in the highlights I saw but probably struggling to break through one of the strongest striker pools we've EVER had.

So, its all good news, no?

The news is good, yes.

It would have been nice to have seen a couple of players walking into ER though.

holyrood hibbie
01-09-2009, 04:28 PM

Ye true. Give it till 8 tonight

lapsedhibee
01-09-2009, 04:29 PM
Why is everyone panicking?

If hibs have made an approach for a player and filed a paper to the appropriate FA they have time after the deadline closes to agree personal terms etc.

Look at Berbatov last year, he was not announced till 10pm if I remember.

Best holding off the panicking until tomorrow morning.

Could be worse could be in Hearts situation.

:singing::singing:Always look on the bright side of life:singing::singing:
:hmmm: What time did the window slam shut last year? :wink:

BSEJVT
01-09-2009, 04:29 PM

I know I am in a minority of one here but I didnt think he was that bad.

I remeber him once scoring an absolute preach of a goal.

hibee62
01-09-2009, 04:31 PM
:hmmm: What time did the window slam shut last year? :wink:

It was another 5pm window as the 31st fell on a weekend so it was extended similar to this year where it fell on a bank holiday...:wink:

hibsbollah
01-09-2009, 04:31 PM

Good news is better than no news, I agree. Good no news is also better than bad new news:agree:

Dashing Bob S
01-09-2009, 04:32 PM
JJ played wide (at his age) and never got a chance at Hibs, but at 34 the clock is ticking and Yogi has done the honourable thing and let him go somewhere he can get a game. (Los Yambolinos?)

Robinho08
01-09-2009, 04:32 PM
I'm more shocked at DVZ being released? Is this not leaving us a bit short at RB?

Don't see why people think it's a bad move letting JJ go though? He has done nothing.

Hibs90
01-09-2009, 04:34 PM
I'm more shocked at DVZ being released? Is this not leaving us a bit short at RB?

Don't see why people think it's a bad move letting JJ go though? He has done nothing.

McCann, McCormack and Wotherspoon at right back.

smurf
01-09-2009, 04:34 PM
I remeber him once scoring an absolute preach of a goal.

His one and only in a meaningless friendly?

The_Sauz
01-09-2009, 04:35 PM
Thank god we did not get rid off Maka and Bamba.....who would people moan at :greengrin

oh and Hogg :wink:

Velma Dinkley
01-09-2009, 04:36 PM
Yes. No news is the new good news. Slippers are the new football boots. And diving is the new having a wee lie down because you're tired.

SquashedFrogg
01-09-2009, 04:37 PM
It was another 5pm window as the 31st fell on a weekend so it was extended similar to this year where it fell on a bank holiday...:wink:

It didn't, it closed at midnight. Sad old me sat up till the wee small hours and watched it. Robinho didn't sign for city untill just before 12am. :wink:

Pedantic_Hibee
01-09-2009, 04:38 PM
And making up transfer rumours regarding Hibs to get a bit of attention is frowned upon.

I shall be armed with a thesaurus and a list of witty put-downs later this evening in a blind rage should we not announce a signing prior to 17:45.

:devil:

chrisski33
01-09-2009, 04:43 PM

Who have I left out?

im sure ross campbell is in sweden

hibee62
01-09-2009, 04:44 PM
It didn't, it closed at midnight. Sad old me sat up till the wee small hours and watched it. Robinho didn't sign for city untill just before 12am. :wink:

Damn, just found an article saying it did shut at midnight last year. Apologies (Damn):wink:

Cropley10
01-09-2009, 04:44 PM
Come off it.

Terry Tibbs was born with sources. He's well wired.

:faf::faf::faf:

zlatan
01-09-2009, 04:45 PM
So liverpool didna come in for bamba!:confused:

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

you did a funny

Greenway
01-09-2009, 04:46 PM
Most people seem to misinterpret the phase "by mutual consent" and assume that money has somehow been freed up, when the opposite is actually true.

If a player has a couple of years left on a contract you can assume that they've got 1 year "basic" in a lump sum. 1 year is probably 6 months money. That won't include bonuses so we would save cash in the long run on players that probably wouldn't have featured, but have taken a hit in the short term.

We no doubt waited until the last moment for someone to come in for them, but unfortunately no bites were forthcoming. So this terminating of contracts has not freed up cash for new players, simply reduced the squad. It's probably a good decision given we will have a "tighter" squad to blend in training.

NaeTechnoHibby
01-09-2009, 04:50 PM

Me too :rolleyes:, Though we had signed Deeks just after 8pm :thumbsup:

Hibs.net was down for a wee while then :greengrin

Jaz
01-09-2009, 04:53 PM
The transfer window closed at 5pm today. So no new signings for us. Unless free agents are to come in?

See Antoine-Curier signed for Hamilton.

Shrekko
01-09-2009, 04:57 PM
Hold fire? The windae shut an hour ago! Be gobsmacked if there's anything else to report.

DC_Hibs
01-09-2009, 04:58 PM
If a player has a couple of years left on a contract you can assume that they've got 1 year "basic" in a lump sum. 1 year is probably 6 months money.

I would agree that pay offs are given but nowhere near the number of months salary that you are claiming.

Spike Mandela
01-09-2009, 05:00 PM
If Carlsberg did last day transfer dealings it wouldn't be like this ****ing one:faf::faf:

Rubbish!

steakbake
01-09-2009, 05:01 PM
Hold fire? The windae shut an hour ago! Be gobsmacked if there's anything else to report.

BBC announced at 1755 that Mark Brown is off to Killie from Celtic. If anything has happened, it might take some time for it to be officially announced.

lucky
After all the speculation of new players a bit disappointed we never got a center-half or right back. Arfield I was that fussed about.

Jaz

:thumbsup:

I thought I was the only one who was realising this!

matty_f
01-09-2009, 05:02 PM
BBC announced at 1755 that Mark Brown is off to Killie from Celtic. If anything has happened, it might take some time for it to be officially announced.

To be honest, I think it's clutching at straws to think there's someone coming in. I could be wrong, of course, but my gut feeling is Stokes was our last signing (and not a bad one, at that!).

Aldo
01-09-2009, 05:03 PM
Remember as long as the teams involved have faxed the SFA and informed them a fee has been agreed pending personal terms/medical etc then you never know.

Whats the point in saying we have signed someone if they fail to agree personal terms or the medical.

finger crossed but it wont be the end of the world. We still have a decent squad IMHO and not any worse than other teams.

Lets hope Le Tache has pulled one out of the bag and is waiting until that dotted line has been signed.

GG my good friends

Ray_

That's just the BBC though, SKY were reporting it as done around 16:40.

Hibbie_Cameron

That was reported on sky at about half 4 so bbc must have picked it up late

Woody1985
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

you did a funny

That's the second thread he's said that on now. He's a WUM or a YAM. Read some posts, few compliments for Hibs, lots of drivel about selling players and no money into the club etc and no comments on yam related threads. Hmmmm

steakbake
01-09-2009, 05:04 PM
To be honest, I think it's clutching at straws to think there's someone coming in. I could be wrong, of course, but my gut feeling is Stokes was our last signing (and not a bad one, at that!).

Has anyone else clutched at straws on transfer deadline day? :duck:

I was hoping there would be a more new signatures on my calendar this year. Not sure about you.

Woody1985
01-09-2009, 05:05 PM
Sorry if mentioned elsewhere but Hamilton signed Antoine-Curier.

Interesting to see how he gets on this season.

Aldo
01-09-2009, 05:05 PM

But we can live and hope can we not...O and is that the Stokes not good enough to sign for the Yams. :wink:

lapsedhibee
01-09-2009, 05:07 PM
The transfer window closed at 5pm today. So no new signings for us. Unless free agents are to come in?

See Antoine-Curier signed for Hamilton.

Is he already League Cup-tied with Dundee, or will Hamilton be able to field him? :dunno:

TheBall'sRound
01-09-2009, 05:08 PM
Is he already League Cup-tied with Dundee, or will Hamilton be able to field him? :dunno:

:top marks

The slagging that knows no boundaries; that spans all threads

Steve20
01-09-2009, 05:09 PM

No they wont.

HibeeUnderwood
01-09-2009, 05:10 PM
When Yogi mentioned that DVZ and JJ were initially in his plans, this does come as a wee bit of a surprise. Same with Deane, surely a loan spell would have been good enough for him?

All the best to them. Clearly just never worked out the way that they wanted!

Jim44
01-09-2009, 05:11 PM
With no new signings the only remaining grey area is whether Boozy as a free agent accepts the one year offer from Celtic or ends up elsewhere, perhaps Hibs. :dunno:

Sir Mixulot
01-09-2009, 05:14 PM
So that is DVZ, JJ, Deane, Wilson, and Keenan all released.
But how much compensation do you reckon Hibs have had to fork out to do this?
It is worrying how often we have done this over the last couple of seasins but what I really want to know is how hard is this hitting the club finacially?

Any ideas???:confused::confused::confused:

Pedantic_Hibee
01-09-2009, 05:16 PM
It is worrying how often we have done this over the last couple of seasins but what I really want to know is how hard is this hitting the club finacially?

Short-term pain for a long-term gain one would imagine.

Dr Jimmy
01-09-2009, 05:16 PM

I would imagine it is a lot less than if they completed their contracts or it would not be worth while.

Baader
01-09-2009, 05:17 PM
Dunno. But is still preferable to guys being on the payroll, taking a wage for the remainder of their contract with no chance of first team football...

NORTHERNHIBBY
01-09-2009, 05:34 PM
I think that we come out quite well over this. Can't quantify it in terms of money but there is a real positive message to the boys on the fringe that are still here. For the boys that have left? Well, if they are good players then they are double winners as they will have a wee golden handshake and can sign on for someone else on a freezer. Would not surprise me to see DVZ go back to Street Mirren.:bye:

BEEJ
01-09-2009, 05:38 PM
I think that we come out quite well over this. Can't quantify it in terms of money but there is a real positive message to the boys on the fringe that are still here. For the boys that have left? Well, if they are good players then they are double winners as they will have a wee golden handshake and can sign on for someone else on a freezer.

I imagine if they are in the last year of their contract they get a maximum offer of 4 or 5 months salary in their hand, enough to see them through to the next transfer window. Saves the club an equivalent amount which they would incur if the player was to see out their contract.

There will be various tax implications as well. Pay-off for the players might not be fully taxable etc etc

Part/Time Supporter
01-09-2009, 05:46 PM

I imagine if they are in the last year of their contract they get a maximum offer of 4 or 5 months salary in their hand, enough to see them through to the next transfer window. Saves the club an equivalent amount which they would incur if the player was to see out their contract.

There will be various tax implications as well. Pay-off for the players might not be fully taxable etc etc

It would be similar to the redundancy scenario (first 30K tax free)

Spike Mandela
01-09-2009, 05:56 PM
Whilst aware of DVZ's limitations he did start against Falkirk and did play reasonably well. Two weeks later he is released and nobody is brought in.

Does anyone else think that is a bit strange?:dunno:

Part/Time Supporter
01-09-2009, 05:57 PM
Whilst aware of DVZ's limitations he did start against Falkirk and did play reasonably well. Two weeks later he is released and nobody is brought in.

He was badly exposed at the Falkirk goal.

Cabbage East
01-09-2009, 05:57 PM
I was at the Falkirk game and thought he was a shambles.

Pedantic_Hibee
01-09-2009, 05:58 PM
I didn't like his teeth.

hibee-shtuggie
01-09-2009, 05:59 PM
he constantly just jockeys the opposing player and this was exposed and unhinged against falkirk, the guy just had to cut inside, he still had 2 yards of room to get his shot away. van zanten was not hibs class. as for not bringing anyone in after bumping a guy in the area where we needed to sign someone, i dont think yogi has been stupid, there might have been a deal through we dont know about.

Spike Mandela
01-09-2009, 05:59 PM
I was at the Falkirk game and thought he was a shambles.

So bad that he was binned Monza? Surely he at least could have been back up till Christmas.

zlatan
01-09-2009, 06:01 PM
His Dutch accent was terrible.

Spike Mandela
01-09-2009, 06:01 PM
he constantly just jockeys the opposing player and this was exposed and unhinged against falkirk, the guy just had to cut inside, he still had 2 yards of room to get his shot away. van zanten was not hibs class. as for not bringing anyone in after bumping a guy in the area where we needed to sign someone, i dont think yogi has been stupid, there might have been a deal through we dont know about.

How? What's the secret?

hibee-shtuggie
01-09-2009, 06:03 PM
How? What's the secret?

i dont know anything myself you just have to wonder why yogi would punt someone (however bad they might be) who can play at the RB position when we needed to sign someone there. surely he must have got in some other cover????

...WentToMowAnSPL
01-09-2009, 06:05 PM
If you played the transfer window in reverse..

DVZ out - cue lots of applause
Last minute Stokes signs .. cue everyone going nuts ..

Timing.. Timing..

(No-one would then have noticed the lack of cover in RB for weeks :greengrin)

Perspective
01-09-2009, 06:07 PM
I'd like to wish David Van Zanten all the best.

A good, honest pro. A nice guy by all acounts and, in my opinion, no-where near as bad as some people make out.

He's short of the quality I'd like to see at right-back - with Steven Whittaker the benchmark - but I don't think for a second he ever gave it any less than 100%. That's why I take exception to comments like 'wage thief'.

All the best to him and I'm sure he'll find a decent club.

Pedantic_Hibee
01-09-2009, 06:08 PM
Agreed.

I don't wish any ill on the chap. I just thought he was roundly sheeeite at football.

007 Mickey Weir
01-09-2009, 06:09 PM
RB's - McCann/McCormack/Wotherspoon/Bamba

Plenty cover for now. Look again in January. DVZ Would prob be 4th or 5th choice. In the players interest to do now.

Good luck to him, but never hibs class!

MB62
01-09-2009, 06:09 PM
I think getting these guys off the wage bill is a positive for the club as obviously none of them were in Yogi's plans. It is also very good for the players as it means they are free to find a club outwith the transfer window, and it gives them a few quid in their pockets to tide them over until they do find somewhere.

Come January, when the next Window opens, the club will saved some money, maybe not a lot, but right away, it will allow Yogi to go sign a player he has maybe been after and failed to get at the moment, simply because he has the scope in terms of squad size to do this, rather than maybe waiting in January to see if a club is going to come in for JJ, or DVZ.

Positives all around with this.

Disappointed that, at the moment, it seems we have not signed anybody else but I still feel the squad is stronger than it was this time last year, and BETTER TO WATCH.

blackpoolhibs
01-09-2009, 06:10 PM
Plenty cover for now. Look again in January. DVZ Would prob be 4th or 5th choice. In the players interest to do now.

:faf::faf::top marks

Part/Time Supporter
01-09-2009, 06:11 PM

Hello Mixu

:greengrin

down-the-slope
01-09-2009, 06:13 PM
I think its a combination of things.

Yogi wants to play a certain way..its noticable that the younger players (and those from Falkirk) are adapting to this quicker, with both full backs doinf well on Sunday given age / experience / opposition (Maloney / McGeady & two overlapping full backs)...DVZ is not learning

Yogi is an honest guy and does not want an experience pro sitting in the stand / odd sub appearance & 3rd / 4th choice who could be getting a game else where as its not good for individual or team unity.

Save senior players wages for 4 months then it can be used in January to get players who are wanted / needed (Barr being the strong rumor)...OR its already spent on Stokes

mim
01-09-2009, 06:14 PM

I think we are pretty well covered at RB with McCann, McCormack and Wotherspoon.

I suspect that Wotherspoon may become first choice there, to make room for Zoomer at right midfield.

McCormack and Hanlon are also cover for Bamba, Hogg and Murray as central defenders, so I think the squad is pretty sound.

Yogi won't stand still and he will improve the squad over time - it doesn't all have to be done now.

Saorsa
01-09-2009, 06:20 PM

Good luck to him, but never hibs class!Bamba at RB :hilarious

did you actually watch him play there last season? :bitchy:

Frogga
01-09-2009, 06:22 PM
DVZ wasn't great but I still think he was our strongest and most experienced RB so I'm disappointed he's offski.

McCann has a lot to do to hold down that position and McCormack is not a RB imo.

All the best to Van Zanten anyway.

Frogga
01-09-2009, 06:24 PM
Just a thought... Can't Murray play RB?

I'm sure he played there for us and Rangers a few times.

Baldy Foghorn
01-09-2009, 06:26 PM

Why?? He has done the square root of hee haw since he joined us

Baldy Foghorn
01-09-2009, 06:27 PM
Shame for big Paddy

Triumphantly heralded into the first-team squad at the start of the summer - out on his ear a couple of months later

Mind you as a big target man he was probably about tenth choice for a strikers place

Good luck son!

Was never first team material, just not good enough

Spike Mandela
01-09-2009, 06:28 PM
I think we are pretty well covered at RB with McCann, McCormack and Wotherspoon.

I suspect that Wotherspoon may become first choice there, to make room for Zoomer at right midfield.

McCormack and Hanlon are also cover for Bamba, Hogg and Murray as central defenders, so I think the squad is pretty sound.

Yogi won't stand still and he will improve the squad over time - it doesn't all have to be done now.

A long time at this rate Mike.

Stokes is a great signing but not necessarily an improvement on Fletch. His 4 other signings are hardly earth shattering IMO.

Think Yogi is pretty lucky (compared to Mixu)to have got Zoumma back and Benji along with inheriting(sp) some good U19 players to flesh out the squad.

Hiber-nation
01-09-2009, 06:28 PM
Why?? He has done the square root of hee haw since he joined us

Wish him and the others all the best but I honestly can't understand how some on here think he was actually going to be a player for us. He only ever had pace and that's gone.

CRAZYHIBBY
01-09-2009, 06:30 PM
so is the transfer window closed now:confused:

andyhibs
01-09-2009, 06:34 PM

Wish him and the others all the best but I honestly can't understand how some on here think he was actually going to be a player for us. He only ever had pace and that's gone.:top marks did not rate him atall , kept waiting and waiting but nowt yeh good luck to them all , but sorry not hibs class

greenlad
01-09-2009, 06:34 PM

A good, honest pro. A nice guy by all acounts and, in my opinion, no-where near as bad as some people make out.

He's short of the quality I'd like to see at right-back - with Steven Whittaker the benchmark - but I don't think for a second he ever gave it any less than 100%. That's why I take exception to comments like 'wage thief'.

Agree with this - while clearly not a worldbeater DVZ was light years ahead of some of our previous fullbacks (McQuilken, Elliot, Shannon etc) and to an extent some fans have short memories. Hibs fans have been particularly harsh on our fullbacks over the last two years or so as we were spoilt by having Whittaker and Murphy as our first choice right- and left-backs at the same time. The replacements (Gattheussi, Van Zanten, Zarabi etc) simply haven't been able to fill the boots of those two who were better than anything anybody else in the SPL had by some distance. (apart from Hutton at Rangers who wasn't at all bad IIRC) I actually think sticking with two younger lads for those positions in particular is the way forward rather than bringing in journeymen from elsewhere who the fans will instantly get on the back of.

Hanlon and Booth (albeit not quite ready yet but he soon will be) can battle it out for LB with McCormack and McCann fighting over RB. They will be murdered on the odd occasion by the odd oppponent but will hopefully grow into the positions over the months and years and be more accepted by the fans. I know McCormack is supposed to be a centre-half but he looked Ok at RB on Sunday - he certainly has the "football" to play there in the new look footballing Hibs side, he looks to make a pass and move forward although he does lack pace.

More important to get a good solid centre-half in which we've not done this time. I also hope that we stop the experimentation with Murray, Stevenson, Bamba etc at full back and play players in the correct position (notwithstanding my McCormack example above).

More importantly still I hope thats the end to the nonsense of a number 3 shirt lining up at rightback! Just a pity that you can't change squad numbers mid season at would have done Hanlon's confidence a world of good to have been handed the shirt.

jakedance
01-09-2009, 06:38 PM

Finally someone showing a bit of perspective. I agree with that 100%

Mibbes Aye
01-09-2009, 06:44 PM

Mon the DVZ :agree:

He showed up well against difficult players. The way we have changed shape suggests Yogi isn't looking for defensive full-backs, he wants folk who can play higher and that's fair enough. And that doesn't seem to be Van Zanten's natural game.

Nevertheless he'll find a team and continue to play because he's a decent player, and no reason to think he won't give his all, just like he did for Hibs.

Cheers David :thumbsup:

RIP
01-09-2009, 06:47 PM
That's naughty - some of those players were released as long ago as January! :duck:

What time period is this - there are players in there who left Hibs months ago, long before the summer window even opened! :confused:

Gatheussi and Morais left in January. Grof was released in March. Notman and Ayre were last year, as I recall......

Correct chaps - it's a Year On Year squad comparison

On the right back position

If Calum Woods or Barr are not joining us I'm sure we will see David Wotherspoon starring at right back before much longer. With Zemmama at right midfield

Team
Maka/Stack
Wotherspoon
Hogg
Bamba
Hanlon
Murray
Zemmama
McBride / Rankin
Stokes
Nish
Riordan

Dashing Bob S
01-09-2009, 06:51 PM

I'm with you on this one. DVZ wasn't what Yogi was looking for and isn't a top four SPL defender, but he was a committed player for Hibs and some of the abuse he's received on this board is classless.

Let's just thank him for his efforts and wish him well.

HibeeUnderwood
01-09-2009, 06:58 PM
Is it not just a possibility that it was Van Zanten who was doing all the unseen work :confused:

I bet you he joins another club and is a big success! oh well, all the best to him.

hibsbollah
01-09-2009, 06:59 PM
Is it not just a possibility that it was Van Zanten who was doing all the unseen work :confused:

I never saw.

Dashing Bob S
01-09-2009, 07:02 PM
The Yams could do worse than pick up our sloppy seconds - strike force of JJ and Deane would be better than the garbage they have up front now.

fife hfc
01-09-2009, 07:07 PM
Just a thought... Can't Murray play RB?

I'm sure he played there for us and Rangers a few times.

I would have Murray at right back, hanlon at left with Hogg (through default) and bamba in the centre of defence.

JDanielR1875
01-09-2009, 07:09 PM
Must be Barr if DVZ released.

More than likely. I wonder if St'Mirren will come back in for DVZ now.

hibsdaft
01-09-2009, 07:57 PM

yup. decent honest pro who got his head down and put his shift in without some of the modern melodrama and vanity so typical these days.

best of luck to him, should get another SPL move i'd have thought.

Viva_Palmeiras
01-09-2009, 08:08 PM
Does this mean that Maka, Hoggy and Nish are now shifted further into the firing line...?

Hasten to add I don't have any particular axe to grind with either as I prefer to focus on the positives but now the likes of DVZ and Keenan are outta here some folks just need a target...

BEEJ
01-09-2009, 08:12 PM
Does this mean that Maka, Hoggy and Nish are now shifted further into the firing line...?
Stevenson and Thicot appear to be edging towards that unenviable category as well.

Westie1875
01-09-2009, 08:12 PM
Correct chaps - it's a Year On Year squad comparison

On the right back position

If Calum Woods or Barr are not joining us I'm sure we will see David Wotherspoon starring at right back before much longer. With Zemmama at right midfield

Team
Maka/Stack
Wotherspoon
Hogg
Bamba
Hanlon
Murray
Zemmama
McBride / Rankin
Stokes
Nish
Riordan

No room for Cregg? :wink:

King Paddy
01-09-2009, 08:13 PM
What anouncement. The window is closed? End of.

Munson7
01-09-2009, 08:37 PM
What anouncement. The window is closed? End of.

Closes at midnight tonight so not closed yet mate.

Darth Hibbie
01-09-2009, 08:38 PM
Closes at midnight tonight so not closed yet mate.

Closed at 5pm :wink:

Darth Hibbie
01-09-2009, 08:41 PM

Hasten to add I don't have any particular axe to grind with either as I prefer to focus on the positives but now the likes of DVZ and Keenan are outta here some folks just need a target...

Don't forget Rankin :greengrin

Pedantic_Hibee
01-09-2009, 08:45 PM
I can exclusively reveal that a contract has been signed within the past 5 minutes :cool2:

I've just hired a hitman to hunt down Holyrood_Hibbie...........

ancient hibee
01-09-2009, 08:56 PM
Far be it for me to start a witch hunt but I can sensationally reveal that a number of those telling us what a dumpling DVZ is are the same people who were telling us what a wonderful signing he was and in one case was urging his signing before the event.

Pedantic_Hibee
01-09-2009, 09:16 PM
Far be it for me to start a witch hunt but I can sensationally reveal that a number of those telling us what a dumpling DVZ is are the same people who were telling us what a wonderful signing he was and in one case was urging his signing before the event.

Name and shame them :greengrin:greengrin

Guaranteed I'm one :boo hoo:

ancient hibee
01-09-2009, 09:18 PM
Name and shame them :greengrin:greengrin

Guaranteed I'm one :boo hoo:
Stealing my thunder again yah rotter.

Pedantic_Hibee
01-09-2009, 09:19 PM
Stealing my thunder again yah rotter.

Au contraire, I'm willing you to out me and several others.

ancient hibee
01-09-2009, 09:21 PM
Pour encourage l'autres?

Auckland Hibs
01-09-2009, 09:28 PM

I think Nish has had a target painted on his back for a while now.....

Pedantic_Hibee
01-09-2009, 09:28 PM
Pour encourage l'autres?

Um, I missed that lesson :boo hoo:

jacomo
01-09-2009, 09:47 PM
The Yams could do worse than pick up our sloppy seconds - strike force of JJ and Deane would be better than the garbage they have up front now.

They're short at right back too, aren't they?

I wish these two and DVZ all the best, but would be nervous if they turned up at Tynie... the potential to cause us embarassment is just too great.

majorhibs
01-09-2009, 11:18 PM
DVZ if you think Hibs are going to progress with players like that you dont obviously watch the 90, the team to go forward dont need people who just basically do not do what is required in their position and give the advantage to the opposition, while I'm on about defenders I also think we are carrying Hogg and his mistakes are too costly to take us up a gear, likewise Nish up front makes to many errors be it fouls etc, DVZ out is a start but to progress it no longer matters who is everybodys best mate & who talks the best game & who is good for 80 then goes to sleep, I want the best for MY team and sentiment and knowing players doesnt cut it in my book- if they dont perform they are emptied- end off story- following this team for 30 odd years I dont really get up or down who talks the talk- if it doesnt happen on the park get them out!

sadtom
02-09-2009, 08:50 AM
No hard feelings to the guys that have been released but JJ has done the square root of nowt since coming to us and dvz fell a bit short of the required standard, but good luck to them wherever they go.
The one i feel sorry for is Deane.
I haven't seen much of the 19's so hopefully someone can enlighten me, but PD seemed to be a big laddie (not the usual product from the Hibs midget factory:greengrin) and potentially target man material, something we dont have in abundance.
It must be a real kick in the nads for the boy being released after having just been given a contract, i hope he gets fixed up soon.