PDA

View Full Version : Our Performance

Dinkydoo
01-09-2009, 11:46 AM
I thought our performance on sunday was good in parts but a pretty inconsistant game all in all.

For the main we passed the ball well, tried to close the opposition down and didn't make too many sloppy errors at the back.

However, had Celtic played as good as they are capable of in certain that we would have been beaten by at least 2 goals.

Ok a few decisions didn't go our way (although it wasn't as if we should have had something as decisive as a penalty), a couple of corners went the wrong way and also we should have ahd a free kick or two in Riordan territory. The reason why I felt we lost the game was simply because we never pressed the game in the final half hour. After the McGeady sending off our passing, shape and energy seemed non-existant. We retreated to trying to play the long balls to Deeks and Stokes and didn't seem to get anywhere until the final 3 minutes when we suddenly came to life again.

If I was Hughes I'd be complimenting the team on parts of the performance and being critical of the things mentioned above as we let this game slip out of our grasp by not pressing or chasing Celtic down well enough in the second half.

Bamba's decision making at times was atrocious also - how many bookings does he need to get before he realises that you cany bellyflop over the top pf a player top get the ball........:confused::boo hoo:

hibs1875aye
01-09-2009, 11:51 AM
We were unlucky. The comment on McGeady - he should have gone off for that tackle on Riordan where we got the freekick on the edge of the box (which was also about 4 inches past the post if that). That game was even.

We cant control what the opposition do and we can only play the team in front of us. We were at times lucky, as were celtic. A draw would have been a much fairer reflection on that game IMHO.

Dinkydoo
01-09-2009, 12:05 PM
We were unlucky. The comment on McGeady - he should have gone off for that tackle on Riordan where we got the freekick on the edge of the box (which was also about 4 inches past the post if that). That game was even.

We cant control what the opposition do and we can only play the team in front of us. We were at times lucky, as were celtic. A draw would have been a much fairer reflection on that game IMHO.

I agree with that - it was last man and he can't be excused for pulling a player down after losing the ball so close to his own goal.

A draw would have accurately reflected the game but my point is that we only have ourselves to blame for letting this one slip through our grasp.

PotsyHibee
01-09-2009, 12:26 PM
Hogg has been getting a hard time for his performances so far this season and I tend to agree with that but I think Rankin had a shocker on Sunday too and I've not seen that mentioned anywhere.

He kept getting drawn into the centre of the park leaving Hanlon shockingly exposed and not taking advantage of the space when attacking. I've been a supported of Rankin but was less than impressed on Sunday :bitchy:

jacomo
01-09-2009, 12:57 PM
I think the reason we didn't get at least a point is that none of the subs worked. Byrne seemed a little lost and never got into the game, Zemmama's touch was below his fine standards and he seemed a little off the pace, and Nish only had 15 mins - I felt Stokes should have been replaced sooner, as he'd really struggled all afternoon.

But... we are a work in progress, and I clapped the team off at the end because I was impressed by their effort and could see a method in our play. Yogi may be trying to give as many members of the squad as possible some game time early in the season, and I can understand that, although it may cost us some points in the short term.

Overall I was impressed by what I saw and feel positive about the coming season.

ancient hibee
01-09-2009, 03:48 PM
Perhaps Celtic didn't play as well as they are capable of because they weren't allowed to?

We lost impetus when Hughes moved Wotherspoon from midfield-where he was starting to run the game-to right back were he naturally became more predictable.

HibeeUnderwood
02-09-2009, 12:11 AM
Its been the first time in ages that we have been beaten and we're not complaining about how crap the manager is and how ***** the tactics were and how to properly pass a ball etc

Never thought I'd see the day! :wink: :cool2:

Dinkydoo
02-09-2009, 11:30 AM
I've included all of my criticisms of the game so it's only fair for me to include some positives that I missed out first time round.

Wotherspoon - What a shot! A world class shot;not save as many tims seem to be confused about :wink:. Hes growing increasingly impressive each week and he really looks like hes gonny be a gem.

I felt that our midfield (bar Rankin) did a great job up until the final half hour of the game and we were unlucky not to come away from the game with something.

Stack looked pretty gid as well and considering it was a home debut against one of the OF where it's so easy to crash and burn (especially in goals), I think he deserves a lot of credit for keeping that donkey Samaras from scoring near the end of the game.

I felt that Hanlon handled himself reasonably well observing the fact that Rankin did fek all in terms of proving him with a little protection.

I certainly feel a lot more optimistic about our team than I did last year - even though we were capable of taking points from Celtic on sunday and we didn't.

GGTTH :thumbsup: