PDA

View Full Version : Media coverage re McGeady incident (merged)

Kato
31-08-2009, 05:50 PM
Showed the "incident" from every angle other than the one proves he's a cheat.

Weegie-media, eh. Wouldn't want to show poor wee diddums aiden out to be the sneak he is.

Barney McGrew
31-08-2009, 05:55 PM
Just been listening to Ewen Cameron on the Real Radio phone in and he's ripping into him.

Fair play that someone has the baws to call the cheat a cheat.

euro Hibby
31-08-2009, 06:19 PM
The Glasgow Herald has a short radio discussion with 3 newspaper journalists.

They say that there are dives and dives each are different according to what

the player is looking to achieve. The worst is a dive for a penalty. reading

between the lines if you do that you are a cheat. If you however dive over

in a less dangerous area then its a dive but an acceptable dive because it might not change the result of the game . One of these

great journalists even thinks that Aidens first booking was unjust and a tangle

of legs with Riordan. Opinions eh

Aldo
31-08-2009, 06:24 PM
Quote in one of the papers from TM

Aiden had been tackled all day...it was the 3rd or 4th time one of their players tried to bring him down...He was just TIRED.

WTF

TM look at the DIVE from all angles and it clearly shows him DIVING.

You must take daftie tablets when you manage the OF.

McGeady cheated ENDOF

Phil D. Rolls
31-08-2009, 06:27 PM
Why is diving considered a worse crime than fouling someone, sometimes to their injury?

Jumbo
Heard Jim Treanor, on Radio Scotland this morning, and fair play to him he said as far as he's concerned it was cheating and that Smeltic should come out and say as much themselves :top marks

maturehibby
What if Hanlon had been booked - this will go on his record (unjustly in this case) but is a slight on his character and later on a few more bookings might accrue and with the totting up system he is subsequently suspended would the weegie press come out and say this was unjust ? dont hold your breath on that happening .
McGeady is a wee diving cheat as as the one on the otherside Maloney and the wee one in the middle McDonald - they must have some laundry bill for the grass and mud that is taken off their kit at the end of a game

Part/Time Supporter
31-08-2009, 06:29 PM
Just been listening to Ewen Cameron on the Real Radio phone in and he's ripping into him.

Fair play that someone has the baws to call the cheat a cheat.

and no doubt Roughy will be defending him. That's the standard Real Radio approach to any issue.

Barney McGrew
31-08-2009, 06:31 PM
and no doubt Roughy will be defending him. That's the standard Real Radio approach to any issue.

How did you guess :greengrin

Amazing how many of the great unwashed who are claiming Eduardo's was a dive but McGeady's wasn't. Hypocrites.

Leithenhibby
31-08-2009, 06:35 PM
Quote in one of the papers from TM

Aiden had been tackled all day...it was the 3rd or 4th time one of their players tried to bring him down...He was just TIRED.

WTF

TM look at the DIVE from all angles and it clearly shows him DIVING.

You must take daftie tablets when you manage the OF.

McGeady cheated ENDOF

When TM was at HFC I thought he was the mutts nuts, and when he moved to WBA I thought o'well, the guy has to step-up the ladder I suppose. But now that he has joined the famous, best supporters in the world his tone and attitude has taken a turn for the worst I'm afraid :agree: Total To$$ Pot I say..

BEEJ
31-08-2009, 06:41 PM
The Glasgow Herald has a short radio discussion with 3 newspaper journalists.

They say that there are dives and dives each are different according to what

the player is looking to achieve. The worst is a dive for a penalty. reading

between the lines if you do that you are a cheat. If you however dive over

in a less dangerous area then its a dive but an acceptable dive because it might not change the result of the game .
:bitchy: It's breath-taking how blinkered these people are in their desperation to justify the actions of an OF player.

"He was at the half-way line. He wasn't seeking to gain an advantage."

Getting an opponent booked so that he has to play the last 30 minutes of the match in two-minds whether or not to go in for a tackle is a distinct advantage! And if Hanlon had been booked already and the ref had fallen for McGeady's trickery, Hanlon would have been off!

So plenty of opportunity to 'gain advantage' there. :grr:

Nauseating double-standards from Parkhead and elements of the media.

lyonhibs
31-08-2009, 06:48 PM
Showed the "incident" from every angle other than the one proves he's a cheat.

Weegie-media, eh. Wouldn't want to show poor wee diddums aiden out to be the sneak he is.

Is there any angle where - in slow motion - it isn't a blatant dive??

H18sry
31-08-2009, 06:51 PM

No Roughy came out and called him a cheat :agree:

iwasthere1972
31-08-2009, 06:54 PM
Is there any angle where - in slow motion - it isn't a blatant dive??

Aye it's commonly known as the Celtic angle.

nonshinyfinish
31-08-2009, 07:13 PM
Why is diving considered a worse crime than fouling someone, sometimes to their injury?

Because when you boot somebody up in the air, it harks back to the good old days, when men were men, sheep were worried, and these bloody fancy Dan red boots continental pooves didn't get a look in.

Jumpers for goalposts, dogs on the pitch, etc.

Kato
31-08-2009, 07:14 PM

Is it? Who is saying that?

AM was guilty of both yesterday, DR wasn't injured but AM made sure he felt it.

For what it's worth if a Hibs player had commited AM's first foul they would have probably walked.

matty_f
31-08-2009, 07:46 PM
What if Hanlon had been booked - this will go on his record (unjustly in this case) but is a slight on his character and later on a few more bookings might accrue and with the totting up system he is subsequently suspended would the weegie press come out and say this was unjust ? dont hold your breath on that happening .
McGeady is a wee diving cheat as as the one on the otherside Maloney and the wee one in the middle McDonald - they must have some laundry bill for the grass and mud that is taken off their kit at the end of a game

:bitchy: It's breath-taking how blinkered these people are in their desperation to justify the actions of an OF player.

"He was at the half-way line. He wasn't seeking to gain an advantage."

Getting an opponent booked so that he has to play the last 30 minutes of the match in two-minds whether or not to go in for a tackle is a distinct advantage! And if Hanlon had been booked already and the ref had fallen for McGeady's trickery, Hanlon would have been off!

So plenty of opportunity to 'gain advantage' there. :grr:

Nauseating double-standards from Parkhead and elements of the media.

:top marks Hanlon would certainly have received at least a yellow card for the foul, and what if Celtc had scored from the free-kick.

That he (McCheaty) got caught is the only difference between what he did and what Eduardo did, IMHO.

Brando7
31-08-2009, 08:02 PM
I can see the point in diving in the box to try n win a penalty but don't understand why u would do it on the half way line :confused:

There needs to be a straight red card actioned for divers imo

matty_f
31-08-2009, 08:04 PM
I can see the point in diving in the box to try n win a penalty but don't understand why u would do it on the half way line :confused:

He did it because he was running the ball out of play and fancied getting Hanlon into trouble.

hibsbollah
31-08-2009, 08:05 PM
He did it because he was running the ball out of play and fancied getting Hanlon into trouble.

:agree:

TheBall'sRound
31-08-2009, 08:46 PM
Will anyone else confess to assuming that the ref was booking Hanlon and thinking "Good booking, son. Take one for the team"?

:dummytit:

rossi
31-08-2009, 08:46 PM
I think he dived because there was nothing on for him and he wanted to try and take the pressure of the Celtic defence; we'd just been having a good wee spell.

clerriehibs
31-08-2009, 08:58 PM
If mcgeady went down looking for a foul, then he had plenty to gain from it. He hadn't been getting much change out of Hanlon, so getting Hanlon into the ref's book would mean mcgeady would have more leeway for running at him for the remainder of the game.

I reckon diving in the hope of getting an opposition player booked so's you can get an easier time of it is worse than diving and looking to get a penalty.

I'm in a pretty small minority hereabouts, but I'm not really convinced mcgready was even looking for the foul, never mind getting Hanlon booked.

kaimendhibs
31-08-2009, 10:28 PM
Will anyone else confess to assuming that the ref was booking Hanlon and thinking "Good booking, son. Take one for the team"?

:dummytit:

I sit at the back of the ff upper and me and my pal both thought it was a booking for hanlon. all credit to dougie mcdonald, none to mcgeady, mowbray and anyone else trying to protect the diving wee scrote

HibbyAndy
31-08-2009, 10:34 PM
Is it? Who is saying that?

AM was guilty of both yesterday, DR wasn't injured but AM made sure he felt it.

For what it's worth if a Hibs player had commited AM's first foul they would have probably walked.

That my friend is an absolute certainty.. watch Mcjudase's puss and that will tell you he was one lucky lucky boy to get away with a yellow.

He cheated just like Eduardo... he is no better. it accumulates to the same thing..' conning' the ref.

(((Fergus)))
31-08-2009, 10:35 PM

Wasn't the first time he'd dribbled the ball out of play in that game.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
31-08-2009, 10:49 PM
Because when you boot somebody up in the air, it harks back to the good old days, when men were men, sheep were worried, and these bloody fancy Dan red boots continental pooves didn't get a look in.

Jumpers for goalposts, dogs on the pitch, etc.

Correct. Diving is a bit... girly.

nonshinyfinish
31-08-2009, 10:50 PM
Correct. Diving is a bit... girly.

And kicking somebody instead of winning the ball fairly is... manly?

Sir David Gray
31-08-2009, 10:54 PM

:agree: Absolutely.

I heard Dermot Gallagher (former English referee) being interviewed on Sky Sports News earlier today and he was highlighting the unfairness of the Eduardo incident in comparison with McGeady (or anyone else who is caught by the referee).

McGeady will only serve a punishment because it was his second yellow card yesterday and he was subsequently sent off. If that dive had only been his first booking, there would have been no ban for him, because the referee noticed it and took action against him.

McGeady won't serve a suspension for diving, he will serve it because he committed two bookable offences in the same match.

However in Eduardo's case, because the referee didn't spot the dive, the authorities are able to review the incident and hand him a two match ban (or whatever it is) retrospectively.

In Eduardo's case, he WILL (probably) serve a suspension, purely for diving.

You are absolutely correct in saying that if a referee thinks a player has taken a deliberate dive, he should have the power to show that player a straight red card.

And by the way, what's with all this "simulation" carry on? It seems to me to be another case of political correctness taking hold with people being told to use a more neutral term instead of calling it like it is.

It is CHEATING.

nonshinyfinish
31-08-2009, 10:58 PM
:agree: Absolutely.

I heard Dermot Gallagher (former English referee) being interviewed on Sky Sports News earlier today and he was highlighting the unfairness of the Eduardo incident in comparison with McGeady (or anyone else who is caught by the referee).

McGeady will only serve a punishment because it was his second yellow card yesterday and he was subsequently sent off. If that dive had only been his first booking, there would have been no ban for him, because the referee noticed it and took action against him.

McGeady won't serve a suspension for diving, he will serve it because he committed two bookable offences in the same match.

However in Eduardo's case, because the referee didn't spot the dive, the authorities are able to review the incident and hand him a two match ban (or whatever it is) retrospectively.

In Eduardo's case, he WILL (probably) serve a suspension, purely for diving.

You are absolutely correct in saying that if a referee thinks a player has taken a deliberate dive, he should have the power to show that player a straight red card.

And by the way, what's with all this "simulation" carry on? It seems to me to be another case of political correctness taking hold with people being told to use a more neutral term instead of calling it like it is.

It is CHEATING.

Yes, it is.

Just like pulling a jersey is cheating, or stealing yards at a throw in is cheating.

If it was ALL just called cheating, it would be hard to distinguish, no?

So simulation is political correctness? No, it's a description of the offence. Would you describe 'ungentlemenly conduct' as political correctness?

Moulin Yarns
01-09-2009, 05:19 AM
It wasn't a dive....

Casper tripped him :casper:

MrSmith
01-09-2009, 09:07 AM
Well is he?

According to Celtic, Celtic Players and fans it's all been an injustice!!:grr: And...the SFA/SPL wont comment - what africking surprise!!

"he was knackered" "he is too clever" "he is protecting himself" "hanlon fouled him" "hanlon went down too"

Everywhere I bloody well look for transfer news (apart from here and me now starting it doh!) it seems that every media outlet is giving players and journos the platform to defend McGeady! Unbelievable! How about these media sychophants publish the truth and say it like it is - or is this to sensible?

I'm getting way wound up over this and have to vent my spleen:grr: terrbily sorry chaps!:dummytit:

RoslinInstHibby
01-09-2009, 09:14 AM
is he hell, he dived and got caught pure and simple

davemcbain
01-09-2009, 09:24 AM
Well is he?
According to Celtic, Celtic Players and fans it's all been an injustice!!:grr:

Too right an aw. Wee bleedin provincial team manufacturin a sending off. McGready has no track record of diving. none, nada nuthin.
He's one of the cleanest players in the league and he was viciously scythed down by a cunning wee nyaff. Career threatening challenge so it wiz.
Maybees managed to con the ref an aw. Oh and any impartial viewer with his swinging his leg just behind the scene of the original assault but he didnae fool anyone on Kerrydale street.

Should've been sent off himself, barely two minutes later I heard the commentator saying "Hanlon on the ba"....Handball - that's a sending off offence tae.

Shouldnae allow east coast referees in these matches. Good east end man fae glesgae, that's whit ye need.

Little more than a feeder club, claim to be fellow tims. It's a disgrace I tell you....now can someone pass me my buckie before I fall into sobriety.

Yours Sincerely
S. Dodger
GlesgaeCellickSupporterAwmylife

Phil MaGlass
01-09-2009, 09:26 AM

would that not be the Celtic VIEW,:greengrin

jakedance
01-09-2009, 09:28 AM
Back page of the Metro today and Paul Caddis is saying "he went past three or four players and if he doesn't go down he's going to get smashed.........I think it was a foul".

So if a player thinks he's going to be fouled he can dive and then even though he wasn't fouled he should get a free kick anyway? Some dodgy logic there.

Billychaotic182
01-09-2009, 10:22 AM
http://www.celticquicknews.co.uk/2009/09/hanlons-dive.php

There will try anything.:grr:

Steve-O
01-09-2009, 10:31 AM
http://www.celticquicknews.co.uk/2009/09/hanlons-dive.php

There will try anything.:grr:

A few of the comments are laughable on there. "There doesn't have to be contact for it to be a foul" :confused:

Leithenhibby
01-09-2009, 10:40 AM
PH never landed on the grass, He stood back and watched AMcg make a total can't of himself. As did everybody else that was there / watching on tv. The point saying that the refs need to watch is just a joke, they do a good and very difficult job IMO, OK, we don't always agree with them but that's part of the fun :greengrin .

lapsedhibee
01-09-2009, 10:46 AM
A few of the comments are laughable on there. "There doesn't have to be contact for it to be a foul"
Would be interesting to know what colour the sky is in their world.

Leithenhibby
01-09-2009, 10:58 AM
Good number on there have decided that PH did fall down. Would be interesting to know what colour the sky is in their world.

They will try every trick in the book, just watched it again and PH does go over but NO dive :wink: The next frame is PH clapping the refs decision :faf:

lapsedhibee
01-09-2009, 12:24 PM
They will try every trick in the book, just watched it again and PH does go over but NO dive :wink: The next frame is PH clapping the refs decision :faf:
:tsk tsk: PH accepting that he should be sent off and deliberately turning away from the ref to show his name and number in readiness. :faf:

Juice-Terry
01-09-2009, 12:43 PM
["There doesn't have to be contact for it to be a foul" :confused:[/QUOTE]

Which is true by the way... :wink:

'Mon the Cabbage!

poolman
01-09-2009, 04:30 PM

Aye, it was from the Kerrydale street camera

Maybe they should send Huffy Mowbray a copy so he can watch what really happened :bitchy:

RoYO!
01-09-2009, 04:31 PM
was watching the footage again, (sorry if this has been said),

and one thing struck me re. the "intelligence" remark,

the player said that mcgeady had beaten 3 or 4 players! that is complete baws! runs away from one then hanlon steps over. they cant even get that right. :grr:

Woody1985
01-09-2009, 05:13 PM
There was a shot of him when he was walking off the field after the red card, a Celtic players had obviously asked why he was sent off / did he dive and McGeady just raised his eyebrows and said nout. He knows he dived, he knows he was caught.

Simple as.

Ferryhibby
01-09-2009, 07:33 PM
See the weedgie papers are circling the wagons today bringing in everyone to comment that he didnt dive and isnt a cheat FFS he did dive and was rightly sent off for it fair play o dougie mcdonald for spotting it his life will be hell now

surreyhibbie
01-09-2009, 07:50 PM
I find it absolutely amazing that anyone who has seen the footage I saw could possibly doubt that he dived!

It happens, no big deal really in the scale of things but why all the fuss?

He did it,was caught and took a second booking.

get over it, Mogga!

MrSmith
01-09-2009, 08:24 PM
Had to turn Real Radio off tonight! effin cellic fans defending the indefensible was driving me mad!:grr::grr::grr::grr::grr:

Moulin Yarns
01-09-2009, 08:38 PM
was watching the footage again, (sorry if this has been said),

and one thing struck me re. the "intelligence" remark,

the player said that mcgeady had beaten 3 or 4 players! that is complete baws! runs away from one then hanlon steps over. they cant even get that right. :grr:

That is the official Celtc Statement as used by Tony. We all know it is total rubbish. If they say it often enough they'll beLIEve it

Kato
01-09-2009, 08:40 PM
The comments on that Celtc article, and the article itself, are a joke.

They truly are a bunch of really, really weird people.

ancient hibee
01-09-2009, 09:08 PM
The good thing was it was an excellent call by the ref.Other refs will now be watching McG like a hawk because they won't want to be caught out by TV missing a dive-life is about to get much tougher for him.

Scotthibs1875
01-09-2009, 09:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6w6Fkk5dOI

Fast Forward to 7 minutes:greengrin
Reaction is hilarious:thumbsup:

Hibercelona
01-09-2009, 09:40 PM
A couple of phannies. :agree:

--------
01-09-2009, 09:42 PM
Are those Celtic's own cameras in use there?

Because the angles appear to be different from the angles in the ESPN/BBC video I saw earlier. They make it look as if Paul might just have clipped McGeady on the way past, while the ESPN/BBC shots make it clear to me that Paul didn't touch him.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/8229874.stm

On the 3.00 minute mark. Comparing the shot from the main camera on the East Stand gany=try and the shot from directly behind makes it clear.

Paul didn't touch him.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
01-09-2009, 09:46 PM
And kicking somebody instead of winning the ball fairly is... manly?

It's not.................................... girly.

Saorsa
01-09-2009, 09:48 PM

Reaction is hilarious:thumbsup:Got tae wonder what the linesman is all about if he saw contact there from his position, yet the ref called it right from his, maybe McGeady isnae the only cheat.

The Green Goblin
01-09-2009, 09:50 PM

It is CHEATING.

I couldn`t agree more. Call it what it is, for goodness sake, and enough of the uneccessary disguised language to make it sound more `official` or whatever reason they changed it for. To have to call `diving/cheating` - "simulation" is both farcical and utterly ridiculous.

Now I`m off to sit down. I`m dizzy. That`s twice I`ve agreed with you in recent times now. :wink:

GG

Leithenhibby
01-09-2009, 09:51 PM
Just watched this for the umpteenth time, and I just noticed to the right of the guy that is doing the GIRFUY, there are two guys shaken heads when the ref shows the red card. :faf:

lapsedhibee
01-09-2009, 09:56 PM

Reaction is hilarious:thumbsup:

:faf:
Is it possible that Celtc fans are even more deluded than yams? :dizzy:

--------
01-09-2009, 09:58 PM
A few of the comments are laughable on there. "There doesn't have to be contact for it to be a foul" :confused:

TBF, a couple of the guys (Ned kelly and Burkey, for example) are taking the same view as ourselves.

Biggie
01-09-2009, 10:00 PM
Interesting to hear today that Eduardo has been given a 2 match ban by eufa....there you go Mr Smith, the green light to follow suit and punish Mcgreedy as a cheat, with a similar 2 match ban....unless of course you don't think he cheated. In which case you will need to state that the ref got it wrong and rescind the 2nd yellow (and we know that NEVER happens)...over to you Gordon.

Sir David Gray
01-09-2009, 10:04 PM
I couldn`t agree more. Call it what it is, for goodness sake, and enough of the uneccessary disguised language to make it sound more `official` or whatever reason they changed it for. To have to call `diving/cheating` - "simulation" is both farcical and utterly ridiculous.

Now I`m off to sit down. I`m dizzy. That`s twice I`ve agreed with you in recent times now. :wink:

GG

:tee hee:

I should get back into the Holy Ground more often. I'm sure I could soon sort that out. :greengrin

hibsbollah
02-09-2009, 07:28 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/8232935.stm

Read this laughable report on an interview with Gordon Smith after the McGeady and Eduardo dives. The McGeady incident isnt even mentioned in the report, suggesting that he wasnt even asked about it. The double standards would be glaringly obvious, but theres an obvious conspiracy to ignore the McGeady dive because it would offend Celtc.

marinello59
02-09-2009, 07:32 AM

It is CHEATING.

He is guilty of simulation. He is Scottish. Not Irish.

Speedway
01-10-2009, 08:31 PM
Ultimately I think, that if McGeady dived, there probably wasn't contact.

matty_f
01-10-2009, 08:36 PM
Ultimately I think, that if McGeady dived, there probably wasn't contact.

:tee hee: