PDA

View Full Version : Why are tickets so expensive nowadays?

Jones28
31-08-2009, 03:03 PM
3 or 4 years ago £20 for an adult ticket for Hibs vs Hearts, Aberdeen and Rantic were the usual price. I don't get why four years has bumped the prices up by £7 :confused:

Antifa Hibs
31-08-2009, 03:09 PM
OF and Hearts games have always been more expensive as far as I can remember.

I mind thats why Hearts only had about 1200 fans at the 6-2, as we were charging them £24 and other clubs £19-20, and that was almost 9 years ago.They boycotted that game (apperently).

How much is Hibs v Hamilton and St Mirren etc? Don't think its a £7 difference between Cat A & Cat B games, could be wrong mind you.

MozHibs1875
31-08-2009, 03:21 PM
The cost of ticket prices in this country is an absolute disgrace :agree:
Considering the standard of player on show, prices should be no more than £20, and im sick of hearing the excuse about the lesser money received from tv deals.

Im no expert but I would think tckts for S.P.L games must be amongst the dearest in Europe !

jgl07
31-08-2009, 03:28 PM
Considering the standard of player on show, prices should be no more than £20, and im sick of hearing the excuse about the lesser money received from tv deals.

Im no expert but I would think tckts for S.P.L games must be amongst the dearest in Europe !
Try going to Chelsea!

matty_f
31-08-2009, 03:35 PM

It's economics though - in order for clubs to field players of an acceptable standard, they need to pay the going rate.

In Scotland, the TV money is buttons, so the difference has to be made up through ticket sales. Gone are the days of tens of thousands of fans pouring through the turnstiles at Easter Road, so the price you and I pay reflects that.

We could get much cheaper tickets, but we'd have to watch some horrendous players!

RIP
31-08-2009, 03:38 PM
Does anyone have a history of how much admission was in years gone by?

Killiehibbie
31-08-2009, 03:44 PM

Tickets are expensive so they can pay average players inflated wages. What's on offer is worth about a tenner.

Broken Gnome
31-08-2009, 04:06 PM

I remember going to a Hibs-Middlebrough pre-season friendly, must've been 1997 or 98 maybe, back then it was £6 for a kid. Well I didn't actually go, because that season they bumped it up to £7 and I was £1 short.

Antifa Hibs
31-08-2009, 04:12 PM
Here's a post I made last December

(Copy n pasted it for ya)

Bored stiff here so thought i'd do a little research on SPL ticket prices on what we should be paying (Going with rate of inflation) and what we are paying today.

Rangers - Hibs - 6/4/91

Ticket price: £6.50

Going with inflation, that means today we should be paying £10.05
(Average inflation rate of 2.7%)

Hibs meet Rangers at Ibrox on 20/12/2008. Ticket price: £26.00 (Subject to £1.50 booking fee).

Hibs - Celtic - 28/09/1991

Ticket price: £8.00

Going with inflation, that means today we should be paying £12.37
(Average inflation rate of 2.7%)

Hibs versus Celtic tomorrow at Easter Road. Ticket price: £27.00

A huge difference!
It's ****ing frightening how much we are getting ripped off.

lyonhibs
31-08-2009, 06:02 PM
3 or 4 years ago £20 for an adult ticket for Hibs vs Hearts, Aberdeen and Rantic were the usual price. I don't get why four years has bumped the prices up by £7 :confused:

You are having a giraffe right??

Woody1985
31-08-2009, 06:12 PM
It's simple.

Example (made up figures);

Average price per game = £25 x 12,000 fans = £300,000

Average price per game = £27 x 11,000 fans = £297,000.

The board will factor this in, they'll know the solid fan base which most of will pay an increase every year unless the standard is shocking or the price increase massively from one year to the next.

jgl07
31-08-2009, 06:30 PM
It's simple.

The board will factor this in, they'll know the solid fan base which most of will pay an increase every year unless the standard is shocking or the price increase massively from one year to the next.
Motherwell cut prices a few years back and it had no impact on attenances.

Jack
31-08-2009, 08:48 PM

We reduced our prices this year! 2007 dont ya know!!

Estimates on here suggest we're at least 1000 down on last year (thats the same as an increased offer on Arfield). Its not all about the cost.

Brando7
31-08-2009, 08:56 PM
I still defend my opinion on players earning appearance money everytime they step onto a football field

Forgive me for thinking that is what they are paid for weekly to do

It a expensive day out at the football if u include traveling to the game, few beers, programme, match ticket, some scran then traveling back home

TamHibs
31-08-2009, 09:06 PM
In Holland to go see Ajax vs PSV its only 8 euros for an adult - i know what I would rather watch tbh

sesoim
31-08-2009, 10:16 PM
Try going to Chelsea!

By rights, taking into account what their team costs in wages, our tickets should only cost about £2.

sesoim
31-08-2009, 10:20 PM
In Holland to go see Ajax vs PSV its only 8 euros for an adult - i know what I would rather watch tbh

That's the annoying thing - why do we charge so much compared to other similar countrie? I think it is because we are next door to England and the Premiership. What they pay for players and charge for tickets should be irrelevant to us, but it seems to be used as an excuse by our teams to charge more. Also, we were forced to pay millions rebuilding our stadiums because of the Taylor report. I know it was for good reasons, but Scottish football has went downhill badly since the late-80s.

matty_f
31-08-2009, 10:25 PM
That's the annoying thing - why do we charge so much compared to other similar countrie? I think it is because we are next door to England and the Premiership. What they pay for players and charge for tickets should be irrelevant to us, but it seems to be used as an excuse by our teams to charge more. Also, we were forced to pay millions rebuilding our stadiums because of the Taylor report. I know it was for good reasons, but Scottish football has went downhill badly since the late-80s.

What countries are you referring to? Without knowing which ones you mean, I'd say that the biggest difference is likely to be in how much tv money clubs get, and how much money we have to pay the players.

We do suffer because of the money in the English game. If that wasn't there the market for players would be much cheaper, particularly for home-grown players. Just now, to try and keep our best players from heading South, we have to pay comparable wages with some English clubs.

That's what drives the prices up.

Boozy14
31-08-2009, 10:27 PM
I was really annoyed last wed at the CIS game against BRECHIN im a season ticket holder just paid short of 400 pound for my ST and i still had to pay £15 to get in,surely £10 for adults and £5 for kids would be better for a game like that,would do other people think????

sesoim
31-08-2009, 10:27 PM
It's simple.

:agree: Probably the only way we could really increase the crowd significantly (ie get 30,000+ turning up every week) would be if we built a huge new stadium, signed loads of good players and put the season tickets down to under £200 for a while, to gradually entice more fans along. Obviously that isn't feasible unless a billionaire buys us, so all the board can really do is tinker.

The damage has been done, the prices went up far too much (for a number of reasons) from the mid-80s through to now and a lot of fans have been lost permanently as a result.

Joy Zipper
01-09-2009, 07:43 AM

I paid 65 Euro for a seat up in the gods at Barcelona in April this year. It was worth it though, they beat Seville 4-0.

Steve-O
01-09-2009, 07:51 AM
I pay the equivalent of 11 quid a game over here for Wellington Phoenix, and with the quality on offer on the park, that's about the right price IMO.

A-League is nae SPL, but I definitely don't think an SPL game is worth double that price a lot of the time :no way:

James70
01-09-2009, 07:53 AM
I can remember going to Old Trafford in the 1960s watching Best, Law and Charlton. Cost me 1/6d (7.5p) to get in and 6d (2.5p) for a programme. Adding a train fare of around a shilling, it didn't make too much of a dent in my paper round income of 15 shillings (75p) a week!

scott7_0(Prague)
01-09-2009, 08:31 AM
Tell me about it, I pay around 27GBP for my season ticket at Sparta, great seats on the half way line upper tier.

For the European qualifiers we paid 3.50GBP for our seats in the Champions League qualifiers and got in for free for the UEFA qualifier, all domestic cups are for free as well.

So when I am back in Edinburgh and attending a Hibs game it breaks my heart and pocket to attend :boo hoo: all for the love though!!!! :thumbsup:

Ray_
01-09-2009, 09:06 AM
I can remember going to Old Trafford in the 1960s watching Best, Law and Charlton. Cost me 1/6d (7.5p) to get in and 6d (2.5p) for a programme. Adding a train fare of around a shilling, it didn't make too much of a dent in my paper round income of 15 shillings (75p) a week!

It only cost about 30p to watch TT's.

Phil MaGlass
01-09-2009, 09:14 AM
I paid 16 euro to watch Schalke v PSG
16 euro Ajax v Ado.

Scottish prices dont add up.

Joe Baker II
01-09-2009, 11:03 AM
It's economics though - in order for clubs to field players of an acceptable standard, they need to pay the going rate.

In Scotland, the TV money is buttons, so the difference has to be made up through ticket sales. Gone are the days of tens of thousands of fans pouring through the turnstiles at Easter Road, so the price you and I pay reflects that.

We could get much cheaper tickets, but we'd have to watch some horrendous players!

I do not see how this explains the levlels of increase referred to earlier in the thread - none of the circumstances you describe are unique to 2009. Even in the 1950s to say we had tens of thousands of fans pouring in exaggerates the reality of that era.

Craig_in_Prague
01-09-2009, 11:04 AM
3.70 for a pie and bovril as well :grr:

Joe Baker II
01-09-2009, 11:05 AM

Be careful of Petrie - style propaganda being repated until people believe it, this is not correct, Motherwell's crowds rose when they reduced prices, their gross income may have dropped but that is a different point.

Steve-O
01-09-2009, 11:05 AM
Blame Bosman...gave the power to players = wages through the roof = money has to come from somewhere = daft fans like us paying stupid amounts to watch about 70% sheeeite gamees.

Steve-O
01-09-2009, 11:06 AM
Be careful of Petrie - style propaganda being repated until people believe it, this is not correct, Motherwell's crowds rose when they reduced prices, their gross income may have dropped but that is a different point.

They also have hardly any fans in the first place which didn't help.

bournehibby
01-09-2009, 11:11 AM
:agree: About the same at ER in the early 60's. to see Stanton, O'Rourke, Stevenson, Scott, Fraser, Grant et al.........not bad value then eh ??

bh

Jones28
01-09-2009, 02:51 PM
You are having a giraffe right??
No :confused:

Aldo
01-09-2009, 03:07 PM
Try being an Arsenal fan....I have heard their cheapest St is in the region of about £850...this does not include games against Chelsea, Spurs, Man U and Liverpool also doesnt include euro of cups games.

A friend was at the emirates (he is a smellic fan) and paid £55 quid for a ticket.

They must be raking in the cash.

HUTCHYHIBBY
02-09-2009, 11:36 AM
I just bought a ticket for next Saturdays Wigan v West Ham game £21.50 in total, not a bad price. :agree:

Kojock
02-09-2009, 12:25 PM
Was down at Newcastle on Monday night and it cost £40 for a ticket to the Bar 1892 Area, the view was about the same as from the front of our West upper.

Bar 1892 is similar to Behind the Goals Bar where you can eat, drink and place a bet. A pint of lager and a double vodka cost £10.90 :shocked:

Was speaking to some season ticket holders and they paid £990 for their seasons (£1350 last season) and were calling the chairman all the greedy bassas of the day.

Didnt think the standard of football on show on Monday was any better than Hibs V Celtic.

wazoo1875
02-09-2009, 01:29 PM
Tell me about it, I pay around 27GBP for my season ticket at Sparta, great seats on the half way line upper tier.

For the European qualifiers we paid 3.50GBP for our seats in the Champions League qualifiers and got in for free for the UEFA qualifier, all domestic cups are for free as well.

So when I am back in Edinburgh and attending a Hibs game it breaks my heart and pocket to attend :boo hoo: all for the love though!!!! :thumbsup:

That sounds like a great deal to me mate , but you still have to wonder why in a city the size of prague (2mill:dunno:) , that we at Hibs have bigger attendances . How can a club like Sparta be run as well as it is , taking in such a little amount of hard cash . Someone must be taking a hefty hit in the pocket . Incidentally , what would be the average wage of a Sparta player ?

Part/Time Supporter
02-09-2009, 01:47 PM

What are their prices now?

:cool2:

scott7_0(Prague)
02-09-2009, 01:53 PM
That sounds like a great deal to me mate , but you still have to wonder why in a city the size of prague (2mill:dunno:) , that we at Hibs have bigger attendances . How can a club like Sparta be run as well as it is , taking in such a little amount of hard cash . Someone must be taking a hefty hit in the pocket . Incidentally , what would be the average wage of a Sparta player ?

1.2million is the population, but your are correct the stadium holds 20,000+ and the average is 10,000+ but the main factor or reason the football is not that well supported is Ice Hockey is the main sport in the Czech Republic, the hockey team has a arena of 15,000 and they full it every game nearly.

As for salaries, quite high actually the top players, Repka, Berger and Blasek will be on easy 10k GBP a week, the rest I have no idea about to be honest, but Sparta a rich club and owned by a wealthy Slovak company.

matty_f
02-09-2009, 02:14 PM
I do not see how this explains the levlels of increase referred to earlier in the thread - none of the circumstances you describe are unique to 2009. Even in the 1950s to say we had tens of thousands of fans pouring in exaggerates the reality of that era.

The pay is disproportionate now to what it was in previous years. There was also a wage cap in place, as far as I know (I believe Jimmy Hill was the man behind it's removal). Scottish teams were on more of a level playing field with English teams (by and large).

If you look at players' wages, they will have gone up (across football, not just the Scottish game) by way more than inflation since Bosman.

That has a direct impact on what we pay.

Jonnyboy
02-09-2009, 02:26 PM

A couple of examples from years gone by!

1961 v Belenenses in the Fairs Cup - Centre stand 7s 6d (32.5p), Wing stand 5s (25p), the enclosure 4s (20p) and the terracing 3s (15p)

1968 New Year Derby - 15s (75p) for the Centre stand and 10s (50p) for the Wing stands

1979 Derby - terracing ticket £1.00

:shocked: :greengrin

sahib
02-09-2009, 04:35 PM

1961 v Belenenses in the Fairs Cup - Centre stand 7s 6d (32.5p), Wing stand 5s (25p), the enclosure 4s (20p) and the terracing 3s (15p)

1968 New Year Derby - 15s (75p) for the Centre stand and 10s (50p) for the Wing stands

1968: I would bet the boys gate for the terraces was about two and six (12.5p) and
adult five bob(25p) or not far off. I am sure there was quite a difference between the ground and stand prices.

iwasthere1972
02-09-2009, 05:21 PM

That's a bit of an eye opener. IIRC I was probably earning about £80 a week in 1979. I could therefore afford 80 match tickets. In today's terms I would have to be earning the equivalent of about £2000 per week playing for Hibs. Wish I was. :greengrin

LancashireHibby
02-09-2009, 08:46 PM
I just bought a ticket for next Saturdays Wigan v West Ham game £21.50 in total, not a bad price. :agree:

Are you with the Wigan or West Ham fans?

Antifa Hibs
02-09-2009, 09:25 PM
£20 for West Ham fans, and TBH that is *** cracking value.

Think the best prices seem to be Sunderland, Blackburn and Bolton, gonna defo take a game at one of these places this season when we ain't playing. Fancy West Ham, Spurs, Villa or Everton and going into the away end with them.

Woody1985
02-09-2009, 09:45 PM

Was that not purely because they offered all the weeges £10 tickets for games that were on TV?

jgl07
02-09-2009, 11:54 PM
£20 for West Ham fans, and TBH that is *** cracking value.

Think the best prices seem to be Sunderland, Blackburn and Bolton
It will be cheap for teams with a big stadium (Sunderland) or poor support (Blackburn, Bolton).

If Hibs had a 25,000 capacity stadium and loads of TV money, they may be tempted to offer low priced tickets.